Longest Hitter

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1979 I saw a young 19 yr. old hit his R-90 sand wedge 185 yds. on a par 3. Six holes later on a 565 yd par 5 he hits his persimmon steel shaft driver 365 (5 yd roll), pitching wedge 20 yds over the green. Over the years when golfers start talking long hitters I recall this story. The young man's name - Andy Franks - won the national long drive championship that year (1979). Titleist made him some 110 compression balls because he would knock the 100's out of round with one swing. I have played and loved this game for 38 years and never seen anyone even close to Andy.

You have a 400 yard long range? never heard of that before

540 yard one at my home club!

sorry I didn't specify we are more than just a driving range, we are a teaching center. we have covered areas for mats open for grass,2chipping areas 3 putting greens 3 bunkers and another driving range warm up area over by our 9 hole course. So i guess it is kinda unusual but if ya got the room might as well use it

dude come on, if hes hitting it over 350-375 average, like your saying , then he can be making a lot of money on long drive tours, he wont be on top, but if you are hitting it over 385 consistently your pretty long out there on the long drive circuits.

he will be going thru the qualifiers coming up soon, would have done it sooner but has been concentrating on going thru the pga

there's a guy who works at my course and everyone kept telling me how long his little brother was...said a pw about 165-170...yeah right!!!.......Right??...one day I meet his "little" brother, who is actually 6'4" about 230. so eventually we get to the 7th at my course, a very short 300 yd pr 4. I grab driver cause I can eagle this hole on a good day. I hit one and honestly can't even remember where it went because that has nothing to do with what happens next. I look over and steven has a 7 iron in hand, claims he doesn't wanna hiy the clubhouse 60 yds behind the green...whatever right?.....so he hits maybe the longest iron shot i've ever seen. we found his ball in the green side bunker!! we went back and skycaddied it later to around 285. barely any wind....never have been able to explain it

285 7 iron??? did u type that wrong? that must be like the longest hitter on the planet.

I played in a junior tourney last year and there was a par 5 that was like 575 yards, but it went straight uphill with the second shot, so it played right around 600 or so. Anyways, the day that I played it was into the wind a little bit, not a hurricane or anything but like 10 mph. I carry my driver around 270, so i still hit it a fair distance off the tee. I hit driver, 3 wood, and had like 100 left. The other kid in my group went driver, 4 wood into the back bunker. It was disgusting.

haha, umm I am in Tucson Arizona, and I was palying with my friends from the PIMA golf team, We were on the green and 3 balls all landed almost at the same time about 10 yards short of a 380 yard par 4, the other 1 was about 10 yards behind him. These kids hit it deep. I am a long hitter myself, I can get the rare 340 poke, but i am usually around 300, these guys scare me lol

• 2 weeks later...
Coming back from a recent back injury, I made the mistake of watching the Gipper Finau drive at the end of this clip...

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=gipper+finau

My back hurts again....

Oh man... what a RIP! ;) That poor golf ball :rolleyes:

Yeah both Gipper and Tony just rip it it's INSANE.

One of the best shots I have EVER seen, I think mid-September, I'm playing a few holes with Gipper at Rose Park Golf Course and #3 is a 365 yard par 4. I step up and rip one (for me) down to about 70 yards out, Gipper steps up and FLIES the ball into the center of the green, spinning it back to about 5 feet.

NUTS!

ya i have seen Tony and Gipper hit the ball at the Junior Americas Cup in 2006. They are huge!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I played with a kid who was crazy long with all clubs. The craziest was on a 250 yard par 3 uphill always into the wind. I went first and hit a 3 wood. When i was about to walk off i realized he hit an iron and asked him what it was. He carried a 3 iron 250 uphill into the wind. I almost started crying. The funniest part is that his short game sucked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i go to a kind of crappy course in the bay area (california) and when i practice on the range, i hit my driver a good 250-270 (on good hits 270). People there i have found arent very good usually so everyone gapes at this small 5'3 kid pounding the ball all the way down the range. if anyone that hits the ball like 370 or a crazy number like that i think some ppl would faint lol :russian_roulette:

• 2 weeks later...

at the VSGA Junior Championship each year they have a long drive contest. last year it was on a part 4 hitting from the green to the tee, it was a little uphill and slightly into to wind well i got up there and hit it 306 and was leading for a good while. Then some other kid gets up there and smacks it 316!!! i talked to him afterwards and he said he does junior long drive stuff and had a 7.5 degree driver with longer shaft.

Was pretty bummed because i could have won a Ping Hoofer Vantage with VSGA on the side if he hadnt beat me.

• 3 months later...

I can hit the ball over 800 yards....then I run out of space on the runway.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

Coming back from a recent back injury, I made the mistake of watching the Gipper Finau drive at the end of this clip...

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=gipper+finau

My back hurts again....

Oh man... what a RIP! ;) That poor golf ball :rolleyes:

Yeah both Gipper and Tony just rip it it's INSANE.

One of the best shots I have EVER seen, I think mid-September, I'm playing a few holes with Gipper at Rose Park Golf Course and #3 is a 365 yard par 4. I step up and rip one (for me) down to about 70 yards out, Gipper steps up and FLIES the ball into the center of the green, spinning it back to about 5 feet.

NUTS!

Spinning it back ? come on man, with a driver ?

I have spun many drivers back when they hit a green. Two rounds ago I hit the back edge of a 325 yard green and it came back a good 10-15 feet.

Justin

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock

• 2 months later...
The longest hitter i have ever played with, was at the Optimist International Junior Golf Championships down in PGA National, FL. This kid was from Canada, I believe his name was Mitch Sutton. He was hitting it about 320-330 and you couldn't hit it straighter than he did. He finished in the Top 5 for the tournament because he was an outstanding putter as well, he doesn't just drive the ball long, but has a full game to shoot low scores. I was very impressed.

I've heard of sutton before, this year he won the Ontario Junior, and Canadian Junior, and another major tourney in Quebec all shooting deep under par.

I know I am not that long but it is still fun to rip one every occasionally.

My longest was in a summer skins game against a couple scratch golfers in their early thirties. I was a single and thrown into their afternoon game so I agreed to the wager and the fun was on. There was one guy in the group that claimed a 143-swing speed, so I knew I was up for a battle. So, on the first he hits one right OB then pulls out a three wood and proceeds to put it in the fairway bout 280. So I step up there and tear-the-freaking-cover off the ball. When we all go out to the fairway, my ball is sitting right next to the 150 marker on a 533-yard par 5.

Other than that, I have never played with a longer junior then me. I mean there is a few that I have come across that are more consistent and I am sure their average would be higher. However, if we both tee it up with some money on the line for Long drive. Then I would beat them out.

PS I am sure there is tons of juniors that are longer. I am only talking about the ones I have played with.

• 4 months later...

I was in that optimist international tourney too and im going this year as well.

WITB 

TM Stealth+ 9.5* Accra TZ6 Proto 75 M5 

Titleist 915 FD 3+ 13* Diamana Whiteboard X 80

TaylorMade P7TW 3-9 Tour Issue DG X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48, 52,56,60 DG X100

Stroke Lab Black Double Wide Arm Lock

(50 back up putters)

• 4 weeks later...

i was playing a tournament this past summer and came to a par 5 about 530...

hit a great driver and walked up to where i thought it would be..couldnt find it and finally a marshall pointed up the fairway about 60 yards from where we were looking lol... had a solid 135 into the green..

checked my ball on the green and had a few scuffs so im guessing it got a little help from a few sprinkler heads.....took my par and walked to the nex tee :good:

I havent played with anyone longer than me since i was about 16 (3 years ago). The guy that was longer than me is now about 22 and i am maybe 10 yards longer than him now. He does play of +4 though and im a 7 so you know! I know there are plenty of people out there longer but i just havent had the chance to play with them.

• 2 weeks later...