2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Will this work???

dave s 316

Ok, so over the next few weeks I will be posting my little fitness and clubhead speed experiment. I bought the Power Golf System from Donny Parker, and the Joey D golf workout dvd. I'm posting base line numbers using the swing speed radar I got off ebay. I own a Trackman, but for the purpose of this test I'm using the SSR because of the amount of times I will be taking speed samples. I'm suspect that this thing reads a touch high, but if it's the only way I sample numbers, I can go off the results.

Week 1 before the Power Golf System and Joey D workout. 1-10-2014 Today was the base swing speed with my driver.

mwy1.jpgr75g.jpg

This is my normal speed on Trackman, so I feel these numbers should be a good baseline. I feel the SSR may read a touch high because I haven't picked up a club in two weeks, and these speeds are my normal mid season numbers.Not only do I plan a weekly update, The SSR is small enough for me to bring on the course and drop down during a round and see if gains I am making stay during a round.

The Power Golf System workout seems cool. I need Donny to send me a video, because there is one part I'm unsure about. The Power Golf System arrived, and the fit and finish is perfect. If it performs like it looks, I will be happy.

Joey D golf workout. This dvd is easy to follow, but I must confess. It seems easy to do. None the less, I will follow it to a "T" and give it a shot.

Now swinging 112 is fine with me, but if I can get just 5 mph more and not have any ill effects I will be in heaven.

About me. The way I am, I will follow the plans perfectly. I'm a very good person for a test like this because of how anal I am. If there are gains to be made, I will make them. On Trackman my smash factor is always 1.49-1.51 with the driver with a +2*-+4* AOA. I have no doubts the Power Golf System will increase my speed, I just wonder about losing the center of the clubface with the new speed. My other concern is doing the Power Golf System workout 3 times a week, once my speed peaks, can it stay there with still using the system as directed.

Tune in next week for an update.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be curious to see the difference in club head speed on both devices for the same swing. Some SSR units I feel are pretty accurate and I feel others are not close, but at least if you're using the same SSR you will at least be able to see if you are gaining. The SSR is by no means a perfect device but neither is trackman or flight scope or any others. At times the SSR will pick up ballspeed but you will know what swings, and make sure you keep fresh batteries in it. Good luck and see if swing for swing you can get some pictures of the swing speed to track what differences there are between the two

I just purchased a pgs from donnie as well. It arrived yesterday...they look great. I had him make the 38 inches instead of the standard 45. I can swing them in my garage at that length. I hope my skypro will record swingspeed on swings with pgs. If not I guess I will have to order a ssr. It will be interesting if the length of mine will have any affect on any gains.

I am interested in any guidance from the long drive guys on when you hit balls. Do you hit balls on the days you don't work on overspeed? I primarly bought pgs because my shoulder plane is very very flat and I am working very hard to get my shoulder plane more vertical and I have read a lot of people lose swingspeed going more vertical. My current swingspeed with a driver is 108 which isn't bad but 115 is my goal.

Just did day 1 of the Power Golf System workout. 3 sets full speed right and left handed. I'm a righty First let me say, complete sweat!! I am an in shape guy, and I was winded and sweating. Second, swinging all out left handed is very hard and awkward. My 1st set felt goofy. The 2nd set I was much better, and by the 3rd set I was building some speed with all 3 clubs. Tomorrow is Joey D workout day, and monday will be PGS workout 2, swinging on my knees. Make no mistake, you have to swing as hard as you can with balance. This alone is hard to do at first.
Looking forward to it.

Very interesting. Thank you for starting this. I'll be keeping an eye on this as you progress.

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

This is very interesting! I've been searching for distance for a while and I'll be the other side of the test lol. I have been lifting and doing core work since early November.

3 days a week of 5x5 upper body, 5x5 lower body, and core work (medicine balls mainly).

Unfortunately, I do not have immediate access to an SSR. Before starting my exercise routine, I swung the club at 102-103. If I ever get on a monitor, I'll let you guys know. In the spring I plan to try overspeed training but I'd like to see where this takes me first.

So, after 7 complete days of the Power Golf System, and Joey D golf development stage training I have an update. Keep in mind I followed the PGS and JD golf to the letter with ZERO deviations. After stretching, I grabbed the driver and started hitting balls. After about 10 balls, I set the radar up. I hit 10 balls first so that the radar-ed swings came after I was grooved in a little. 1st swing on radar was 118. Up 3 mph from last week. Thing is, I felt in COMPLETE BALANCE like I didn't even try to swing. It felt flush, but was it? I took chap-stick and covered the face to see where i was making contact. Next swing 119, ball mark a hair off center on the toe side. From working with Trackman this would have been a 1.49 to 1.50 smash factor. Next swing 121, dead center strike. 1.50 to 1.51 smash factor no doubt. My net is 20 feet in front of my and while in complete balance, I saw the ball was striking the net directly in front of the ball. What I'm saying there is, the shots I hit should have hit a fairway. Nothing felt funny or out of sync to me. Not like the feeling you have when you completely go after one out of your shoes.

What excites me the most about PGS is when you do it all out like it says, it is an exhausting workout!! It really makes you go all out swinging on both sides, righty and lefty. The Joey D golf workout also stresses working both sides. In just a week, I feel such a sense of balance and power. I myself am having a hard time believing it! The environment I am doing this in is completely controlled. The radar and the ball are in a marked position so that there is consistency in the testing. 6 MPH gain in a week with no loss for the center of the club face is really exciting. Now I know no matter how hard I train there is a limit to speed and consistency I can achieve. The biggest thing for me is I want to maintain the gains for the whole season. That is the goal of this whole experiment. Cant wait for next Saturdays update!! Enjoy!!

59wq.jpg9igw.jpglywy.jpg1xux.jpg675q.jpg

Man I'm gonna have to start working out so you don't start bombing it by me man! Good work looks solid so far. I hit a few at the PGASS today at was smoking driver. Went after one and hit 124 haha Can't say I'll do that on the course but it was piped

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Ok, another 7 days on the PGS and Joey D training. Not much to say about the Joey D dvd, same workout every other day. It focuses on what you do to one side of the body, you have to do to the other. The PGS stresses this also. Not to be repetitive, but I followed this past 7 days to the letter. Today during the test readings I didn't feel like I was making my best swings. Tempo seemed a little back and forth. After hitting about 10 drives, I set up the SSR and let it rip. 120, 121, 125 were the best. Center face contact. Had about 4 "bad swings" contact was still around center two more toward the toe, and two just barely toward the heel. Again, could be tempo related. Long day today with the wife and kids. The good thing is that even the swings that actually felt off were still fast. The lowest was 118. My starting point was 115. So the point I'm making is the speed gains at this point are real. The real test is coming up this week. Thursday I land in Tampa. Friday is Legacy in Bradenton, Sat is Waterlefe, Sunday is TPC Tampa Bay, and Monday is Island course at Innisbrook. The weather is going to be 72 with little to no wind all four days at sea-level. This will be an ideal testing ground for on course results. I will track yardage with the Skycaddie SGX-W. I've played these tracks before, So I know what my approach shot usually are. I will also have the SSR to bring to the range, and mid round on course. I will have to reach out to Donnie as my work out schedule with PGS calls for workouts this Friday and Sunday. Just not sure if I should do them on days I'm playing. Any questions just let me know. So my best on day 1 115 w center strikes. Best on day 14 125. center strike.

4nen.jpg9bf1.jpgbm34.jpgw292.jpg

I think I would add imo that people should look out ahead with these programs 2-4-6 months. Its like a guy picking up some dumb bells and then looking in the mirror after the first week of beginning to train. Its kind of silly and its typically human. Everybody wants fast results. Training the mind to form new impressions about top speeds, grooving new engrams in the brain,etc. is stuff that sprinters spend years on. Patience and time imo is the watch word.

Bobby. My goals are to pick up an honest 5mph on my worst swings. My reason for purchase of this system is after a lot of research, this seems to be the most complete one. By complete I mean a workout that is quick, effective, and target specific. I expect to max out gains quickly. Thats fine. More important to me during a long season is to maintain those gains without this level of intense training. I hope to reach my goals, then discuss with Donnie a workout to maintain my gains. Then during the off season, go full cycle again. It wouldn't surprise me if I don't gain anothe MPH. I just want to keep the gain. The importance of showing weekly progress is to see if this program is the real deal or not. It's also a guide to see what a real world person with a career and family can achive. Paid golf professionals can train with the best for a good portion of the day. My life doesn't allow that. The PGS so far is delivering everything it says it will. They don't pay me so, if it works or not for me you will read it here.

Thanks tracking your progress Dave. I worked out 3 times with the pgsystem too. I have the same exact ssr you have. I went from 95-100 chs to 113-115 in two weeks. I was no higher than 95 on a trackman when I was on it last summer. This morning my friend who just purchased a pgsystem brought his new red eyes prgr swing radar from japan. The two units were off by sometimes up to 10 mph with my radar reading higher. It was cold so my friend had a max of 109 on the red eyes. He has a trackman verified 113 chs last summer. Have you verified your increase in chs of 125 on a trackman? My max in the red eyes was 102 but 114 on my ssr. Not sure why it's so off. Thanks

yes and no. I have had some wrist issues the last year and can't swing as hard. I was also trying to revamp my swing with the slice fixer method. I was trying to swing 9 to 3 for more control and I lost a lot of chs. Last year while i had some tendonitis on both wrists I went to get a fitting at club champion in philly. My max chs that day was only 95-97 max. Last summer before my wrist troubles, I was maxing out at 108. So I decided i don't want control and wanted more chs. I am trying the pgsystem now. I do see a chs of up to 113-115 on my ssr. I only saw about 100 this summer on the same ssr. I think bc I was doing the 9 to 3 swings. I turn all the way now and try to get maximum chs. I am not sure how accurate my ssr is b/c I am much slower on my friend's red eye. That's why I asked you I you are seeing 125 on your trackman instead of your ssr. thanks.

[size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4]Ok , sorry for the delay in updates. Flight to N.J. cancelled last Monday due to snow, so had to fly out Tuesday morning from Orlando instead of Tampa. All these flight arrangements were made from the fairways of Innisbrook in between shots. Anybody wanna guess how that round went?[/size][/size]
[size=3][size=4]After getting back Tuesday, I decided to not train until today (Monday). The reason for this was non-stop training prior to leaving, then playing golf 4 days in a row after a brief lay off of actually playing due to North East weather.[/size][/size]
[size=3][size=4]While away on the trip, I discovered that I forgot to pack my SSR. Bummer, but not a big deal because I played these courses before and knew my approach distances. Gauging if I hit the ball as far as 10-12 MPH swing speed increase would give me would be easy. The bad news is with the exception of 2 big drives, I was + - 3 yards of normal. The 2 big drives were 12 and 16 yards further than normal. But that was over the course of 4 rounds. The temps were mid 70's with very light wind. Courses were softer than last year. I was told there was an inch of rain the day before we arrived, and one day while we were there saw overnight rain. What I did notice was an increase in hit fairways and greens. Especially for my first 4 rounds of the season. Between the PGS and Joey D golf workout, I felt completely in balance on all my shots. My contact was rock solid. My opinion on this is Joey D has you doing all movements on the right and left sides, and PGS has you going all out on both sides as well. I have never trained that way before. It went from awkward on the first week, to now I can actually make an aggressive pass at the ball from the other side. Big plus here, and no doubt a direct result of the program.[/size][/size]
[size=3][size=4]Back to today and the speed sample. There was exactly a week of me not training with Joey D and PGS. There were 4 rounds of golf in between. There was also the Joey D dynamic stretching done. After a warm up I grabbed my driver and impact tape. 1st swing dead on the screws perfect. Looked down at the radar. It read 114. What?!?! Next swing, impact tape looked like I missed because it was dead in the center of the first balls mark. Radar said 116. Not good by my standards. Next one I really tried to go after. Again dead center strike, but the radar showed 112. That was the lowest of the session, and I had a high of 117 with the strike being just a hair off center toward the toe.[/size][/size]
[size=3][size=4]I am a perfectionist, so this discouraged me at first. I thought that there is no way once the season starts, and I am playing alot that I will have the time to train this hard. This is where I hope that Donny can make me a quick every other day maintenance workout.[/size][/size]
[size=3][size=4]Regarding the lack of distance gain on the course. I don't know if subconsciously I'm not pulling the trigger and exploding into the ball like I do in training. If this is the case, time will tell. I was really accurate with the driver on this trip, and the impact tape shows that even at the highest speeds I'm making center contact. Not sure what to think at this point[/size][/size], but I am going at this again full steam. Picked up today where I left off. Completed day 23 of the PGS.[/size][/size] My hope here is the longer term will make the gains stay, and show up on the course.
[size=3][size=4]Donny feel free to respond on my finding thus far. Thanks all.[/size][/size]

Seems like a bust to me. I have worked on pure swing speed before with a ssr/overspeed training. While I was working on it, I would see gains with overspeed training, but like you, as soon as I stopped, I went back to pretty much normal. I still say, the only true way to increase your swingspeed is by getting more flexible and or stronger. Spend more time on swing mechanics, stretching and core conditioning, and you will see gains that last. Just my 2 cents.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select