Taylormade golf ball

sthebest91sthebest91 Members Posts: 60
TP Red vs. TP Black
Does any body know which one is more like the Pro v1X, thoughts on the new ball, and which one the tour players are using?

Comments

• venturagolfer87venturagolfer87 Golfing is harder with a fro. Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭
    edited Mar 4, 2008 #2
    from what i understand from reading an interview with the head ball guy from TM in a british golf magazine, the TP black spins more, and thus has a little bit of a higher ball flight, and a tad firmer feel, while the TP red has more controllable spin, a lower more penetrating trajectory, and has a softer cover. i play the new TP black with the LDP dimples, and it's by far the best ball i've ever played. it goes farther than either of the pro V's (in my experiences), and it has plenty of spin, if i can get it to spin back a few feet on the rock hard greens at my local "links" course, then they must be doing something right. and even the TP black has lower spin on the driver than the proV's, so it's a better ball in the wind (titleist balls always seemed to balloon on me). as far as which one is more like the v1x, the tp spins more (the v1x spins more than the v1), but the tp red has a lower ball flight. and as far as tour players, it varies, i know that justin rose and retief goosen play the tp black, and sergio plays the tp red. my recent swing changes have me hitting more of a lower draw, hence i play the tp black. the extra spin never hurts either. hope that helps.
    WITB 2018
    - F8+ 10.5*, Kuro Kage Silver DC TiNi 60
    -2017 M2 3HL, Rulz Type A 70
    -MP H5 2 iron, PX 6.0
    -F6+ Hybrid, S+ 80
    -MP-18 MMC 5-PW, PX 6.0
    -50/54 SM6 Jet Black
    -58 RTX4 Mid Raw
    -Rife Iconic Vault 1
    -Cut Blue
  • ShoxTPShoxTP Members Posts: 695
    That really cleared things up for me. Nice review Ventura
    TM R9 SuperTri TP 8.5° FujiMotoreF1-S
    Ping Isi 3W 15°
    Adams Super 17° Voodooo S
    Ping i20 4-PW CFS-X
    TM TP-Y 52°, Nike Vr 56° 60°
    Yes! Madison 34" SS Flatso
  • cjblake09cjblake09 Members Posts: 1,804 ✭✭
    I think i read somewhere that the 08 Pro V1X is like the TP Red and the Pro V1 is like the TP Black.
  • jpembryjpembry Members Posts: 276
    the way i interpret it is... the tp red and the pro v1x are both 4 piece balls, which produce a lower ball flight.. and the tp black and pro v1 are both 3 piece and will give a slightly higher flight.. the black and the v1 also have a bit of a softer cover than the red and the v1x.. so comparatively the red is most similar to the v1x and the black to the v1.. hope this helps!

oh and ps.. this is different from last years tp balls where the red had the softer cover.. this has caused quite a bit of confusion.
    10.5* - Callaway FT Tour (Epic 68x)
    17* - Taylormade R9 (V2 Tour 87x)
    21* - Taylormade Rescue T3 (Protopype 80x)
    24* - Mizuno MP Fli Hi (C-Taper S+)
    5-PW - Mizuno MP59 (C-Taper S+)
    52*, 56*, 60* - Mizuno MP-T10 (PX Satin 6.0)
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5
  • venturagolfer87venturagolfer87 Golfing is harder with a fro. Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭
    jpembry wrote on Mar 3 2008, 11:34 PM:
    oh and ps.. this is different from last years tp balls where the red had the softer cover.. this has caused quite a bit of confusion.

this is true, the first time i tried taylormade balls i tried the tp red last year, and it felt very soft, and also, (and maybe this was just me), but it seemed like the tp red last year was the ball out of the two that spun more. back then, i had been playing the hx tours exclusively, and when i tried the first tp reds, one mediocre swing and my power fade turned into a right-to-righter slice. anyhow, these new taylormade balls are the best i've tried for my game.
    WITB 2018
    - F8+ 10.5*, Kuro Kage Silver DC TiNi 60
    -2017 M2 3HL, Rulz Type A 70
    -MP H5 2 iron, PX 6.0
    -F6+ Hybrid, S+ 80
    -MP-18 MMC 5-PW, PX 6.0
    -50/54 SM6 Jet Black
    -58 RTX4 Mid Raw
    -Rife Iconic Vault 1
    -Cut Blue
  • bgolfingbgolfing Members Posts: 492
    This is what I got from TM when I emailed them the same question:

\Driver -

TP Red- Higher spin

TP Black - Lower spin

Irons -

TP Red - Lower spin

TP Black - Higher spin If you play ProV1, start with a TP Red If you

play ProV1, start with a TP Red.If you play ProV1x, start with TP Black

TP BLACK

- Softer than Bridgestone and HX tour, similar to ProV1x Spins similar

to ProV1x and ProV1 on full irons

- Launches higher than ProV1 , TP Red. Similar to ProV1x and HX Tour

(it does not spin more than TP RED, it just launches higher)
  • FrohlichFrohlich Members Posts: 597 ✭✭
    Just an FYI but if you check the Taylor Made golf site, it has a diagram of the launch of the TP red and black and shows the black is meant to launch higher and the red to launch lower.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_deta...tion=technology
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,803 ✭✭
    You would think by now, with all the threads on this subject, this would be cleared up. A simple search will find the answers you need.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • sthebest91sthebest91 Members Posts: 60
    thanks for the clarity guys!