Bethpage Black ; or any course in the Tri State area !

Whats going on guys, first I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Matt, and i live on Eastern Long Island. I'm always looking for new "golf buddies" to hit the course with me. I find it hard for me to get my friends to tag along with me when I'm trying to play the Black, which is why I'm making this post. I played the course yesterday, July 29th and boy was it playing hard. They had the NYS Open at the course last week, so they had the course set up as if it was the open. Tight fairways, long rough, fescue up to your knees and oh yeah, rock hard greens that you couldn't hold. At least it only plays 7400 yards !

If anyone is interested in hitting the course up, or any course in the tri-state area, lets set it up! This is an open invite to anyone on the forum. Unfortunately I can't offer you any courses out on the east end, Shinny, Atlantic, The Bridge etc. but I will see what I can do. Luckily, I've played them before, but its a spur of the moment type thing.

Let's set up some tee times and hit the course!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played there Thursday and Friday last week. Next time I'm up in NYC and able to get away to golf, I'll hit you up!

I shot a 105 on the Black. It was brutal.

Callaway Epic Mini driver- 12.5* (Epic head, Mini Big Bertha shaft- Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 S)
TM Burner Superfast 2.0- 3 wood 15*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 S)- 18*
Maltby DBM (KBS Tour S)- 4-GW
Bridgestone J15 wedges (True Temper DG Spinner)- 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select

I played Black on the 26th, and actually expected it to play a bit tougher than it did, due to the NYSO. I think they had cut the rough Sat morning, and there weren't any diabolical pins. I did wind up playing from the middle tees though, and they were pushed way up, almost on top of the reds. Definitely a huge difference when you consider a 2 club variance on approach shots.

I'm in Brooklyn without a car, but always looking for more golf. Usually I train out to Bethpage.

[quote name='flexdex333' timestamp='1406823692' post='9824629']
I played Black on the 26th, and actually expected it to play a bit tougher than it did, due to the NYSO. I think they had cut the rough Sat morning, and there weren't any diabolical pins. I did wind up playing from the middle tees though, and they were pushed way up, almost on top of the reds. Definitely a huge difference when you consider a 2 club variance on approach shots.

I'm in Brooklyn without a car, but always looking for more golf. Usually I train out to Bethpage.
[/quote]

They didn't cut the rough after the NYSO. I played it on the 29th and it was difficult. Fairways brought in, rough was up, greens were hard. The only thing they seemed to cut down was the fescue. I spoke to a few people that work at the course, so thats the only reason why I know the rough wasn't cut. You should of seen in on Tuesday. Ball disapeered if you missed the fairway.

This was my ball about 10 feet to the right of a green on #11, #12, or #13, I can't remember which hole. This was on Friday 7/25, day after the NYSO.

Black%2BRough.jpg

Callaway Epic Mini driver- 12.5* (Epic head, Mini Big Bertha shaft- Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 S)
TM Burner Superfast 2.0- 3 wood 15*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 S)- 18*
Maltby DBM (KBS Tour S)- 4-GW
Bridgestone J15 wedges (True Temper DG Spinner)- 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='m4tTy333' timestamp='1409099334' post='10014559']
That picture looks about right! Course is just a beast, it really is. It's the only course I've played multiple times, and have not shot a round in the 70's. Next time I play the course I'm playing the Whites and we will see what happens.
[/quote]

Easy way out bro. Cowboy up.

2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
TM P790 UDI #2
TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
TM Spider Putter

[quote name='wrayner' timestamp='1409108827' post='10015773']
I definitely may take you up on that offer. Everytime I have tried to get out to the Black something has come up. Really would like to get out before the season ends for sure.
[/quote]

I'm down and I have another WRXer also who is always on board. M4tty and me have been trying to get out as well. Played the blue on Friday but childs play compared to Black or Red.

TM P790 UDI #2
TM Spider Putter

[quote name='PThomas' timestamp='1409107910' post='10015673'][quote name='m4tTy333' timestamp='1409099334' post='10014559']
That picture looks about right! Course is just a beast, it really is. It's the only course I've played multiple times, and have not shot a round in the 70's. Next time I play the course I'm playing the Whites and we will see what happens.
[/quote]

Easy way out bro. Cowboy up.[/quote]

C'mon man!!! Haha. I've never played black from the whites. I got to try it at least once. I just ordered my apex MB's. They ship middle of September. Hoping to get out & play 1 round on black with them

i played black for the first time a few weeks ago and shot 81 off the tips. i live in nw/north central NJ but travel all over for golf. let me know if you're up to play sometime and i'm in.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

[quote name='dlgolf2' timestamp='1409146761' post='10017499']
What's up fellow WRXer's... I live in Huntington and my home course is Bethpage. I'm planning on playing Cherry Creek in Sunday. Haven't been there in a few years. I'm always up for meeting a potential golf buddy...

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile
[/quote] i'm not in LI but add me as a friend - i'll play with you sometime

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1409147022' post='10017527'][quote name='dlgolf2' timestamp='1409146761' post='10017499']
What's up fellow WRXer's... I live in Huntington and my home course is Bethpage. I'm planning on playing Cherry Creek in Sunday. Haven't been there in a few years. I'm always up for meeting a potential golf buddy...

[/quote] i'm not in LI but add me as a friend - i'll play with you sometime[/quote]

Cool!... A buddy & I are kinda pondering the idea of playing Balyowen on Monday. It's still up in the air though. But if we do I'll extend the invite to you?...

TITLEIST!...

[quote name='dlgolf2' timestamp='1409147242' post='10017551']
[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1409147022' post='10017527'][quote name='dlgolf2' timestamp='1409146761' post='10017499']

[/quote] i'm not in LI but add me as a friend - i'll play with you sometime[/quote]

Cool!... A buddy & I are kinda pondering the idea of playing Balyowen on Monday. It's still up in the air though. But if we do I'll extend the invite to you?...

[/quote]depends how much a round at bally is running on monday lol...i love that course. hit me up if you're pondering playin there...

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1409147420' post='10017565'][quote name='dlgolf2' timestamp='1409147242' post='10017551']

[/quote]depends how much a round at bally is running on monday lol...i love that course. hit me up if you're pondering playin there...[/quote]
$140 before 2pm // $95 after 2pm

TITLEIST!...

[quote name='dlgolf2' timestamp='1409147640' post='10017595']
[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1409147420' post='10017565'][quote name='dlgolf2' timestamp='1409147242' post='10017551']

[/quote]depends how much a round at bally is running on monday lol...i love that course. hit me up if you're pondering playin there...[/quote]
$140 before 2pm // $95 after 2pm

[/quote] i'll have to pass for that rate. i could get on golfnow on saturday and probably find cheaper times. tell you what, lets check out golfnow as the weekend gets here - guaranteed the prices are cheaper.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

[quote name='wrayner' timestamp='1409190578' post='10022319']
Anyone been up to pound ridge this season? I always hear a lot about it
[/quote]

Played Pound Ridge today for the first time. The course is tight, but if you can hit it straight, good scores can be made. Pound ridge is not as long as bethpage, and the greens are not nearly as fast. They are definitely not flat at all and it is difficult to make putts at Pound Ridge, but you are not going to be as likely to 3 putt as on Bethpage mostly due to the speed of the greens.

In regards to the conditions, Bethpage is at a completely different level. Even with packed days every single day of the season, Bethpage always seems to be in pristine, perfect condition. That includes the tee boxes, fairways, and greens. Pound Ridge was not bad by any means, but it was definitely chewed up and you can tell that it's the end of the summer when you play there. Totally different feel than Bethpage.

Overall, Pound Ridge is a fun course(if you can hit it straight), but Bethpage is far superior and probably the best Bang for your Buck course out there, even for the $125 out of state rate.

anyone want to play bethpage black on Tuesday? Looking to get out there, will be in town from California.

M2 (2017) 10.5 Fujikura Motore Speeder TS VC 7.2 x
SLDR 15* 3W TP Diamana Ka'ili 80 x
SLDR Hybrid 3 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS VC 9.2 x
4-PW: Titleist 714 MB DG x-100 spined
52-56-60 SM-6
SC Select Newport 2 35"

[quote name='rbz addict' timestamp='1409193361' post='10022651']
[/quote]

Played Pound Ridge today for the first time. The course is tight, but if you can hit it straight, good scores can be made. Pound ridge is not as long as bethpage, and the greens are not nearly as fast. They are definitely not flat at all and it is difficult to make putts at Pound Ridge, but you are not going to be as likely to 3 putt as on Bethpage mostly due to the speed of the greens.

In regards to the conditions, Bethpage is at a completely different level. Even with packed days every single day of the season, Bethpage always seems to be in pristine, perfect condition. That includes the tee boxes, fairways, and greens. Pound Ridge was not bad by any means, but it was definitely chewed up and you can tell that it's the end of the summer when you play there. Totally different feel than Bethpage.

Overall, Pound Ridge is a fun course(if you can hit it straight), but Bethpage is far superior and probably the best Bang for your Buck course out there, even for the $125 out of state rate.
[/quote]

You should have seen it mid-90s - was almost never in good shape.

But I love the black

[quote name='rbz addict' timestamp='1409193361' post='10022651']
[/quote]

Overall, Pound Ridge is a fun course(if you can hit it straight), but Bethpage is far superior and probably the best Bang for your Buck course out there, even for the $[b]125 [/b]out of state rate.
[/quote] it's $150 for us outtastaters :-/

still a damn good price for playing an open quality course. i love it, and will be playing it again soon.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

[quote name='daryguy77' timestamp='1409253100' post='10026347']Anyone know the aerification dates for the courses at Bethpage?

I would prefer to know of the Black and Red, but I'd like to play some of the others when I am there.[/quote]

Black is sept 22. Red I believe is before that. Just call the course they will tell you.

TM P790 UDI #2
TM Spider Putter

[quote name='PThomas' timestamp='1409263350' post='10027199']
[quote name='daryguy77' timestamp='1409253100' post='10026347']Anyone know the aerification dates for the courses at Bethpage?

I would prefer to know of the Black and Red, but I'd like to play some of the others when I am there.[/quote]

Black is sept 22. Red I believe is before that. Just call the course they will tell you.
[/quote]

Found this online and remember seeing the same dates posted this past Monday when blue was closed:

Bethpage Blue will be closed for aeration this coming Monday, August 25 and Tuesday, August 26. Following the Blue next month are the [url="http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2009/10/flyover-bethpage-yellow-course.html"]Yellow Course[/url] (September 16-17) and the [url="http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2011/03/flyover-bethpage-black-course.html"]Black Course[/url] (September 22-23).
Later in the fall season, the [url="http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2011/06/flyover-bethpage-green-course.html"]Green Course[/url] will be aerated on October 8 and 9, and the [url="http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2012/10/flyover-bethpage-red-course.html"]Red Course[/url] will be last to go on October 21 and 22.