Drvers and shafts questions.... please help?

winmeister6

This is my first post on this forum. Fantastic forum!! Very good info and help.. Anyway..

I carry 2 drivers in my bag because I already carry 3 wedges, and don't use my 4 iron very much. I hit my 5 Iron about 200 yards and my Titleist 503H , 19deg, I can hit 80% for 4iron distance and 100% for 3iron distance. Also, 16deg Wilson Staff Hybrid for 225-235 shots. Ping G2 strong 3 wood and Ben Hogan Apex irons.

I actually own 3 drivers but SQ Max is still in the post, so, I am using both G2 8.5 with Grafalloy ProLaunch 65 stiff (45.75") and SQ Tour 8.5 with same shaft and flex but 45". I don't play much due to work and baby but I was 2HCp and long game is still ok and short game not. Still hit 12-13 greens in regulations per round. Swing speed of 115+, smooth tempo of 1.1 second, high ball hitter and neutral hand grip and straight to small fade shape on my shots.

Since many of you guys have been on Launch Monitor (None in Spain where I live), I want to pick your brain on the spec of drivers that I have. I hit my G2 higher and 15 yards longers than SQ Tour, both same loft, shaft and flex. G2 is very good driver and I use on open fairways and SQ just gives me more confident on tight holes. BUT.... I am not wild and don't hit OB or loose balls often. So, I just hit G2 as often as I can and SQ the rest of holes where you need driver. I am NOT going to BS and claim I hit 330 yards but when I played last week 4 par fives of 530 yards, I didn't need more than 5 iron for my second on any of the holes.

I really like G2 with ProLaunch 65 in stiff. Because of smooth tempo and low torque of the shaft, I get plenty of speed and trajectory and I don't snap hook it off the tee either. If I had to guess, I hit 300+ at about 12deg and spin NO idea. But, this is where my problem is... I get only 1-2 yards rolls with G2 and SQ. So, I figure that my spin rate is too high. Even in Spain and heat of summer, I only get 1-2 yards rolls. I always see my pitch mark in the ground!!

I want to hit may be a little higher with less spin. So, I was thinking G5 10.5deg with Grafalloy BiMatrax in stiff. But, does G5 spins less than G2?? Has anyone has some numbers?? I really like this combo in my mind at least!

For long term, I want to keep this G2 or replace with G5/BiMatrax combo as my LONG driver and use SQ Tour and SQ Max for tight holes. BTW, SQ Max Spec.? It's Also, 8.5 deg, NV65 in X stiff for the low, into the wind drives. I can't hit my driver with ease into the wind and I loose my tempo, so, on windy days I will swap SQ Max for SQ Tour.

Please give me your ideas and remarks?? Thanks in advance. Sorry for long post!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yes the g2 spins more then the G5 ..

when i had the g2 i had the same results no roll.

shaft will help a little but that is the inherit design of the g2.

g2 spins more than the g5???

when i demoed them not too long ago on a launch monitor, both 9.5*, prolaunch 65 stiff, the g5 was 600 rpm more.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I was hoping that 'if' G5 had lower spin rate, 10.5 deg may be same as G2's 8.5 deg. With Grafalloy BiMatrax shaft (like Tiger's), the I may be able to launch the ball 2 deg or so higher to about 14deg with about 2500rpm of spin.

I think because of of my high ball hitting style, I think the only way of getting another 10 yards is in the air. I don't think I will get some roll...

I've found this site (http://sonicboomgolf.com/distanceoptimizationdashboard.swf) and dialed in my numbers and it said that 15deg launch angle @ 2500rpm is best for my swing speed.

I think I am nearer 3000rpm+.

When SQ Max arrives (8.5deg), it is supposed to have the spin rate of about 2200rpm, and IF I COULD tee it up higher and swing it on 'the up' (even higher than I do now), it MAY do the trick. It's hard to launch 15deg with 8.5deg driver and x stiff shaft! I can see two problems with that, one is that SQ Max is even shallower face than my SQ Tour's and I find it hard to tee it up SQ Tour and hit it on the rise. It just pops up in the air and loose lots of distance, so, with SQ Max, it will be even harder! Second reason is that I play in Valencia, Spain and golf courses are by the sea and lots of sea breezes on several holes. Quite strong head-wind. It will be more useful for me to have my 'special' driver for those condition. Which was why I bought it in the first place.. Hummmm...

Any other driver heads that has high MOI and lower spin at 10deg or so ??

yes the g2 spins more then the G5 ..

when i had the g2 i had the same results no roll.

shaft will help a little but that is the inherit design of the g2.

g2 spins more than the g5???

when i demoed them not too long ago on a launch monitor, both 9.5*, prolaunch 65 stiff, the g5 was 600 rpm more.

I don't believe a 9.5 was made in either the G5 or G2. The G2 came in 8.5 and then 10 while the G5 was 9 or 10.5 so I'm not certain what you were hitting. Either way, yes the G5 does have a lower amount of spin than the G2.

That being said, the loft stamped on the head and actual loft of the face are two entirely different things. The face of my 9 degree G5 actually measures slightly less than 8.5. You may have gotten ahold of a higher lofted G5 than G2 which produced more spin.

To the original poster, look into a Bridgestone driver. They have some of the best feel at impact of any driver out right now and produce a flat trajectory that seems to roll forever. I'm testing a 9.5 J33R with a diamana blueboard and can't believe how low I'm hitting it compared to my G5 and I'm in the same situation as you, pitch mark with every drive.

I will look into the Bridgestone clubs. They are not sold very much in Europe.

The new Cobra HS9 in X speed seem like a good otion may be too? Problem is that here in Spain they don't do demo days like in Uk or Launch Monitors etc.., so, I have to rely on this forum or reviews to make up my mind.

G2 8.5 with Grafalloy ProLaunch is great option really, I know it's hard to beat, but we all want to reach our optimum potential I guess. Mind you, into the wind, G2 and ProLunch is very bad.