2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Back pain/soreness from putting practice

I practice putting for 90 minutes or so every morning before I go to work 3-4 days a week. I often feel like my lower back is sore and achy for a couple hours afterward. I don't have any real pain after hitting balls or swinging, it's really just when I putt for an extended period of time. Anyone else experience this? Did anyone find success by changing their setup to ease the strain on their back? Incorporating stretching/excercise? I'm not even 25 years old, I have good posture generally, I don't have any history of injuries, and I'm 6 feet tall using a 35" putter in case any of those factors matter. Not a big gym guy but I walk 9 holes at least 2-3 times a week and typically walk 18 1-2 times per week. The soreness doesn't inhibit my ability to do anything, but it tends to pop up from time to time. Is it possible that it's just an overuse problem since I practice so often, or should I consider changing my setup/posture or do a certain set of exercises/stretches? 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, kiawah said:

I practice putting for 90 minutes or so every morning before I go to work 3-4 days a week. I often feel like my lower back is sore and achy for a couple hours afterward. I don't have any real pain after hitting balls or swinging, it's really just when I putt for an extended period of time. Anyone else experience this? Did anyone find success by changing their setup to ease the strain on their back? Incorporating stretching/excercise? I'm not even 25 years old, I have good posture generally, I don't have any history of injuries, and I'm 6 feet tall using a 35" putter in case any of those factors matter. Not a big gym guy but I walk 9 holes at least 2-3 times a week and typically walk 18 1-2 times per week. The soreness doesn't inhibit my ability to do anything, but it tends to pop up from time to time. Is it possible that it's just an overuse problem since I practice so often, or should I consider changing my setup/posture or do a certain set of exercises/stretches? 

Do you hit a putt and just rake another into place? It might be better to go through your routine on every putt and stretch the low back out. 

Edited by tthomasgolfer605

Posted (edited)

Pretty common thing. Even Tiger had issues which is why he switched to a longer putter.

That might be an option for you. Adding an inch or two in length can make more of a difference than you would think.

Outside of that, back strengthening exercises are always a good idea.

Edited by Abh159

Poor core strength contributes to this by relying too much on the back for support when bending over.  Sit-ups aren’t the answer , they also stress the back.  There’s  many other good exercises to improve core strength. 

https://www.mytpi.com/exercises#filter?area=fitness&page=1&body=core

You’re young , get the core in shape and save your back,  a lifetime of poor core strength will damage your spine.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, st1800e said:

Poor core strength contributes to this by relying too much on the back for support when bending over.  Sit-ups aren’t the answer , they also stress the back.  There’s  many other good exercises to improve core strength. 

https://www.mytpi.com/exercises#filter?area=fitness&page=1&body=core

You’re young , get the core in shape and save your back,  a lifetime of poor core strength will damage your spine.  

Thanks for sharing. I figure it will go a long way to develop good habits to save myself down the road. Never too soon to start thinking about longevity.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

Do you hit a putt and just rake another into place? It might be better to go through your routine on every putt and stretch the low back out. 

I am generally pretty thoughtful about my routine in practice but might need to start reading the putt every time even if I already know what it's gonna do. I was kind of raking them this morning because I was just trying to make as many as I could in a row with a gate drill from 3 feet away. That could be the culprit 

Google "Spondylolisthesis."   This reared it's head around when I turned 30.  Suffered from a sore back (putting, standing, etc...) for a long while and it got worse.  Doctor took an x-ray and told me what I had.  Very common back issue and many have it and nothing ever happens.  I'm not a big workout kind of guy and have taken different meds over the years.  Start my day with 2 Aleve and sometimes ramp it up with Advil during golf.  It's been better.  It's been worse.  Do some core work and have better posture.

As far as practicing, I don't do it for too long or if I want to do more, I need to sit down for 5 minutes and let everything calm down.  

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Practiced putting for a while the night before a member-member, and I could barely get out of bed the next morning from my back being so sore. When I told someone about it the next day, he said, "Did you stretch your hamstrings first?" After telling him it was my back -- not my legs -- that felt crippled, he insisted that my back soreness was due to not stretching my hammies [and then standing in my putting posture for so long], and I never forgot it.

So... I'd make sure you stretch beforehand -- and consider stretching your hamstrings, too.

2 hours ago, kiawah said:

Not an orthopedic doc, just play golf with a few.  Sounds like your core is unusually weak.  I hear what you're sharing rather often from friends.  So happens, each has a protruding gut, and one guy never works out; says he's made it this far, yet it's worsening.  

Walking is good but won't improve core strength, which is directly tied to our golf swing, SS and distances.  Advice; sit-ups, stomach crunches and leg lifts at least 2–3 times a week.  I am over 70, do 80 stomach crunches with 60lbs on my chest, leg lifts with 60lbs, etc. going to the gym later today, and still hitting long irons reasonable distances.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

56 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

This will be a life saver for you - give it some time. 

For some reason, I became distracted at certain points during that video. Had to watch it several times.

BT

• Haha 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

Not an orthopedic doc, just play golf with a few.  Sounds like your core is unusually weak.  I hear what you're sharing rather often from friends.  So happens, each has a protruding gut, and one guy never works out; says he's made it this far, yet it's worsening.  

Walking is good but won't improve core strength, which is directly tied to our golf swing, SS and distances.  Advice; sit-ups, stomach crunches and leg lifts at least 2–3 times a week.  I am over 70, do 80 stomach crunches with 60lbs on my chest, leg lifts with 60lbs, etc. going to the gym later today, and still hitting long irons reasonable distances.

Haha, that probably isn't too far from the truth. I don't have much of a gut as I'm probably a few pounds underweight but I could certainly get stronger. That sounds like a good idea. Worst case scenario I'll end up with washboard abs. My girlfriend will be thrilled. 

2 hours ago, KMeloney said:

Practiced putting for a while the night before a member-member, and I could barely get out of bed the next morning from my back being so sore. When I told someone about it the next day, he said, "Did you stretch your hamstrings first?" After telling him it was my back -- not my legs -- that felt crippled, he insisted that my back soreness was due to not stretching my hammies [and then standing in my putting posture for so long], and I never forgot it.

So... I'd make sure you stretch beforehand -- and consider stretching your hamstrings, too.

Yeah, my hamstring tightness has always been a minor area of concern for me. I think that is probably an element at play here

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kiawah said:

Haha, that probably isn't too far from the truth. I don't have much of a gut as I'm probably a few pounds underweight but I could certainly get stronger. That sounds like a good idea. Worst case scenario I'll end up with washboard abs. My girlfriend will be thrilled. 

Sounds good and doable are too different thoughts.  I hope you find the solution.  

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

As someone with degenerative disc disease in my lower back at 39, definitely work on strengthening the core, and also work on flexibility of the hamstrings. My routine consists of stretching hamstrings (you don't have to try to reach for your toes), lumbar rolls, the cat/cows and alternating supermans in the tpi video linked above, pelvic floors, and some core strengthening exercises that I don't know the name of. I also do squats and side planks every once in awhile too.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Posted (edited)

I get back pain from putting 

Switch to a sternum putter relieved the discomfort

Went back to short er putting again and notice that it was bending excessively at the waist and keeping my knees extended without any flex

What I do for pre routine with short putter is squat.

Edited by Haroputt

When I get this pain from putting, I know I need to lose weight. I am not going to go into it but I have had back issues for 30 years. Get yourself a lacrosse ball and lay on it starting with your QL then glutes. Do this 15 minutes a day. When you find a hotspot grin and lean into that sucker. Back Pain from putting 90% of the time is due to arthritis in your lower back. The other 10% is tight glutes and QL. Flurbiprofen is an old med but the best (think advil on steriods).. Also in closing stretch your QL's daily and hold stretch for 3 minutes.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

2 hours ago, Wardonation said:

When I get this pain from putting, I know I need to lose weight. I am not going to go into it but I have had back issues for 30 years. Get yourself a lacrosse ball and lay on it starting with your QL then glutes. Do this 15 minutes a day. When you find a hotspot grin and lean into that sucker. Back Pain from putting 90% of the time is due to arthritis in your lower back. The other 10% is tight glutes and QL. Flurbiprofen is an old med but the best (think advil on steriods).. Also in closing stretch your QL's daily and hold stretch for 3 minutes.

Weight is the opposite of my problem, I'm 6'0 and 155 pounds soaking wet. I just bought a foam roller which I think might be a better alternative to a lax ball but ymmv. Also have used a theragun with decent results. The pain isn't so bad that I feel the need to take a ton of meds but thanks for suggesting anyway. I think my issues can be alleviated with stretching, exercising, and making sure to move around more in between putts.

My honest advice is to cut down on your 90 minute practice prior to work at least in half. I can't really say much without seeing how much bend you have etc. but regardless of your athleticism, that long of a practice routine WILL definitely cause some strain on your back. You might not see it as an issue now, but your older self will thank you later. 

I don't suggest a complete change in your swing + posture to relieve the back pain, but maybe divide your practice sessions to 2 halves, 20 minutes each with a 10 minute break. Stretching prior + during your break will also help. 

• Like 1

Driver- PING G425 Max 10.5° 

3 Wood- TAYLORMADE Qi10 Max 16° 
5 Wood- TAYLORMADE Qi10 Max 19° 
4 Hybrid- TAYLORMADE Stealth 2 Rescue 22° 

Irons- TAYLORMADE Stealth 2 5-PW, AW
Wedges- TITLEIST Vokey SM9 52°, 56°
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom 7.5 (2024)

Ball- TITLEIST Tour Soft