Claw Grip

pbwmca ·  
pbwmcapbwmca Members  4WRX Points: 0Posts: 4
Due to a prolonged period of the yips, I have been trying just about every possible putting grip and have settled on the claw putting grip. So far it seems to be by far the best grip for me for a normal length putter (I have never liked long putters), but I haven't changed my standard putter setup in case it proved to be a false dawn. Has anyone any ideas on the best setup for the claw grip. I currently use a standard 34" odyssey 2-ball.
Posted:

Comments

• funkyfedorafunkyfedora Members  2212WRX Points: 2Posts: 2,212 Platinum Tees
    Are you talking of the full claw with the bottom hand completely inverted? I have gripped it like a pencil. my inex finger on top, middle finger on side of grip to push it and thumb on back. At the moment, I came up with my own version. I have the grip between my index and middle finger with my palm on the side of the grip. My left hand is "normal."
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • pbwmcapbwmca Members  4WRX Points: 0Posts: 4
    It's a "modified" claw with my right hand hold like a long putter (as Langer et al). If I drop a ball from my eyeline at setup it hits the shaft rather than the ball or the putter head, suggesting that I need to bend the putter more upright. Can this be done with a 2-ball or do I need to get another putter or is my setup faulty?
    Posted:
    Try stepping closer. stand up straight and bend at the pockets and not your back...
    Posted:
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  4992WRX Points: 904Posts: 4,992 ClubWRX
    I used the Claw version used by Mark Calcavecchia for a couple of years with decent results on putts less than 40-50 feet. I employ a slightly open stance and did so with the Claw. I also stood a little more upright and close to the ball. I made sure my eyes were over the ball. This stroke demands a little more straight back/straight through method as well.

Being a stubborn player, I went back to the conventional reverse overlap grip and am not putting as good as I have in over a decade. I am not quite so upright and the ball is outside my eyes by one ball. However, if my putting suffers I would not hesitate going back to the Claw.
    Posted:
    EAMUS CATULI! AC020303
    There is something like that in GD this month. I will find it after I get back from the store.
    Posted:
    If you have feb. GD then on page 92 is where you need to look.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • golfnut5438golfnut5438 Blind Squirrel ClubWRX  1484WRX Points: 69Posts: 1,484 ClubWRX
    The Claw (or my Mark O'Meara version, the Saw) probably saved me from killing myself about 4 years ago. I practiced a couple of years with DiMarco's version and just couldn't get it, but now people are asking me how to do it. Not that I putt like a wizard, but they know how bad I used to be and I cut my handicap by 5 strokes in 6 months after using the Saw. I actually stand the same with or without the claw, use a standard left hand grip and slightly bow my right elbow out to produce a more piston like motion. Of well, works for me. Good luck. I too tried the long, the short, and the in between before finding this life saver. image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yahoo:' />
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Lefty CatLefty Cat Team Bonecrusher Lefty Boomers  1560WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,560
    I putted with the modified version of the claw where the index is on top of the grip and middle finger is on the side for awhile but found that I struggled hitting short putts through the break. I now putt with my own version which really isnt a claw at all but my left hand[being LH] is entirely on the underside of the grip and my thumb is on the side of the grip pointing away from the hole. Try to imagine that...Just a little forward press and your ready to roll...
    Posted:
  • mac94mac94 Banned  6321WRX Points: 1Posts: 6,321 BST Banned
    Hope it works for you, but I honestly have no idea how people use either the claw or the saw, even modified. I couldn't make a 2 footer with either of those grips.
    Posted:
    When you have yips in just one hand it ruins your stroke. So the claw or saw quiets that hand and helps. Be lucky the yips haven't ailed you...
    Posted:
  • pbwmcapbwmca Members  4WRX Points: 0Posts: 4
    Thanks for all the tips!

With any regular grip I can feel my whole right shoulder moving out towards the ball through impact and the impact of the ball is all over the putter face. As you can imagine any holed putt is just down to dumb luck. With the claw my right side is quiet and the contact is very pure. I am having problems lining up my putts (hence my original query and it's probably because I haven't hit a proper putt in years) but the purity of impact makes me want to stick with it.

Any further tips are gratefully recieved.

ps I envy anyone who has never suffered this affliction.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • walts00walts00 Members  1068WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,068
    Like someone else mentioned...using your lower hand to grip it like a pencil works pretty well and is comfortable. the claw is a good way to go as it just makes it a lot easier to hit a putt straight...and there is no way you can yip it.
    Posted:
  • Lefty CatLefty Cat Team Bonecrusher Lefty Boomers  1560WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,560
    Trust me, you can yip with any grip. I've missed more 2 footers in my life than I care to remember. I am cured and confident though now. Thank God!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.