2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Fujikura ZCOM MW54

Ty_Webb

I have a Tour Edge Exotics driver 9* with a Fuji ZCOM MW54 in stiff flex. The club is 45.25" long. My other two drivers are an R7 TP with a Fuji Vista Tour 60 X flex and a Titleist 905T with a grafalloy blue stiff. I have from time to time had trouble with hitting driver, but in the past I've always felt like it was my swing that was the problem. With the exotics though it feels like the shaft is whippy and I make what feel like good swings (doesn't mean they are) and the ball goes MILES off line. I know the Zcom is quite a bit torquier than either of the other two shafts I've got and I would expect the grafalloy blue is pretty stiff in the 905T and I know the vista tour x is pretty stiff. So, question: would I be best to pull the zcom and sell it and buy something else a little stiffer? Or, pull the zcom and tip it about an inch (making the club 44.25" long) to stiffen it up - if I did this, would I be worth my while getting it pured at the same time?

The spin characteristics on the exotics driver are great for me and when I get it on line, it goes a very long way, so I'm happy with the head. I just think I need to get something sorted out shaft wise and I'll have a great club. Any help much appreciated. The Titleist is the shaft set up that seems to work best for me, but the head is a bit spinny.

Other info that may help. I play off 2 and have a quick tempo to my swing (which I think is pretty consistent when I'm playing well - that's what i'm more interested in). I don't know anyone who hits it better than I do when I play well (not personally anyway, I've seen people hit it better than me - one whose initials are also TW :) ). I know a few who are better golfers than me, but not striking-wise. I've never had a launch monitor session, but my clubhead speed I believe to be in or around the 110-115 mark and I can vary my launch angle reasonably effectively too, so I'm not too worried about that.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Tour Edge Exotics driver 9* with a Fuji ZCOM MW54 in stiff flex. The club is 45.25" long. My other two drivers are an R7 TP with a Fuji Vista Tour 60 X flex and a Titleist 905T with a grafalloy blue stiff. I have from time to time had trouble with hitting driver, but in the past I've always felt like it was my swing that was the problem. With the exotics though it feels like the shaft is whippy and I make what feel like good swings (doesn't mean they are) and the ball goes MILES off line. I know the Zcom is quite a bit torquier than either of the other two shafts I've got and I would expect the grafalloy blue is pretty stiff in the 905T and I know the vista tour x is pretty stiff. So, question: would I be best to pull the zcom and sell it and buy something else a little stiffer? Or, pull the zcom and tip it about an inch (making the club 44.25" long) to stiffen it up - if I did this, would I be worth my while getting it pured at the same time?

The spin characteristics on the exotics driver are great for me and when I get it on line, it goes a very long way, so I'm happy with the head. I just think I need to get something sorted out shaft wise and I'll have a great club. Any help much appreciated. The Titleist is the shaft set up that seems to work best for me, but the head is a bit spinny.

Other info that may help. I play off 2 and have a quick tempo to my swing (which I think is pretty consistent when I'm playing well - that's what i'm more interested in). I don't know anyone who hits it better than I do when I play well (not personally anyway, I've seen people hit it better than me - one whose initials are also TW :) ). I know a few who are better golfers than me, but not striking-wise. I've never had a launch monitor session, but my clubhead speed I believe to be in or around the 110-115 mark and I can vary my launch angle reasonably effectively too, so I'm not too worried about that.

I play a Zcom MW 54 Stiff untipped, my swing speed is in the high 80's to low 90's. The MW 54 is perfect for me and my swing speed. I would think you would need at least an X and that would probably need tipping also.

I'm giving you the quick answer, somebody who fits for a living, such as Joe K. can give you a much better idea. :blink:

p. s. For what it's worth, the MW 54 is by far the best shaft I've hit to date.

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I bought the club ready fitted. I figured that the shaft would be pullable and then sellable if I didn't get on with it. The price I paid was less than I would have paid for it here with a bog standard shaft anyway, so no great loss.

Apart from the R7, every club I've had since I was about 15 (15 years ago) has been stiff shafted. The R7 feels like a pole to me, although it's fine swinging it. Previous clubs which I've got on fine with have been a 975D, 975J (both with grafalloy prolite stiff), a 975J-VS which had a Titleist speeder in stiff and a 983K which had a stiff speeder 757 in it. This one is the first that seems too whippy from all of those. The reviews I read of the mw54 suggested that it was quite whippy, but could take it.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

I agree that the shaft you have in your driver may be too soft. My swing speed is the same as yours and the recomendation from an excellent clubmaker was the Z-COM 65 TW in an extra stiff. I thought this might be a little too much for me but the results have been extraordinarilly good. This shaft tend to play a little soft, the stiff; but the x-stiff in my R510 couldn't be better for distance and narrowing the dispersion with great feel.

check out the speeder 550...the specs are almost identical to the zcom mw 54 but it definetly plays a lil bit stiffer and it recovers faster than the mw54...

Tm Stealth 2 plus proto driver w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Green 60

Tm Stealth 2 #3 and 5 woods w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Blue 70

Tm P7mc 4-pw w/ KBS $ taper 130 soft stepped 

Tm MG3 50,54,58 w/ KBS Tour

Tm Spider X Tour w/ KBS One Step putter

Tp5x balls

Vessel Carry bag

1. Is your MW54 a US version?

2. Did the guy installed the shaft tipped it properly? Cuz US version has 2" extra for bore through head.

3. Your swing speed show that you need to play and X flex, especially w/ a quick tempo.

4. maybe some other problem that we haven't found out yet here.

Joe

1. I assume so. I got it from a guy in the US (NB it wasn't new - although almost)

2. Again, I assume so. The chap I got it from I think knows his stuff

3. I think this follows, but my bad shot tends to be to the right, which sort of led me to believe that I wanted something a little softer.

4. Okay

Thanks for your help Joe. Sounds like I need to go down the pull route. Will PM you.

To ifixclubs

Thanks for your suggestion. I should point out that when I bought it, it was the clubhead that I was most interested in rather than the shaft, so any suggestions I was after were based more on what people think would be suitable for me (I really have no idea) rather than something similar to the zcom.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

1. Is your MW54 a US version?

2. Did the guy installed the shaft tipped it properly? Cuz US version has 2" extra for bore through head.

3. Your swing speed show that you need to play and X flex, especially w/ a quick tempo.

4. maybe some other problem that we haven't found out yet here.

Joe

1. I assume so. I got it from a guy in the US (NB it wasn't new - although almost)

2. Again, I assume so. The chap I got it from I think knows his stuff

3. I think this follows, but my bad shot tends to be to the right, which sort of led me to believe that I wanted something a little softer.

4. Okay

Thanks for your help Joe. Sounds like I need to go down the pull route. Will PM you.

To ifixclubs

Thanks for your suggestion. I should point out that when I bought it, it was the clubhead that I was most interested in rather than the shaft, so any suggestions I was after were based more on what people think would be suitable for me (I really have no idea) rather than something similar to the zcom.

PM Replied!

Please check, If the shaft was tipped properly...It should be 28 3/4" from the tip to the RED letter Z Com.

For a long timer and good golfer, I see a lot of their shot went to the right due to a lot of lag and combination of late release.

Thanks Joe

Do you by any chance know how far it would be from the shaft entering the clubhead to the tip on a tour edge? It's not a bore through, so it must stop somewhere inside the head and I don't know where.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

26.3" from the clubhead end of the red Z to the start of the hosel. The hosel is about 3/4", so 27 plus whatever's inside the clubhead. In any case, it's certainly not going to be 30.75" which would mean it had been fitted incorrectly.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

26.3" from the clubhead end of the red Z to the start of the hosel. The hosel is about 3/4", so 27 plus whatever's inside the clubhead. In any case, it's certainly not going to be 30.75" which would mean it had been fitted incorrectly.

My estimate is 27.5" ( Estimate 1.2" inserttion depth ) all the way to the tip at least, So who ever installed it...didn't tipped it enough for an S flex (3/4" less from hwat is supposed to be ).

JOe

My estimate is 27.5" ( Estimate 1.2" inserttion depth ) all the way to the tip at least, So who ever installed it...didn't tipped it enough for an S flex (3/4" less from hwat is supposed to be ).

JOe

I thought tipping was taking shaft off the tip end? Surely if it's 27.5" that means that too much has been taken off and it's actually been tipped a bit more than it should have been? Now confused.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

• 4 weeks later...

PM Replied!

Please check, If the shaft was tipped properly...It should be 28 3/4" from the tip to the RED letter Z Com.

For a long timer and good golfer, I see a lot of their shot went to the right due to a lot of lag and combination of late release.

Right, the shaft has now been pulled. It's 44.5" long in total and it measures 28.5" from the tip to the tip end of the red Z and 28.75" from the tip to the butt end of the red Z. Is this right? Can't be far wrong in any case. Interestingly enough, the shaft cycled at 5 cpm higher at 90* to square than at square.

I got some launch monitor figures, which showed my SS at around 110 with the R7 and 113-115 with the TEE. The Exotics is a little longer and the shaft is lighter which I think explains the higher clubhead speed. Ball speed with the R7 was around 162-164mph, launch around 8* with about 2500rpm spin. Didn't get much info with the TEE, but it was around the same ball speed with a lower launch and lower spin.

I don't mind hitting it low since it's often windy and I can hit it higher if I need to. Been recommended a Diamana 73X (was being a label whore at the time so asked for the Diamana) as it's similar characteristics to the Vista Tour. The guy said the 83X would be too strong and suggested an 83S would be comparable.

Sound reasonable? In particular in comparison with what I said above?

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

PM Replied!

Right, the shaft has now been pulled. It's 44.5" long in total and it measures 28.5" from the tip to the tip end of the red Z and 28.75" from the tip to the butt end of the red Z. Is this right? Can't be far wrong in any case. Interestingly enough, the shaft cycled at 5 cpm higher at 90* to square than at square.

I got some launch monitor figures, which showed my SS at around 110 with the R7 and 113-115 with the TEE. The Exotics is a little longer and the shaft is lighter which I think explains the higher clubhead speed. Ball speed with the R7 was around 162-164mph, launch around 8* with about 2500rpm spin. Didn't get much info with the TEE, but it was around the same ball speed with a lower launch and lower spin.

I don't mind hitting it low since it's often windy and I can hit it higher if I need to. Been recommended a Diamana 73X (was being a label whore at the time so asked for the Diamana) as it's similar characteristics to the Vista Tour. The guy said the 83X would be too strong and suggested an 83S would be comparable.

Sound reasonable? In particular in comparison with what I said above?

IMO Anything above 110mph will be X flex at 90% rate, the other 10% is if you are a smooth tempo swinger ( slightly under flex ).

10* launch angle is low already but *8 is really low IMO. If you can hit the ball w/ the same set up and manipulate the ball flight to a 13*...then you should have no problem w/ the loft.

Joe