Set Up Posture Grip Alignment vs Equipment = More Important

3woodvt

Reading and observing the general topics within this site makes me wonder if the equipment really matters that much. Emphasis, excitement, and discussions over what the top 200 golfers in the world use and how that impacts us average Joe's in what and why we buy and compare against those that are so many levels above the best Amateurs.

I've definitely gotten caught up in the marketing hype and have interest in reading post from others like me in their opinions about the equipment they use.... MY real question is what is everyone' opinion about is it really the equipment or the player?

Some often give advice to get a lesson vs new equipment. This is often given to higher handicaps but I believe it applies to all of us. I often find that most of my slumps or errors is from overswinging, bad posture, alignment, or grip...the simple things or the most important things (Basic set up) that is far more important than the onslaught of annual equipment marketing that blinds us all to what all should be really focusing on.

Thoughts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In before the move...

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Reading and observing the general topics within this site makes me wonder if the equipment really matters that much. Emphasis, excitement, and discussions over what the top 200 golfers in the world use and how that impacts us average Joe's in what and why we buy and compare against those that are so many levels above the best Amateurs.

I've definitely gotten caught up in the marketing hype and have interest in reading post from others like me in their opinions about the equipment they use.... MY real question is what is everyone' opinion about is it really the equipment or the player?

Some often give advice to get a lesson vs new equipment. This is often given to higher handicaps but I believe it applies to all of us. I often find that most of my slumps or errors is from overswinging, bad posture, alignment, or grip...the simple things or the most important things (Basic set up) that is far more important than the onslaught of annual equipment marketing that blinds us all to what all should be really focusing on.

Thoughts?

Sometimes when I’m bored at home, I like to go out to my garden, bury myself in dirt and pretend that I’m a carrot.

With that being said, I don’t look at what the pros have in their bag to see what I should have in mine, I’m not a pro. I know what you’re saying because I see a lot of WRX’ers on here making their decisions based on what the top 10 in the world are using, then proceed to go out and shoot in the mid 90’s and blame the sleepless night or the 9 mph southeast wind.

Who’s to blame in this? Pure ignorance or marketing? I’d say both.

Some people (many) are here because they are just as passionate about golf equipment as they are about actually golfing. It's almost like golf equipment is nearly a separate hobby from actual golf for many here. I fall under that category - I enjoy golfing very much, but I also enjoy buying & selling golf equipment, trying different things, building clubs, etc. Sometimes it's just to try things outside the realm of what I normally prefer, sometimes it's to check out something that's generating a bunch of buzz to see if it's all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes it's just for the hell of it, because I found some components cheap on eBay that I thought might make for a fun experiment.

Honestly, my clubs that I play competitive rounds/ rounds I take seriously, they rarely change. But, that's not to say that I don't have a big pile of stuff to take out and whack around for my casual/ fun rounds.

I'm not really sure the point of this thread - it almost feels like a passive-aggressive attempt to explain to the unwashed masses what they're doing wrong. It certainly doesn't have the tone of a good faith discussion, but rather a preamble to a lecture or bait for an argument. Yeah, I suppose that there are maybe a few folks here dumb enough to think that they're going to buy a better game with new equipment. But, I'd guess the vast majority of folks here that go through way too much equipment do it because they like messing around with different stuff, not because they think that $500 on a new driver will have them hitting 300 yard bombs and their handicap plummeting.

Just remember, you are on a site that centers around golf equipment. Of course a good number of conversations here are going to default to equipment rather than grip or posture or other fundamentals.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest