Longest Hitter

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The longest Ive probably ever played with was when I went to a golf camp at Arizona State University last year. On like the 2nd or 3rd day I played with one of their starters, a guy named Steele DeWald, big guy about 6'3" 240 pounds. I was watching him hit balls on the range before we went out to play and he was hitting SOFT 7 irons with about a 2 yard draw landing them 190!!! Anyways we go out onto the course and I tee off on the hole, a par 5 about 560 yard or so and I drive it into a fairway bunker exactly 280 from the tee. He says to me "hey can I hit your driver?" and proceeds to carry my ball by 50 yards and ends up with about 195-190 to the hole and hits 7 iron to the back of the green. He was also technically not starting on the team at the time cuz he had an injured hip! It was insane Ive never seen anyone hit the ball like that and Ive played with some people that can really get it out there.
;):cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...

I played one time in a tournament in a foursome, and we went ahead and driven and then hit our second shot on the green going for our birdie putts, when out of nowhere a ball lands on the green atleast 3 feet away from me while I am getting ready to putt, one of the kids behind us had teed off and droven the hole I had never seen anything in my life like it considering it was a extremely hard par 4 to drive.

I led my district in Driving average in high school, with an average 308.7 drive. I could put the ball out there, though for some reason, (I blame lack of play) I can't do it that much anymore. I had an old set of cobras, and could pump my three iron out there about 250-60, but in my new set of Clevelands, I don't hit them anywhere near as far. It's become more a control thing. I liked being able to hit the ball far, because golf became a much shorter game. I've been inconsistent since then. I'm working on it though.

The longest hitter i have ever played with, was at the Optimist International Junior Golf Championships down in PGA National, FL. This kid was from Canada, I believe his name was Mitch Sutton. He was hitting it about 320-330 and you couldn't hit it straighter than he did. He finished in the Top 5 for the tournament because he was an outstanding putter as well, he doesn't just drive the ball long, but has a full game to shoot low scores. I was very impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are talking about just pure raw distance check out the guys playing in the PGA Minority College championship. All I can say is Wow! My swing speed is 118 and everyday there was someone in my group out driving me by 30+ yards. One guy just teed off with a 3 iron all day and averaged 280. These guys are unreal.

I wonder what SS it would take to generate some of these distances you guys are saying. I believe you guys but to say these 'long hitters' have a 'consistent' and 'full' game....might be a rash statement. To be able to hit the ball that long and to swing that hard would make it extremely hard to have any kind of consistency with distance control in the irons.

I wonder what SS it would take to generate some of these distances you guys are saying. I believe you guys but to say these 'long hitters' have a 'consistent' and 'full' game....might be a rash statement. To be able to hit the ball that long and to swing that hard would make it extremely hard to have any kind of consistency with distance control in the irons.

Well most people can control their shots more with a smooth 75% knockdown kind of shot, and with the type of swing speed these guys have some of them are smart enough to just hit that kind of shot over and over, and it still goes farther than most peoples irons

Well most people can control their shots more with a smooth 75% knockdown kind of shot, and with the type of swing speed these guys have some of them are smart enough to just hit that kind of shot over and over, and it still goes farther than most peoples irons

That's true and it is probably what a lot of the smarter ones do. But unless their iron swing is COMPLETELY different from their driver swing it's not a swing that 'screams' consistency........or great ballstriking for that matter...

That's true and it is probably what a lot of the smarter ones do. But unless their iron swing is COMPLETELY different from their driver swing it's not a swing that 'screams' consistency........or great ballstriking for that matter...

.. i dont necessarily agree with that statement..

why are you hatin' on the long hitterS?

I can vouch that a plethora of long hitters don't have the accuracy that some shorter hitters do.

I will say however, that swinging as hard as I do, or CAN, I'll hit it out there with anybody. It's become more an understanding of control, the feeling that I don't need to swing hard to put the ball out there far, and with that, though I may have lost distance initially, I've gotten it back when my ballstriking improved. I would hit the ball very far, beyond 330 340 on some occasions; but it was almost always one out of four in the fairway. That's an average number I don't like.

So I learned that I could swing at 90% and still get it out there 300 or so, but with control! Ah, too bad I found that out after high school was over!!!

there's a guy who works at my course and everyone kept telling me how long his little brother was...said a pw about 165-170...yeah right!!!.......Right??...one day I meet his "little" brother, who is actually 6'4" about 230. so eventually we get to the 7th at my course, a very short 300 yd pr 4. I grab driver cause I can eagle this hole on a good day. I hit one and honestly can't even remember where it went because that has nothing to do with what happens next. I look over and steven has a 7 iron in hand, claims he doesn't wanna hiy the clubhouse 60 yds behind the green...whatever right?.....so he hits maybe the longest iron shot i've ever seen. we found his ball in the green side bunker!! we went back and skycaddied it later to around 285. barely any wind....never have been able to explain it

there's a guy who works at my course and everyone kept telling me how long his little brother was...said a pw about 165-170...yeah right!!!.......Right??...one day I meet his "little" brother, who is actually 6'4" about 230. so eventually we get to the 7th at my course, a very short 300 yd pr 4. I grab driver cause I can eagle this hole on a good day. I hit one and honestly can't even remember where it went because that has nothing to do with what happens next. I look over and steven has a 7 iron in hand, claims he doesn't wanna hiy the clubhouse 60 yds behind the green...whatever right?.....so he hits maybe the longest iron shot i've ever seen. we found his ball in the green side bunker!! we went back and skycaddied it later to around 285. barely any wind....never have been able to explain it

WHAT?!@!?1 A 7 IRON 285? thats what i usually can get out of my driver :coolpics:

WHAT?!@!?1 A 7 IRON 285? thats what i usually can get out of my driver :coolpics:

check this out I saw steven was at my driving range tonight. I was telling him about the story I told..two things, first he said the wind was helping that day a little and this...while we are there talking, out of nowhere he starts teeing the ball up on the range stall separators, BASICALLY A 2X4 PAINTED WHITE, I ask why and he say's that's the best lye you could ever ask, I kinda roll my eyes cause I know he's kinda a show off (type of guy who always wants to have a long drive contest even though you both know it won't even b close). my driving range goes to about400 yds and at night the lights carry 330-340. for about ten minutes tonight I watched this guy hit balls off a piece of wood and the balls were disapearing while they were still 50 ft in the air ( tonight there was no wind)