2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Interesting swing I've made for myself, comments/critiques welcome

Hi all,

4 different swings with a 7 iron in the video, two from each view. Been playing for a little over three years. Taking lessons frequently but not at the moment. I took some this spring that focused on SnT and center pivot ideals, maybe you can see some of that here (splayed feet, aggressive hip slide). Then over the summer I took some from a local pro.. and soon after I began messing with staying really loose and swinging as far as I can. I want to call the final result 'noodly'. I know there are many faults here that can be worked on; but I think at the least I make a decent downswing coming from the inside and get to an okay impact position.

Ball flight with irons is maybe a medium/high trajectory that's straight or a little draw, driver plays with a slight fade (on ideal shots of course). My misses vary, maybe as a result of having such overactive wrists, legs, you name it. In the end I think my swing looks a little strange, but I get decent results with it. I would love to pick up more distance, and take advantage of my flexibility, because at the moment I don't really hit it that far (I play for 7 iron 160 carry, driver 240-250 carry).

I like to constantly mess with my swing on my own and taking various lessons, maybe to my detriment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6MZ-RRR-Q

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To embed: Are you adding the <p> if you are then don't

You should download V1 home 2.0 FREE swing analyzing software.

I downloaded your swing and watched it frame by frame in V1 home some observations that I think are very suspect moves (but if it works then it works)

1) the club head lags the hands on the take away resulting in a club shaft that is hugely behind following the hands. When your hands are belt high and in the 1/2 way back position the club is still pointing down 45 degrees about 6 feet behind the ball on the ball target line. Just about every instruction manual out there says it should be about level to the ground and pointing straight back behind the golfer.
Note During your downswing the club and hands at this 1/2 way position are in the PERFECT position recommended for the backswing. (and downswing)
It works but just seems very odd on the back swing. But like I said if it works then it works.

2) Even with 1) above you achieved a rather awesome at the top position that I would say is a great one plane swing position

3) A great lag position on the way down.

4) Great impact but the strong hip slide forward may cause issues

5) Great follow through.

You look to have a 1 plane swing that is rather impressive except for that odd take away. But then again the ball flight is the final judge and we have no idea from the video what that is.

Conclusion download V1 home 2.0 Basic
[url="http://www.v1golfacademy.com/v1home.asp"]http://www.v1golfaca....com/v1home.asp[/url]

And watch this teaser/intro to 1 plane vs 2 plane but then get his DVD's or the book. Inexpensive on Amazon from $4.00 includiong shipping ( [url="http://www.amazon.com/Plane-Truth-Golfers-One-plane-Two-Plane/dp/0071432450/ref=sr_1_fed0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354982603&sr=1-2&keywords=golf+jim+hardy"]http://www.amazon.co...=golf jim hardy[/url] )
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ot8ZzKE80"]https://www.youtube....h?v=i5ot8ZzKE80[/url]

I'll start out by saying I have no advice to give, nor would you want any from me! ha. I did just want to say I have absolutely no idea how you even make contact with the ball. I don't even mean that in a bad way, more impressed than anything. The contact sounded really strong too (good sound in your video btw).

GL with getting solid feedback. Try and embed those videos. I just copy and pasted the link into my browser to see it btw.

Ping K15 :: Graff PL Red @ 43.5"
Titleist 910f :: 15*
TaylorMade 09 Rescue 3 :: 19*
MP-59 4i-PW : 2flat : -.5" : s300
Callaway X-Forged 54/12 & 60/10
Odyssey White Hot XG #1:: Salty Grip

[quote name='Jon Robert' timestamp='1354982664' post='6038113']
To embed: Are you adding the <p> if you are then don't

You should download V1 home 2.0 FREE swing analyzing software.

I downloaded your swing and watched it frame by frame in V1 home some observations that I think are very suspect moves (but if it works then it works)

1) the club head lags the hands on the take away resulting in a club shaft that is hugely behind following the hands. When your hands are belt high and in the 1/2 way back position the club is still pointing down 45 degrees about 6 feet behind the ball on the ball target line. Just about every instruction manual out there says it should be about level to the ground and pointing straight back behind the golfer.
Note During your downswing the club and hands at this 1/2 way position are in the PERFECT position recommended for the backswing. (and downswing)
It works but just seems very odd on the back swing. But like I said if it works then it works.

2) Even with 1) above you achieved a rather awesome at the top position that I would say is a great one plane swing position

3) A great lag position on the way down.

4) Great impact

5) Great follow through.

You look to have a 1 plane swing that is rather impressive except for that odd take away. But then again the ball flight is the final judge and we have no idea from the video what that is.

Conclusion download V1 home 2.0 Basic
[url="http://www.v1golfacademy.com/v1home.asp"]http://www.v1golfaca....com/v1home.asp[/url]

And watch this teaser/intro to 1 plane vs 2 plane but then get his DVD's or the book. Inexpensive on Amazon from $4.00 includiong shipping ( [url="http://www.amazon.com/Plane-Truth-Golfers-One-plane-Two-Plane/dp/0071432450/ref=sr_1_fed0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354982603&sr=1-2&keywords=golf+jim+hardy"]http://www.amazon.co...=golf jim hardy[/url] )
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ot8ZzKE80"]https://www.youtube....h?v=i5ot8ZzKE80[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for your analysis Jon. I edited the post, don't really know how but everything works now. Yes that backswing position you mention in 1) is what I meant by noodly. I keep my wrists super loose and just let momentum carry them wherever, the thought being that if I turn with my legs, hips, then shoulders, that my wrists will naturally hinge, lag, and release and the proper moments. That was my thought process anyway, it seems to work okay.

[quote name='ChrisBouriat' timestamp='1354982879' post='6038127']
I'll start out by saying I have no advice to give, nor would you want any from me! ha. I did just want to say I have absolutely no idea how you even make contact with the ball. I don't even mean that in a bad way, more impressed than anything. The contact sounded really strong too (good sound in your video btw).

GL with getting solid feedback. Try and embed those videos. I just copy and pasted the link into my browser to see it btw.
[/quote]

Haha thanks, when I first watched it I was amazed I have been able to make the ball go where I wanted to. I think that mid-way back swing position really makes everything look weird. I could easily change by making the wrists more firm, then the club would probably be in a better position at that point and the swing wouldn't look so strange. However, at the moment it just feels uncomfortable for me to do so.

[quote name='Jon Robert' timestamp='1354982664' post='6038113']

4) Great impact but the strong hip slide forward may cause issues

[/quote]

Jon, what issues do you think the hip slide will cause? I do agree it's excessive, and I've been trying to lessen it by straightening my left leg sooner; I'm not really sure how to go about reducing it.

Van,

Your entire issue is with your hips and lower body. They turn about 50 degrees before you even take the club away AND they go forward in the backswing. (In fact they start going forward before you swing as well). Your right knee completely collapses immediately on the take away and the left knee shoots way out. You finish turning your hips before your club is half way back. If you want to improve you're going to have to work hard on getting your shoulders and hips to turn at the same time in sync in the backswing. Keep your right knee more flexed and feel the weight turns into the inside of the right knee. Tighten up the action of the lower body and everything will fall into place

I kind of agree with what everyone has said but what I see is you do some funky stuff then get yourself back in a decent postion through the ball! You seem to shove your hips way back in the start of your backswing yet you get them back in a decent position as you start your downswing. What this does is create a whole lot of inconsistancy because if your hips don't get back to where they should be who knows where the ball will end up.

I think your swing has a lot of potential but you just need to work on cleaning it up to become more consistant. I would work on a more consistant one peice takeaway and not throw your hips back so drastically on the start of the swing. I'm a firm believer in creating tension between your lower and upper body. Hips turn but only because they have too. I know in my own golf swing the more tension I can build between my lower and upper body, the farther and straighter I hit it without feeling like I've got to swing really hard with my arms and hands.

To get my upper and lower body in sync I like a basic 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock drill or something simular. You have a lot of potential and I'm a little suprised if you've been seeing an instructor they haven't adressed this and gotten the start of your swing more sychronized!

Good luck and keep working on your swing, your not far off from "getting It"!!!!!!

There's a lot going on here...

It looks like you're entire swing starts off of the hip turn. You might end up with some more consistent results if you can quiet the lower body down and initiate the swing with the shoulders turning. With the hips turning early you're not really building up any type of a coil or tension which will help pick you up some yards.

You're hands are really active. My guess is because your lower body starts the back swing everything else needs to catch up then causing really quick hands and it results in the plane being well inside of where it should be. I'm not sure if this is something you really need to focus on, but it's what is happening. My guess is starting the backswing off with the proper movement will fix this part but it might result in a lot of thin shots until you can get the timing down.

Downswing looks decent, club is back more on plane because of the overactive hands. It also appears you drop way down in the downswing, again nothing to really focus on here during practice these are all compensation moves to try and get the club back to the ball and square. You look young, I would work on these problems now because when you get older that swing will not work at all. Many aspects of it remind me of Paul Azinger (along with your build). From my perspective working on starting back with the shoulders and quieting down that lower body will fix a lot of issues.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update for anyone interested. Each swing is a different one, with some practice swings mixed in. I know there's still some funky things going on, perhaps more than a few. Tempo may look a bit better. The wedges I hit in the beginning were me trying to feel a 3/4 swing with an easy tempo, as you can still see it's still a full swing.

Funky stuff includes but is not limited to my whole hip/leg area moving around before the swing. I pretty much activate the whole swing with my lower body while keeping loose wrists which is why they lag so far behind in the back swing. I'm also not crazy about me coming up off my toes in the driver videos, with my right knee coming forward again from the side view. For the record I think the practice swing with the driver looked much better than the actual swings. If I could stay off my toes longer and keep my knees from coming forward on the side view like in the practice swing I could eliminate a lot of pulls, because it looks like I'm coming over the top in the actual swing (I think this is related to my knees crashing forward based on the practice swing v. full swing, correct me if I'm wrong). Some of the severity may come from the camera angle though.

Today I was just trying to focus on tempo and calming down my 'noodleliness', along with hopefully improving some posture and set up points. A lot can be improved, interested to hear what y'all think is the most important thing.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV7WxPexnoY&list=UUqRxbzg2Zmy3VJl4f8w8V4Q&index=1"]https://www.youtube....f8w8V4Q&index=1[/url]

• 1 month later...

[b]I've been Playing Golf for:[/b]​ 3 1/2 years
[b]My current handicap index or average score is:[/b] 80's
[b]My typical ball flight is:[/b] straight/draw with irons, straight/fade with driver
[b]The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:[/b] pull/pull hook/pull slice (so sick of hitting pulls!!)

I've managed to cut down the wiggling and bizarre take away, and raise my arm plane (just cause I guess, like I said I like to tinker way to much). I posted some practice swings to try and show what I'm feeling, and to see if that's the direction I should be headed. Again it may be the camera angle but it really looks like I'm coming across the ball at impact, and am over plane coming into it. The practice swings don't have that issue I think, so I'm really trying to feel the practice swing in the real one.

What is my biggest issue at the moment? I see my head dropping down almost instantly on the back swing and the outside in swing coming down as two big things; is there something big I'm missing that is the root of many of my problems?

Thanks for any advice.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1yBW3Oj1Ho&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1yBW3Oj1Ho&feature=player_embedded[/url]

i would like to see you build some resistance in your right hip on the back swing. It looks like you turn your hip but the resistance is not there.

Then i would grab a alignment stick put it 2 inches off your left heel in the ground. This will help with the slide. The current swing has about 5 to 6 inches easily of movement.

[quote name='vanpooten' timestamp='1354980216' post='6037977']
Hi all,

4 different swings with a 7 iron in the video, two from each view. Been playing for a little over three years. Taking lessons frequently but not at the moment. I took some this spring that focused on SnT and center pivot ideals, maybe you can see some of that here (splayed feet, aggressive hip slide). Then over the summer I took some from a local pro.. and soon after I began messing with staying really loose and swinging as far as I can. I want to call the final result 'noodly'. I know there are many faults here that can be worked on; but I think at the least I make a decent downswing coming from the inside and get to an okay impact position.

Ball flight with irons is maybe a medium/high trajectory that's straight or a little draw, driver plays with a slight fade (on ideal shots of course). My misses vary, maybe as a result of having such overactive wrists, legs, you name it. In the end I think my swing looks a little strange, but I get decent results with it. I would love to pick up more distance, and take advantage of my flexibility, because at the moment I don't really hit it that far (I play for 7 iron 160 carry, driver 240-250 carry).

I like to constantly mess with my swing on my own and taking various lessons, maybe to my detriment.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6MZ-RRR-Q[/media]
[/quote]

and this is what snt does to a good golfer. All jokes aside, you look like you are capable of having a nice swing or at one point did.

Holy Lag, Batman!

Your newer swing looks significantly better. I agree with the poster above - get a little more weight on your right side up top and increase the resistance there. The 5-6 inches of movement isn't a terrible thing but the fact that your center of gravity is ahead of the ball before you come down isn't ideal and makes the slide a problem. Your hip rotation in the back swing seems to be more of a left hip dip than a full twist. Twist against your right side and get your weight over the inside of your right foot, and see what that does for you. Then the lateral motion should come gradually on the way down, not immediately and all at once.

Very fluid though. Your flexibility is a huge asset, you just need to contain it for maximum results.

Cobra Amp Cell Pro D+73
Adams Idea A12 Pro 16* Aldila Rip
Mizuno MP33 2i
Mizuno MP-64 KBS X
Vokey SM5 52*F + 58*K
Odyssey ProType 2

[quote name='Deuce Ex' timestamp='1361040229' post='6440539']
Holy Lag, Batman!

Your newer swing looks significantly better. I agree with the poster above - get a little more weight on your right side up top and increase the resistance there. The 5-6 inches of movement isn't a terrible thing but the fact that your center of gravity is ahead of the ball before you come down isn't ideal and makes the slide a problem. Your hip rotation in the back swing seems to be more of a left hip dip than a full twist. Twist against your right side and get your weight over the inside of your right foot, and see what that does for you. Then the lateral motion should come gradually on the way down, not immediately and all at once.

Very fluid though. Your flexibility is a huge asset, you just need to contain it for maximum results.
[/quote]

Thanks Duece.

I agree now when I rewatch it that my hips are dipping, thus causing my head to dip. I think I have an overall lack of hip turning in the swing, my back swing is just the hips squatting/dipping and the down swing is a huge slide. Are there any drills you can recommend to feel that twist?

[quote name='vanpooten' timestamp='1361044228' post='6440821']
[quote name='Deuce Ex' timestamp='1361040229' post='6440539']
Holy Lag, Batman!

[/quote]

Thanks Duece.

I agree now when I rewatch it that my hips are dipping, thus causing my head to dip. I think I have an overall lack of hip turning in the swing, my back swing is just the hips squatting/dipping and the down swing is a huge slide. Are there any drills you can recommend to feel that twist?
[/quote]

For this, off the top of my head, I can't think of anything specific. Russ or Monte might. This is both a weight thing and a turn thing, but both are backswing issues and not down or through issues for you. You don't have a problem getting your hips through the ball, it's just getting them set correctly. Focus on having most of your weight posted up on the inside of your back (right) foot at the top of the swing, [i]without [/i]straightening it all the way out. You should feel yourself coiling around that right leg, with most of the weight on top of your right quad and the ball of your right foot.

One tip - try not to actively do anything with your hips. They should resist your upper torso as you turn back (not intentionally, you're just going to stretch them out naturally), but they should not jump out in front of everything as you start. Also, you should be pressing your left leg somewhat in the beginning, against the ground, not letting it give way immediately. It will naturally collapse [i]a little bit[/i] as you approach the top of your backswing and your body loads up. If you're pressing it into the ground at first, it should maintain it's amount of flex until you get a little farther on. Your left 'cheek' then should stay about level with your right, and your belt or bottom of your sweater shouldn't point so sharply at the ground. With your upper body, it will almost feel like your trying to reach your hands as high as possible, while also using your legs as a boost. Make sure to stay in balance too - it shouldn't feel like you're going to fall on your face or backside.

Hope that helps.

Cobra Amp Cell Pro D+73
Adams Idea A12 Pro 16* Aldila Rip
Mizuno MP33 2i
Mizuno MP-64 KBS X
Vokey SM5 52*F + 58*K
Odyssey ProType 2

• 6 months later...

Little swing update. Very pleased thus far. Typical flight here was mid-launching straight draw. Any thoughts appreciated.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmfbBJNrmsI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUqRxbzg2Zmy3VJl4f8w8V4Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmfbBJNrmsI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUqRxbzg2Zmy3VJl4f8w8V4Q[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='vanpooten' timestamp='1377497282' post='7745009']
Little swing update. Very pleased thus far. Typical flight here was mid-launching straight draw. Any thoughts appreciated.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmfbBJNrmsI&amp;feature=c4-overview&amp;list=UUqRxbzg2Zmy3VJl4f8w8V4Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmfbBJNrmsI&amp;feature=c4-overview&amp;list=UUqRxbzg2Zmy3VJl4f8w8V4Q[/url]
[/quote]
Your right knee stretches and the left one sticks out. Sure they move a little on a good swing, but not this much :)

This is the way the knees bend on a friend of mine. Mind you: he's only fourteen in this! (~3.5 handicap)

[Video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rcynDc8ipZw[/video]

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

[quote name='vanpooten' timestamp='1360896781' post='6431753']
[b]I've been Playing Golf for:[/b]​ 3 1/2 years
[b]My current handicap index or average score is:[/b] 80's
[b]My typical ball flight is:[/b] straight/draw with irons, straight/fade with driver
[b]The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:[/b] pull/pull hook/pull slice (so sick of hitting pulls!!)

I've managed to cut down the wiggling and bizarre take away, and raise my arm plane (just cause I guess, like I said I like to tinker way to much). I posted some practice swings to try and show what I'm feeling, and to see if that's the direction I should be headed. Again it may be the camera angle but it really looks like I'm coming across the ball at impact, and am over plane coming into it. The practice swings don't have that issue I think, so I'm really trying to feel the practice swing in the real one.

What is my biggest issue at the moment? I see my head dropping down almost instantly on the back swing and the outside in swing coming down as two big things; is there something big I'm missing that is the root of many of my problems?

Thanks for any advice.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1yBW3Oj1Ho&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[/quote]

This looks a lot better than the first video you posted, but not quite there yet. Keep up the good/hard work!

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

• 1 month later...

2 Driver swings, first face on, second DTL. Just wanted to post because it's the most pleased I've been with the way my swing looks and I was absolutely puring it that day.. so wanted to catch it on tape. Not quite there yet but progress!

*Swings start about 35 seconds in*

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y95Ri_k8vsU&t=0m40s[/media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhDaz4yHO6g