2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Atlanta Area Course Review and Conditions

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played it last weekend. The greens rolled nicely (except for #2 Orchard), but were pretty soft / receptive as it was soon after lots of rain. Fairways in really nice shape, and they've reduced the length of some (not all) of the fescue on the Orchard and Logo. The Rock Garden was in surprising shape -- I always am surprised at how much I like those nine holes even though they don't "fit" at all with the Orchard and Logo nines.

The ONLY thing I do not like about that course is the gas carts. Ugh.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Anyone played Achasta? I just joined the GC Am Tour and will be playing in the season opening tournament next weekend and wanted feedback on the course conditions and level of difficulty.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Wasn't my first choice either, but the majority ruled in the group. We'll see, I'll report back...

Thanks for the info!

[quote name='dannytmc' timestamp='1348772742' post='5705713']
Should be in OK shape. I would give it 2 MORE FULL weeks before they are back or almost back to normal. If it was a full aerification, the greens may be at about 50% or so. If it were my money, I would not be playing tomorrow. I would be hard pressed to play there next weekend as well.
[/quote]

Well Danny was right...

The greens at Wolf Creek are still quite bumpy. Frustrating to lose at least 4 putts today because of that. It's not like I wasn't struggling enough as it was. The greens on the back nine were significantly slower than on the front side, which took some getting used to. There was at least one green that was in pretty rough shape, lots of sand.

Missing the fairway was absolute death today, the rough was real thick.

I'd love to go back when the greens have fully recovered and I'm hitting the ball with more consistency.

I played Chateau Elan's Woodlands course today. The course is in great shape. It looks like the greens were recently punched (within the last month) but they have definitely healed.

This is my first time playing any of the Chateau courses so to my surprise, this course was EXTREMELY tight!!! The widest hole was #1. It got tighter and tighter from that point. The fairways were in good shape. The rough wasn't as penalizing as some courses I've played this year but it had its moments. The greens, as mentioned before, are in good shape. The tee boxes are also in good shape. Overall, I'd rate my experience as great and I look forward to playing here again.

TaylorMade Spider Black

[quote name='Longshoe' timestamp='1348956088' post='5718933']
Well Danny was right...

The greens at Wolf Creek are still quite bumpy. Frustrating to lose at least 4 putts today because of that. It's not like I wasn't struggling enough as it was. The greens on the back nine were significantly slower than on the front side, which took some getting used to. There was at least one green that was in pretty rough shape, lots of sand.

Missing the fairway was absolute death today, the rough was real thick.

I'd love to go back when the greens have fully recovered and I'm hitting the ball with more consistency.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that I was right... doesn't happen often, though.

Give it another week or 2. It's a great track and I enjoy playing there. There are about 4-5 blind shots that will require some local knowledge as to where to hit driver, but a thoroughly entertaining place to play.

I know its an executive course(par 58) but Charlie Yates next to East Lake punched their greens about a month ago and they are back to full form. After all the rain we just got those greens are like mirrors. Just wish people would repair ball marks out there. I know its a matter of preference but I still prefer bentgrass to the dwarf bermuda even though its not nearly as durable. Go check for yourself I played out there Oct 3rd.

[quote name='stevesjs' timestamp='1349038959' post='5724729']
I've played achasta. It's OK at best. A valley course surrounded by mtns. but really no elevation changes. When I played it the fairways were in awful shape, had some fungus that was killing everything. The fairways were very hard pan.
[/quote]

Thanks! I am playing a tournament there on Saturday so I will report my opinions on the conditions as well.

TaylorMade Spider Black

Played Echelon in Alpharetta Sunday. Course is in very good condition overall. Greens are bent grass, firm and fast, easily the best bent greens I have played in the Atlanta area. Fairways are in good shape and cut tighter than most. Overall a nice and challenging layout but with some big elevation changes. 3 holes are serious hill climbers yielding blind shots into greens. When I played the setup was really tough with every pin tucked. I played the blues at 6500 in a good breeze and it was all I wanted. The tips here are a serious championship level challenge.

[quote name='stevesjs' timestamp='1349038959' post='5724729']
I've played achasta. It's OK at best. A valley course surrounded by mtns. but really no elevation changes. When I played it the fairways were in awful shape, had some fungus that was killing everything. The fairways were very hard pan.
[/quote]

I played Achasta Saturday the 6th of October and found it to be in fantastic shape and worthy of the occasional trip outside the 404/770/678 area code range. Not sure when you played it Steve but the fairways were lush and tightly mowed, and I didn't see any fungi. The greens rolled well (not fast or slow but fair) and the bunkers were nice and fluffy (I found them often). Overall a great course that wasn't challenging, even though I made it tougher than it should have been.

TaylorMade Spider Black

[quote name='Mdmspop' timestamp='1349797007' post='5770615']
Played Echelon in Alpharetta Sunday. Course is in very good condition overall. Greens are bent grass, firm and fast, easily the best bent greens I have played in the Atlanta area. Fairways are in good shape and cut tighter than most. Overall a nice and challenging layout but with some big elevation changes. 3 holes are serious hill climbers yielding blind shots into greens. When I played the setup was really tough with every pin tucked. I played the blues at 6500 in a good breeze and it was all I wanted. The tips here are a serious championship level challenge.
[/quote]

Anyone playing Echelon, beware! It is in very good condition -- they struggled a bit during the summer but with the cooler weather, the course is in very nice shape now. I say beware because IMO this is the most difficult course, public or private, in the Atlanta area. I don't mean in a silly way like Heritage (when I putt those greens I'm wondering where the windmill and the clown's mouth went...) but the whole layout. It takes some good play indeed to break 80 from the tips at Echelon.

I hope they find or have found a buyer. The course is too good to languish and end up the way of Long Shadow. :fie: I don't think Echelon is in danger of closing or anything, but I'd like to see a clubhouse and long-term success.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

• 1 month later...

Got my butt kicked by Southwind Golf Course this past Sunday. Overall, course was in good shape and I enjoyed the layout (especially the use of rock around the course). Greens were in good condition with minimal thin spots but some of the tee boxes were a little thin (not a huge deal since using a tee anyway).

I would agree with thejuice's post that many of the shots are blind and course knowledge would definitely help. I ended up relying on my Swing GPS app quite a bit in order to know what was ahead. Also, the fairways are kind of tight on many holes. I had issues with pulling my driver all day so that with the tight fairways = lost balls and added strokes.. I ended up abandoning it and just teeing off with my 3 wood.

I would definitely play this course again but I'm not sure how long it will remain open. I paired up with a twosome and we only saw 2 other groups the entire afternoon.

• 1 year later...

Wanted to wake this old thread up.

Anyone have updates on course conditions around the Atlanta area?

I played Wolf Creek two weekends ago and the course was in solid shape. Pretty deep and thick rough, greens are quick (not super fast) and soft with the obligatory ball marks here and there. The pace of play was solid, which is sometimes an issue.

Looking for somewhere to play on Sunday morning. Anyone have any recent info on: Coweta Club, Towne Lake Hills, City Club of Marietta, Durham Lakes, or any others in the 45 minute $50ish range. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

909 D3 9* - Speeder
909 F2 15.5*
Adams A7 19*
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW
Titleist Vokey 54*, 63*
Odyssey #9

Quick review of Apalachee trophy club:

This is probably my favorite course around. Just outside of Buford, so maybe a 30-40min north drive from downtown. Public course. Staff is very friendly. Prices are really good too. ~23$ twilight with a cart and it's worth it.

Great layout. A lot of the par 4's tempt you to use driver, but there's danger at your more "questionable" distances. A few tricky par 3's, but nothing that's super long. Tricky course overall. You can get in trouble quick here, but if you leave your ego in the clubhouse you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Chicopee Woods is in REALLY good shape. It's definitely a hike but it's worth it.

TaylorMade Spider Black

Played Durham Lakes about a week ago and it was in terrible shape. Tons of sand on the greens, fairways with lots of bare spots. I had played it last November and it wasn't in great shape, but I chalked it up to the season. It's worse now. Sad, because I think it's a layout with potential.

[quote name='darius1213' timestamp='1409071306' post='10011499']
Wanted to wake this old thread up.

Anyone have updates on course conditions around the Atlanta area?

I played Wolf Creek two weekends ago and the course was in solid shape. Pretty deep and thick rough, greens are quick (not super fast) and soft with the obligatory ball marks here and there. The pace of play was solid, which is sometimes an issue.

Looking for somewhere to play on Sunday morning. Anyone have any recent info on: Coweta Club, Towne Lake Hills, City Club of Marietta, Durham Lakes, or any others in the 45 minute $50ish range. Thanks for any help you guys can give.
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Stone Mountain has returned to some level of respectability. Greens are in the best condition I've seen in over 2 years. Tee boxes are so-so and there are areas of spottiness, but for what it's worth, it's back to very playable conditions - although the park entry fee is silly (as it relates to golf) and Stonemont #9 is one of the worst designed holes in all of golf.