Anyone play the Wilson Staff 50 ball?

Big D McGee

I too am a WIlson Fifty convert. I'm going to take all of the unopened dozens of balls I have back to the store and switch them out for as many dozes of the Fifty as I can get. It's not the longest ball (not saying it doesn't get great distance by any means) and it's not the softest/spinniest ball (although no slouch in this department either). It's the perfect in-betweener ball and I kind of don't even want to try the E6 dozen I was talked into buying. It is that good for me. By the way, I average about 96-98mph with the driver and about 87-89 with the 5 iron.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a great ball for you if you like the soft core hard cover type like Noodle, Srixon AD333, Nike soft.....

I played one sleeve and gave away the rest, still like the harder core and softer mantle and cover premium balls better.

If you like a slighty harder (60's compression instead of the Wilson 50/50 )and longer distance, try the Titleist Gran-Z, selling about $15 at Golf Galaxy, and many other golf discount stores.

I disagree with you in that the Wilson ball to me feels much different than the Noodle or the AD-333. The Ionomer cover on the 50 isn't as mushy as those balls. It is soft, but I have more feel with the putter with the Wilsons.

I will say this. I wouldn't like this ball as much on the greens if I was playing a soft insert putter like the 2-Ball. I could see where you would have issues with that combination.

Congratulation, I'm glad that not everyone likes the same ball. It shouldn't make that much difference anyway, it's more a personal preferance? Think of everyone playing the same type of golf ball? What do you say on the first tee? I'm using Wilson 50/50, me 2, me 3, me 4 ? Ha Ha Ha Ha ....

It'll just be like the Titleist used to be some years ago.

Maybe when everyone switched to the Wilson, then other favorite brand would have a price drop for the rest of us. My CURRENT favorite golf ball is still Taylormade tp Black, we'll see if this changes over when colder weather comes or the next best golf ball on the market. They seem to come up with new golf balls a couple of times annually. Hard to keep up with all the new toys.

Haven't hit the 50, but the ball I've been playing all year is really hard to beat. Picked up literally 20 dozen Wilson I Wound's at Dick's earlier this year. They were clearing these things out at $7.50 a dozen. I pretty much just came back to the game after 7 years or so of limited playing. I play these I-Wounds and can spin them with ease and they are a very workable ball. Remind me alot of the old Tour Balata's but play a bit firmer. Nothing like basically having a couple of hundred golf balls that you can rotate thru during a season.

OK, finally got to play this ball on a normal track. What an interesting ball. It felt different off the driver than anything I've ever played. I'm really struggling to describe it - kind of felt heavy with a bit of a thud as it comes off the face. Yet, it is as long as the Bridestone E6 or Titleist NXT balls I was playing before. Maybe longer. Ball flight was high and it held its line pretty well.

Other than the odd feel off the driver, the Wilson 50 really excels in other areas. It felt great with the irons and I stuck most of my wedge shots. The closer you get to the green, the better this ball gets.

Driver  Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Project X Evenflow Riptide 50
Fairway Callaway Epic Speed 15* HZRDUS Smoke

Hybrid Cobra King F8 22* Aldila Rogue Pro 75

Irons Ping G425 5-GW Power Spec DG 105

Wedges Ping Glide Stealth 54*/58* Z-Z115

Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 8 35"

Ball Bridgestone e12 Contact

Haven't hit the 50, but the ball I've been playing all year is really hard to beat. Picked up literally 20 dozen Wilson I Wound's at Dick's earlier this year. They were clearing these things out at $7.50 a dozen. I pretty much just came back to the game after 7 years or so of limited playing. I play these I-Wounds and can spin them with ease and they are a very workable ball. Remind me alot of the old Tour Balata's but play a bit firmer. Nothing like basically having a couple of hundred golf balls that you can rotate thru during a season.

20 dozen??!?!?!?!?!

That would literally last 5 years for me, maybe longer.

I usually use 3-4 dozen for a year.

edit: the maxfli fire tour is the ball I want to try. Dicks has them buy one get one 50% off but I only want one dozen, and $29.99 is a fairly high starting point. Hell I'd be happy with one sleeve. I have to believe in another couple weeks they'll have sales where you can get just one dozen for like $20.

Not a bad price. We'll see if its worth double the price of the 50.

Driver  Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Project X Evenflow Riptide 50
Fairway Callaway Epic Speed 15* HZRDUS Smoke

Hybrid Cobra King F8 22* Aldila Rogue Pro 75

Irons Ping G425 5-GW Power Spec DG 105

Wedges Ping Glide Stealth 54*/58* Z-Z115

Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 8 35"

Ball Bridgestone e12 Contact

Hey All:

Well I thought instead of opening a new Wilson Staff 50 thread, i would just use this one. I admit that I do like a lot of W/S products and as far as balls go I have not been able to get away from the W/S Px3. So I'm at a golf store up here and finally caved into the thought of trying the "Fiddy". LOL...no thanks to the threads here about it. here is what I observed.

Driver: I felt that this ball had big time legs off the driver. The ball just seemed to jump off of the face. I didn't notice an odd "thud" type feel as described in another post. It's just that when you hit this ball because of the lower compression it doesn't give you that solid...borderline harsh feeling at impact. But you know you've hit it by the hiss. The ball is long...period. I was in the fairway or just off of the fairway in parts of the course where I have never been before. BTW my swing speed is starting to increase again I'm back in the 102 mph range. A tad slower than my 107 mph swing. I didn't observe any ballooning but maybe once the swing hits 105 mph or so the ballooning may be an issue.

Irons: Again good legs off of the irons. Nice mid-high trajectory and they stopped very easily on the green. Again so soft off of the irons...yeah I know 50 compression. They seem to really hold their line in the wind. I can tell you that i hit a couple a little thin and they did not hurt.

Wedges: They spun just as well for me as anything that I've used. I've played Pro V1 and so on. The balls are very responsive off of wedges. Whether it be full, 3/4 or greenside swings/shots. I think again it's the softer compression. They were a real pleasure to play from in close.

Putter: The "Fiddy" rolls real nice. The feel was buttery soft off of my SC. I had no problem gauging distance or control with them. The downfall with them I think might be putters with an insert. I have a Cobra Aussie Series Sydney and I didn't like the feel with it as much as the SC. It was too soft. My SC is a Futura Phantom mallet.

Durability: This is a huge selling point for me. I used one ball for an entire round of 74 strokes and not a knick or gouge. That ball will be put back into play at 7:37 tomorrow morning.

Overall it's a great ball tee to green. I believe I have found a new ball to replace the Px3 which is good because it's a matter of time before the Px3 is yanked off of the shelves. Between the cost and performance the "Fiddy" is a winner. For the big swingers of 105 mph+ I don't think it would be a good choice. But for the others out there try it you may like it.

Alex

Based upon what I had read on this website, and on other sites, I decided to try a box of the wilson 50/50 (what the heck, they were only $15 a dozen).

I'm about a 12 handicap, and have slightly above average length on my drives. I normally play the pro v1x as it's very soft, long, and helps take some of the spin off my ball. I have a fairly steep swing and put lots of spin on the ball. I have trouble keeping regular pro v's (and other high spin balls) from spinning back off of greens.

Today I tried the Wilson's for one round. I was pretty impressed. Conditions weren't ideal today (it was raining and windy), but I got a feel for the ball.

Putting: Very soft. I really liked putting with this ball. Honest to god, it made a pro-v feel hard in back to back putts. The only thing that i found odd was that it was so quiet. No click upon impact. Actually one of the better rounds of putting I've had all year (I hope that continues!).

Chipping: Very soft and predictable. Very nice feel. Easy to control.

Irons: Same length as my normal balls, similar spin to a prov1x. No ballooning for me. Very soft off the club face.

Driver: Ball had great initial velocity. Seems to fly slightly higher than normal for me. More carry, less roll. Same relative distance (it's hard to tell on only 10 or 12 drives).

Overall, very impressive. Best value for the dollar I have ever seen. I'm going to give these a try for a few more rounds and make sure. The only downside is that they are so quiet upon impact. Once you get used to the lack of audible click upon impact, you'll be impressed with the ball.

Just thought I'd share my findings,

Brett

I tried the E6 yesterday just to compare and I'm pissed I even opened that box of balls. For me there is no comparison to the 50. If you haven't tried the 50, make sure you do.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I admit, I just started playing seriously about 8-9 months ago. Broke 100 two months ago. I was playing the Top Flite D2 Feels (very good ball for starters), but they would scuff if you looked at them crosseyed. Picked up the Wilson Staff 50s because I play the di7 irons (steel shaft - great clubs - talk about those later) and have been ecstatic with the clubs - how bad can the balls be? The balls are nice. Durable. Straight off the driver with good distance (I play about 250-260 off my 300cc Pal Joey driver). I can't say enough about the feedback and the way these balls hold the green. Beginner balls (Top Flite, Titleist DT SoLo, Maxfli, Callaway Big Berthas, etc.) tend to be straight off the tee, but tend to not have good hold of the greens. These do. Where the big bonus for me was on the greens. Ball rolls true and has good feedback through the putter (Nike Ignite 3). I almost broke 90 the other day because I don't think I three putted more than once. They look good and professional. They are cheaper than other balls - until I get better, I can't see buying another brand.

I was playing the Top Flite D2 Feels (very good ball for starters), but they would scuff if you looked at them crosseyed.

I did a comparo of the D2 Feel and the Wilson 50 with very different results......

The Wilson 50 has a VERY nice feel at impact & off the putter, but the D2 Feel was longer & straighter off the tee and FAR more wind-worthy...... as good as Cally HX balls. As for durability, I found the Wilson 50 to be more prone to scuffing due to its softer cover.

Regardless of performance differences between the two balls, the "Made in China" label on the Wilson 50 box was a deal-breaker for me! As always, YMMV.

• 2 years later...

I thought the Titleist Tour Distance SF was a great value ($1.25 a ball, Costco), but these balls blow them away. My putting has been horrible lately and these balls were so soft my speeds were so much better I was thrilled.

You can find the 50/50 even cheaper than $1 a ball on el Bay. Don't want to drive the price up too much, but damn. That's recycled Nike price at Target. These balls are much softer than the Nike PD Soft with the same distance and much, much better feel. That lack of 'harshness' people have mentioned is the best way to describe it.

Also, Just picked up the Wilson Di9's after gaming the Ci7's this year to feel my misses more, and the Di9's are so comparable to the G15's its not even funny. Hit them side by side for an hour. Was amazed.

How the hell is Wilson gear so cheap?

Buying another 5 dozen 50/50's...

Way to bring back an old thread!

Just gamed the 2009 Zips tonight, which are very similar to the 50's, except as a 3-piece ball instead of 2.

If you like the 50's, try the Zips, mainly as they are also on clearance. Same panhead dimples, same cushy feel, same surprisingly soft ionomer cover, but with even more spin.

I quit playing the 50's as they balooned a lot on drives in warm weather. The Zips, not so much.

Wilson makes good balls, as long as the package says "Staff". It if doesn't say Staff (i.e. Prostaff, EcoCore, Profile, Smartcore) I'd recommend a pass.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a few boxes of the Zips and 50s last year when I switched to Wilson Staff Di irons. I finally went back to my TaylorMade irons late last season because I didn't like the Wilson Fat Shaft, but I have been playing the Wilson Staff balls this season and I really like them. I had been playing Titleist NXTs and these as good or better. Wilson Staff makes good products, its just ashame they don't have more Tour presence.

• 3 years later...

50 is a good ball for me as well, just brought some supersofts from Callaway and they are really nice balls. They feel like the old maxfli ht balata ball brought a box at academy a week ago and yesterday went and got another doz at 19.95 not to bad. Good feel off the putter for me, but best of all is they are [size=6]MADE in USA. [/size]

• 2 weeks later...