Anyone ever try Wedgewood hybrids advertised in Golf Mag?

Freddy300

Shank resistant.
http://www.wedgewoodgolf.com/1special.php

They have a special on the 38" deg or 8 iron for $39.99. It looks pretty nice. Maybe it could help that guy stuck in Shank City.

Now that I got my free Golf Mag sub from Edwin Watts and my free Golf Digest for buying a hand cart at Target - I will probably have a lot more annoying questions about other products. ;)

A friend of mine that has endless cash and likes to try all the infomercial crap bought one a few years ago. It is ugly as sin. I would say it's damn near un-hittable. I'm a +2 and probably hit 10 balls before one even resembled a normal ball flight.

It was an absolute POS. I didn't want to hit it, but he's a 8-9, couldn't hit a good shot with it, and wanted me to give it a swing.

I would buy the 1000cc golfsmith gadget driver for a good laugh before investing in a wedgewood.

• Like 1

A friend of mine that has endless cash and likes to try all the infomercial crap bought one a few years ago. It is ugly as sin. I would say it's damn near un-hittable. I'm a +2 and probably hit 10 balls before one even resembled a normal ball flight.

It was an absolute POS. I didn't want to hit it, but he's a 8-9, couldn't hit a good shot with it, and wanted me to give it a swing.

I would buy the 1000cc golfsmith gadget driver for a good laugh before investing in a wedgewood.

LOL! Thanks. I wonder if your friend bought The Hammer driver from Jack Hamm? Any other infomercials buys that sick out?

LOL! Thanks. I wonder if your friend bought The Hammer driver from Jack Hamm? Any other infomercials buys that sick out?

I don't believe he ever bought a PPPPPOOOOOOWWWWW Hammer, but did try out those wacky wedges with diamonds on the face for super duper spin. Ya, you guessed it - pieces of sh.... ;)

• 12 years later...

I recently received a Wedgewood 38 degree 8 Hybird as a gift  I have played 2 rounds and a few trips to Top Golf so far and I love this club!  In fact I have already purchased the 44 degree Wedgewood and my plan is to sell my single length Iron set and replace them with the Wedgewoods. They are easy to hit and have great accuracy and distance.  Price is reasonable too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...

I am a high handicapper (e.g. 20) and had been away from the game for 15 years (kids were young, career, etc.) but last year had the time and actually played 75 rounds.  

I had a set of Mizuno MX-20 irons and was chunking them and quite inconsistent.  Was really frustrated with approach shots.  Somehow I stumbled either on an ad for the Wedgewood 7 hybrid iron and thought what the hell, so I ordered one.  It turned out to be far easier to hit than my Mizunos, more consistent and just inspired confidence.  So, I thought  I will buy the 9 and pitching wedge from Wedgewood.  Same experience, very easy to hit and inspiring a lot of confidence.  I was sold and bought the rest of their hybrid irons and conservatively I saved ten strokes a round because I was no longer chunking.

Clubs don't cure bad swings, I agree but I think the reason Wedgewood hybrid irons work for me I because they are heavy (which I like) and I tend to have a steep angle of attack which is helpful with these clubs.

Needless to say, I am a big fan of the brand.  i think they dont get a lot of love on the course and people look down at them because they are not a traditional iron design, but they are fully compliant with the USGA, and I am now shooting 95 instead of 105.  I bet if I had Cleveland Halo Launchers i would get more respect because it is a more well known brand (but I dont care about what people think).

I agree they are shorter in distance but I just use a different club in their line up to achieve the same distance.

They dont have the promotional dollars that the big brands have but they sure deliver a lot of satisfaction to guys like me with a slower club head speed (e.g. 83mph) and high handicap. 

I recommend their hybrid irons.

• Like 2

There's a right way and a wrong way to make SGI hybrid irons. Cleveland for one does it the right way, with the sole made progressively deeper as the loft decreases, while the sole length on the wedges and short irons isn't much different than standard irons. These Wedgewood have the same extended sole across the board. That's the wrong way to make SGI hybrid irons.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

47 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

There's a right way and a wrong way to make SGI hybrid irons. Cleveland for one does it the right way, with the sole made progressively deeper as the loft decreases, while the sole length on the wedges and short irons isn't much different than standard irons. These Wedgewood have the same extended sole across the board. That's the wrong way to make SGI hybrid irons.

How is the design wrong?  Do you have a source or just your opinion?

Does it contribute to a poorer shot?

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to comment.  

Edited by WedgewoodFan

In the long irons the extended sole gives higher MOI, which improves accuracy, although for best results you should be playing a shallow sweep swing, the same as you would with fairway woods. The higher the loft the less advantage high MOI gives, while an extended sole makes it more difficult to play a steep attack swing that promotes spin. That's why the sole shouldn't be the same length throughout the set. If you're playing a sweep swing in the short irons and wedges the long sole won't hurt, but you're not going to put enough spin on the ball to drop it and stop it.

• Like 1

Callaway Supersoft

28 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

In the long irons the extended sole gives higher MOI, which improves accuracy, although for best results you should be playing a shallow sweep swing, the same as you would with fairway woods. The higher the loft the less advantage high MOI gives, while an extended sole makes it more difficult to play a steep attack swing that promotes spin. That's why the sole shouldn't be the same length throughout the set. If you're playing a sweep swing in the short irons and wedges the long sole won't hurt, but you're not going to put enough spin on the ball to drop it and stop it.

Thanks for commenting again.  Appreciated!

Sure. These are Halo XL irons. You can see how the sole gets longer as the loft goes down. The wedges aren't much different than any other hollow construction wedges, but then they get progressively longer in the sole, so when you get to the 4 it is very much a hybrid, not an iron.

1629291494348.jpeg

Callaway Supersoft

28 minutes ago, chrism said:

They seem to work well for Alice Cooper, reputedly a 4 handicap:

https://golf.com/gear/fully-equipped-4-things-i-learned-playing-golf-with-alice-cooper/

Came in to post this.  

• Like 1

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey crappy golfers out there! You know, the ones who score 90 or more after golfing 10 years or more. The ones who fade the ball, hit poor shots and seem to putt the ball every shot! Well, I used to be one of you! March 2023 I've been playing golf 8 years now, and am now a Classified B Golfer when playing in tournaments, and by the way, these clubs have helped me finish no worse than a fourth place along with 2 second places and one first in the four tournaments I've in, all thanks to these ugly clubs and of course a decent team! How does 2 Holes in One and 21 Eagles grab you! since I started using them about 5 years ago! Oh, I'm not forgetting averaging 3 to 6 birdies per round with them! Yes, they are ugly, but my game was so bad [averaging 110 to 120] after 3 years I bought the 7 they had on special and never turned back! I am not a sales person or spokes person for them, and do not brag about my clubs, they do the talking for me! I would say to anyone who wants to improve their game, try their sale club! go to the range, not once but a lot and give them a chance? Enough said. If you don't try them and give them a chance, how can your golf game improve? Thanks for listening! Ken.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

ha ha I bought one.  gonna play with no actual irons.  some niblicks, this thing, couple hybrids and woods.  Ten clubs no irons . Wish me luck! 

• Like 1

PXG 311XF 9*

PXG 0211 7w

Mizuno JPX FliHi 23 & 27
Srixon ZX4 8-P
TaylorMade MG Hi Toe 50, 56
Cleveland Niblick 37
Odyssey O Works No. 7
Callaway Matte Green Super Soft/Srixon Soft Feel Matte Green/Wilson Staff Duo Matte Green or White

• 5 months later...

I bought a set for my wife years ago and she hit them really well. She didn't get along well with irons much. Fast forward to this year where I've been scuffling bad for the last month and threw them in my bag.

I shot an 80 second time out with them which is a bit better than my average and tons better than I had been scoring. Easy to hit, but surprisingly short for hybrid irons. They do have old school lofts, 6H is 30* and shorter shaft than normal hybrids. I hit the 7H only 125 which is what I used to hit my 9 iron. But they're accurate. I'll likely hit more greens with them but won't stick the occasional one really close like I might with an iron.

I have no intention of playing them forever, I just needed something to shock my system for awhile, but if they keep working, who knows?

• Like 1