OPTIMUM Driver combination ???

SS around 99. I have a 9* Ping Rapture V2 with a stiff Blueboard in it. ON proper swings it is just about perfect(?), around 13* launch and mid-2000 spin.

However, being something of a club ho and the fact that I have a very quick tempo and the Rapture, feeling rather light weight, and the fact I am always looking for something "better" :wacko: - in this case, something I can swing more consistently.

Anyway, I've always been something of a fan of Callaway drivers even though I haven't played one for awhile. So I got a Razr Fit Extreme after hitting in indoors into a LM and getting great numbers albeit with a slight fade. I normally hit a pretty straight ball but I figured if I can consistently hit that little fade and be more consistent with the driver then that would work.

Anyway, to make a long story a little shorter, I bought an RFE with an 8.5* head. I couldn't hit the RFE on the course (Trinity stock shaft). So I got a Whiteboard for the RFE and couldn't get that combo airborne. Now I have a BB in it and have been hitting it great. Very consistent as well BUTT, it is launching a bit too low.

So I'm thinking of possibly trying to swap heads with somebody for a 9.5 (10.5 ?) as I didn't initially realize the RFE head was such a low launch low spin head.

OR should I get a higher launching shaft ? (Redboard ?)

Anyway, REGARDLESS of what *I* should do I guess what I want to ask is IS there a correct/better/perfect way of achieving the proper numbers (launch and spin) ro does ANY combination of shaft and head that produces the best numbers work just as well.

For example,,,,

A Ping K head, 10'5*, very forgiving and high launching head with a Whiteboard (low launch low spin) shaft.

vs.

An RFE 8.5* with a high launching and spinning shaft.

So, ignoring a "workabillity" factor, if BOTH of these combos provide the same launch and spin rate are they just as effective/consistent/whatever ?

Or would it be better to find the proper launch conditions with a "mid point" for both, i.e. a mid launch head and mid launch & spin shaft ? :blink:

TIA

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need more launch and spin at 99mph.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

The perfect way as you describe it is IMO shaft, then head, as you have already discovered with your experimenting. The right shaft (weight and bend profile) will produce the most consistently high club head speeds from your swing and provided the shaft length is correct, give the best possibility of centre strikes resulting in the highest smash value. Once the shaft is selected then it is a matter of matching it to a head design which gives the right blend of visuals and forgiveness and as you already discovered the loft number on the head might be any value in quite a wide range, depending on the model selected (or the individual head selected in some cases).

I hope you find someone with a higher lofted razr fit extreme driver, you could just pick up an pre-owned extreme with a higher loft then sell your 8.5. Alternatively you might try the standard xhot 9.5 with the blueboard it might give the launch you are looking for.

In the end I don't think you will really have gained a lot of performance advantage on the rapture v3 blueboard, which is a cracking combination.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1371929189' post='7303670']
The perfect way as you describe it is IMO shaft, then head, as you have already discovered with your experimenting. The right shaft (weight and bend profile) will produce the most consistently high club head speeds from your swing and provided the shaft length is correct, give the best possibility of centre strikes resulting in the highest smash value. Once the shaft is selected then it is a matter of matching it to a head design which gives the right blend of visuals and forgiveness and as you already discovered the loft number on the head might be any value in quite a wide range, depending on the model selected (or the individual head selected in some cases).

I hope you find someone with a higher lofted razr fit extreme driver, you could just pick up an pre-owned extreme with a higher loft then sell your 8.5. Alternatively you might try the standard xhot 9.5 with the blueboard it might give the launch you are looking for.

In the end I don't think you will really have gained a lot of performance advantage on the rapture v3 blueboard, which is a cracking combination.
[/quote]

I LOVE the Rapture/BB. Longest driver I've ever hit (until now ?). I hit the center of the face fairly often as well. It's the consistency and dispersion that bothers me a little bit. I'll have to try and find a swingweight scale and check it. I get a much better feeling of where the head of the RFE is and I've slowed down the backswing just a little.

I have 2 herniated discs and one of them cause a bit of numbness in my right foot. I find that with the lighter swingweight of the Rapture I'm swinging a bit too fast and not getting off my back side/foot causing this snap hook/smother that happens once, sometimes twice a round lately.

The RFE feels a bit heavier swingweight-wise and seems to slow down my backswing just a bit so my lower body can get moving forward before the club comes though and allows me to get off my back side. I've been playing the RFE for 3 rounds now and haven't hit one of the snappers yet and have hit a fair number of "boomers" (for ME of course).

I also find I'm hitting the RFE in the center of the face more often as well and some of my drives seem to be ending up in places I've never been (LONG that is) although it's a bit hard to tell since the wind at my home course hasn't been "prevailing" yet when hitting my RFE. But comparing places I've been hitting to with crosswinds and into the wind with what used to be with the prevailing (downwind) wind and some of these drives are real monsters,,,,,,,,

[quote name='mike_dmt' timestamp='1372995752' post='7390930']
I'm curious what the current shaft weight is. Granted a higher loft would solve problems... isn't the RFE adjustable?
[/quote]

RFE is adjustable open, square or closed, not for launch angle.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

• 2 months later...

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1371920402' post='7303120']
SS around 99. I have a 9* Ping Rapture V2 with a stiff Blueboard in it. ON proper swings it is just about perfect(?), around 13* launch and mid-2000 spin.

However, being something of a club ho and the fact that I have a very quick tempo and the Rapture, feeling rather light weight, and the fact I am always looking for something "better" :wacko: - in this case, something I can swing more consistently.

Anyway, I've always been something of a fan of Callaway drivers even though I haven't played one for awhile. So I got a Razr Fit Extreme after hitting in indoors into a LM and getting great numbers albeit with a slight fade. I normally hit a pretty straight ball but I figured if I can consistently hit that little fade and be more consistent with the driver then that would work.

Anyway, to make a long story a little shorter, I bought an RFE with an 8.5* head. I couldn't hit the RFE on the course (Trinity stock shaft). So I got a Whiteboard for the RFE and couldn't get that combo airborne. Now I have a BB in it and have been hitting it great. Very consistent as well BUTT, it is launching a bit too low.

So I'm thinking of possibly trying to swap heads with somebody for a 9.5 (10.5 ?) as I didn't initially realize the RFE head was such a low launch low spin head.

OR should I get a higher launching shaft ? (Redboard ?)

Anyway, REGARDLESS of what *I* should do I guess what I want to ask is IS there a correct/better/perfect way of achieving the proper numbers (launch and spin) ro does ANY combination of shaft and head that produces the best numbers work just as well.

For example,,,,

A Ping K head, 10'5*, very forgiving and high launching head with a Whiteboard (low launch low spin) shaft.

vs.

An RFE 8.5* with a high launching and spinning shaft.

So, ignoring a "workabillity" factor, if BOTH of these combos provide the same launch and spin rate are they just as effective/consistent/whatever ?

Or would it be better to find the proper launch conditions with a "mid point" for both, i.e. a mid launch head and mid launch & spin shaft ? :blink:

TIA
[/quote]playing a callaway 300cc vft hawkeye stock firm shaft carry 245 255 im 56 with a 100 ss keep what works