Cleveland Classic XL Custom Options

Jefe21

Looking for help reassuring my thought process on picking the right setup for me.

I currently game a Cleveland Classic 290 10.5* with a House of Forged XStiff 70g Signature Series shaft.

IMG_20130609_140156_zps0419eede.jpg

I was sold the combo based on incorrect info. The listing said Stiff shaft. Didnt notice it was XS until I had the club in my hands. It was so sexy and worked out pretty well that I didn't even bother going back to HoF to look at swapping it.

I have had a few good rounds with this driver(11 fairways hit, 300yd drives) but it just seems too inconsistent. I want to believe its too much shaft. My mishit seems to be somewhat of a slice but more of a pull fade. I call it a mishit but its pretty consistent and doesn't stray too far from the fairway.With this type of shot though I am having drives hardly carry 270. I do see a handful over 300 occasionally.

Here is a screenshot of 3 different shafts I tried all in the Cleveland Classic Line:

IMG_20130922_151250_zpsd72a9214.jpg

Blue was the XStiff 70g HoF shaft. 10.5* Classic 290

Red was 43G Regular Flex Miyakazi on a 10.5* Classic XL

Green is a B Asha 4S shaft in a 9* Classic XL

I do like the launch angle on the regular flex shaft but obviously not right for my swing.

I was shocked to see that the lighter 9* with less launch angle went farther than the heavier 10.5*. Makes me think a 10.5* stiff shaft would be even better distance but the launch angle on my best drive was under 7 so Im a little confused on where to go from here.

I am leaning towards picking up a Classic XL Custom simply because of adjust-ability and of course its looks/my Cleveland club whoring. Since it can be adjusted 1.5* up or down, should I look at a 9* or a 10.5*?

http://www.golfwrx.c...tach_id=1733794

I am heading over to Vans again tonight to see what other shafts they have but Im thinking a stiff shaft between 52 and 60g is what will suit me best.

Does the XL Custom line have different heads like the regular Classics?

Thoughts? Appreciate it!

Cleveland Classic 290/House of Forged John Daly XStiff/Gripmaster Leather wrap

Ping i20 3W
Cleveland CG16 Tour Satin Irons
Ping Tour-W 50/56/60 Wedges
Cleveland Classic #2 Putter

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Custom XL head so that I could put a shaft in that I was familiar with - That shaft was an Aldila RIP Alpha 60x that I had used in another Cleveland & a ZL Cobra - In the Custom XL it worked well for me (I have a short fast swing @ 105mph & usually get fitted into tip stiff shafts otherwise I spray the ball all over the place) - As a dyed in the wool shaft 'ho' I recently picked up a 6M3 Matrix Black Tie also in X - This appears to be the elusive 'keeper' for me - I have never hit the ball so well off the tee! - Definitely one to get on your shortlist to try - Good luck ... Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

I am hearing a lot on that Black Tie shaft. Pretty sure I hit that a few weeks ago but didnt get specs.

Stopped by Vans last night and the results are fairly similar haha

IMG_20130926_182317_zps05fc778e.jpg

Green was my HoF setup

Red was my S300 tipped 1" 9* Classic

Yellow was a 10.5* Custom XL with a B Asha 4S

Orange was a 10.5* Custom XL with a JDL 6S

Ping i20 3W

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Grafalloy Epic shaft in stiff to try out. For $25, why not. Hearing some great reviews. So now im looking at heads.

I can pick up a slightly used Custom XL with a senior shaft for like $85. Think I may go that route and just pull the shaft. All 10.5* heads are the same right?

Ping i20 3W

I have older brother of the XL...the 310 Tour with a Kusala Black 72X and that is one joyous combination! Without a doubt one of the nicest shafts I have ever played!

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

I hit the 310 a couple times and for some reason didnt like it. Everything Ive read says its longer. My best #s were with the 290 though. I love it but this black adjustable head is t****!

Ping i20 3W

[quote name='Jefe21' timestamp='1381178604' post='7966473']
I hit the 310 a couple times and for some reason didnt like it. Everything Ive read says its longer. My best #s were with the 290 though. I love it but this black adjustable head is t****!
[/quote]
I've played R11s, X Hot, X Hot Pro, Ping Anser and the Classic 310. Without a doubt, the 310 is the hottest face I've hit. Ball just launches off the face, and nice low spin (but not crazy low)! Beautiful sound too! So good, my Anser is going up for sale on the BST as soon as I get some photos. AND.....the best part. It cost me $70.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Jefe21' timestamp='1381182649' post='7966801']
Finding conflicting info on the ferrule diameter. Is it 335 or 350? Or can you order them both ways? Ordered a 335 shaft
[/quote]

I believe all Cleveland heads are .350. I'm not sure about the adapter for the custom XL though.

I have a Classic 290 and love it! From your launch monitor pictures it looks like you really need a higher launch and more spin, assuming the monitor is accurate. The 290s are really low spin and low launch so if stick with the 10.5 but I'd look for a shaft with a softer tip in the weight you like. I have a Kusala White in mine and it's a beast in this head! It's also not whippy like other tip soft shafts. Of the stock shafts with the XL custom, did you try the BAsha with the 10.5 head? If you can find it with a 60g or 50g stiff, it would be worth trying.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Adapter size comes in .335 and .350. Just ordered the ferrule and adapter from Cleveland. Called them up and they are sending me some spare washers, the screw and the adjustment guide free. Great company!

Found a mint Custom XL head on the Bay for $65 shipped. So with grip and install I will have about $105 in this thing. Hard to beat considering they were $200+ with a custom shaft only a couple months ago

Ping i20 3W

Ya I did like the B Asha 4S. Some of best hits and fastest head speed on the monitors. Haven't tried it on a course though. if this Epic doesnt work Ill probably go that route. the Epic does have a soft tip

TT0023specs.jpg

Ping i20 3W

My XL Custom came with a .335 adapter although you can get both .335 and .350. Also, dont forget to get a Cleveland wrench if you just bought a head off Ebay. The pinhead engineers spec'd a square screw for the Custom adapter and nothing will work except the Cleveland wrench.

If you live anywhere other than the US you're SOL getting any spare parts from Cleveland. I've been waiting over 2 weeks for a wrench and not too happy about it.

Are all the 2012 Classic heads .350? I have a 310 driver/ Kusala Black and a 290 head. I'm considering pulling the Kusala and putting it in the XL Custom or the 290.

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

[quote name='enduro' timestamp='1381258837' post='7971433']My XL Custom came with a .335 adapter although you can get both .335 and .350. Also, dont forget to get a Cleveland wrench if you just bought a head off Ebay. The pinhead engineers spec'd a square screw for the Custom adapter and nothing will work except the Cleveland wrench.

If you live anywhere other than the US you're SOL getting any spare parts from Cleveland. I've been waiting over 2 weeks for a wrench and not too happy about it.

Are all the 2012 Classic heads .350? I have a 310 driver/ Kusala Black and a 290 head. I'm considering pulling the Kusala and putting it in the XL Custom or the 290.
[/quote]
Head comes with all 3 weights and the wrench. Got a Cleveland rep on the phone today and they sending me spare washers and the adjustment guide. Took my address and said she will mail it today for free. Ordered the sleeve on their site and already have a confirmation email. Order status says assigning for delivery.

Not sure on the '12 heads

Ping i20 3W

I wish my XL head had at least included a wrench or spare weights. I bought a head and hosel for a good price on Ebay. But, add another $27 for the wrench and its not such a good deal. The weights are another $15 a peice and Golftown is the only place in Canada where you can get the parts. Neither wrench nor weight are ever for sale on Ebay.

Good luck with the Epic/XL combo. I got a 10.5/Accra Dymatch 50 combo and just bought a 9.0 Xl head. I have the 10.5 in the neutral setting but want the face more open . Right now I'm missing left too often and need to determine if its the shaft or face angle. I rarely miss left with my classic 310/Kusala. I also have a Fubuki Alpha shaft to try if the Dymatch doesn't work out.

I may have to pick one of these up and give it a go.

Bag stolen...we shall rebuild!  We have rebuilt!

Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5 Miyazaki JDL

Razr Fit Xtreme 4 wood Aldila Trinity

Searching for a Hybrid

Maltby DBM 4-PW Recoil Prototype 125's

52-56-60 Cleveland Tour Van Forged Modus 120 S

Old AF TM Spider 

Mine is working well after I cut 1/2 inch off due to D7 swing weight it came with - PX 8A4 shaft

Srixon 545 8.5 Tour Issue - Miyazaki Kosuma Black 7X
Cobra Fly Z 13 - Miyazaki Kosuma Indigo 7X
Ping Anser 18 - Miyazaki Kosuma Black 7X
Srixon Z965 - Modus 3 120 TX
Cleveland 588 50-54-58
Cleveland HBC 3 Putter

• 4 weeks later...

Well, one good thing about the XL Custom is that the new driver will have the same adapter and wrench type (according to my rep anyway) so anything purchased for the XL Custom should work for the 588 Custom coming in Febuary I think.

On another note, will the tips from the Custom work if pulled then reinstalled on another on another shaft?

I've purchased about every shaft I could find for the custom and finally settled on the black tie, but want to pull a tip or 2 and put on some shafts that I haven't been able to find with CG tips, like an Oban or PX. I also think a Diamana White 73 would be a great shaft for this head as well.

Also, I've got a few extra wrenches and instructions if anyone needs one let me know. I will make up a post I guess in the FS section tonight since they're hard to find. I don't have any extra weights though.

TaylorMade SLDR
Titleist 913f 15*
Cleveland CB 3-6 Irons
Cleveland MB 7-PW Irons
Cleveland 588 Forged 50, 54, 58
Cameron 340g Circa III Asian Spec

If you live in the US wrenches and weights are easy enough to get through Clevelands website, live anywhere else and you're screwed. The one and only option in Canada is ordering through Golftown. Took me 3 weeks to get a wrench and it ended up costing $32 with taxes and shipping. I ordered an extra adapter later and it only took 4 days though.

My XL 10.5/Acrra Combo, 45.5" length, 3g weight didn't last long . The combo hit too high and the weight(sub 60g Accra shaft) was too light for my swing. After 3 rounds and many range balls, I concluded the 310 driver is both longer and more consistent for me.

I replaced the 10.5 driver with a 9.0. New setup is 45" length, 7g weight, Fubuki Alpha shaft, 1.5 open. IMO, at the neutral setting, there is still a draw bias to the Custom head. Much better trajectory now, spin is noticeably lower and dispersion is better with the Fubuki. Right now its a tossup between the XL/9.0 and the 310. The XL looks better and is slightly more forgiving, the 310 has better sounds and feel and a superior shaft.

I'm still might pull the Kusala Black shaft from my Classic 310. Unfortunately, the 310 has a standard hosel and higher BBGM than an XL Custom or the Classic 290. The Kusala pull would probably be too short for a 290 without adding a bunch of weight to the head, it might work well with the XL/12g weight.

[quote name='Bogs' timestamp='1383569020' post='8099168']Also, I've got a few extra instructions if anyone needs one let me know.[/quote]
I do. How much?

Ping i20 3W

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. Has anyone cut down a cleveland classic 310 to 44 1/2?? Is it possible to put rat glue or something in the head to get the SW right?

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

[quote name='BogeyLJA' timestamp='1385878003' post='8231732']
Bump. Has anyone cut down a cleveland classic 310 to 44 1/2?? Is it possible to put rat glue or something in the head to get the SW right?
[/quote]
Lead tape on the sole or hot melt instead of the head

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max D 12° Driver

Ping BeCu Eye 2 + Brown Dot 4-PW/SW Irons

Taylormade MySpider GT Putter

First thing I noticed is, that your numbers come from a GC2 device. It shows the standard 1.45 ratio, which means, it's only the basic unit without the camera modul to really capture fiting data from the clubhead. So please don't look at the clubhead speed numbers, since these were simply calculated with the standard smashfactor - not meassured. I would never ever sell a driver without knowing the correct smashfactor. That's the weakest part of the CG2 when not using the optional camera modul.

Second - as already stated by others: You need a higher LA. With your ballspeed numbers, I would like to see something around 14-15° with spinnumbers around 2.500-2.700 rpm. Some of the numbers really seem to be weird. It's hard to believe, that you deloft your club massively without adding some serious spin to the ball. Are all of these hits way left of target? And you are massively closing the clubface with your hands to kill your LA?

Anyway - none of these setups would be something I would ever sell to you. And shafts like Black Tie, heavier PX graphite, Kusala Black or the like won't help you at all. All of them are tip stiff, low launching and spinning shafts. B.Asha 4S might be a good idea, since it's a higher launching shaft with a softer tip to add LA and spin. But only by numbers and without knowing your swing, it's really hard to give you a correct information.

First of all you might want to find a location that uses Trackman or Flightscope, to get some useful data from your fittings. AoA would be helpful as well as the correct smashfactor.

Regards,
Michael

Wow thanks, never heard that on the GC2.

Not way left, Id say most were starting left of center and fading. I must be closing the face as I had some nasty pulls this weekend with it. Other than that I have really been liking the Custom XL with the Epic shaft. A little inconsistency but its my fault not the club. Strengthening my grip really helped out.

I noticed a local course has a Ping fitting in 2 weeks. Im gonna stop by and see what they have and get some accurate #s

Ping i20 3W