2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Can't stop early release of the lag I create in my swing

Special

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTH-GhXWmdg[/media]

Hi all, any suggestions would be a great help as my club releases way early and that explains why I don't hit the ball nearly as far as I used to. When I slow it down, I notice the club bends with lag nicely at the beginning of my downswing, but then it immediately releases way too early.

Thanks

Special

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Special' timestamp='1360012904' post='6362561']
[quote name='grumpy84' timestamp='1359999171' post='6361027']
video is private
[/quote]

Hi, how do I make my video public?

Thanks
Special
[/quote]

Go to video manager and make it unlisted or public. Right side of the screen where your user name is. You should see a lock beside the video in question.

[quote name='Coy M' timestamp='1360032989' post='6364701']
Actually doesn't look like your releasing all that early. When your hands are over the ball the shaft is behind your hands and then when the club is at impact your hands are still above the ball. Looks find. Only thing I see are them lady flex shafts
[/quote]

Thanks for your feed back! The shafts I am using are project X 6 shafts so you think I need an X stiff shaft for my irons?

To me, your problem is not releasing early, it's the flip at impact as in the pic below (not too much, but still)

What's your measured swing speed? if the swing speed is good (I'd assume around 90 looking at your swing with 6 iron) but the distance is poor than that confirms your problem is not releasing early, it's releasing incorrectly.

The flip adds a lot of loft to impact converting your say 7 iron into a 9 iron instead of delofting it to a 6 iron loft with good release.

You can either learn to release 'left' as your coming into impact sequence matches that release type. A down-the-line release will only result in a flip for you.

OR you need to change your sequence from the top to impact to match your current release (changing the sequence will change it to cross-over release automatically).

Right now, you have a pivot driven downswing (think Hunter Mahan) that has your body turning too fast for a cross-over release (think Luke Donald)...so you HAVE to stall to make contact.

result = flip at the bottom

[attachment=1522559:flip.jpg]

9.5° Ping i20 Diamana Ahina 70x
13.5° Mizuno MP-CLK Diamana Ahina 80x
17° Mizuno MP-CLK hybrid Stock x shaft
Miura Babyblades 3-P Project X 6.2 Tour
Miura 53° and 59° 1957 series
Miura KM-005 putter

Hi, thanks much! I actually was hitting balls on the range and started hitting balls with just my left hand to get the feel of no flip at impact. I was also trying to swing smooth as I have a tendency to start down way to quickly from the top. After the one handed drill, I was clocking my 5 iron 220 yards on some of the hits which is really big compared to how I have been hitting it. The video above is a nine iron. Do you think this is a drill that I need to work on or are there any other drills I should try also?

Thanks
Mike

The left hand drill definitely helps ingraining the feeling of going through the ball without breaking the left wrist.

But honestly flips happen because of right wrist losing its angle (an impulse to power the ball) and the left hand only drill teaches the right hand nothing.

Impact bag should help or just the swing thought that your hands need to continue (no slowing down) past impact helps... you may hit thin shots for a while as your hands get too much ahead at times, but that's the feeling that helps me... my hands continuing to drive post impact... need swinging THROUGH the ball instead of swinging at the ball.

search for some flat left wrist through impact (not top of the backswing) drills... there should be plenty threads here already.

this is a difficult path, as someone rightly said... the best human quality is to forgive, the next best is to go through impact with a flat left wrist. :)

9.5° Ping i20 Diamana Ahina 70x
13.5° Mizuno MP-CLK Diamana Ahina 80x
17° Mizuno MP-CLK hybrid Stock x shaft
Miura Babyblades 3-P Project X 6.2 Tour
Miura 53° and 59° 1957 series
Miura KM-005 putter

[quote name='Jarri' timestamp='1360081532' post='6367077']
The left hand drill definitely helps ingraining the feeling of going through the ball without breaking the left wrist.

But honestly flips happen because of right wrist losing its angle (an impulse to power the ball) and the left hand only drill teaches the right hand nothing.

Impact bag should help or just the swing thought that your hands need to continue (no slowing down) past impact helps... you may hit thin shots for a while as your hands get too much ahead at times, but that's the feeling that helps me... my hands continuing to drive post impact... need swinging THROUGH the ball instead of swinging at the ball.

search for some flat left wrist through impact (not top of the backswing) drills... there should be plenty threads here already.

this is a difficult path, as someone rightly said... the best human quality is to forgive, the next best is to go through impact with a flat left wrist. :)
[/quote]

As far as I was hitting my 5 iron today trying to keep my left wrist flat, I will take the difficult path! Lol Thanks a lot for your insight!

[quote name='vanpooten' timestamp='1360123778' post='6371065']
Only thing I see are them lady flex shafts
[/quote]

That's just an optical illusion created by the camera, rolling shutter effect
[/quote]

Oh well I swing a 6i 90 and use KBS X and when I see myself on camera doesn't flex half that. Also when they do the slow mo on the golf channel I never see anybodies shaft flex like that.

[quote name='Coy M' timestamp='1360195497' post='6376409']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh well I swing a 6i 90 and use KBS X and when I see myself on camera doesn't flex half that. Also when they do the slow mo on the golf channel I never see anybodies shaft flex like that.
[/quote]

Well, I tend to agree with you because I video'd one of my friends who hits his irons crazy long and his shaft doesn't do it either.

[quote name='Special' timestamp='1360076140' post='6366555']
Hi, thanks much! I actually was hitting balls on the range and started hitting balls with just my left hand to get the feel of no flip at impact. I was also trying to swing smooth as I have a tendency to start down way to quickly from the top. After the one handed drill, I was clocking my 5 iron 220 yards on some of the hits which is really big compared to how I have been hitting it. The video above is a nine iron. Do you think this is a drill that I need to work on or are there any other drills I should try also?

Thanks
Mike
[/quote]

Baseball drill.

Part of your problem is that your legs are essentially [i][b]dead[/b][/i], and you get very little forward motion THROUGH the ball and towards your target.
So the "biomechanical" effect on the power you generate is the same as if you were standing with your feet together and swinging the club with only your arms and upper body. So you are robbing yourself of AT LEAST about 20% of the distance you could generate with better movement through the ball.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Y3BxzBd48"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Y3BxzBd48[/url]

This drill is excellent at teaching you the feel of a proper weight shift on the downswing and getting your body's energy moving THROUGH the ball and TOWARDS the target.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1360248355' post='6380123']
[quote name='Special' timestamp='1360076140' post='6366555']

Thanks
Mike
[/quote]

Baseball drill.

Part of your problem is that your legs are essentially [i][b]dead[/b][/i], and you get very little forward motion THROUGH the ball and towards your target.
So the "biomechanical" effect on the power you generate is the same as if you were standing with your feet together and swinging the club with only your arms and upper body. So you are robbing yourself of AT LEAST about 20% of the distance you could generate with better movement through the ball.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Y3BxzBd48[/media]

This drill is excellent at teaching you the feel of a proper weight shift on the downswing and getting your body's energy moving THROUGH the ball and TOWARDS the target.
[/quote]

Thanks I will definitely try this drill!

Hi, look at the comparison of me on the left and my brother on the right just after impact. No wonder he hits the ball further than me with ease. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I like the baseball drill above but wondered if there is anything else to work on.

8464460271_923d339816.jpg

MikeStewComparison by Porksouse, on Flickr

[quote name='Special' timestamp='1360237575' post='6379285']
[quote name='Coy M' timestamp='1360195497' post='6376409']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I tend to agree with you because I video'd one of my friends who hits his irons crazy long and his shaft doesn't do it either.
[/quote]

All depends on the camera/ lighting/ speed of body/club. A shaft would snap if it bent half as much as the illusion shows. It is an illusion. It is very googlable.

Try to keep your right elbow close to your right hip on the downswing, not the backswing. If you release too early you will see that the right elbow moves away from your body. You will also maintain your posture better because you wont have to lift to make room for the club straightening from the early release. Your elbow close to your hip will give you the sensation of turning into impact and the down the line video will also show that the club will be working down your right forearm on the downswing. You will feel the club release after impact.

[quote name='TML' timestamp='1360724105' post='6417609']
Flipping is usually caused from getting stuck. Do you have a down the target line video? to see if you are on plane on the backswing? Take it back on plane on the backswing and the downswing just naturally happens.
[/quote]

Hi, here are two down the line swings. Thanks for your insight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1RKsgd6IJk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5teWsWF3eA