Best time to play a Tour setup Course

rok78

Before or After
In your opinion, when is it the best time to play a course that is going to hold a Tour event (PGA, LPGA, Champions, whatever). Assuming of course you couldn't play the Monday following the final round. Would you rather play the week before or after?

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well the monday after is the best... problems is, most private CC are closed on mondays. AND THE ones who hold events are usually closed over 2-3 weeks prior and for a while after to "repair" the course. The let rough go long, and cut fairways short and the greens get all beat up b/c they are so short and fast. So it takes a while to recover.

At Firestone South, the course starts to get ready 2+ months before, the grandstands go up (platforms) and everything. Then the course limits south play a month prior then shuts it down completely. I theink a lot of clubs do this

Now Stonewater, Nationwide stop in Cleveland, is shut down a week before, the range is shut down over a month before (bullxxxx) but the course was open the monday after.... with the same pins, and it was very hard! I shoot in the mid 70's there and it was very hard after. The avg score was 72 something... pins were very hard to get to, greens were over 12, and the course was wet!

Sad thing is I can't play the Monday after, so do you think the Saturday before the tournament is better than the Saturday after?

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

Never done that. Closest I came was actually getting to play a practice round with a Nationwide Tour player and his swing coach the day before a play in tournament at a local semi-private course. Playin was for a tourny elsewhere in Virginia.

Also got to play last year at River Course in Kingsmill about a month after the Michelob Open. It was so hard especially the greens I have no clue how difficult it was setup for the ladies during the tourny. The course I normally play has the greens usually around 11.5 - 12. The River course greens were a lot faster when I played. I swear they had to be 14.

That said try to play in the practice round on wednesday if you can afford the fee or for a nationwide tourney if a member or friends with starter see if they'll let you pair up.

Sad thing is I can't play the Monday after, so do you think the Saturday before the tournament is better than the Saturday after?

I would check to make sure they will allow play the Saturday before. Many stops will not because of prep time to get ready. It really depends on the course. Some courses will leave the setup relatively unchanged to allow members to see what it is like. One exception is usually the greens. The will start repairing them pretty quickly so they don't burn. Good luck.

I have played TPC-Sawgrass on a couple of occasions just prior to the Players. My vote is after the tournament. The rough around the greens was unbelievable. The guys at the course said they would cut the rough down for the pros, but grew it high so they could get an even, consistent cut. It seemed like it was 12" high, lol. Heck, we were finding balls a few feet off the green, only because we stepped on them.

I have played Pebble and Spyglass the day before the ATT practice rounds. That's the best time to play. Pin positions don't matter, the courses are already hard enough, the greens already so difficult you can put the pin in the center of ever green and you still won't score any better. The courses are in optimum condition and they have not been trampled on by all the fans. Because of the time of year there are is not as much play either. Tee boxes and fairways are pristine. It's great fun.

I played Harding right after the AMEX and it was probably harder than the pros played it with the rough completely out of control and the greens lightning fast. A ton of people wanted to play the same course so it was crowded and the round very slow.

The best time to play a tournament course is, sunday evening immediately after the last group finishes on 18!

This was one of the cooler events I ever played in. We used to have a Nike stop at the course I grew up on (Dakota Dunes C.C.) and there was a member who's house was the social hot spot during the week of the tournament. He always had a few pro's staying with him, and would recruit other pro's to participate in a 1 club tournament, starting immediately after the final putt of the tournament was held. About 40 members would show up on the 1st tee, would split up into groups, (group size depending on how many pro's played) and would play the front nine with one club each. All the pins were pulled, but we knew where they were after watching the tournament. There was a lot of alcohol invlolved, and it took until dark to play nine holes (4 hours or so). It was a real riot, so my vote is to play a tournament course the day of the tournament!

My home course in college was Philmont CC in Philadelphia and there used to be a Nike Tour stop there. We would always blow off classes the Monday after the tournament and play the course. At that time there was not a ton of active member play so getting out was not a problem. Course played at least 5 shots harder with the tournament set up.

Colonial in Fort Worth allows play all the way up until the Sunday before the tournament. In the past, the course was open the Monday after but that has changed in recent years. Now the course is closed until the following weekend to allow for recovery, particularly the greens.

I would say the course plays 3-5 strokes tougher in June than it does during the tournament in May. The PGA mandates the rough be cut which takes a great deal of the bite out of this relatively short course.

The rough is cut to about 3 inches during tournament play. In June, after typically heavy rains, the bermuda grows up very thick and can get up to 7 inches deep. Hitting one out of the fairway becomes a very stiff penalty.

The PGA likes low scores. With a USGA type set-up, I don't scoring would be much below par.

I've played Warwick Hills a couple days after the Buick Open and it was great. Granted this course isn't the most difficult course in the world, but you get to truly appreciate the scores these guys shoot when you play the course. The rough was around 6 in. high and the greens were even faster than they were than the last time i played it in the summer. The only "problem" with playing a course afterwards is the trampled grass areas from the spectators and walkways across the fairways. But other than that, it's fantastic.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Also got to play last year at River Course in Kingsmill about a month after the Michelob Open. It was so hard especially the greens I have no clue how difficult it was setup for the ladies during the tourny. The course I normally play has the greens usually around 11.5 - 12. The River course greens were a lot faster when I played. I swear they had to be 14.

I make it a point to play the River Course 1-2 weeks prior to the ladies every year. The rough isn't THAT long (they keep it shorter for the ladies than guys) and the greens and tee boxes are always in perfect shape. The greens are always fast, but I'm not sure they're 14. :-)