Another C-taper question

Bucket

Currently playing MP-15's with c-taper's in stiff flex. Moving to the 919 tour head and after the fitting we decided to go back with c-tapers, but just realized that they make an S+ flex. Trackman numbers below(7 iron in c-taper S flex, +.5" and I cancelled out the mishit) - you can see that based off the "face to path" column that I play a left to right shot. Will the S+ flex reduce some of the left to right ball flight? Will the S+ reduce spin and cause the balls to run out more? I am 6'4 and play shaft .75 inches over, does that impact the stiffness some? Do you think S or S+ based off this data? Thanks for the responses.

Sorry for another c-taper thread, I did not want to jump in on the one below.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of questions, what ball were you using and did they setup ball characteristics correctly on the trackman because 99mph CHS is quite high for a 7 iron.... Your spin is spot on at around 7k, and your peak height is around 20-25ft higher than avg, your decent angle is pretty good for how high you hit it and launch is real high for still having that amount of spin. I'm just wondering if there was some boosting going on from the fitter....

Anyways, the shaft flex generally will not reduce side spin as much as vertical spin. If you are having issues with that it's usually club head (lie angle, type of head) if it is equipment issue. Most shafts flex profile can be maintained by just trimming the butt end but going .75" over is a lot. If you are swinging 7 iron 99mph CHS you should probably be in the 130x unless you like the lighter shafts 120x. Personally, I don't notice a difference between x, s+, s. I play 120X because I have similar launch conditions and I am high spin but with -8mph than you.

EDIT* what are you trying to do with your irons? Max distance, spin, gapping distances, hit them better?

S+ or even the X flex with 100mph 7i. That should in theory, lower launch, peak height and spin and bit. How does the S feel? I would definitely try the S+ and/or X in the C-Taper before purchasing just to see how it performs comparatively.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

You should definitely try the S+. I swing at similar speeds as you and also play a cut. I played the C-Taper 130X for the last 4 years and just recently went to the 125 S+ after I made some swing changes to get my ball flight down. The S+ feels so much better when not making a full rip. I also tried soft stepping the 130X and the 125S+ still feels better. IMO if you play a high cut anything you can do to get your ballflight down a little helps. You lose less distance on into the wind shots and you airmail less with the wind at your back. I just wish more companies offered the S+ as a "standard" custom option, not many do. Good luck and hope you like whatever you end up in.

> @Pittknife said:

> Couple of questions, what ball were you using and did they setup ball characteristics correctly on the trackman because 99mph CHS is quite high for a 7 iron.... Your spin is spot on at around 7k, and your peak height is around 20-25ft higher than avg, your decent angle is pretty good for how high you hit it and launch is real high for still having that amount of spin. I'm just wondering if there was some boosting going on from the fitter....

>

> Anyways, the shaft flex generally will not reduce side spin as much as vertical spin. If you are having issues with that it's usually club head (lie angle, type of head) if it is equipment issue. Most shafts flex profile can be maintained by just trimming the butt end but going .75" over is a lot. If you are swinging 7 iron 99mph CHS you should probably be in the 130x unless you like the lighter shafts 120x. Personally, I don't notice a difference between x, s+, s. I play 120X because I have similar launch conditions and I am high spin but with -8mph than you.

>

> EDIT* what are you trying to do with your irons? Max distance, spin, gapping distances, hit them better?

The main thing, is I realized the best player on earth is playing irons more forgiving than I am and I would like to be more consistent and not hit the high spinner that lands 10-12 yards short. Ideally, I would like to hit the ball straighter and remove some of the left to right. I do realize that most of that is a swing path issue, but if a club can help, I would like to use that to my advantage as well. I was hitting taylormade TP5 balls from an indoor hitting facility onto a range to see full ball flight. Since I made my post, I have talked to Mizuno's call center and the S+, is not available so I can hard step the S flex and achieve the same FCM according to the shaft chart that is often posted here.

Thanks a ton for the responses.

> @Bucket said:

> > @Pittknife said:

> > Couple of questions, what ball were you using and did they setup ball characteristics correctly on the trackman because 99mph CHS is quite high for a 7 iron.... Your spin is spot on at around 7k, and your peak height is around 20-25ft higher than avg, your decent angle is pretty good for how high you hit it and launch is real high for still having that amount of spin. I'm just wondering if there was some boosting going on from the fitter....

> >

>

> > Anyways, the shaft flex generally will not reduce side spin as much as vertical spin. If you are having issues with that it's usually club head (lie angle, type of head) if it is equipment issue. Most shafts flex profile can be maintained by just trimming the butt end but going .75" over is a lot. If you are swinging 7 iron 99mph CHS you should probably be in the 130x unless you like the lighter shafts 120x. Personally, I don't notice a difference between x, s+, s. I play 120X because I have similar launch conditions and I am high spin but with -8mph than you.

> >

> > EDIT* what are you trying to do with your irons? Max distance, spin, gapping distances, hit them better?

>

> The main thing, is I realized the best player on earth is playing irons more forgiving than I am and I would like to be more consistent and not hit the high spinner that lands 10-12 yards short. Ideally, I would like to hit the ball straighter and remove some of the left to right. I do realize that most of that is a swing path issue, but if a club can help, I would like to use that to my advantage as well. I was hitting taylormade TP5 balls from an indoor hitting facility onto a range to see full ball flight. Since I made my post, I have talked to Mizuno's call center and the S+, is not available so I can hard step the S flex and achieve the same FCM according to the shaft chart that is often posted here.

>

> Thanks a ton for the responses.

>

Good luck bro, let us know how it turns out. I would go 120x and at worst just reshaft with + if it doesn’t turn out right but I think your speed can handle it.