Acer XB and Professional Open 690 Wedges....opinions?

cglynn

Hey all. I am looking to build some new wedges and am interested in the two mentioned above. I did some shopping around and can get the XB's and FST Hi rev shafts from Valuegolf, for a decent price, and can get a set of the 690's with Apollo standard shafts and grips from Monarcgolf for a decent price. Thoughts and opinions on both models would be appreciated.

Now, for shafts. I could go with the FST Hi Rev, which I would use in the XB's. If I went with the head/shaft/grip kit for the 690's, I would obviously use the Apollos, tipped as an 8 iron, as I have heard that is a good way to get a standard type shaft work for wedges.

So again, thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks all. Your advice is welcomed to this neophyte club builder.

Chris

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built a set of the xb's years ago. Decent feel, really good Spin but the leading edge design is just not very good Imo. It's very rounded from heal to Toe. Which is OK when your opening the face. But On full, square shots, the leading edge Catches resulting, for me, in inconsistent results.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

The 690s are a design Hireko has had for years. The look a lot like a previous Cleveland head. Note that they are rather light for wedges. As noted before, the XBs sole is different than a lot of wedges. The feel okay but that sole needs to fit your eye. I tried both and I am currently playing Maltby wedges and I find they are much better. Diamond Tour has some wedges that are a little cheaper that might be an option if you are just looking to experiment.

Interesting. I currently use the Maltby Tricept Reds in 56 and 60. My quest for other component wedges started because I wanted to fill a gap at the high end of my set. My wedges are 48.5 (EYE 2+), 56, and 60. I was going to experiment with some other heads, to see if there is anything "better" out there. But maybe I will just stick with the Matby heads. I can get a 52 Tricept Black which would fill that gap. The other reason for looking is that I wanted to see if the XB or 690 soles were more workable than the Tricpet reds.

Thanks

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

After sleeping on it for a few days, and a friend wanting some new grips, I tagged on a Hireko order and picked up a set of the XB wedge heads (52, 56, and 60), some Apollo standard stepped shafts, and a few of the Lamkin Crossline grips (I love 'em).

Got the shafts tipped and prepped and the heads glued in. Epoxy is curing as I type. Should be good to grip tonight and play tomorrow.

Initial impressions are good. I was concerned about the rounded leading edge, but so far my eye has not found it unpleasant. The fit and finish looks as good as anything. Maybe even a bit nicer than my Maltby wedges, which had some small pits in the casting and the area around the cavity (Tricept red) looked unfinished/unsanded. That didn't affect the way the club played at all, but the Acer finish looks better, in my opinion.

So I will get these trimmed and gripped tonight and post some pics, with an initial performance report (chipping practice in the backyard) to follow.

Chris

I got my wedge set finished a few days ago and have been able to get out and chip/pitch in my backyard a bit. Its been raining and cold about every day I have had time to play, so no on the course report, but for anyone interested, I will offer my initial impressions of the Acer XB wedges.

As stated before, fit and finish is great. No casting flaws or marks or anything else. The paint fill and markings look good. Far exceeds expectations for a $9.95 club head.

I have hit shots varying from full shots with wiffle balls to 10 yard pitches, chips, lobs, etc. and can say that these wedges hit them all with ease. On standard shots, I can't really say that these are any better or worse than my old wedges. I hinge and hold and they all pretty much go where I want them too. The rounded leading edge doesn't bother me at all, and I haven't noticed any tendency for the clubs to dig on full shots (52 and 56-haven't hit a full with the 60, as I have yet to do that on a course) What I have noticed with these clubs is that they are great for shots that require the face to open. Open the 60 flat and the Mickelson flop is no problem. Open the 60 a bit less and with a quarter swing I can hit a nice high soft lob. I am far from a tour player when it comes to my short game, but so far, for every shot I have the ability to hit, these clubs have done it. I have no doubt that they could be used for just about any shot imaginable within 100yds.

From my initial testing, what I like the most about these clubs is that I have confidence in them on shots requiring the open face. The narrow sole and the grind allows these things to be wide open and still make good contact without hitting a thin shot. My Maltby wedges with the wider sole don't allow that.

All in all, I've got less $20 in each club, including shipping, and couldn't be happier with them. They do everything a wedge should do. Yeah, they don't say Cleveland or Vokey, but for where my game is, I don't see a high dollar wedge allowing me to play any better than I can with these components.

Bottom line, if you have been thinking about new wedges, and aren't sure about these, if nothing else they are worth a look.

Chris