College?

kaiaoki

Most of the good schools don't have walk on tryouts. He would also need to put up to 2 very good scores in tryouts to be considered for the team. Also when I am refering to good schools I am talking about the top 25.

The University of Washington held walk on tryouts at the start of their fall season fall season when they were extremely hyped after coming up just short at the NCAAs. I would venture to guess that most schools would let anyone "audition" if you will for a spot if the person seems like they would have the background. Living in the Northwest, we fail to see more than 1 or 2 AJGA tournaments a year, extremely hindering most players (barring those (i.e. Kyle Stanley, Andrew Yun, Andrew Putnam, etc) who can obtain the financial backing to play in national tournaments) from receiving any notice from coaches other than those in the PNW. If you look at the rosters of most schools in Washington, Oregon and Idaho, I would venture a guess that a majority of their players are local (as in the region) talent. if a player can show that they competed well in the local level tournemnts run by the PNGA and the WJGA I would be surprised if a coach wouldn't allow a player two rounds to try to play his way on. They are looking for the best. Period. End of story. If a guy can compete in pressure situations better than another guy already on the roster, he deserves to play. No coach will turn away talent better than what they have.

Addition: UW was inside the top 25 at the start of the season.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I see your point but no coach of a top 25 school is going to allow kids with no tournaments experience show up and even consider them for his top 5. What anyone could do in tryout is going to be nowhere equal to what a good team's player have accomplished in junior golf.

This I would agree with. Someone with no tournament experience shouldn't be allowed to start initially and take the spot of someone experinced, but they should be given the opportunity to prove themselves in smaller events

I am a Junior at the University of Mary, in Bismarck, ND. We still have about 2" of snow so it will be a month or so until we get outside. I am a sophomore on the golf team. We just moved to division II, and are in the Northern Sun Conference. The powerhouse in the NSC, is Winona State, which was placed in the top 10 at the Divison II nationals a year ago. Our team took third in the conference on our first year in DII, so I guess we were pretty happy with that. I am also in the Physical Therapy department here and will have my doctorate in 3 years. Pretty fun and exciting time in college. GO MARAUDERS!

I'm a Sophomore and member of the golf team at D'Youville College in Buffalo, NY. Small 4-year school. Golf team isn't much to speak of this year. 2 of our starters are ineligible for the Spring semester so I'm moving from the 4 spot to the 2.

MatuCH - I know D'Youville has been looking at becoming a University because in Canada, the word college implies a 2 year or trade school. D'Youville is a 4-year degree program school and we'd LOVE to have a stick like you! If you're interested in more info, check out dyc.edu or e-mail me at [email protected] .

Alright its good to see another Buffalonian on the forum. I'm originally from Niagara Falls and now go to school at the University of Miami. I graduated in 2005, and played for NFHS. Are you originally from buffalo? And if so where did you play in high school?

• 1 year later...

EMC..

As a good amateur player and part time recruiter...my advice would beplay in as mnay top scale junior events as possible and that will give you the best foundation upon which to base your progress.

Obviously AJGA are the best but State juniors still mean something as do high school results...keep working hard and spend as much time as you can on the short game area and in the gym....but doing a golf specific workout programme not just lifting...

• 4 weeks later...

I played for a D1 school and my good friend/roommate is now the coach there. He has taken the school from 102 ranking when I graduated to inside the top 70. They just got a bid to the NCAAs so I think his opinions are on beam. Obviously tournament scores are important. To him, much more important than handicap. A good round is much easier to shoot when you are out on Saturday with your buddies compared to the final day of a tournament. It doesn't have to be an AJGA either. State and local events carry weight if you have some other good players in the field. He also looks for someone who is hard working and able to accept constructive criticism. It's hard on the coach and other players when you have a know-it-all on the team.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Still a Junior here, but I'm planning on applying to Carnegie Mellon University and Pitt. Those are my top two choices. I don't think I'm good enough to play golf for them, but hopefully I'll be able to get into an intramural/club kind of thing.

Ah cool dude i'm applying to Carnegie Mellon as well. Also gonna apply to Penn, Cornell, Emory and North Carolina.

Still a Junior here, but I'm planning on applying to Carnegie Mellon University and Pitt. Those are my top two choices. I don't think I'm good enough to play golf for them, but hopefully I'll be able to get into an intramural/club kind of thing.

Ah cool dude i'm applying to Carnegie Mellon as well. Also gonna apply to Penn, Cornell, Emory and North Carolina.

Awesome! Maybe we'll be classmates some day.

Also, when you say Penn, do you mean Penn State or University of Pennsylvania? Both are on my list as well

Since a couple of you guys are interested in Penn, and as I already have mentioned to gboldman23, I did my undergrad at Penn and am at Cornell for graduate school. I would be happy to answer questions about either school. Good luck in the application process!

Might I ask what you went for?

I got my degree in Biomedical Engineering.

gboldman are you going to be trying to play for any of the teams? I also noticed U of I didn't make your list, they have a pretty solid buisness school, and I know you're a fan.

ha no prolly not. my game isn't up to par with those schools i think. I might try out but that'll be all most likely. Yeah Illinois does have a solid business school but Penn, Cornell and Emory are top 10 in the country. Plus i used to live in champaign and wanna live somewhere warm like atlanta where winter isn't from october to may :man_in_love:

Since a couple of you guys are interested in Penn, and as I already have mentioned to gboldman23, I did my undergrad at Penn and am at Cornell for graduate school. I would be happy to answer questions about either school. Good luck in the application process!

Might I ask what you went for?

I got my degree in Biomedical Engineering.

Perfect! I plan on majoring in Engineering (probably :man_in_love: ).

If you could PM me or just reply with any info you think i should know about their program or just the school in general, that'd be great.

gboldman are you going to be trying to play for any of the teams? I also noticed U of I didn't make your list, they have a pretty solid buisness school, and I know you're a fan.

ha no prolly not. my game isn't up to par with those schools i think. I might try out but that'll be all most likely. Yeah Illinois does have a solid business school but Penn, Cornell and Emory are top 10 in the country. Plus i used to live in champaign and wanna live somewhere warm like atlanta where winter isn't from october to may :man_in_love:

ha I actually don't blame you, I probably wont even apply. Unless maybe mike small decides he wants me on the team.

ha I actually don't blame you, I probably wont even apply. Unless maybe mike small decides he wants me on the team.

where are you looking to go?

It's still really early in the process, I've got a couple years still to decide, but at this point it kind of depends on if I can get a golf scholly. If I can, I really would like to go to Illinois,William and Mary's,Virginia, or Boston College. But the odds of that aren't great, so other schools I've been considering are Duke, North Carolina and Vanderbilt. But at this point I geuss who knows.

It's still really early in the process, I've got a couple years still to decide, but at this point it kind of depends on if I can get a golf scholly. If I can, I really would like to go to Illinois,William and Mary's,Virginia, or Boston College. But the odds of that aren't great, so other schools I've been considering are Duke, North Carolina and Vanderbilt. But at this point I geuss who knows.

ha cool dude.

actually i'm gonna visit North Carolina and Virginia and see if i like them and if i do they may go on my ever expanding list.