A journey to Making Golf Fun

I have had similar problems like you with losing the tushline in the backswing, with the same movements of the hips like you do. What you could do that works nice for me, is to think more about your left hip and the movements of it. What you want to do is to hold it in the same position in the backswing, and then turning your left and right shoulders to the inline of the right foot, while resisting with the right leg (turning into the instep of your right foot). If you do this (and not sliding), it will force the right hip backwards and deep, and you will feel a nice stretch in your left side from the left hip to the left shoulder, and also much tension in the inside of your right leg and glute. Try to keep the left hip from moving towards the ball or the target.

Do this without a club at first in front of a mirror to get the right feel.

When I did like you are doing now, I didn't really feel much tension in my body and it felt mostly loosy goosy. When I turn like I described above, there's a lot more coil in the body and it really helps with the transition and gives effortless power.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris - great job on the improvement and sharing the journey with us. one question: What camera are you using?

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

[quote name='masamitsu' timestamp='1368204393' post='7006930']
Chris - great job on the improvement and sharing the journey with us. one question: What camera are you using?
[/quote]

I have a Nikon 8200 cool pix.. If not that i use my ipad 4 front camera... I like the ipad , not for the resolution.,but I can make a few swings,..stop..turn around and hit replay. Instant feed back, but not the best for the look I guess

@bab

Good tip..this is a mother this part of the swing. My damn body is so entrenched in its own way I guess

Cp

Hey Chris, not sure if Dan told you to do this in his videos or not but I'd recommend for you to video a bunch of slow motion swings, say 7 iron going 50-70 yards. Will engrain the downswing a bit faster than making practice swings.

Will also give you a bit more confidence that you can actually do the motion with a golf ball in the way.

Lots of Callaway Stuff

[quote name='lv_2_hack' timestamp='1368207999' post='7007372']
Hey Chris, not sure if Dan told you to do this in his videos or not but I'd recommend for you to video a bunch of slow motion swings, say 7 iron going 50-70 yards. Will engrain the downswing a bit faster than making practice swings.

Will also give you a bit more confidence that you can actually do the motion with a golf ball in the way.
[/quote]

Great posts..like this one alot. I have it in my practice swing..it is always there..so close. I'm just chiseling away at all the garbage to get to this motion. When I take practice swings, I aim at a target on the ground..I started aiming at pebbles..etc..I even worked my way up to golf whiffle balls.. But an actual ball!! Only have a handful of swings that I consider acceptable . So so so close, amazing that all I ever wanted is right there for the taking. I will sit and analyze and analyze my practice swings looking at what makes them click vs normal swings. Perplexing to say the least, but what I'm striving for. Honestly I am getting better..starting to look like a golf motion now :)

Great great tip..more for me to ponder

Cp

CP. Monte Schienblum posted this on his blog (can find the link right now) but it helped me a bit with staying on the tush line on the backswing.

1. Get in your posture with club across your chest and turn your shoulders 90 deg to your spine. See what that does to your left hip.(should be good position).
2. From the same position(club across chest) move your right hip back such that your shoulders turn 90 deg to the spine.
3. Pick the one that FEELS best to you and use that as your backswing feel.

[quote name='aimleft' timestamp='1368246233' post='7010528']
CP. Monte Schienblum posted this on his blog (can find the link right now) but it helped me a bit with staying on the tush line on the backswing.

1. Get in your posture with club across your chest and turn your shoulders 90 deg to your spine. See what that does to your left hip.(should be good position).
2. From the same position(club across chest) move your right hip back such that your shoulders turn 90 deg to the spine.
3. Pick the one that FEELS best to you and use that as your backswing feel.
[/quote]

Thanks man..another superb tip

What if you left your hips closed, maybe the SF right cheek on a chair feel, and tried to move your arms as fast as you can past your body and just let your body react? That's a Mike Benderism for Zach Johnson and Paula, yes please, Creamer as well as Hunter Mahan's thought.

Maybe just hit half shots starting with your right hip closed at address and leave it there throughout the strike. Seems like that was a SnT drill that I saw that sure felt nice. Steep, goathump, stall and throw is a witch to beat, but you just started with Dan so give it a bit. You've got a few years spent developing that move so it'll take a bit to dig out.

One other thought , what if you imagined someone standing in front of and holding a golf club out so that it was perpendicular to the target line, parallel to the ground and the grip went past your right shoulder at setup. The idea being that you can turn all you want, but your arm swing can go no further than where that club is. Might take you a few to time that, but you need to make more room for that arm swing and get it away from your body a bit as Dan said.

Enjoying your progress. Keep it up.

I tell ya what, my stuff is engrained..big time. It will be alot of work getting out of this. I bet..I bet., swinging 7 iron 50 to 60 yards will show a perfect motion for me. That will be a start..

I'm just have a bad case of the "Hit Syndrome"..

Terrible disease. Lol...:)

But I'm getting you it..and getting better..and having a blast trying

Cp

Lesson 3 from Dan.. Now were getting into the meat and potatoes of my issues. I knew I could only dodge the longish backswing so long with Dan. Others would just say go for it..dont worry about long swing...Not this guy. Now I see why he is in such demand... I can't dodge or sugar coat my swing issues anymore.

Thanks Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QU5LR6gKw4

Off to the range this week.. I think I'm going to do this at 20 to 30 % swing speeds..

Cp

Only way I can improve...need to listen and copy this.. Hate to lose the " circus" look I like.. :). But I see this is how you improve , and what I need to do.

Wish me luck

This is where I'm going to stop..but turn the shoulders more..will feel very foreign..but will make it work

[attachment=1679272:image.jpg]
[attachment=1679284:image.jpg]

Long extended arm feel ( should shorten swing) No more narrow and big right elbow bend.,setting my lag look early like i have. and in reality..i couldnt hold it.. Than i will just turn those shoulders. Not too difficult, all presented to me.. Now I just need to do it

[quote name='joeunc' timestamp='1368495301' post='7029098']
I joined the Dan plan today as well. 4 initial lessons and a lot of work for me over the next few months to make it better. Keep it up Chris, looking good. Joe
[/quote]

Smart investment joe....I'm going places I have never been before in my swing..

Vacation next week.. Golf everyday..and a million range balls.

I'm loving this journey

Cp

I have really enjoyed reading this thread so far, you've done a great job in describing the stages you've been through up til now. It's been especially useful for me as I am working on the exact same thing with the collapsing arm and desire to get a shorter, wider backswing.

I also loved how you reacted to the stinging attack earlier lol. All done with a constructive outlook from both parties. Keep up the good work.

[color=#000080][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][b]Driver - Cobra Fly Z
Fairway - TM M2
Hybrid - Nickent 5DX
Irons - TM PSi 5-PW
Chipping things - Callaway MD3 50, 55,60
Putter - Odyssey MXM #7[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Hogan's Cardy' timestamp='1368538645' post='7031838']
I have really enjoyed reading this thread so far, you've done a great job in describing the stages you've been through up til now. It's been especially useful for me as I am working on the exact same thing with the collapsing arm and desire to get a shorter, wider backswing.

I also loved how you reacted to the stinging attack earlier lol. All done with a constructive outlook from both parties. Keep up the good work.
[/quote]

I agree, it's a wise man who takes rebuking, even when unnecessarily harsh. Just used the information to get better.

[quote name='Hogan's Cardy' timestamp='1368538645' post='7031838']

I also loved how you reacted to the stinging attack earlier lol. All done with a constructive outlook from both parties.
[/quote]

Stinging? ...it was friendly fire, man to man stuff ;)

(C'mon Chris..... post some vids to show you've fixed that 'losing the tush line' issue.......)

;););)

Actually everything in my swing is a " work in progress"...no way around it. I have to think about it all, if I don't..it goes back to the same ole same old. I hope to get alot of golf in next week, I'm just going to swing and have fun...no thoughts just score.

I'm trying that is the best as I can do...this will not be an over night fix. I'm expecting to hit more bad than good on the range, which is fine with me

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1368568047' post='7035376']
Actually everything in my swing is a " work in progress"...no way around it. I have to think about it all, if I don't..it goes back to the same ole same old. I hope to get alot of golf in next week, I'm just going to swing and have fun...no thoughts just score.

I'm trying that is the best as I can do...this will not be an over night fix. I'm expecting to hit more bad than good on the range, which is fine with me. The smallest changes in my swing are huge achievements for me.. ;)
[/quote]

The best advice tip was from I love 2 hack,,,swing 7 iron to go 50 to 60 yards. This has helped alot, and gives me time to think what I'm doing. In reality, I feel like I'm swinging this easy...but the ball is going just as far as if I was swinging all out. Weird how this is happening, I might take that tip to the course actually.

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1368568357' post='7035404']
[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1368568047' post='7035376']

I'm trying that is the best as I can do...this will not be an over night fix. I'm expecting to hit more bad than good on the range, which is fine with me. The smallest changes in my swing are huge achievements for me.. ;)
[/quote]

The best advice tip was from I love 2 hack,,,swing 7 iron to go 50 to 60 yards. This has helped alot, and gives me time to think what I'm doing. In reality, I feel like I'm swinging this easy...but the ball is going just as far as if I was swinging all out. Weird how this is happening, I might take that tip to the course actually.
[/quote]

Thanks for all the support..been a fun journey.. Not over by any means..not sure if it is beginning/ half way the/ or almost finished. Let you decide I guess :)

Cp

Keep up the work CP. I hated doing slow motion swings before I went and saw Dan. Now I use the technique all the time for myself and my students.

I was in a similar boat in that we changed 4 things and for me to hit it like I wanted to I needed to fix all 4 things at the same time. Takeaway and top of backswing helped with contact, downswing and finish helped with direction. Took me a solid 3 weeks and now I'm much more reactionary. I warm up each of my sessions with about 15-20 slow motion swings and then I'm usually good to go.

Lots of Callaway Stuff