2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Top of Bag Setup Considerations

mxskier

There has been tons of discussion about "top of bag" setup. Each person approaches it differently - I'm curious about the many ways people think about your top of bag. "Top of bag" I consider everything from Driver to 4 iron slot.

We all probably agree Driver is "hit it as far as you can" but what about the next clubs? Not how can I hit it but, how you do you play it? How do you think about it?

For example, for me:

- Driver = hit as far as I can, and favors right

- 3 wood = primarily a tee club, rarely need as a second shot into a par 5, but if I do, there's no danger up there. Also more easily to turn over to get going straight or left. Which I will tend to play on either slightly shorter par 4s or even long par 4s that tend to dogleg left.

- 3 hybrid = comfort club off the tee. Tends to fly off a tee around 250-260, roll to 260-270, can go either direction. Can also play into par 5s, though still can come in a bit shallow if I draw it in, so landing on the front of the green will tend to run to the back.

- 4 iron = long par 3, tight par 4 if under 380 yards. Also just a regular iron.

How do you think about your bag and how do you use those clubs?

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

I did a change on the top of my bag at the last month…

before the setup was Driver for the long shots, Mini driver for accuracy of the tee of on bad days with my driver. Fairway 5/19 for the real fairway shoot and hybrid 22 / driving iron 21 depending on conditions. 

but I made a change in the driver fine tuning and now I am so confident with it that I skipped the Mini to put a real 3 wood in the bag that I am able to hit of the ground and of the tee as well. The 3 wood lofted down a bit is as long as the Mini, but overall the 3 wood is more versatile. Mostly I loft up a bit and play the 3 wood with 16 degrees and have a 7 wood in the bag that I hit better and more solid than the hybrid. The driving iron is still there sometimes. 

another idea to mention is a 2 driver setup with different curvature hat you have the monster long one and the not that much shorter but more safe version. 

I am going into my third season for the "top of bag" (see below). I missed most of last season due to leg injury, but the mix carries over.

Driver (10.5*): usually my most accurate long club. Two years ago I could get it out to about 230 yds.* total... not sure what my post-injury distance will be. Use driver unless it's a short par 4 where driver would carry through landing area.

Fairway woods: 4W (16.5*) + 7W (21*). Been playing this since 2012, although I've changed models a couple of times.

• Extra loft of 4W gives me more reliable launch than 3W, with actually a couple of extra yards on distance. Total distance about 210.*
  • 7W very versatile. Distance maybe 195*... Blasts ball out of medium rough with vigor. Good tee club when I have to drop a dart into a tight fairway, or for a longish par 3 (won't run off forever). Holds shots into elevated greens fairly well.

4H (22*): Distance about 185*... I've learned to hit stinger with 4H, so it can be a tee club when I want to keep ball lower, and landing area can handle runout. Let me drop 4i... My Mav MAX 5i carries longer than my old irons, so with the stretch I was able to drop the 4i and add back a GW. Also easier to hit than 4i...

That's how things shake out.

*Note: Distances shown are pre-injury. Reestablishing my yardstick as I get back into playing.

Edited by ChipNRun
Added loft (in blue) for clubs.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I just tweaked the top of my bag a few times in terms of clubs and how I play them.

3+ months ago and for years before that

Driver - primarily played a draw

3w at 14.5* turned to 16*

5w at 18.5* turned to 19.5*

4h

3 months ago to up until last night...LOL

Driver - primarily trying to just hit it straight and not trying to play a draw

3w at 14.5*

5w at 18.5*

7w at 21*

Last night I made a switch at the range I want to test out for a few weeks

Driver - I'm now primarily trying to play a small cut shot, which I feel super confident with at the moment

5w at 18.5* turned down to 17*

7w at 21* turned down to 20*

4h at 22*

With the cut shot on my driver, I am losing maybe 5-8 yards of distance from my max drive, but I'm way more consistent.  My max distance on my 14.5* 3 wood wouldn't be that much shorter, so I felt that turning my 5w down to 17* would be a much more usable gap and giving me a more versatile club option in my bag with the 4h.

• Like 1

Finally got the top of my bag dialed in.

Off the tee, I have moved to a Brnr MINI Driver, 13 turned down to 12, 43”.  I just hit this club much more consistently than a 460ccm club.

Next, I have Callaway Rogue ST Max 5, 7 & 9 woods.  The gapping between 7 & 9 is a little tight, but I have them shafted a bit differently than one another so they do serve individual purposes.

No hybrids.  I prefer the woods.  First iron in the bag is 5, which generally gaps well with 9 wood.

• Like 2

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Brnr MINI Driver | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R, Rogue St Max 9 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 5-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 34" stock shaft

D @ 8, weight h2, +0.75 upright : send it high, low, straight to cut. Comfortable from the turf.

3w @ 14.25, N, +0.75 upright: send it high, low, straight to cut

5w @ 17.25, t2, +0.75 upright: gapping, straight to draw (toe pattern given the compact head), flight this when I need a fairway… covers a nice range that gaps 3w to 4i. I have experimented a ton with 2 and 3 iron utilities (range of lofts and sole shapes with ventus HB shafts) however, my 5w provides greater versatility generally given its compact shaping. I’ve never gotten along with hybrids (huge left bias, in my case).

4i @ 23, 2* flat

I like weight in the toe for 5w so I have the feeling I can release the club hard without a left miss. When I play a 7-9 club minimal sets, I play: D-5w-4i at the top.

Edited by g_nw

TSR3 8 15 18, Ventus TR Black 6x 7x 8x

20 P7MC 4-p, Axiom 125x

SM10 raw 50 54 60, TI S400 onyx

AOP Oil Can Newport 33 350

I am about to add a club up top. I have an empty slot and a lack of confidence in the longer stuff so in transition.

-Currently running 10.5 Driver cut down 1" that gets me averaging of 275 overall. Still working on technique so I have a 2 way miss. Depending on what shows up each day I might run driver alot or not at all. The miss left is manageable, the right miss is not good.

-Second up is a 3w with loft turned up to 16* and cut down 1". This is a 250+ club off the tee and 240 off of the deck. I use it off the tee box when the driver is acting up and second shot on long par 5's. This is a consistent club. slight draw to straight off of tee, and slight fade off the deck.

-Third is a 3H that I turned up to 20.5*. This is a 230 off the tee club and about 220 off the deck. I also use this as my trouble club. I use it to putt out from under trees, and get me back on the fairway. As far as full swing I have little confidence in what direction it will go. Sometimes it is a hard hook left, sometimes a big slice. Only time works well is if I keep it low on a 3/4 swing or less.  It looks odd at address and I am never confident. 

- Next is my 5i. This is my 210 club off a tee, 200 off the dirt, up to 220 off a tee if I crank on it off a tee. Though when I crank on it it tends to go too far left. 

Currently I am entertaining the idea of getting a 5 wood and adjusting it to be a 230 yd or so club and ditching the 3H. And possibly adding a 5h or 4h, which ever would fill the gap better between the 5i and the 5w. Possibly 7w, since I haven't had much luck with hybrids. Though I do like the hybrid for punching out of trouble. Not sure how a 7w would fill that purpose

Edited by HGLucky13

Wellllllllllll, since you asked!

(Copied by myself, from myself, fwiw, but I've changed out a club since then so it has been edited from original copy.  Yes, that's how often I change up stuff in my bag, what of it?!?!?!)

Tee Shot Clubs - Can we just get the ball in play off the tee please?  Can we?  PLEASE???

AI Smoke TD 8° w/HZRDUS Yellow - I really liked the Rogue White shaft I started the year with.  At least, I think that is what I started with, who really knows at this point? (When was the beginning of the year again?)  But, the miss with it was an enormous block and that only comes into play on holes where I preferred to play a low snapper, soooooooo.....  So, I took 6 different shafts out to the practice tee and let 'er rip, tater chip.  The HZRXRSOUDNGUSGAAAAAAA Yellow was the one shaft that I could swing as hard & smooth as possible and as long as my impact location was decent, the ball would go kinda out there somewhere playable, and it might even draw a hair, if the moon is in the right aspect.  The rest of the shafts are all currently in the purgatorious state that is the trunk of my car, just in case.

Epic Flash Sub Zero 460cc 10.5° turnt up for what to 12.5° w/Voodoo VS - This is a tough spot in the bag for me because my BB 815 Alpha fairway (with same Voodoo VS shaft) has hit more greens for me from 250yds+ than all the other fairway woods in my life combined.  But, this spot in the bag has to be a tee shot club first and foremost for me, so I put together this beast.  Low sliding piss-missles for days!

Swiss Army Clubs - Kinda have to do a little bit of everything here (tee, turf, fade, draw, cover the largest distance gaps while staying out of penalty areas, make me nachos when I'm drunk, etc.)

Epic Flash 17° w/Rogue MAX - I've had this club since they came out, and while it isn't the longest or best feeling or golly-gee-wow club out there, it just works more often for me than other clubs in this spot.  Translation: I hit fewer absolutely horrendous shots with this club than others in this spot.  

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto - What can I say, again this is a trusted club and a trusted shaft.  I have the speed to play a DI here, and it should fit the bag better, but every time I try one the forgiveness just doesn't hold up to how poorly I put the face on the ball, so here we sit.  

I highly recommend looking at the top of the bag in a similar manner, especially if you have above average length off the tee.  

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

The way I see it is that the average golfer such as myself needs a 10 degree driver, and two woods around 15 and 20 degrees (today probably labeled 4 and 7 woods), which was standard equipment before things went crazy.  Next club is 20 degree iron which might be labeled a driving iron or utility club or a hybrid if you must then the rest of the irons.

The woods are for advancing the ball towards the green, some tees shots, second shots on par fives, and recovery shots on par fours, and the irons for trying to hit the green from the fairway if in range.  As far as I can see the layup is the average golfer’s friend.

Top of the bag is for movement. Get closer to the hole. Not precision. 
do you really need the longest 3w made? Or something consistent you hit well? 
let your horses do the work. The other 10-11 sticks

keep it in play, and have fun doing it. 

amen 

praise baby Jesus

• Like 2

LOL, I change this all the time. The driver is set at 10° and it’s constant. The 23° 5 iron never comes out. In between, multiple hybrids and utilities plus the 3HL. I have this fixation on only two head covers and the rest irons. The 3UI is usually there but if I want to lower the handicap further (a new scenario ) I suspect, for me, the best set up would be D, 3HL, 4H, 5i. 

Driver = Callaway Rogue ST Max w Kai’li White 60S

3HL = Callaway Paradigm X w Tensei AV Blue 75S

3UI = Srixon ZX Mkii w Recoil DART 90
5-PW = XXIO X 12 w N.S. Pro 950GH Neo DST

Wedges = Cobra Snakebite 48 | 52 | 58

Putter = Wilson Staff Model 8802 

Ball = 2024 AVX 

The top of my bag is in a little bit of flux as I just got the new Cleveland hy-wood to test out, but haven't been able to play or test. I'll gladly explain my thought process on the setup though. 

Previous setup

D1-sim max d 9° clicked down 1. Distance with decent control left side generally out of play unless I pull it. Tee only.

D2-sim max d 10.5 clicked up 2 this is sacrificing total distance for accuracy and generally takes the right side out of play. 98% tee, might hit off the deck if the stars align

Hy-wood-probably jack of all trades but leaning towards tee shots or 200 yard par 3s. Previously 3hy and 5w-were in competition here these are jack of all trades: tee shot, ball advancement, attacking greens, rescue. 

Now 5 wood lofted up to 20° hope for this to be 175-190 yard jack of all trades club with more fairway/approach usage. Previously this was a 4 hybrid.  Then I go into 5 hybrid.

Edited by Roejye

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

2 hours ago, GDB67 said:

Top of the bag is for movement. Get closer to the hole. Not precision  

Isn’t this true for every club? I don’t have any club in my bag where precision isn’t a consideration. 

Driver: as long and straight as I can hit it. I just want to put the ball in play and be as far down the hole as possible. I do like being able to adjust ball flight by changing tee height and ball position to try and flight it the way that a hole requires. 

3 wood: on good days this is my favourite club in the bag. Sometimes it’s a bit more one dimensional. It can always deliver high, straight shots from both tee and fairway but when it’s on, it can do just about anything from low cuts to high floaty draws. 

Driving iron: lower flighted shots from tee when wind conditions call for it. Also one of the easiest clubs in the bag to hit a low slinging hook with when out of position on long left dogleg holes. 

3-iron onwards: an iron is an iron is an iron. 

TaylorMade SIM Max - 6M3 X

Titleist 906F4 - Whiteboard 83 X

TaylorMade TP UDI 2 - Modus 120 X

Mizuno MP-37 3-9 - S300

TaylorMade MG raw 50-12, 58-08, 60-07 - S300 (50), X7 (58, 60)

Scotty Cameron Newport AoP PP

Currently in the bag.

TSR2 9 Degree Ventus TR Red 6x(Waiting to test a 6x Black) 

Ping G425 Max 5w @16 Degree Ventus Blue 7x

Apex UW 19 Degree Ventus TR Red 8x
4i T150 KBS Tour V

All of these are subject to change. Goal with the driver is in play with a slight cut. I'm left-handed so I never want to see the ball go right.

The 3/5 wood slot is a dead slot for me. I play most golf at a 6200-yard course. So if I can't hit driver I still have a wedge into the holes with the Apex UW and the par 5s are short enough a good drive leaves me less than a 3/5 wood in. For this slot I'm considering a BRNR Mini or some other mini hopefully coming to market soon as I have been someone who struggles with driver. Love the Apex UW was worried it would go too long for my gapping it worked nicely with the TR Red and goes around 230. 4i will be looking for something with more forgiveness like T200 for T350. I think the top of the bag should mostly be one dimensional, with the exception of one club that is extremely versatile. 

26 minutes ago, oskaru said:

Isn’t this true for every club? I don’t have any club in my bag where precision isn’t a consideration. 

Driver: as long and straight as I can hit it. I just want to put the ball in play and be as far down the hole as possible. I do like being able to adjust ball flight by changing tee height and ball position to try and flight it the way that a hole requires. 

3 wood: on good days this is my favourite club in the bag. Sometimes it’s a bit more one dimensional. It can always deliver high, straight shots from both tee and fairway but when it’s on, it can do just about anything from low cuts to high floaty draws. 

Driving iron: lower flighted shots from tee when wind conditions call for it. Also one of the easiest clubs in the bag to hit a low slinging hook with when out of position on long left dogleg holes. 

3-iron onwards: an iron is an iron is an iron. 

You hit many 3/4 drivers? Or sawed off 3 woods that go 140 with a baby cut? 

Point being, the bottom of the bag(+) is more creative and imaginative. Not just get a distance in mind. Whack it. 

I had a problem with very high dynamic loft and consequent spin. My bag was set up to ameliorate that.  It's been fixed, I guess, given my last TM session (radar balls, no italics). But keep that in mind.

3W is 14.5° TD-T Rogue ST.  Yes, the 'Tour only' one.  I took the regular 3W LS version, with a 7x Ventus Black, and made it a rocket ship in a demo.  That club launched.  A lot.  I didn't want that, but liked everything else, so found the TD-T head on Fairway Golf, a AV White Xlinx 75X here (which I love) and it's an off the turf rocket ship.  Lots of run.  Lots of speed.  I can reliably draw it.  It ain't stopping.  It's too much, now.  (9° launch, 2500, 155-160 speed).

5W, TSi3 18°, 75x 1k Black. It moves.  It moves up.  Can rocket high, can run low.  Super-iron for me. 230-235 par 3 and I need it to stop.  Now.  This.  

4H. TSR2.  Turned down to 20° at the fitting.  Idiot me should've asked about the 3H.  Shrug.  Probably should've hit balls well w/o incurring the, "It's OK, just do your best!" spiel.  Sigh.  Anyway, it's awesome.  Love it too.  1k Black Hybrid 95x is stout (but honestly, not as stout as Accra TZ6 DI 95X.  That one, I need to do the, "OK!  Right shoulder back!  Right butt cheek back! Kill!!"  And it works.  Sometimes.)  It's an iron that goes up, goes out 215-225, and stops.  Yay.  It goes left if I don't make an effort to square the bottom.  Still recommended.

4-iron.  Ping i210.  Power-spec'd, I think.  So 22°?  I need to get these measured...  Was X100TI, now LA Golf L-Series 4s.  Absurdly easy to elevate. (As is its 3-iron 20° brother.  Which I put into an abortive, busted CK Orange Hybrid shaft, and it feels awful.  Live/learn.)  Anyway, pushing 135-140 with it, ~4250 spin, 13-14° launch and ~205-210.  It stops too.

If you have sworn off long irons, do give the i210s a try before you turn your back completely.

Driver - as far as possible.

3W - for when driver is too long off the tee and there’s trouble long, recovery shots for total screw ups off the tee, or the occasional par 5 in 2 when I mishit a drive. I can count on this to carry 265-275 sea level and then roll out from there.

5W - similar to 3W but definitely more of a fairway finder and used more off the deck on long par 5 2nd shot. I can count on this to carry 240-250 sea level and then stay within 15 feet from there.

3i - for when 5W is too spinny or I want to capitalize on a downhill or runout slot. Or if driver/woods are on the fritz and irons are feeling good. I can count on this to carry 235-245 sea level and then roll out from there.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I have struggled with the top of my bag for a long time.

Driver- Hit mostly cuts, I dont really want to hit many draws with it. 

3w 15 degree, mostly used off of the tee, meant to be my dogleg left club.

Here is where I have struggled for a while.

7wood, great into par 5's and for tight par 4's off of the tee. It gets bullied in the wind however.

3 Hybrid, Its good off of the tee, Ok into par 5's, but much better in windy situations. 

Driving iron, Best for windy days, but thats about it. 

I rotate them all season, and never really stick to one. I guess that keeps it fun for me, haha. 

Ping G430 LST 9*  Diamana ZF 60TX

Ping G430 LST 15*  *Testing shafts*

Ping G425 Max 7 wood *Testing shafts* 

Ping G425 Crossover Aldila Black 95TX

Srixon MkII Zx7 4-PW PX 6.5 or  Blueprint "S" 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 50,54,58

Edel Custom, Spider Armlock

Callaway CSXLS

This has been a struggle to fine tune. Would really like another club but don’t want to give up a wedge  My setup is similar to others. 
standard setup:

D- 45.5”- play a fade

Mini Driver - 12* 43.5”- play a draw and 15-20 short of the driver. I use this when I need to hit a draw off the tee or want to be short of a hazard

5 wood- 42.5” 17*- can reach just about any par 5 if I am in the fairway. Also use this off the tee for shorter holes or when I need precision. Absolutely love this club. 
4i utility- 22* standard length -25 yards shorter than 5w

5i- 15 yards short of 4i

course dependent I may substitute for one or more of the  above. 
3 wood if a par five is playing over 570 and does not have a lot of trouble. Still 20 yards short of driver and play a draw but easier to hit off the deck

7 wood - 41.75” 19.5*- I’ll use this instead of 5w if the par 5’s need a specific length. I don’t like this club off the tee and is a one trick pony. 

3i utility- plays about 8 yards longer than 4i to equal out the gaps between 5i and 5w. 

I played a hybrid until this year and was great off the tee but land angle was too shallow into par 5’s. 

TM SLDR 10.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 60X
913 FD 15* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3X
913 HD 20* - D+ 92X
712 U 4 & CB 5-PW C-Taper S+
sM4 50.12, 54.11, 60.10 C-taper S
see More M3 Platinum

This is where I'm settling in now at the top of the bag:

Driver (10.5 degrees)

3W (15; still working on getting more comfortable with it off the deck, but the indications are there)

3H (18)

3UI (21, being assembled soon)

4UI (23)

Edited by RoverTiger

Bag on a budget:

Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 10.5 (purchased used)

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used)

4UI: Turner 239

Irons (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

Coming soon: 3UI: Adams Pro DHy (assembly pending)

My usual top of the bag (On average in in the low 150s ballspeed with the driver - can push up near 160-161 max on a good day if I'm in a groove)

Driver - 9 Degree G430 LST. Only goal is to hit it as far as possible.

Mini Driver - 11.5 Degree BRNR. Goal - hit it almost as far as driver off the tee but easier to trust for accuracy. Can be used to hit it as far as possible off the deck but it isn't a high percentage play

Utility Wood - 17 Degree Apex UW 2021 version. Something that I can use to hit it as far as possible if I don't have a lie to hit mini driver off the deck but is also versatile and gaps reasonably between mini driver and the next club.

Hybrids - TSR2 21 & 24. Perfect long iron replacements that blend well into my 6-GW T350s.

However I have a ton of other options I can rotate depending on the course I am playing. 

I have Stealth DHYs bent to 17 20 and 23 to match the progression of my iron set. Usually just in the bag for very specific course / weather conditions.

I also have Epic Speed 4 and 7 woods. They may replace the UW and 4 hybrid if I need extra height coming into the greens and wind isn't a concern.

I recently bought another TSi2 3 Wood and a 64 degree wedge because the 64 can really be beneficial at my home course. The mini driver and Utility wood can come out to allow for the 3 wood and 64 to go in.

It's not a concern at the home course because I don't have a ton of shots between a 3 wood and 4 hybrid but if I ever want the 64 somewhere else I might I can use the 7 wood instead of the 4 hybrid as im capable of getting more carry out of the 7 wood if I hit a hard draw and I can fill the gap better.

I've basically built every possible option for the top of my bag on any given day.

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

Driver - as accurate as possible 275-280 carry chases to 295-300 low/mid launch window I want to see and don’t want to see it go left

4 wood - I want a 255 carry number. 100% always off the deck even if I hit it off the tee box. Low/mid launch window. If it wants to ever so slightly fall left I’m ok with that. 

7 wood - 235 carry (have this number a lot of par 5’s) This one’s obviously going to launch fairly high but don’t want that balloon ball so mid launch is preferred. Straight ball typically. 

4 hybrid - 215-220 carry. This one’s for long par 3’s or extremely short & tight par 4’s 

This is a new setup for me this year but after a handful of rounds it’s been working well. Also put 5 wedges in play. Bag goes from 4 hybrid to 6 iron and is only a 15 yard gap. 46/50/54/58/62 definitely a funky setup but this has been the best setup in terms of yardage gaps I’ve ever had. 

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

Driver (280) - It's a driver.

3W (255) - Shorter tee club when I am not feeling the driver + Par 5 second if I play it straight + salvage mishit tee shot

2H (235) - Zero thought tee club + workable tee club + second shots + fairway bump and runs + chipping

5W (230) - Long range lawn dart launcher. The 2H can't do this without an extreme amount of shotmaking effort and there is quite a few times I want to have this trajectory.

2I/3I (215-225) - Purer and more precise than the 2H + punch out slicing under trees.

I usually have to give up one of the driver, 5W, or 2I since I can only sacrifice so many wedges, which I do based on course conditions as well as how I am feeling that day.

Re - building the top of my bag now as well and here is what I’m leaning towards 

1.) Driver (9*) - one shot shape with this club - fade. Can get a little squirlly at times for me and only gets used maybe 3-5 times a round. 

2.) 3 wood (15*) - this needs to be my safety tee club. Stock shot is still a fade but can hit a small draw / straight ball when the hole calls for it. Useable off the deck when needed but still mainly a 2nd tee option. Not a big mini driver guy personally as I still prefer the traditional 3 wood footprint. 

3.) TBD (18-21*) This is the spot in my bag up for grabs currently. I have a 2 iron currently that I enjoy hitting, but it’s simply doesn’t check all my boxes. It’s mainly a tee club on tighter holes and that’s pretty much it right now. What this club needs to be is super versatile and mainly an off the deck club. I need to able to shape it both ways, manipulate launch, and chop through the rough. Rarely will this be a tee club. Mainly second shot par 5’s and recovery shots. Going to test a UW and 7 wood and go from there. 

4.) Utility Iron (22*)  recently scooped up Callaway UT as a 4 iron replacement. This club needs to have both tee and off the deck usage. Ideally replacing my 2 iron for that tight tee shot on holes less than 400 (ability to turn one over and chase it out there) but also replacing my set 4 iron by having something a little easier to launch up in the air off the deck so I’m able to hold greens from 215+ out. 100 ish gram graphite shaft as opposed to the steel in my iron set because 130 grams just gets a bit heavy in the 4 iron for me. 

then it’s 5-PW, 50, 54, 58.

Happy Hunting folks!

Being in the fairway off the tee is not overrated.

Driver - Sim 2 Max 10.5 - Ventus Blue  length 45.5 - swing weight D3 - Upright setting - 280 Carry 

My natural shape is a draw, but the driver wants to fade and it’s helped to keep the ball in play. 

3 Wood, Titleist TRS3 15 degree at 15.75 - Tensei 1K Black 75 X - Standard Length D5 swing weight D4 Surefit setting - Weight H2 (in the heel) - 255 Carry

I’ve tried loads of different options, 4 woods, 5 woods turned down. as with driver I tend to need a bit more spin. This works well, it’s not super hot and can be worked either way.

Hybrid - Titleist TSR3 19 degree @ 20 - Standard length D2 Swing Weight - D4 Surefit setting - weight 1 click towards the toe. 232 Carry

Love the versatility, it’s great off the tee on shorter holes and for long approach shots. 

4 Iron - Titleist 620 CB - @ 22 degrees. Dynamic Golf TI X100 - Standard length D2 swing weight - 212 Carry

This is the only club at the top of the bag I am not totally sold on. It doesn’t quite go fly enough.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

39 minutes ago, hackshack said:

3.) TBD (18-21*) This is the spot in my bag up for grabs currently. I have a 2 iron currently that I enjoy hitting, but it’s simply doesn’t check all my boxes. It’s mainly a tee club on tighter holes and that’s pretty much it right now. What this club needs to be is super versatile and mainly an off the deck club. I need to able to shape it both ways, manipulate launch, and chop through the rough. Rarely will this be a tee club. Mainly second shot par 5’s and recovery shots. Going to test a UW and 7 wood and go from there. 

2H and thank me later

My age has me at approx 6000 yards for competitions:  I play a lot of NE Florida = marshes, so I want all my clubs to stop quickly.  I play a lot from 6500 for practice, and normally just hit longer approach shots vice swapping driver to a lower loft/ more roll.

Driver is 12 degrees and I launch it high with spin and with a draw.  I am pretty comfortable that it will land and stop quick, about 250 stock.  Have a 19 degree hybrid, shafted where I can’t turn it over.  If I grip down it is 200 carry and gripped normal is 225. 20 degree iron is next with a 210 carry, and I really only hit it from a tee.  23 degree iron is next with a 200 carry, I use it from the tee or grass.  I have a 10.5 driver that rolls out more, and a 5 wood (drop the 20 or 23 degree iron) that I will add in for courses with limited laterals.  Everything is a high draw except for the 3Hy.

Top end of the bag for me:

Driver: 9.5 degrees - current setup is very long and very accurate, best driver combination I have ever had (G430 10k, Hulk 6 shaft)

Distance: 275-290 (sometimes get a couple around 300 but thats on big swings when I am feeling extra spicy)

3 Wood: 14 degrees - fantastic club, hardly ever use it off the deck as the courses I currently play does not have any opportunities for me to have to swing a fairway wood into the par 5's (and they are short enough where I can go for 2 of them with a 4-6 iron depending on the wind that day)

Distance: 245-260

Utility Iron: 18 degrees - great club for windy days and/or dry fairways, one of my favorite clubs in the bag

Distance: 230-240

4 Iron: 22 degrees - great off tee and deck (i230)

Distance: 215-220

• Like 1