silicone spray-which one?

ijha ·  
ijhaijha Members  309WRX Points: 0Posts: 309
CRC heavy duty silicone spray...any good?
I've read here that not all silicone sprays protect putters. Some may hurt the finish and the paint fill of the putter.

I found a CRC heavy duty silicone spray at Walmart and wonder if this is safe to apply to my putter. I didn't buy it since it says it contains some sort of acetone. Is there anyone who uses this product for his/her putters? Can anyone help me which product is most reliable?

Thank you.
Posted:

Comments

• oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers  8606WRX Points: 190Posts: 8,606 Titanium Tees
    CRC was the gold standard for carbon putter protection before Breakfree became popular.

It works fine and has yet to mess up any of the paintfill in my putters.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ijhaijha Members  309WRX Points: 0Posts: 309
    j0npeterson wrote on Aug 14 2008, 06:13 PM:
    CRC was the gold standard for carbon putter protection before Breakfree became popular.

It works fine and has yet to mess up any of the paintfill in my putters.

Thanks for your reply. I'll go get it right now....

image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
    Posted:
  • TheNatural72TheNatural72 Members  522WRX Points: 0Posts: 522
    Hi,

I went into a store to find some silicone spray. I could only find this kind also. I read that there is an electrical kind made by CRC, but I didnt see any in the store. Will this stuff be ok to use on a carbon putter, or should I keep searching for another kind?

Posted:
  • hoshos Members  655WRX Points: 55Posts: 655 Bunkers
    I use WD-40 on my TP Mills. I also spray some into the headcover occasionally if I'm gaming it more regularly. Does the trick
    Posted:
  • brassfield48brassfield48 Members  63WRX Points: 0Posts: 63
    CRC food grade silicone in a green can... eight bucks in a hardware store.. they use it on meat cutting machines...colorless and odorless...have used it on mills carbon putters on works great.. good luck
    Posted:
  • Hansch99Hansch99 Members  501WRX Points: 0Posts: 501
    I don't like using spray-on silicon because I feel it leaves the putter too oily. I've used silicon-treated cloths that they sell at a gun shop, and they give just enough protection without being too oily. And then I leave a cloth in the headcover so it is continually working.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • baywaybayway Members  163WRX Points: 0Posts: 163
    Seems like a good time to ask, should the silicon cloth treatment also be applied to the original (non insert) Odyssey Black Series putters? I was unsure since they are 1025 Carbon Steel with nickle-plating? Thanks
    Posted:
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX  6929WRX Points: 232Posts: 6,929 ClubWRX
    bayway wrote on Jan 16 2009, 05:15 PM:
    Seems like a good time to ask, should the silicon cloth treatment also be applied to the original (non insert) Odyssey Black Series putters? I was unsure since they are 1025 Carbon Steel with nickle-plating? Thanks

I wouldn't think so. The nickle-plating should be fairly maintenance free, but I have seen a few some with rust pits...
    Posted:
  • NoPar4MeNoPar4Me Unregistered  29WRX Points: 0Posts: 29
    This is the one you want. No residue with this one.
    Posted:
    crc.jpg 82.5K

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.