Will this work???

dave s 316

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1392080174' post='8640489']
Seems like a bust to me. I have worked on pure swing speed before with a ssr/overspeed training. While I was working on it, I would see gains with overspeed training, but like you, as soon as I stopped, I went back to pretty much normal. I still say, the only true way to increase your swingspeed is by getting more flexible and or stronger. Spend more time on swing mechanics, stretching and core conditioning, and you will see gains that last. Just my 2 cents.
[/quote]

Completely agree with this. I tried the same type of swing speed training last summer with the same results - when I stopped it was a pretty swift decline back to my usual speeds.

Three months ago I started working with a new coach at the same time I started on the P90X3 routines. Cardio workouts, lifting and more importantly a lot of yoga/pilates. Have seen increases in SS without specifically looking for them and combined with better swing fundamentals I have been hitting the ball significantly more consistant.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, again some background on me. I train weights and cardio. Practice sound fundamentals on a regular basis. As any training can reach plateau , I explained earlier that I was being realistic in my goals. No matter what, I know there is only so much speed I can achieve. My flexibility is of the charts for my body size and shape. I am looking for that next way to break through with a little more speed. Not looking to go 115- 145. Just 115-119 or 120. The key is to keep it. I'm seeking help getting there, not reasons why it won't work.

Dave,
It will take no time to get those gains back. You only did it for two weeks which is long enough to see increase but not long enough for muscle memory. Keep up the hard work, and your muscles will learn to move the club faster. It's just like lifting weights, if you don't continue to practice you will lose your gains. But to get those gains to where they will stay it will take time.
Donnie

The grass is always greener...
farther down the fairway

[quote name='dave s 316' timestamp='1392082093' post='8640719']
Guys, again some background on me. I train weights and cardio. Practice sound fundamentals on a regular basis. As any training can reach plateau , I explained earlier that I was being realistic in my goals. No matter what, I know there is only so much speed I can achieve. My flexibility is of the charts for my body size and shape. I am looking for that next way to break through with a little more speed. Not looking to go 115- 145. Just 115-119 or 120. The key is to keep it. I'm seeking help getting there, not reasons why it won't work.
[/quote]

I offered a way to try and attain your goals. Strength, stretch and lots of core conditioning. You may already be at your max. Who knows. But a gain to 120 isn't easy. If it was, people like Zach Johnson, Luke Donald etc would jump on it. They have the best facilities at their disposal, but 120 just ain't happening. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. Maybe try adding some length to your driver or lighter shafts.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1392090949' post='8641867']
[quote name='dave s 316' timestamp='1392082093' post='8640719']
[/quote]

I offered a way to try and attain your goals. Strength, stretch and lots of core conditioning. You may already be at your max. Who knows. But a gain to 120 isn't easy. If it was, people like Zach Johnson, Luke Donald etc would jump on it. They have the best facilities at their disposal, but 120 just ain't happening. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. Maybe try adding some length to your driver or lighter shafts.
[/quote]
so you feel that gaining 4 mph and keeping it by way of over weight/speed training is not possible?

Not saying it's not possible, but in reality it may not happen. 4mph may not sound like all that much, but as I stated before, everyone has their limits. Every tour player out there would want 4-5 more mph, and no body works harder than they do, but how many times have you heard about a tour player gaining that kind of speed? It happens here and there, and mostly comes from a player that wasn't in shape, started working out, got in shape and picked up speed.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select

Having trained for my vertical jump off and on for years, I have learned a few things from Kelley Baggett, the ultimate source for vertical jump information. He notes in order to maximize your gains and potential gains, you should do a mixture of both strength training and fast twitch training. In a jumping sense, the weight room and plyometrics.

For golf, I feel this applies. You must hit high weights with low reps and couple that training with overspeed/underspeed training to maximize your swingspeed gains. This fall/winter I have been doing the weight training side and will hit the overspeed/underspeed side when the weather clears. I'll report my gains. If I ever get to Golf Galaxy I can report my speed gains from the weight training alone. I'm hoping to have gained at least 5% on my speed!

Im sure many will call bs on my claims but this is what happened for me. Keep in mind, I am a long driver...I swing for speed so these numbers are not some 80 percent swing they are all out 98 percent going at it swings. So I bought an ssr and my swing speeds last week were registering between 132-136. Weather was high 40s so, that may have slightly effected the swing speed. At the end of October last year my ssr was saying 137-142. I received the system this Tuesday and after swinging the normal weighted stick about 15 times to warm up I then swung the different weights 5 times each and also doing this left handed. Im not exactly sure what the workout is supposed to be but I tried to follow what the other guy on here said he did. Next I pulled out my driver (50" driver for LD) to see what my swing speeds were like. Ssr registered between 139-143. The temperature in the basement is about 60 degrees so I was not wearing as much clothing which could have helped the mph also.

Well today I went and did the workout again. I felt like I was really swinging harder today, so once again at the end I pulled out the 50" driver. First swing, I whip it through and think to myself (bad word) wow I really swung fast on that. Look down...not exaggerating radar reads 151 mph. Now I will be the first to admit that the ssr is not always the most accurate, so I did not get my hopes up off of that one swing. The next 4 swings were all above 150 and 2 were at 153. After those 5, my swings were between 146-148, so I was obviously wearing down. Do I think the SSR reads high? Yes, but I can tell you with pure confidence what I was swinging faster today in the offseason than I have ever swung before.

No I am not paid by the guy who makes this system, I am just straight up overjoyed right now with my numbers/progress so I felt obligated to post my progress on here. I will happily post a video of my next workout which will be this Saturday (as long as I don't lose power, I live in the north carolina and this snowstorm has already caused multiple power surges) so people can see what the system is like and that my claims are not being exaggerated. And before I hear the same old "your batteries must be about to die, the ssr will read some crazy numbers when the batteries are low"...no the batteries are not low in the ssr lol.

Tried to post the picture of the 153, but as you can tell im new to the forum and when I pasted it in the text box, a message came up that said images are not allowed, so not sure what im doing wrong.

Oh I believe you, I believe overspeed training works, but only for the time that your doing it. Go a couple days without overspeed training and the numbers will go back to normal. Shoot, it was my experience that I could do overspeed training in the am, go golfing a couple hours later, and my numbers were no different than before I started overspeed training. So really, I just don't believe in overspeed training.

I do believe however in fast twitch muscle exercises. Mickelson has been doing a program recently.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1392330513' post='8662431']
Oh I believe you, I believe overspeed training works, but only for the time that your doing it. Go a couple days without overspeed training and the numbers will go back to normal. Shoot, it was my experience that I could do overspeed training in the am, go golfing a couple hours later, and my numbers were no different than before I started overspeed training. So really, I just don't believe in overspeed training.

I do believe however in fast twitch muscle exercises. Mickelson has been doing a program recently.
[/quote]

Do you think that if I do overspeed training over a reasonable amount of time, what I have recently gained will become my normal swing?

Guys, I do not work for PGS. I am just documenting if for me this kind of training works. I was training TRX system doing all core and body weight stuff. The Joey D golf and PGS were the first "golf specific" training I've tried. Once I'm done with the 90 days, I will do a complete review with my thoughts, good, or bad. What I did feel from both systems is a new sense of balance. This is more that likely training both sides of my body, and swinging all out righty and lefty.

I went ahead and did a workout this morning. Swung 5 right handed with each weight and 5 left handed with each. Then did several swings with a 50 inch driver. First time I did this set, the video did not record so my ssr readings in the second attempt were slightly lower than the first because this system does wear you down quite quickly. The first round my swings were 148-153 and the second round which is the recorded round all were between 146-149. This was my third time using this system.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Igds7BoFI&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Igds7BoFI&feature=youtu.be[/url]

IMO the early gains in swing speed are not difficult and one can expect an increase simply by practicing swinging as hard and fast as possible, dry swings with different swing weights, or using Donnie's system. After that surge of 10% or so the real work begins though in order to sustain and improve and avoid injury while one is doing it and improve smash factor mechanics which also will improve speed at point of impact. I'm doing quite a bit of abdominal core work, some squat work and forearm-wrist work both to guard against injury and to enhance power and speed. Stretching and yoga go without saying and I would recommend a simple site like yin-yoga.com for static asanas that are relatively simple and accessible and can be held for minutes without risk of overdoing, just held to one's own edge. On a side note I've noticed that the smaller and average sized guys in longdrive can hit 2x their weight and sometimes quite a bit more but none of the Man-Bear guys can come close to doing that. I think there are diminishing returns to getting bigger and bigger though it certainly almost guarantees a 350 yard drive with decent mechanics. The reason is I think that more weight regardless of condition will slow the athlete down past a certain barrier which might just be around 200-210 lbs. Why aren't we seeing all these 240-280 lb behemoths hitting 500 and over? To me this means the emphasis always has to be on speed and flexibility. Landon Colling is pound for pound the greatest example of this but I'm digressing, sorry. Good luck to all in their quest.

Ok, New update. Swing speed up again to a high of 124. Non training day. Just a little dynamic stretching. Hit a dozen 7 irons, then took about 5 passes with the driver before taking samples. 121, 123, and two back to back 124's. The thing really impressing me here is the center face contact. I have gained 10 mph since starting. On my trip to Florida, I didn't see any distance gains to speak of, but for not being able to play during winter the fairways hit were impressive. I will continue to update progress. Enjoy.
[/URL][/img][attachment=2075051:2-18.jpg]

• 3 weeks later...

dave, any chance on sharing some of the joey d exercises and stretches, thanks

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

They are quite simple but hard for me to explain. Joey D on you tube should help. I will have a speed sample for you in a couple days. Played the other day. Driver swing speed on the 7th hole 121mph, cartpath only, ball carried 267. temp was 40 degrees, no roll. down the middle. Hoping this lasts because same hole normal ground conditions and temps in the 70's should produce 300 plus all day

New update. Been doing the PGS workout with the same intensity. Played the other day and set the SSR up for a random swing. 123. Then took a sample reading on a non workout day after stretching and hitting some balls. 126 mph. My gains have peaked I think, but the important thing to me is that with continuing to do the work out, I'm keeping this speed on the course. Its killing me in N.J. that when we can get out to play, the fairways are like a wet sponge. I can't get a real feel for any big distance gains. I am hitting the ball well though. I'm playing Pinehurst this weekend. I should get a good idea for gains there. Keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dave s 316' timestamp='1394465730' post='8839691']
New update. Been doing the PGS workout with the same intensity. Played the other day and set the SSR up for a random swing. 123. Then took a sample reading on a non workout day after stretching and hitting some balls. 126 mph. My gains have peaked I think, but the important thing to me is that with continuing to do the work out, I'm keeping this speed on the course. Its killing me in N.J. that when we can get out to play, the fairways are like a wet sponge. I can't get a real feel for any big distance gains. I am hitting the ball well though. I'm playing Pinehurst this weekend. I should get a good idea for gains there. Keep you posted.
[/quote]Dave,
Do you think the PGS workout is an effective way to increase SS in your opinion?

[quote name='Stonebridge' timestamp='1395582197' post='8930429']
[/quote]Dave,
Do you think the PGS workout is an effective way to increase SS in your opinion?
[/quote]
For me it is certainly working. You have to understand, I am following it to the letter!! My gains are also showing up on the course. Average conditions in Pawleys Island SC over the weekend. On courses I play at least 10 times a year, my shortest gain was 10 yards, my longest 25. If you follow it to the letter like me, I'm sure it will work. If I stop now and never use the system again, I'm sure I will go back to where I started. The gains from a training standpoint in balance I feel can help anybody beyond speed gains!!

SamLD was kind enough to verify in email for me his gains on the monitor and they are definitely for real. He is jumping into the 150s now which probably translates to around 140 on the stingy Trackman, I don't know. The Trackman measures middle of the face speed, SS Radar measures the toe coming thru. For those who wonder about this training in my own opinion I think you have to establish muscle memory by hitting top speeds repeatedly over a span of time. This forms a groove or engram in the brain and that will establish the bodies actual memory of the event as normal. Same goes for facial recognition,falling in love, etc. I don't think they really have all the details researched yet obviously but I think anyone can improve, its really a matter of how committed and systematic you are in my opinion only, now the question is just how long I have to work to establish higher levels and I just don't know the answer to that. I have heard that pro longdrivers will literally take hundreds of dry swings full out daily and I don't doubt that at all. Good work by Sam and thanks for posting, keep it going!

[quote name='dave s 316' timestamp='1395613809' post='8933703']
[quote name='Stonebridge' timestamp='1395582197' post='8930429']
[/quote]Dave,
[/quote]
For me it is certainly working. You have to understand, I am following it to the letter!! My gains are also showing up on the course. Average conditions in Pawleys Island SC over the weekend. On courses I play at least 10 times a year, my shortest gain was 10 yards, my longest 25. If you follow it to the letter like me, I'm sure it will work. If I stop now and never use the system again, I'm sure I will go back to where I started. The gains from a training standpoint in balance I feel can help anybody beyond speed gains!!
[/quote]
Thanks for your feedback. Your insight into this system is very helpful.

To be clear, every drive I hit wasn't longer than usual. Around 6 out of 10 were longer, the others about the same. I think if I continue with the workout as directed, I can make every swing faster. My goal on this was to not lose distance on bad swings. I think I have accomplished that goal at this point.

LongBall- I understand your reservations but not every guy out on the tour wants 5mph more. They play largely for accuracy out there and despite the publicity I doubt they have much time to work out at all they are constantly competing which requires a differenty focus and also lots of recovery time. Along with all the overspeed training, really increasing swing speed to me means growing lots of fast twitch fiber which means inevitably when you hit a wall in your program that your going to have to do heavy weights with low reps 3 times a week . You can research off google and as much as I didn't like to admit it before this is probably essential. it involves lots of recovery time between workouts and its something no touring pro is ever going to use for fear of injury, screwing up his swing and because he will not have time for it at all.

Good information going on here. I played basketball my whole life and did some vertical training in my playing college days. Im 5"11 and was able to dunk a basketball two handed after working on plyometrics, isometric, explosive olympic workouts and heavy weight training with low reps. Rest is key when it comes to plyometrics or speed training.
With that said, I am looking to increase my swing speed along with better health.
My new workout will consist of T25 (great for cardio, core, balance and stability), weight training along with plyometrics two times a week and finally overspeed training (power golf system).
Finding a balance with these types of training is key and most beneficial in order to sustain swing speeds and most importantly avoid injury.

[quote name='Lucho8' timestamp='1395928335' post='8961105']
Good information going on here. I played basketball my whole life and did some vertical training in my playing college days. Im 5"11 and was able to dunk a basketball two handed after working on plyometrics, isometric, explosive olympic workouts and heavy weight training with low reps. Rest is key when it comes to plyometrics or speed training.
With that said, I am looking to increase my swing speed along with better health.
My new workout will consist of T25 (great for cardio, core, balance and stability), weight training along with plyometrics two times a week and finally overspeed training (power golf system).
Finding a balance with these types of training is key and most beneficial in order to sustain swing speeds and most importantly avoid injury.
[/quote]

Why T25?...go with P90x3 and you encompass more...no?

[quote name='seve1972' timestamp='1395967937' post='8965365']
[quote name='Lucho8' timestamp='1395928335' post='8961105']
[/quote]

Why T25?...go with P90x3 and you encompass more...no?
[/quote]

P90x3 is a great workout as well but I like to go to the gym and work on my own weight, plyo and olympic training. I know what works for me so I dont see a need to change. Reason I choose T25 is because it provides me with great cardiovascular health and full body range of motion since I barely play basketball anymore. I get good results by just going to the gym two times a week, in my opinion that is enough, then combine that with T25 and over speed training 3 times a week. That will be my routine for the next few months. Strong, lean, fast, flexible muscles is what I am after. Will see how it works!

• 4 weeks later...

I completed the 90 day workout. I am happy to announce my speed on Trackman has averaged 119-121. This is in my opinion worth every penny!!! I'm still hitting center of the face, and with my driver set up tweaked, I'm hitting it further. I know I may not have gained what others have, but this is an honest review of somebody who paid retail for the system and followed the plan exactly. Long drive guys I'm sure will gain more. Anybody on the fence with this should pull the trigger. It's not easy to do, but the rewards are there and they come quick.
Now that the playing season is here, I need to contact Donnie to get a maint workout. I'm sure if I stop, I will lose the gains. Thjanks for following this. I hoped I helped a few looking to increase clubhead speed.

• 4 weeks later...

Well gentlemen, it has been some time now. My gains are staying where they are!! Trackman verified driver swings at 121, 122, 121, 125 mph. My worst swing was 118!!! 118 is higher than my previous best before I started the program. I have been doing a maintenance work out supplied by PGS Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
If anybody is on the fence, or not a believer, Read this thread, commit to doing it completely, then enjoy your new distance!!!! I am longer with every club in my bag!! I have met my goals and then some!! Thanks PGS!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Little update on an older thread. Today on Trackman , 120,122, and a 124. Have been doing the 3 day a week maintanance program for a while now after doing the 90 day workout. I am not losing any speed at all. I am fully enjoying wedges and short irons into most greens now. Even bought a left handed driver that I like to hit balls with from time to time. The pgs making me work swinging hard from the left side has helped my game and my balance tremendously.