2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New putter project

I've popped in here in the past with a few questions about putter making, and even made some progress on a former design. I'm trying to build some momentum and interest in the machine shop where I work in actually COMPLETING a short run of putters, maybe 6 or something.

This is my new design, it's a little simpler from a tooling perspective than my last one. It does require some fancy CAM work, but I've been working on that and it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise this should be doable with just a couple end mills and drills. Those holes in the "tangs" go through to the face, and 1 is going to be a slightly bigger diameter than the other to move the CG to the middle of the face... that's the plan anyway.

My plan is to go with a double bend shaft. I have one on order, and I can't really make this putter until I see what those bends look like so I can position the hole for mounting the shaft. I'm going for face-balance, so the position of the shaft line is going to be pretty critical i think.

1st question for you guys is, how deep should the hole for the shaft be to ensure a good epoxy bond? The face is 0.900" tall at the center, putter is 4" toe-to-heel, 1.81" face-to-back, that's fairly typical right? Any other input/suggestions?

Thanks,

George

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color="#008000"]Interesting design! The holes from the "tangs" going right through to the face are a no no. You can't have any holes through the face of the putter... or any other club for that matter. [/color]http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-on-Clubs-and-Balls/Club-Head/

[color=#008000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]917 D3 - 9.5* (B1)
[color=#008000][b]FW:[/b][/color] 917 FD - 15* (B1)
[color=#008000][b]Hybrid:[/b][/color] 816 - 18*
[color=#008000][b]Irons:[/b] [/color]Titleist (4-PW)
[color=#008000][b]Putter:[/b][/color] [url="https://www.instagram.com/sgc_putters/?hl=en"]SGC Custom 902[/url]
[color=#008000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Vokey 52*, 56* & 60*

[quote name='Stu-Co' timestamp='1360021510' post='6363491']
[color="#008000"]Interesting design! The holes from the "tangs" going right through to the face are a no no. You can't have any holes through the face of the putter... or any other club for that matter. [/color]http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-on-Clubs-and-Balls/Club-Head/
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, wouldn't want to be gifting illegal putters.

I might change the design a bit, and try to get something a little more classic but I do kinda like the idea of one-off putters with outlandish features

[quote name='dci762' timestamp='1360072104' post='6366235']
[color=#008000]Interesting design! The holes from the "tangs" going right through to the face are a no no. You can't have any holes through the face of the putter... or any other club for that matter. [/color][url="http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-on-Clubs-and-Balls/Club-Head/"]http://www.usga.org/...alls/Club-Head/[/url]
[/quote]

I might change the design a bit, and try to get something a little more classic but I do kinda like the idea of one-off putters with outlandish features
[/quote]
[color=#008000]haha - just an FYI - in case you had it made and someone said something if it was used in a tournament. You could always use that design, but modify it so that the holes were threaded to hold weights in place...[/color]

[color=#008000][b]Putter:[/b][/color] [url="https://www.instagram.com/sgc_putters/?hl=en"]SGC Custom 902[/url]

[quote name='Stu-Co' timestamp='1360094155' post='6368235']
[quote name='dci762' timestamp='1360072104' post='6366235']
[color=#008000]Interesting design! The holes from the "tangs" going right through to the face are a no no. You can't have any holes through the face of the putter... or any other club for that matter. [/color][url="http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-on-Clubs-and-Balls/Club-Head/"]http://www.usga.org/...alls/Club-Head/[/url]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[color=#008000]haha - just an FYI - in case you had it made and someone said something if it was used in a tournament. You could always use that design, but modify it so that the holes were threaded to hold weights in place...[/color]
[/quote]

Read my mind... I'm thinking about making it 350g or so with the holes threaded for putting some screws in to add weight. Not sure what a screw weighs right now.. maybe I should make it a lower weight with nothing in it. Could just make the holes so they don't poke through, but I know dirt will get in there and piss me off. That was my only reason for putting them through so I could push debris out the other side.

Unique for sure - not my taste aesthetically, but probably would roll the ball well.

I'd be concerned (even for those not bothered by the design overall) by how close the shaft is to the ball position when centered on the face. Just think you can't possibly have any of the shaft obstruct any view of the ball from either eye of the putter. Just watch out for that as you finalize your design.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

[quote name='Titleist-Golfer' timestamp='1360135543' post='6371651']
Unique for sure - not my taste aesthetically, but probably would roll the ball well.

I'd be concerned (even for those not bothered by the design overall) by how close the shaft is to the ball position when centered on the face. Just think you can't possibly have any of the shaft obstruct any view of the ball from either eye of the putter. Just watch out for that as you finalize your design.
[/quote]
[color=#008000]It is very close to the center of the face... may be a turn off for some people.[/color]

[quote name='Stu-Co' timestamp='1360176078' post='6374089']
[quote name='Titleist-Golfer' timestamp='1360135543' post='6371651']

[/quote]
[color=#008000]It is very close to the center of the face... may be a turn off for some people.[/color]
[/quote]

The location of the shaft hole is going to be dictated by the dimensions of the bends in the TT Double Bend shaft I ordered. I need to make it so the straight section of the shaft is in line with the CG of the head, to give the face balance. The taller the bends are, the farther towards the heel I'll be able to drill that hole. What's shown there is really just an estimate. From looking at my 2-ball, and the pictures on golfsmith.com of the double bend shaft, I think I'll be able to move that back significantly. Of course then I'll have to adjust the weighting to get the CG under the sightline....

I moved the shaft towards the heel, definitely looks better now.

I also added the set screws to the back. One 7/16 set screw weighs 5 grams, and i think i'll be able to put 2 in each side, so it could be total adjustability of almost 20grams.

Working on the CAM program tonight, hopefully start making some chips next week... I ordered the shafts and grips for 3, 1 for me, 1 for the machinist that's helping me, and 1 for my lefty friend who has been begging me to do this for a while. I'm financially invested now... so no turning back?

The machine shop here can't spend time on this for $0, so i'm working with free time after work, and might come in on a weekend when things are not as crazy to get these banged out. I'd like to get this done for a trip to AZ in the 1st week of march...

haha - awesome! Looks great witht he shaft pushed back and the screws in the holes. Can't wait to see some progress!

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1360327952' post='6386919']
Is the face going to be flat?

Similar but different concept?

[url="http://masputters.com/"]http://masputters.com/[/url]
[/quote]
[color=#008000]I would say, "Different but same concept..." same as the TM Spider putters..[/color]

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1360327952' post='6386919']
Is the face going to be flat?

Similar but different concept?

[url="http://masputters.com/"]http://masputters.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Yea that is similar. One thing i don't love about my design is it won't work for picking up the ball... I like that feature but not sure of it's worth changing for that. I'll post an update as soon as I have something... Hopefully monday/tuesday next week.