Joining a club.

At the beginning of next year I'll be joining a club. It's not a huge club but because I am limited to public transport I don't really have a choice.

I will be playing most of my golf here and intend to play some other courses also.

The club and course are separate so you have to buy playing rights separate from membership. Not uncommon in the Netherlands.

The options they have are: 25,50,75 or unlimited rounds of 18 holes(can play 9 and will be counted as half) Currently I play very little as I'm coming back from injury and I have a full time job that limits regular play on weekdays.

I intend to play all the monthly medals (10 in total and a few other comps) my handicap is too high to play league so that's not a concern.

My theory is that I would be playing once a week but would miss at least 5 maybe more weeks due to playing elsewhere or being on holiday or having other commitments.

In that case would 50 be enough or am I underestimating how often I would be playing.

Comments

• EmthreeEmthree M3+3 now Members Posts: 858 ✭✭
    Since you're from NL, the question is will you be playing in the winter or in the rain?

50 is more than enough even if you wanted to play all year round. 25 might even be enough to cover everything you want if you are a fair weather golfer. I'd say it depends how much discount you'd get between 50 and 25, since you can always add on rounds if you run out.
    910D3 8.5* PX 8A4 7.0
    910F 17* PX 8A4 7.0
    AP2 (714) 3-PW PX 7.0
    Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* PX 5.5
    SC Newport2 Pro Platinum
  • TimBenTimBen Members Posts: 82
    Emthree wrote:

Since you're from NL, the question is will you be playing in the winter or in the rain?

50 is more than enough even if you wanted to play all year round. 25 might even be enough to cover everything you want if you are a fair weather golfer. I'd say it depends how much discount you'd get between 50 and 25, since you can always add on rounds if you run out.

Thanks!

No issues playing in the rain. Would play unless the course isn't qualifying/normally playable i guess. A quick scroll through the twitter feed shows a fair few weekends that happens from november to Febuary. The course is 7 meters below sea level and is reclaimed land. Only issue with that is water doesn't always get away quickly enough.

So you're probably right and I'll save the unlimited rounds for when i retire :-)
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Go with 50. If you're not playing a lot and plan on playing some other courses it should be good. Spend some time at the range to lower that cap!!
  • wrigleywrigley Members Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    The number for me was 55-60 rounds, anything less and it was no worth joining. The course is open for about 6.5 months, so that works out to be about ten rounds a month. There are other benefits of being a member that is not quantifiable, for me it was basically in the numbers. I have other opportunities to play outside, and while I have friends that are members, I have an equal number that play out of their trunk.
  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    50 eighteen hole rounds (or 100 nines) is plenty for anyone, especially someone with work and family commitments. I'm retired, I keep track of my golf as nine hole rounds, so this year, I'm about at 160 nines, or 80 eighteens. That's a lot of golf, actually too much, even for a retired guy. I belong to a modest club with unlimited golf. Sometimes, I'll golf because I can play for free, don't really want to at times. Sometimes, I enjoy seeing rain, just for the day off from golf, and believe me, I am addicted to golf.

My club is ideal for me, the social life has been discontinued 90%, due to declining membership. Golf without any of the fluff is perfect for me.
  • HoffTTMHoffTTM Members Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the 50 and then just ask them how many euros it is for an additional round in case you go over(most likely a big discount on standard price).
    Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
    Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
    Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
    John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
    John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
    Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file