How do I get rid of a sight dot?

kaotic5150 ·  
kaotic5150kaotic5150 Members  23WRX Points: 0Posts: 23
I have a SC newport and I had a sight dot milled on top and I hate it. I called SC to see what it would cost to get filled in and they said roughly $200 which I think is a rip off. Does anyone know of someone that could do it? Has anyone ever filled one themselves? I'd rather just have a sight line on the flange and thats it.

Thanks
Posted:

Comments

• ace036ace036 Members  2067WRX Points: 141Handicap: +1.5Posts: 2,067 Platinum Tees
    $200! That is freaking nuts. Try Slighter Golf, I hear that they do good work.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5° - Fujikura Speeder Evolution V 757x
    Titleist TS3 16.5° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7x
    Srixon Z U85 20° - KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 85 s+
    Titleist 718 AP2 (4-PW) - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 54.08M (55°) - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 60.12D - Project X 6.0
    Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers  8606WRX Points: 190Posts: 8,606 Titanium Tees
    kaotic5150 wrote on Jan 26 2009, 04:30 PM:
    I have a SC newport and I had a sight dot milled on top and I hate it. I called SC to see what it would cost to get filled in and they said roughly $200 which I think is a rip off. Does anyone know of someone that could do it? Has anyone ever filled one themselves? I'd rather just have a sight line on the flange and thats it.

Thanks

Is this a pro platinum or gun blue? I know it's not a end all fix, but couldn't you just remove the paintfill from the sight dot?

Of course, you could always send it to LaMont. He'll do a great job. I would opt for a full refinish and let him work his magic.
    Posted:
  • Lngnokr71Lngnokr71 Hmmm what to get next? Members  965WRX Points: 0Posts: 965
    ace036 wrote on Jan 26 2009, 08:44 PM:
    $200! That is freaking nuts. Try Slighter Golf, I hear that they do good work.

Tom's not going to save you a whole lot $$ either, I second Lamont....
    Posted:
  • herd8497herd8497 Members  386WRX Points: 0Posts: 386
    I'm sure most of the "refurb" guys are busy, but in addition to Lamont and Slighter, you may consider Kevin Colbert at puttertplating.com and George Palombi (username geogolf on this forum).
    Posted:
  • mattl2787mattl2787 Members  1245WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,245
    Like JonPeterson said, I would remove the paintfill: you won't even know the sight dot is there. Or you could painfill it black or silver (to match whatever finish you have): fill the sight dot to the top and let it dry; this will smooth out the indentation...Caulk would fill the sight dot even better, and then paint that. I really don't know, I'm just ramblin'
    Posted:
  • PaulNPaulN Members  164WRX Points: 0Posts: 164
    How handy are you? If you have the guts, remove the paint dot with acetone. Once clean you can fill, or slightly overfill, the hole with a fast setting epoxy. Once that is cured you can work the area down even with the top line with a sanding block and a piece of 400 grit paper (or use a lower number if you are feeling brave). Mask off the top line when you are done and hit it with a rattle can finish. The dot will be gone. Total cost is about $20, if you buy a good can of paint. Take your time and no one, including yourself, will know the difference.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.