Naples Golf in Late March

critchtc21

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='critchtc21' timestamp='1362157373' post='6527479']
I know there is already a thread. What are some courses that are a decent price in Naples to play?

Also what are some great courses if you were to join a club down there?
[/quote]

I love the Wilderness CC... Arthur Hills course and a great walk.. also enjoy Quail West

There are a bunch of great courses here. If you are looking for public access then the common ones are.... Old Corkscrew, Treviso, Tiburon on the higher end and Valencia mid range.

Joining a club right now is a shoppers dream! There are alot of deals to be had. One of the best is Imperial Golf Club. 2 courses golf only. Twin Eagles is east of 75 but offers alot. Quail Creek has two nice courses as does Wyndemere. Higher cost but very nice is Grey Oaks. Talis Park has been redone and is looking for members. Basically come to town and make calls. You will find most courses have a deal to offer. It will be up to you to find which course and amenities are to your liking within your budget.

[quote name='Hyrprymate' timestamp='1362183003' post='6530165']
There are a bunch of great courses here. If you are looking for public access then the common ones are.... Old Corkscrew, Treviso, Tiburon on the higher end and Valencia mid range.

Joining a club right now is a shoppers dream! There are alot of deals to be had. One of the best is Imperial Golf Club. 2 courses golf only. Twin Eagles is east of 75 but offers alot. Quail Creek has two nice courses as does Wyndemere. Higher cost but very nice is Grey Oaks. Talis Park has been redone and is looking for members. Basically come to town and make calls. You will find most courses have a deal to offer. It will be up to you to find which course and amenities are to your liking within your budget.
[/quote]

Thanks. Actually my father's house in the Imperial Golf Club estates. What is great about the deal? Looks like a pretty high initiation fee. Where Twin Eagles does not have inititation fee.

[quote name='critchtc21' timestamp='1362583167' post='6557555']
[quote name='Hyrprymate' timestamp='1362183003' post='6530165']

[/quote]

Thanks. Actually my father's house in the Imperial Golf Club estates. What is great about the deal? Looks like a pretty high initiation fee. Where Twin Eagles does not have inititation fee.
[/quote]

Imperial is very sound financially. The quality of the courses for the cost. Availability of tee times. Are just a few of the items that make it a good value. If you are looking at getting in and getting out then go for the cheapest facility. If your Dad is a member then ask him to check on a legacy membership. It will reduce your buy in significantly.

Twin Eagles was my second choice. It was too far outside the action for me. It also gets very hot and rainy compared to the coastal areas. Iamalso not sure about the ability to get tee times or a game there. Golf Now still has weekend tee times for Twin Eagles.

Play as many courses as you can, review the finances and talk to as many members as you can. Naples is great for golfers year round! Good luck in your search!

My folks were members at Imperial for about 10 years, and they really liked it. I liked the two courses, and they are pretty different in their feel. UNfortunately for me, Mom and Dad have gone the way of all flesh, and are playing their golf on greener fairways these days.
I think every time I played there, except the last time, I walked into the clubhouse with my hat on, and was very politely asked to remove it.
The last time I played there I was very proud of myself for remembering to remove my hat.

I was very politely asked to tuck my shirt in.

I didn't know I was such a slob.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

[quote name='Lodestone' timestamp='1363117533' post='6598747']
My folks were members at Imperial for about 10 years, and they really liked it. I liked the two courses, and they are pretty different in their feel. UNfortunately for me, Mom and Dad have gone the way of all flesh, and are playing their golf on greener fairways these days.
I think every time I played there, except the last time, I walked into the clubhouse with my hat on, and was very politely asked to remove it.
The last time I played there I was very proud of myself for remembering to remove my hat.

[/quote]

Well, honesty, I think that is a stupid rule. And sounds like your typical old uppity feel. Which sucks. What club would have a newer feel to it? A nice course and nice facilties but a more laid back atmosphere and fun

[quote name='critchtc21' timestamp='1363218924' post='6607261']

[/quote]

Well, honesty, I think that is a stupid rule. And sounds like your typical old uppity feel. Which sucks. What club would have a newer feel to it? A nice course and nice facilties but a more laid back atmosphere and fun
[/quote]

I would try Twin Eagles or Talis Park. I also hear Old Corkscrew is going semi private and may have some options.

A younger demographic is very hard to find here in Naples!

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes, we used to laugh about it, and wonder why anyone would prefer to look at my "hat head" instead of my nice hat. It has been 7 years since I was there, and I am sure a lot of the old-timers who promulgated those "pre-1960s ideals" have likely gone on to their greater rewards, but I don't know if the place is still like that. I would suspect it is.

If you like the area, and the facility, and the price is right for you, I wouldn't let that discourage you. Other than that little bit of silliness, I really liked the place, and the employees were always very nice. If I lived there, and could afford it, I wouldn't rule it out.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

[quote name='Lodestone' timestamp='1363250639' post='6609249']

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes, we used to laugh about it, and wonder why anyone would prefer to look at my "hat head" instead of my nice hat. It has been 7 years since I was there, and I am sure a lot of the old-timers who promulgated those "pre-1960s ideals" have likely gone on to their greater rewards, but I don't know if the place is still like that. I would suspect it is.

If you like the area, and the facility, and the price is right for you, I wouldn't let that discourage you. Other than that little bit of silliness, I really liked the place, and the employees were always very nice. If I lived there, and could afford it, I wouldn't rule it out.
[/quote]

You are going to be hard pressed to find a decent club that doesn't have those two rules in place. It's silly, but for some reason it is a part of golf--just like the double bogey. ;)

pretty much when I swing, my shirt comes untucked. I wondered if the ranger was going to follow me around, but he didn't. It's no big deal, really, I just found it humorous that the one time I remembered about the hat, I got the shirt thing.
The rangers were always very nice.
I remember one day on the range I saw this tall lanky big-handed guy hitting cross handed. Every driver went out on a nice draw and hit the screen at the far end of the range, wayyyy out there. He was easily in his mid-late 60s. Only day I ever saw him there.

So, I'm playing with my parents, that day and the ranger comes up and nice as toast asks us we'd mind letting the group behind come through. We weren't holding anybody up, yet, but we would be because these guys were fast, and good, and playing for big money. We said "sure", no problem, just tell them to holler". And it's the cross handed guy, and he rips his drive just like all of the other ones I saw on the range.

Then the ranger comes up to me and asks if I know who that is. I said, "no, but he kills it". Turns out it was Dick McCaullife, the guy who played shortstop for the Tigers in the 60s. I remember my Dad and I commenting that if you can hit major league pitching, and pick ground balls at shortstop at that level, you can learn to hit cross handed.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Exactly. That is the problem with many old clubs. They have these rules that were set when times were much different. Times have changed. Things are much more laid back. From in the work place attire to the golf course. I'd rather have a hat on my head than have my baldness glaring. But I like a place that you can have a few beers and unwind after a round.