***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Advice to lower launch angle

magix ·  
magixmagix Members  307WRX Points: 63Handicap: 12.6Posts: 307 Greens

I had a Flightscope session today and I believe I can squeeze a little more out of my driver if I make a few changes, but I'm not sure the right way to go about it. I'm not the best driver of the ball to begin with but I get away with it on the courses I play. Any sage advice would be much appreciated! :)

Ideas:

• Lower tee height?
  • Lower loft on driver?
  • Just get lessons?
  • Others thoughts that worked for you...?

Details from Flightscope:

• Swing speed = 111 mph
  • Launch angle = 16*
  • My driver loft is 9* but dynamic loft is 17* (Probably need to get this under control. I do it higher generally because I have a tendency to get low heel strikes.)
  • Spin 2,236 (seems pretty healthy)
  • AoA = +6*
  • Carry = 275 yards (Flightscope optimizer says I could get to 290-300 carry if I lower launch and spin but this would be an optimal swing. I want the best numbers for swings over a period since there's good and bad days.)

Posted:
Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Titleist 917F2 15* EvenFlow 6.0
Titleist 917F2 18* Diamana Blue S
Titleist 818 H1 4H, Titleist 913 5H
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW with PX 6.0
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 56*, 60*
Evnroll ER3 WingBlade

Comments

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  7452WRX Points: 1,520Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 7,452 Titanium Tees

Plugging in 163 ball speed, 16* launch and 2200 spin gives about 275 carry.

You're right about at max carry and rollout with your SS. Any gains from lower spin would be minimal - at the risk of more dispersion ?

And I don't know why you'd want to launch it lower. Only thing that does according to flightscope is lessen your carry. Rollout would possibly increase a bit but for darn near the same total.

290-300 carry ? At 111 SS ? Don't see it.

Posted:
    Post edited by nsxguy on

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mgoblue83mgoblue83 Members  409WRX Points: 207Handicap: 2Posts: 409 Greens

You left out Ball Speed which is about the only relevant number when determining your theoretical max and optimized distances.

Posted:
  • magixmagix Members  307WRX Points: 63Handicap: 12.6Posts: 307 Greens

Definitely fair points on lowering launch angle. I really need to get my smash factor up. Today was a bad day for me strike wise. I was averaging 1.40 with a ball speed of 155 mph. On monitors I usually average around 1.43-1.45 so getting to 163 ball speed will be challenging. Maybe lessons is the right way to go.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
    Evnroll ER3 WingBlade
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  7452WRX Points: 1,520Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 7,452 Titanium Tees

If you've never taken lessons I would heartily recommend them. Depending on your competency you may not need a long series of them. Perhaps an instructor to get you swinging properly/more efficiently wouldn't take all that long.

Given your smash factor, you don't seem to be hitting the sweet spot often enough.

Also, you mention "low heel". Low heel hits might be as simple as a club that's slightly too long.

Have you tried choking down a bit on the grip ? You have power to spare. It's SS hits you're a bit short of.

My driver for the last 18 months or so is the first one I've played at a shorter than <cough> standard <cough> length. Standard for my club is 45.5". I'm playing it at 44.75 and hitting the center of the face more often than I ever have.

Now it may of course be the shorter club or it may simply be this driver shaft combo works extremely well for my swing but choking down a bit costs you nothing and works just as well as if you had cut it down.

May be worth a try,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted:

• mgoblue83mgoblue83 Members  409WRX Points: 207Handicap: 2Posts: 409 Greens

I think it's more likely your swing speed number is inflated (common with many launch monitors) and it's giving you unrealistic expectations. Smash Factor is irrelevant if the swing speed isn't exactly accurate so the number you need to be focusing on is Ball Speed. If you are averaging 155mph of ball speed you shouldn't expect more than 260-270 yds of carry with everything optimized.

Posted:
  • magixmagix Members  307WRX Points: 63Handicap: 12.6Posts: 307 Greens

That would make sense about the inflated swing speed number. In the last 10 years I've had an average carry of 260-270 so I can't imagine getting any faster with my bad back. With this check up I was wondering if that launch window was too high cause that ball flight looked insanely high. Hopefully I can try a shorter driver and see if that improves my impact and efficiency.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
    Evnroll ER3 WingBlade
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers  4272WRX Points: 782Posts: 4,272 Titanium Tees

Take lessons. One big issue is you are hitting +6*. Monte has said many times accuracy, quality of strike, etc are all compromised by have a high aoa with driver - even had an golfwrx article on it a while back showing how dispersion increases dramatically at 5* and up.

Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.