2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist Velocity or Srixon Q star

smitty72

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought a sleeve of Velocity today, have not played them yet though. Have played the Q star. Did not like it. Normal ball is NXT Tour and the Q star was shorter off the tee and spun less on approaches. They were not shorter with irons but they just didn't hold the greens at all. Normal PW distance is 125, I was 119 to the flag into a slight breeze. Hit the PW and it landed three feet right of the cup, bounced hard, and rolled out to 20 feet. This happened again later with a 9 iron that hit the green and rolled off the back. Had a good feel with the putter and seemed like a fairly straight ball but that's about it.

I also bought a dozen Hex Chrome which I've yet to try and it sounds like it will be as long as the NXT but have much more spin around the green. That's really what I'm looking for. Still wanted to try the Velocity though to see how long it is. Every little bit helps.

I've played the Titleist Velocity now for two weeks and I have found that it is very long, straight, nice soft feeling of the irons and putter although not as soft as ProV1, spin is ok just don't expect ths same spin as the ProV1 or same balls like that. But over all I like the ball.. I haven't played the Q Star but that was my second choice but I decided to go with the Velocity

[quote name='glfpunk' timestamp='1337443124' post='4942242']
Used the Velocity yesterday. Between it and the Qstar, Velocity is longer and spin is about equal between these two balls. Played the Hex Chrome as well and that's just as long and has much more spin. Found my new ball.
[/quote]

My impression is that the Hex Chrome is your new ball. This costs more than the Velocity or Q Star. Which did you like between those balls?

[quote name='keb' timestamp='1337557202' post='4947632']
[quote name='glfpunk' timestamp='1337443124' post='4942242']
Used the Velocity yesterday. Between it and the Qstar, Velocity is longer and spin is about equal between these two balls. Played the Hex Chrome as well and that's just as long and has much more spin. Found my new ball.
[/quote]

My impression is that the Hex Chrome is your new ball. This costs more than the Velocity or Q Star. Which did you like between those balls?
[/quote]

I don't like either of those balls. They're both pretty crappy in my opinion. The Velocity is billed as their longest ball but in reality it's no longer than the NXT Tour and it spins much worse. The Qstar is supposed to be fairly long and still have good spin. It doesn't spin at all. Not for me anyway. I wouldnt limit my choices to those two balls because there are better options out there. E6 is not known as a spin ball and it blows those two away in that category and is just as long and feels better. If I had to pick between those two I'd pick the Qstar because it feels better on the putter to me.

I've played the q-star since it was released and have loved it - i agree that it doesn't have the stopping power of a 3 piece or 4 piece ball, but it's not designed to stop on a dime - it's designed to be a straighter flying, softer ball in a cheaper price range.

For me - i couldn't spin a Pro-V1 with the biggest grooved wedge ever made - so, i don't expect the q-star to stop on a dime, but my rolls with the ball aren't as bad as the ones mentioned. The worse roll out i have had with the q-star was 6 feet. I'll take that any day for $25/dozen!

I also recommend the q-star tour yellow. Played those this past weekend in a scramble - won the long drive hole and our 4some won the tourney. Jacobsen's right - you do play better what you see better :good:

[quote name='Fromthetrees' timestamp='1337628624' post='4952336']
I've played the q-star since it was released and have loved it - i agree that it doesn't have the stopping power of a 3 piece or 4 piece ball, but it's not designed to stop on a dime - it's designed to be a straighter flying, softer ball in a cheaper price range.

For me - i couldn't spin a Pro-V1 with the biggest grooved wedge ever made - so, i don't expect the q-star to stop on a dime, but my rolls with the ball aren't as band as the ones mentioned. The worse roll out i have had with the q-star was 6 feet. I'll take that any day for $25/dozen!

I also recommend the q-star tour yellow. Played those this past weekend in a scramble - won the long drive hole and our 4some won the tourney. Jacobsen's right - you do play better what you see better :good:
[/quote]

So you saying yellow makes you drive further?

[quote name='Longdriver295' timestamp='1337630226' post='4952476']
[quote name='Fromthetrees' timestamp='1337628624' post='4952336']

For me - i couldn't spin a Pro-V1 with the biggest grooved wedge ever made - so, i don't expect the q-star to stop on a dime, but my rolls with the ball aren't as band as the ones mentioned. The worse roll out i have had with the q-star was 6 feet. I'll take that any day for $25/dozen!

[/quote]

So you saying yellow makes you drive further?
[/quote]

As corny as that sounds...yes - the yellow gave me something sharper to focus on as i made my turn, and i do feel like i was making a wider turn than normal because of that fact. I was playing my old r5 driver versus guys gaming a lot newer equipment. again, it's mental but that's what 90% of golf is right?!

[quote name='smitty72' timestamp='1337292899' post='4933938']
Currently play Srixon Soft feel but wanna try something else so was wondering if anyone tried both of these balls which did you prefer and why
[/quote]

i've heard good things about the Q Star. A buddy gave up urethane balls for these. I'd guess these are similar to TF Gamer V2's

• 1 year later...

I tried the Q Star because of the many good reviews from various sites. I normally play the Top Flite Gamer, but wanted to give Srixon a shot. I guess it's the Top Flite stigma or whatever. LOL Here is what I experienced with the Q Star. I had no fewer than three or four 75-100 yard or so shots to the green that I hit very well, high flyers that landed mid green.The shots were so nice that I simply looked away when they hit the green, gathered my bag and walked to the hole.

When I got to the green, I couldn't find my ball... Every time it had rolled off the back of the green, or took a big bounce and went off the side. The guys I was playing with who actually watched the ball, and had to tell me what happened and where it was. Very strange, since playing the Top Flite Gamer, the same shot, would stick within 3 or 4 feet. The Q Star chipped ok, but so does the Gamer.

I love the Q Star's straight flight off the tee, it putts very well, but it just doesn't hold the greens for me. I actually drive the Gamer farther by a few yards, so back to the Gamer I go.

I'm sure the Srixon is a great ball for many players, but for me, the Top Flite Gamer wins the war of the green and the pocket book. I like the Q Star, and I'll finish the box I have, but I prefer the Gamer over everything I've tried in the low to mid price range.

[quote name='job57' timestamp='1389388160' post='8437291']
I tried the Q Star because of the many good reviews from various sites. I normally play the Top Flite Gamer, but wanted to give Srixon a shot. I guess it's the Top Flite stigma or whatever. LOL Here is what I experienced with the Q Star. I had no fewer than three or four 75-100 yard or so shots to the green that I hit very well, high flyers that landed mid green.The shots were so nice that I simply looked away when they hit the green, gathered my bag and walked to the hole.

When I got to the green, I couldn't find my ball... Every time it had rolled off the back of the green, or took a big bounce and went off the side. The guys I was playing with who actually watched the ball, and had to tell me what happened and where it was. Very strange, since playing the Top Flite Gamer, the same shot, would stick within 3 or 4 feet. The Q Star chipped ok, but so does the Gamer.

I love the Q Star's straight flight off the tee, it putts very well, but it just doesn't hold the greens for me. I actually drive the Gamer farther by a few yards, so back to the Gamer I go.

I'm sure the Srixon is a great ball for many players, but for me, the Top Flite Gamer wins the war of the green and the pocket book. I like the Q Star, and I'll finish the box I have, but I prefer the Gamer over everything I've tried in the low to mid price range.
[/quote] which version did you use? The new 13' spin skin version or previous ones?

I've tried the QStar with spin skin and thought it was a pretty good ball. Not great around the greens but good every where else. I played a while back with a guy in his mid 60's, 8 hc that played the Velocity. He bombed that ball off the tee but played for a lot of run out on the greens.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

[quote name='pompjr' timestamp='1389442247' post='8440481']

[/quote] which version did you use? The new 13' spin skin version or previous ones?
[/quote]

[color=#282828]I was playing the new '13 with Spin Skin. Perhaps it's just me... how I hit the ball... don't know. A lot of guys love the ball. I like the way it hits straight off the tee, it putts great, but those shots simply baffled me. I never expected to see the ball not hold the green. I guess the Top Flite Gamer simply works for my swing... IDK... But to hit the green and have the ball bounce and roll off like that didn't sell me on the Q Star. Perhaps it's the three piece vs two piece design, not sure, but I never had a Gamer do that. [/color]

[color=#282828]So... I bought up two dozen Gamers at Dicks this weekend. @ $25.00 they were hard to pass up, even though I still have a box of the Gamer V2, and a box n 1/2 new Dick's Gamer yellow. I haven't been able to tell the difference between the new Dick's Gamer and the older Gamer V2. [/color]

[quote name='job57' timestamp='1389639256' post='8453033']
[quote name='pompjr' timestamp='1389442247' post='8440481']

[/quote]

[color=#282828]I was playing the new '13 with Spin Skin. Perhaps it's just me... how I hit the ball... don't know. A lot of guys love the ball. I like the way it hits straight off the tee, it putts great, but those shots simply baffled me. I never expected to see the ball not hold the green. I guess the Top Flite Gamer simply works for my swing... IDK... But to hit the green and have the ball bounce and roll off like that didn't sell me on the Q Star. Perhaps it's the three piece vs two piece design, not sure, but I never had a Gamer do that. [/color]

[color=#282828]So... I bought up two dozen Gamers at Dicks this weekend. @ $25.00 they were hard to pass up, even though I still have a box of the Gamer V2, and a box n 1/2 new Dick's Gamer yellow. I haven't been able to tell the difference between the new Dick's Gamer and the older Gamer V2. [/color]
[/quote]

I never tried the Gamer but after hearing so much about it over the years I was surprised to see that in Golf Digest's 2013 ball test that out of the 38 balls tested the Gamer was dead last in half-wedge spin. The Q Star was 36th

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Anyone try the titleist dt solos? My daughter plays HS golf and she wanted something with a little more spin around the greens than her Q star. I bought her the next tours and she couldn't stand how much they spin. So we tried the velocity and then the dt solos. She seems to like them, they're soft, accurate, mid spin and CHEAP!