Mizuno MX-23

Gxgolfer

Mizuno's most forgiving forged Irons. Grain Flow Forged from a single piece of 1035 mild carbon steel, MX-23's unique pocket cavity is then milled to create a low centre of gravity and a wide hitting area. Refinements in the MX-23 improve forgiveness in the long irons and precision in the short irons.

* Dynamic Gold Lite Shafts

* Grain Flow Forged™ 1035 select mild carbon steel for solid, soft feel.

* Reengineered back cavity adds mass behind the hitting area for greater feel.

* Durable double nickel chrome plated with mirror satin finish provides durability and eliminates glare.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a HUGE mizuno fan... I first purchased a set of mx-20's when the first came out and bought the MX-23's when they came out... They feel wonderful when hit on the huge sweet spot. They are also very forgiving on mis hits.... They are not very cluncky or big when you look down on them as are the g2, big berthas, nike sling shots. I am anticipating their replacements and I will surely buy a set of those when they are released.

• 3 months later...

Awesome feel + GI forgiveness = a very happy golfer. I played 54 holes this week with my newly acquired MX-23's and they are far and away the best irons I've ever played (I've been playing about 10 years and I've owned at least a dozen different OEM iron sets). The most surprising thing to me was how soft these feel even on mishits in cold weather (45-65 degrees here in Michigan this week), I hit at least a dozen thin shots this week (my typical iron mis-hit) and nothing felt even close to a stinger. There's alot of weight down low in the MX-23's (all hidden at address) and every thin shot felt solid as opposed to harsh and flew low and on line. These do have noticable offset, but not nearly as much as many cast GI clubs I've used and seen. I'm a double digit handicap and I've been able to switch from a mid trajectory 5-10 foot draw (my normal shot) and a high straight shot at will so far. I've never been able to intentionally hit a fade with irons but these have me believing that with a little work I could add that shot to my arsenal. Mine have the Nippon 950 stiff shafts and I strongly urge anyone reading this who might want a lighter weight steel shaft to at least consider the Nippons - easily the smoothest feeling shaft I've ever played ($8-12 upcharge over the stock shaft from the retailers that I'm aware of). If you've only played cast irons in the past (like me) I strongly urge you to at least demo a Mizuno forging.

7/1/06 update: Still love my 23's and they're in the bag to stay but I've found a singular weakness - toe hits. I've since corrected this problem but I recently played 2 rounds where I was making contact on the toe side of the grooves for about 1 of every 2 shots, the 23's lost significant distance for me on these mishits. I mention this aspect because anyone who is considering these as a GI option and chronically mishits their irons toward the toe might want to consider a set with more heel/toe weighting, I played the BB 2004's and the heel/toe notch weighting seemed to be significantly less punishing on toe mishits.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

• 3 months later...

Been playing the MX23's for 2 years now. Im NEVER going back to cast irons, ever. They are fun to play, offer excellent distance control and also a good dose of forgiveness. They are excellent for mid handicap players who are serious about the game. My handicap? has gone from 23 to 13 in those 2 years....hard to argue with success! Their truly outstanding features? Distance and Feel. LOVE THEM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

MX-23's, great irons. Best irons I have ever played. I love the look of them and the feel. Very solid feeling club, you know when you hit a good one.

Got mine reshafted with the TT Black Gold x-flex shaft to help bring the ball flight down.

Didn't like the stock dynalite steel shafts, the black gold's have made a huge difference in terms of ball flight, feel, and distance.

Find the right shafts for you and these clubs are great.

In the bag to stay.

TaylorMade Jetspeed 9.5*
TaylorMade Jetspeed 3 Wood
TaylorMade SLDR S 3 Hybrid
TaylorMade RSI 1 4-AW
Mizuno JPX 54*, 58*
Odyssey Black Series 2 Ball Putter

• 1 month later...

I've been playing these for almost a year & love them. I got them 2* upright off ebay brand new for $450 delivered. The are great for shaping shots & are as long as any iron I've hit. I've tried to play a 24* hybrid, but find the 4 iron longer, more workable, & just as easy to hit, so I can't justify pulling it from my bag. I would highly recommend these irons for anyone with a sub twenty handicap.

Just ordered a set of 4-pw. Was debating between these and the LT2. I know that the LT2's are more of a "playa" design, but I still hit them well... it just came down to the fact that I'm not going to be playing as much as I'd like this coming year, so I decided to go with more forgiveness, plus some workability. No need to hit 35 yard slinging hooks or fades here, just a liiiiitle bit of workability is all that I require... These are essentially a Christmas gift from the family, so it will be a while before I can conduct a thorough on course review :)

Stock shafts from store are R300 DG's. I will be reshafting with S200s, included with fitting... Swing profile is a smooth transition swinger, with some "zip" at the bottom before impact...

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a set of these and all I can say is wow!! I know that these have been replaced in the Mizuno line, but these are the cat's meow. Very accurate for a "game improvement" offering and a silky smooth feeling at impact. I can see these being in my bag for the long haul.

Cobra King Ltd Black 10.5º - PX Hzrdous Black
Cobra F8+ 16º - Aldila  NV 2KXV Blue 
Cobra King Utility 18º - Recoil 780 es 
Cobra ACP mb 4-P -TT AMT T.I.
TM MG 50º - DG
TM MG 54º - DG
TM MG 58º - DG
TM Spider Tour Black

• 1 year later...

I know am a little late to the MX 23 party but just got these cheap at callaway pre owned with rifle shafts. The thing that initially draw me to these were there classic look, thin top line and not to wide soles. I'm a high handicap so it took a little while to get accustomed to them. First thing I noticed is if you pick the ball instead of pinching the ball your going to hit a lot of thin shots. So as I really wanted these to work for me I changed my swing a little to include pinching the ball which I think is the proper way to hit a iron shot anyway.

I must say after spending tons of money trying different irons am really happy with these and plan on keeping them for a long time. I also feel with the rifle shafts they have a really nice ball flight.

I must add that I did also try the MX 25's and there were equally good but I preferred the thinner top line and cheaper price.

• 5 weeks later...

I have always wanted to play (or at least try) Mizuno- one of the first sets I ever bought was a used set of T-Zoid's. I saw the 23's on Callaway Pre-owned for $260 plus $10.00 shipping. They came this morning from FedEx and I could not wait to get them out of the box, and since it was nice here today, I went to the range this afternoon. All I can say is "Wow"- the shafts are DG Lite S300- I loved the look when I put them down, and the feel when I hit a good one was unreal. I also love the undercut cavity in the long irons... I was excited about this golf year anyway, but now I am really anxious to play and play well. I just called The First Tee to donate my set of TA3's and will be putting the CG4's in the backup bag. I'm tempted to look at some Mizuno wedges as well.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a week of golf in Phoenix and Scottsdale, and could not be more pleased with the performance of these irons. Before I left, I had them regripped with Golf Pride DD2 standard size grips. I played four rounds and each round hit between 7-10 greens- my average last year was between 5-6 per round. I am looking forward to improving with these and playing my best golf ever this year. I have taken the CG4's out of my bag and am looking to sell them.

• 1 month later...
When you set up to the irons, can you see the cavity sticking out?

Thanks.

only on the 3I

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I own 4 sets of Mizuno Irons: MP 30, 33, 57 and 23's. All are shafted Rifle Flighted 6.0's except the 33's which are Project X 5.5's. I love Mizuno irons and like a tennis player with multiple racquets they all see some use at one time or another. The 23's are my bad weather, cold weather forgiving clubs. They are as basic an engineering masterpiece as one can get. They are forged, great feeling, they are forgiving, even the 3 iron is easy to hit, and they are longer than any other Mizuno set in my collection by at least a club. (Generally this is my only rap about Mizuno, is they play a club shorter than other manufacturers.) Except the 23's! The 23's are generally a club longer than other manufacturers and I've tried most forged clubs available. The 23's are also more forgiving than any forged clubs available. I looked at the MX 25 and saw and it demonstrated that they are nothing more than cosmetically enhanced 23's. (A brunette transfigured to a blonde, but with black roots showing.) I've looked at the newer MP 52?? Looks like a scaled down MX23 to me. The 23's are the least workable of the Mizzys I have, but to me they are easiest to hit and they respond. I never have to "step on one" to make a distance. And because they are so forgiving you can lay off or choke down to make them even more compelling. My overall pick for "unconscious" playability. In bad weather when you are trying to stay warm and dry and concentrate on targets, you just step up and take a whack. They deliver. Mizunos with an automatic transmission. Great pick up used if you can find them.

The Chile Guy

• 4 weeks later...

Last fall I bought a set of used MX23's with the regular graphite Mizuno shafts, these were in great shape due to the previous owner using head covers, no bag chatter at all. I had previously been playing Ping i5s and was considering reshafting these with graphite but found the MX23s at a price cheaper than I could reshaft my i5s for. Fantasic decision on my part, the MX23s are very sweet, nice setup, forgiving and the graphite shafts were just what I was looking for. The MX23s are probably one of the best bargains out there for used clubs that still perform at a comparable level to all the new models being offered now. :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Have to agree. I spent all winter trying to knock my 23's out of the bag. I gave up last night and regripped them for the start of their 6th season.

For me the combo of medium top-line, medium offset, medium sized clubhead and stock Dynalite Gold shaft is perfect.

It's a perfect setup for someone who doesn't want the super GI thickness and offest of say a PING G10 but doesn't play enough to handle an MP-52. I'm a 7 hdcp and still don't think the MP-52 is enough for a guy like me who plays once a week and can just slap it around the course for an 80.

I liked the MX-25 but the stock shaft was terrible. The MX-200s to me are a little "Thicker". That said if my 23s were stolen tomorrow I'd probably go MX-200.

• 1 month later...

I've had my mx-23s for a few years and I wore out the PW and the other irons are starting to wear as well. I've been trying to find a replacement but nothing comes close. I've bought Ping G10s - Returned them for Adams Idea A4s and I'm thinking of returning them as well. The mx-200s just didn't feel as good in the store but I might go that way. After playing Mizuno, it's hard to like the feel of anything else.

I just had the MX-23s regripped and had the lofts and Lie adjusted back to spec. Wow, were they bent. The thing that bites about Mizuno is they wear out fast and bend easilly. But... They feel so great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

These were great irons when I had them. Quite forgiving for forged and had a nice look at address. Can pick these up for a song now a days.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#A4A4A4]Ping G Stretch 3 Wood[/color][/size][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G 17 hybrid[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G 19 hybrid[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G20 4 iron[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping i20 5-9[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Cleveland Niblick 42 & 49[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 56[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron Big Sur S[/size][/font][/color]

• 2 years later...