2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

ProjectX PXv Tour 52 An Official GolfWRX True Temper Test Group Review

RookieBlue7

Introduction

From http://www.royalprecision.com

“The all-new Project X PXv Tour 52 is the next generation in the storied Project X franchise. By incorporating the most advanced materials available in the industry today, Project X engineers have designed a shaft that produces maximum ball speed, while preserving critical stability and control through the hitting zone. PXv Tour 52 delivers a low-mid launch angle with low spin, preferred by today's top professionals and low handicap amateurs.

The PXv Tour shaft incorporates the PXv technology into a heavier weight shaft. It is the perfect complimenting fairway wood design to the PXv Tour 52 and also a great option For players seeking a slightly heavier driver shaft.”

PXv.jpg

Being as I'd always used my gamer as a guinea pig (why not use the driver you hit all the time to do testing), this comparison testing would be done using the same ideals as I always use. It's pointless, IMO, to change any variable except the shaft when doing testing on a shaft and a shaft only. Why? Tolerances in heads being what they are, you don't get a true feel for the shaft if there are any variables outside of the shaft(again, my opinion). I also blow the grip off my gamer when doing shaft testing so I know that it's an identical grip. So going into this, I knew that to test this properly, I'd be using my gamer, so that impressions are fair and unbiased. This shaft arrived around 3 months ago in prototype trim, and I've been testing since then.

DSC_0239-2.jpg

DSC_0240-1.jpg

Feel, Build Notes, Miscellaneous

That driver head? A Tour Issued TaylorMade Superfast 2.0 version 2 LCG with a marked loft of 8.5 degrees. After having it digitally lofted, I can say that the actual loft on this head is 8.9 degrees and the face angle is 2.1 degrees open. The head had also been hotmelted to 203 grams prior to my receiving it(I didn't weigh it, but it's heavier than the v2 I had before). I did use a heatgun to move the hotmelt low and deep in the head (and I got too close to the paint once and ended up scorching part of the red line on the underside, lol).

Now, with the part about the head out of the way, I must state I got this shaft in prototype paint. The paint version I got, there were 6 prototypes that True Temper did (across all of their brands) that have this particular prototype paint scheme. Doesn't mean it's a different shaft, just the test group got their own prototype paint scheme. It was cool to me, so I thought it worth mentioning.

On to the build. I initially did testing in prototype trim. There was a reason behind this, True Temper didn't want any of us to know what shaft we were getting, they wanted raw impressions of the shaft and it's performance. They also sent us build instructions, which mine said for a straight in install with no additional tipping and then cut to length. There were 2 of the 6 of us that got instructions for tipping for the shaft that was sent. Mine, however, was a straight in install.

DSC_0237-1.jpg

So I prepped the (at the time) unknown shaft and then spined and FLO'd it. It came out graphics down, so that's the way it was installed (spine on the bottom to mitigate shaft droop, NBP at 3:00). Once the epoxy set, it was then chopped off at 44.5” and the Lamkin PerformancePlus 3gen was slapped on. The completed club came out to D3.5 and turned out that I had to do NOTHING to get it within the swingweight range I prefer (D3-D4). I like being able to feel where the head is at all throughout the swing. This one delivered that spot on for me.

The only note I'd like to add here is that I did my customary waggle test. The shaft had a distinct slight whippiness to it. Not noodle whippy, but also not firm like lots of shafts I've been playing have been as well. I had some initial reservations with this being the case, as I have always liked the snappy feeling instead of whippy. This one was somewhere between there. But, as has been the case with all of my shaft testing I've done, I've trusted those that have advised me on shafts and builds to be spot on with their build instructions. This one was no different, as the waggle test is only a feel test and not a performance test anyway.

Performance(Feel, Flight, Visual)

Visually, this shaft was in prototype trim when I initially received it, and matte black with a prototype logo really isn't anything too speak of. Now ,however, since I have the retail graphics version in my possession, I can say that I love the visual of this shaft. It's white with a minimalistic pearl in it and the graphics aren't overwhelming. They keep the traditional ProjectX tribal and accented that with the bright ProjectX logo. Not completely simple, but simple enough to be elegant and non-distracting.

DSC_0236-3.jpg

Now, on to the range session. The first few swings were without a ball there at all, just trying to get a feel for where in the swing the shaft unloaded and loaded at. It loaded smoothly at the top, and unloaded with just a hint of a kick at impact. I wasn't really going after it, as I was just trying to get a feel for the shaft. I had a feeling of where it was unloading and it was time for ball to meet face.

I began by hitting a few balls with a 75% swing, again, trying to get a feel for the shaft. Then, once I had a good idea at where it loaded and unloaded with the ball in the way, it was time to take normal swings with it (85%, I don't go all out unless I need a forced carry or a wide, open landing area as I tend to get a little sloppy). The shaft was performing well. Shots were staying relatively straight, and the launch angle was about where I like it, visually. The ball seemed to react well upon landing as well. The only thing was when I went after it a little, it tended to get a little sloppy in the tip section. I now know why, because it was a 6.0 and I really like a 6.5 flex. Upon receiving the retail graphics version, I've decided, after talking with our contact at True Temper, that I will be tipping it 1/2” to tighten that up just a bit. I believe this will also straighten out the ones that I tended to overcook when drawing or fading the ball as well. That said, I was still very pleased with the balance and smooth feeling of the shaft throughout the swing and the distinct snap at impact I was getting as it unloaded.

Data

Swing Speed: 114.1 mph

Spin(RPM): 2875

Launch Angle:14.1

Ball Speed: 167.2

Smash Factor: 1.47

Distance (Carry): 281.8 yards

The above numbers were pulled using a Vector Pro launch monitor. The Trackman I had access to, everyone I know that was a member at that country club has since dropped their membership (this particular club is losing members like crazy because of a few issues, and I knew around 15 members that have since dropped their membership). Regardless, the above numbers represent around where my averages have been for quite a while now, as it's relatively similar to my numbers I've been pulling. The launch angle and spin rates, IMO, could likely be attributed to the tip being just a little sloppy. I believe these will improve once I tip the next version of this shaft to tighten that up.

DSC_0237-1.jpg

Analysis

I've now played around 18-20 rounds with this shaft (sorry, didn't keep an exact count). I can say that I've been impressed with this shaft. It's rare that you find a lighter weight shaft, IMO, that keeps up with higher swing speeds (not saying mine is awful high, but it's above average SS). I've always kind of struggled with lighter weight shafts, as they tend to want to get overly whippy to me in terms of feel. This shaft, while feeling whippy when waggling it, is smooth and doesn't feel whippy at all during the swing. I believe when the proper flex is achieved, this sucker will tighten up a lot throughout the swing. Regardless, it loads and unloads distinctly, and the results are great, IMO, for me when hitting balls. I've lost maybe 3 balls during rounds and nothing would've saved those. My last 3 rounds, I've found the fairway 10 times on average in those rounds. I've gotten more and more used to this shaft, but I want to see what happens when I switch it out for the retail graphics model with 1/2” tipping. I believe it'll improve distance just a touch, and more distance is always fun right?

Final Thoughts

One version or another (retail or prototype graphics) of this shaft will likely be staying in the gamer for the forseeable future. I'm pleased with how it reacts, and if I'm being honest, I hope the retail graphics model is the one that sticks, as I think it's gonna look beautiful with the white head, white shaft and I'll end up slapping a white Lamkin on it most likely (paint and performance both matter to me, lol).

DSC_0238-1.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice and comprehensive review.

I had mine arrive the week before last, but due to the snow here in the UK, I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet.

For info, I have had mine tipped 1/2 inch and it doesn't feel sloppy at all, nice 'snap' at impact, and very stable, but with enough feel under the grip not to feel harsh or boardy. But that was from just swinging it in my back garden in the snow, so hardly a fair test until my local golf range reopens again for business, and I can actually get ball on clubface.

More to come.

[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1359062599' post='6291283']
Very nice review. I am curious if you have used any Project X shafts in the past and if so, how you would compare it to the older versions.
[/quote]

The feel on this one is different than any of their others I've tried (PX Black, review is on here, and 6A4). This one is the smoothest feeling PX I've tried. I really like the shaft.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1359065681' post='6291613']
Very nice review. I am curious if you have used any Project X shafts in the past and if so, how you would compare it to the older versions.
[/quote]

The feel on this one is different than any of their others I've tried (PX Black, review is on here, and 6A4). This one is the smoothest feeling PX I've tried. I really like the shaft.
[/quote]

Great, thanks, sounds really good. Notice any variations in spin or launch angle, or any ballflight differences from the prevoius ones ?

[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1359067034' post='6291777']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Great, thanks, sounds really good. Notice any variations in spin or launch angle, or any ballflight differences from the prevoius ones ?
[/quote][quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1359067034' post='6291777']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Spins less than the PX Black for me. LA was a tad high on this one because of the tip being just a hair loose for me. I plan to see what happens when tipping the retail graphics one.

Nice review. Is the 6.0 tipped what TT agreed was good for your swing or would a 6.5 have been better? I have previously had a good experience with the 7A3, which is a 7.0, and was going to try the PXv in 6.5. Thanks.

Edit - I used their fitting tool and it said PXv 6.5 too, not that it's the only thing to go by. [url="http://www.shaftfit.com/front/frFindFit.php"]http://www.shaftfit....t/frFindFit.php[/url]

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Project X PVx Red vs Blue?

$_35.JPGproject_x_pxv_tour_52_wood_shaft.jpg

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter