Question for iGolf-ers

Any renewed subscriptions?
For those of you out there who own an iGolf (caddie or Neo), have any of you owned one long enough to renew the subscription--and if so, did you renew or not?

The reason I'm asking is that the prevailing wisdom--and the way everyone seems to be analyzing price comparisons with other units--is to get the subscription for a year and then can it.  This sounds great, but only if you know all of the courses you are going to play for the next few years.  If you are ever on travel and get to play a new course, your igolf unit is now useless--unless you decide to pay another annual fee.

So it seems that the choice is to keep paying the fee or else be satisfied with a unit that you won't always be able to use.

What does this mean?  To be honest, I'm not really sure--but for some people it might be unrealistic to assume that you will only need/want the subscription service for one year--which means that it wouldn't be completely accurate to compare iGolf prices to other units with no annual fee (e.g. Sonocaddie, Golf Guru) without including more than just a one-year-subscription in the calculation.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm coming up on my renewal very soon-I've still a number of download credits so what I may do is download all of the courses that I plan (or hope to play). If I find myself in need of a particular course at a later date and I'm still using the iGolf (which very likely will be obselete and replaced within the next year or two) I can see two options-renew or post a request on this board (and maybe others) and see if somebody else has downloaded the course that I need.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if sharing of downloaded maps from the iGolf website violate their EULA (End User License Agreement)?

I assume that there is nothing wrong with sharing personally mapped course maps, but I'd bet that a large part of iGolf's profits come from subscription fees--and as such, I would guess that they would hold on tight to the rights to the downloaded course maps.

I'm coming up on my renewal very soon-I've still a number of download credits so what I may do is download all of the courses that I plan (or hope to play). If I find myself in need of a particular course at a later date and I'm still using the iGolf (which very likely will be obselete and replaced within the next year or two) I can see two options-renew or post a request on this board (and maybe others) and see if somebody else has downloaded the course that I need.

What do you see as being obsolete? Is it because it currently doesn't offer features which are currently available in other units or is there a quantum leap forward in technology that you foresee?

Seeing units like the Upro I suspect that a very basic unit like the GPSCaddie II will be obsoleted by more fully featured units and being a typical engineer I can't resist upgrading to a new gadget!

Regarding the EULA-I would have to re-read it before I'd try to share a downloaded course. I have already shared my own mapped courses which, as you note, shouldn't be a problem.

Seeing units like the Upro I suspect that a very basic unit like the GPSCaddie II will be obsoleted by more fully featured units and being a typical engineer I can't resist upgrading to a new gadget!

Regardless of what super gadgets come out, I think that there will always be a market for a small, basic unit that does what the Neo does (i.e. distance to F/C/B and hazards/targets, shot distance).  It is smaller and costs much less than the uPro--and that should hold true for a long, long time.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if sharing of downloaded maps from the iGolf website violate their EULA (End User License Agreement)?

I assume that there is nothing wrong with sharing personally mapped course maps, but I'd bet that a large part of iGolf's profits come from subscription fees--and as such, I would guess that they would hold on tight to the rights to the downloaded course maps.

I can't find the link but someone posted on another forum a quote from iGolf that basically stated that sharing files was illegal and subject to prosecution. I don't know how enforceable this is but for $35 I don't want to be the first one. Plus if necessary, I will renew the $35 if for no other reason to support the company for a product I really like.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think this is bad business on Igolf's part. there are still a lot of courses not mapped. If someone has mapped it themselves, then the can't put it on another person's Igolf. This is not the way it was described when i asked questions when i bought my Igolf.

Keep in mind, that you can map it yourself as you play. If you plan on repeating it. In fact, I read somewhere that if you email or send your map of an "unmapped" course, iGolf will "reimburse" you with download credits.

Re. using the files. I have a trip coming up, and I emailed the other golfers about the Neo, and I think several are considering buying it to demo.. so I offered to email them the file

for the 1 course we're all playing together. I think this is helping iGolf.. in that likely at least a few or those guys will end up keeping the Neo, especially at that price point. My concern

now is, how would they enforce it? Is it somehow linked to the serial numbers of the devices? Now I'm paranoid..