Ping G or G400 Crossover 5

agolf1 ·  
agolf1agolf1 Members  1915WRX Points: 1,089Posts: 1,915 Platinum Tees
Anyone with a mid-90s mph driver swing speed play the Crossover 5?

I like the look (and offset) of an iron vs a hybrid. I can hit the G25 5-iron (26*) about 175-180 yards carry and reasonably high enough to hold most greens. However, I don't really have enough speed to elevate this club off of a downhill lie or questionable lie in the rough.

Wondering if the Crossover 5 would be more playable or if the loft (24*-25*) and lack of speed will still make the club difficult to hit unless the lie/stance is ideal. Many comments say these clubs are more irons than hybrids so I worry it could be tough.

Also, if anyone can comment on whether the Crossovers have more or less offset than the comparable G series irons, that would be great (only read that they have a fair amount of offset but it is unclear what the reference point is).

Unfortunately, I probably can't test one out before buying it...
Posted:
Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)

Comments

• herdmanherdman Members  744WRX Points: 88Posts: 744 Golden Tee
    agolf1 wrote:

I like the look (and offset) of an iron vs a hybrid. I can hit the G25 5-iron (26*) about 175-180 yards carry and reasonably high enough to hold most greens. However, I don't really have enough speed to elevate this club off of a downhill lie or questionable lie in the rough.

Wondering if the Crossover 5 would be more playable or if the loft (24*-25*) and lack of speed will still make the club difficult to hit unless the lie/stance is ideal. Many comments say these clubs are more irons than hybrids so I worry it could be tough.

Also, if anyone can comment on whether the Crossovers have more or less offset than the comparable G series irons, that would be great (only read that they have a fair amount of offset but it is unclear what the reference point is).

I have one and have near that driver swing speed. I take it in and out the bag. I have mixed results with it. I bought it to replace my regular 5 iron and really and am having more luck with a 6 hybrid to replace the 5 iron(and 5 Ping G Crossover). I tend to fade it our push it right. I don't find it particularly easy to hit.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1915WRX Points: 1,089Posts: 1,915 Platinum Tees
    herdman wrote:

agolf1 wrote:

I have one and have near that driver swing speed. I take it in and out the bag. I have mixed results with it. I bought it to replace my regular 5 iron and really and am having more luck with a 6 hybrid to replace the 5 iron(and 5 Ping G Crossover). I tend to fade it our push it right. I don't find it particularly easy to hit.

Thanks. I kind of what to get one and give it a try. But objectively, I think the results are going to be OK at best, with the bad swings being really bad.
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.