2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

If ever a player, Who is gonna be the next no.1

sunny007

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re McIlroy, his handicap is +5.3, which means that every time he goes out he shoots 5 under, just to stay at that handicap. he'll be good no question

Not quite....... Not even Tiger does that.. If someone shot 5 under par every time they played, chances are they'd be nearer +8 or +9! (CSS and CONGU in UK, slope rating, etc in USA)

I saw McIlroy in Dubai in Feb in the Dubai Desert Classic. He came out 3 days before the start, had lots of practice and missed the cut. He's good, but not outstanding-yet!

Saltman won't be challenging yet either as he doesn't have a tour card

Ollie Fisher would seem to be have the best chance of the emerging Brits so far, unless Luke Donald can still be called an emerging star. Harrington? Maybe, he's world number 8 and such a grinder........?

Howell could climb higher, but world number 1-I don't think so.

Edit: Somebody mentioned Schwartzel. He definitely has eveything needed. Length, shotmaking, short game, putting and a really cool temperament, and.......... he's still only 22 years old. What a prospect he is.

tiger is on another planet. everybody else is playing for no1 spot excluding tiger. Scott has to get rid of butch, he relies too much on a draw. hes gotta get flatter swing, flatter ball and hit a cut, look at what tiger is doing with his new swing. 07 will be a huge year for woods, his positions are better than ever.

I don't think a new number one is even forseeable in the near future. Tiger could have a three year lay off (random number) and still be number one. We will probably see a the new number one appear in perhaps 15 years time when Tiger desides he's done. Think of the differences between the Tour 15 years ago (conditions, players) and now. That's a whole lot of changing... who knows what will become of golf in 15 years. Think how much it has changed in 5! ;)

I think he was referring to the fact that they dont win major, they just win team competiions and exhibitions. Golf is and individual sport and the Brits only excel at the team game

Well if the American team has more major winners then why dont they win the ryder cup!!!????

I think you will also find a Scot walked through the U.S amateur this year!!!

I think he was referring to the fact that they dont win major, they just win team competiions and exhibitions. Golf is and individual sport and the Brits only excel at the team game

Well if the American team has more major winners then why dont they win the ryder cup!!!????

I think you will also find a Scot walked through the U.S amateur this year!!!

Winning a major is much different than winning the Ryder cup, totally different mentality. The Euros obviously get fired up for the event and gell as a team. The Americans are more wired for taking care of numero uno, and focusing on thier own games. I am not saying one is right or wrong, I am saying that that this type of mentality leads to the Americans winning more majors (Tiger, Phil) and leads to Sergio and Paul Casey winning the Ryder cup every two years. If you are Sergio and are happy with your legacy being built on a team competition then that is fine, but when it comes down to it I think Tiger, Phil, and Furyk would trade a major for a Ryder cup any day, it is just more important to them. And to be quite honest I dont think I blame them, Winning the Masters builds a much bigger legacy than being part of a winning team in the sport of golf. It is like tennis, when all is said and done and your are retired do people remember how many times you won Wimbeldon, or how many Davis Cup teams you were on? Team golf is for fun, individual golf is for the glory. If you like team sports watch soccer/football, rugby, basketball or baseball.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Winning a major is much different than winning the Ryder cup, totally different mentality. The Euros obviously get fired up for the event and gell as a team. The Americans are more wired for taking care of numero uno, and focusing on thier own games. I am not saying one is right or wrong, I am saying that that this type of mentality leads to the Americans winning more majors (Tiger, Phil) and leads to Sergio and Paul Casey winning the Ryder cup every two years. If you are Sergio and are happy with your legacy being built on a team competition then that is fine, but when it comes down to it I think Tiger, Phil, and Furyk would trade a major for a Ryder cup any day, it is just more important to them. And to be quite honest I dont think I blame them, Winning the Masters builds a much bigger legacy than being part of a winning team in the sport of golf. It is like tennis, when all is said and done and your are retired do people remember how many times you won Wimbeldon, or how many Davis Cup teams you were on? Team golf is for fun, individual golf is for the glory. If you like team sports watch soccer/football, rugby, basketball or baseball.

Maybe thats why you never win the ryder cup, the american selfish attitude to the game.

We will have a major winner sooner than you think!

The best players in britain are chosen for excellence programmes which will take them right to the top.

Tiger, mickelson and furyk wont be on tour for ever.

Watch out for Oliver Fisher and Rory Mcilroy in the very near future, they are the future of the game.

Maybe thats why you never win the ryder cup, the american selfish attitude to the game.

We will have a major winner sooner than you think!

The best players in britain are chosen for excellence programmes which will take them right to the top.

Tiger, mickelson and furyk wont be on tour for ever.

Watch out for Oliver Fisher and Rory Mcilroy in the very near future, they are the future of the game.

No Kidding? Isn't that what I just said? I dont know why you are getting so defensive, if you read my comments you will see that I was in fact agreeing with you. If you want to get into calling Americans selfish, or whatever when can get into a name calling game. There are plenty of steretypes I can throw at Euros as well. When it comes down to it the whole thing seems to be cyclical. During the 50's, 60's and 1970's the Americans ruled the game of golf. The Euros took over in the 80's and early 90's. It then kind of swung to a world wide game, with South Africa, Austrailia Fiji etc throwing great players into the pool. Right now it is essentially that way except the Euros havnt won a major since Jose Maria won the Masters. The fact is the Brits have done poorly in the majors since Faldo, Monty is a choker and no one else has been in contention in a long time. Sure someday it will happen, there is plenty of talent coming out of Great Britian, whether it happens at the 2007 Masters or the 2020 Open Championship, who knows, that is why it is fun to watch.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Tiger's own kid, in about 20 years.

I bet Tigers kid dominates in a different sport, assuming he has male off spring I will predict that he is the most dominate Baseball player in the game, or down hill skiier etc. Everyone thought Jacks kids would be great, I think the pressure was too great. All of Jacks kids, were good golfers, just not world class.

However if I was Tigers kid I might just go into business and finance, and take my trust fund and rule the world (cool)

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Either Tiger's kids or the best prospect to date...Phillip Francis.

Can't see enough about the young man.

No 1 will change when Tiger becomes bored with the game. Then and only then.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

• 1 month later...

If Tiger goes into another "slump" a couple of years from now, he may drop to #2. If that happens I can see someone like Phil, Adam Scott, etc. going back and forth trying to take the spot. However I dont see anyone taking over the the spot permanetly until Tiger is around 40 years old. If someone does challange him for a long period of time it will either be someone you havent heard of yet, or a young guy like Jason Day or Ryan Moore. I really like Ryan Moore, he has proved he can win at the amatuer level, if he didnt have injuies the last two years I think he would have won by now. Look for him to have a big 2007.

The current challangers and why they cant do it:

1. Phil-loses his brain under pressure

2. Ernie- Tiger has him totally psyched out.

3. Furyk-doesnt have the power, or natural talent to challenge day in day out

4. Sergio- no putter, scared of Tiger when he doesent have a teammate to hold his hand. Should have been a soccer player not a golfer.

5. Retief-he's done, will never win another major

6. Adam Scott-no killer instinct, none what so ever. Scared of leading any tournament, I get the feeling he is scared of his shadow, or reflection in the mirror.

7. Camillo- no putter, a pretty boy with no short game.

8. Luke Donald-see Furyk

9. Vijay-age is working against him, had his time to shine when Tiger was rebuilding his swing/no putter.

10. Padraig-not consistant enough, especially in the U.S. reminds me of Colin.

11. Geoff Ogilvy-Hmmmmmmm..........Let's see how responds to winning a major, will he win a few more or will he be the next Davis Love, one major and done winning them.

You hit it dead on...

Not dead on, ernie and retief both have more majors in them , so not exactly dead on, number one maybe not, but we'll see

I know everyone wants to be the first to claim a young phenom but what makes everyone think that all these juniors can take on and beat down all the pro's out there. There have been a bunch of great can't miss young players that were scheduled to be world beaters, how many actually pan out? All you can do is be the best in the venue that you play in, but the jump from the best junior golfer out there to a mid level pro is night and day. As far as Adam Scott is concerned the only thing that he has that is at an elite level is his full swing, everythng else is run of the mill. If Tiger were not around I would have to agree with the many replies that said, the number one ranking would be passed around among a handful of players, noone would hold it even a full year.

when tiger gives up his thrown at number i think for a couple of years you will see it changing every weeks between a number of players. adam scott could be in the mix, but he will not take it over like tiger did. i think it will be too late for sergio and furyk. i hope luke donald can pick it up, i like his style of play. agree, its probably a player in college or maybe in high school.

I agree 100%, being #1 is more than just playing the best. #1 has to be able to handle all the outside distractions that go with it. VJ was #1 for a short stint and he was not very good with the public spot light then his game changed. Tiger is different then past #1's he really does not miss than many cuts & when he doesn't win he's usually in the top 5 or 10.

mcca

Is this a rhetorical question ?

NO ONE will be #uno but Woods in our lifetime UNLESS he retires or gets hit with a bus.

By the time he turns 40, and is only playing 12 or so times a year ( incidentally, all run by the TW Foundation) --- all other PGA tour events will be cancelled due to a complete lack of viewing interest by the public. Most other pros will have quit the game anyway on advice of their sport Psychologist(s) who maintained that it was the only way to improve their self esteem. These guys have long since moved to the ReMax Long Drive & Pro Wrestling theater.

Everyone will be using TW drivers and fw metals with Erin Nano Rhomboid shafts, Woods irons and Tiger putters (designed by the employees' Bettinardi and Cameron). Why? Because he will have bought all the equipment companies, that's why !! It was quietly explained by Nick and Kelly (who got it from the family) that Tiger was never very happy with these buy/sell records that Greggy Norman was setting off the course in the (90)'s......

25 Majors

115 Tournament wins

Lucky Us?

Of course, Jim Nance has been telling us this since 2005 and who are we to argue ?

I wonder when tiger retires, i bet you my bottom dollar that he will win about 20 majors. And good luck to him! when do u guys think he will beat Jacks record? Btw, matt mcgowan, im not saying im going to be the best golfer in the world, i have never said that, yes i am confident, but i tell u one thing. if ur not confident, u won't succed! Im confident that i could reach tour level if i stay well and keep going, but im not saying that i will, i might brake my arm! So please do me the favour and don't try and say im telling you how good i am, i have just given a describtion of my practice timetable, and how long i played!

It has to be a Brit! Either, Ollie Fisher, Rory Mcllroy or Lloyd Saltman. But at this time the only person that can make a move towards number 1 is Sergio Garcia if he figures out how to putt and when he does that oooya Tiger watch out!

I agree.... Ollie Fisher (in 4 years time) he has the game and the head for it (4 tournaments since turning pro and 4 cuts made easy, and ranked the best amateur in the world at 16yrs old)...... scary how calm he is, very similar to Goosen..... who I think is the only player who can topple Tiger in the next 2 years..... Retief just seems to be on a mission, similar to Vijay a few years ago.

Adam Scott needs to prove how good he is week in week out. Luke Donald has the skills to win a Major, and will, but not sure he is long enough off the tee to be up there week in, week out to gain the points to be #1 ahead of Tiger. Especially when courses are getting longer....

Ernie could run them all down, but not sure if he has the desire to do it, which is a shame....because he should be #1 at some point in his career....

Phil - No Way, not got the head to get over the final hurdle

Furyk - Good Chance but needs another solid year with at least 1 major victory

Retief is my bet..... will be interesting to see how Tiger plays after the birth of his child, if he takes off a couple of months and doesn't win a major before then #1 is up for grabs this season.....

But hey we all know Tiger will win the US Masters, TPC and US Open..... have the Open and PGA off for his Kid, come back and then wipe the floor for the FedEx Cup..... :rolleyes: