DJ Watts' Swing Principles/Philosophy

DJ Watts

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1397661249' post='9104085']
DJ I forgot to ask...what's your swing speed with the driver?

Have you ever gone on trackman or some similar device? Would be great to see your numbers!
[/quote]

I'll be doing that sometime this spring, tembolo - I could give SSR or simulator numbers but no one wants those these days. I've been behind the curve on Trackman as it came around after I was already doing my thing. But I mentioned working with a PGA of A pro who got one last year, and he was raving about it. Since everything I helped him with, he confirmed hitting balls on Trackman, I imagine I'll be intrigued myself looking at the numbers.

I'll post them on this thread as soon as I do however, and anything else that I think may be helpful or of interest!

Best,

DJ

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask a serious question? Why does everyone give you such a hard time. I'm always interested in reading different peoples views and opinions. If you don't have a civil and or constructive response, save it for your old lady or something....bunch of internet warriors around here.

R11s
R11-3 wood
4-pw 716 AP2
52,55,60 sm4 vokey
S.C. Newport Classic

Pull hooks, pull hooks everywhere.

[quote name='Ryan Gash' timestamp='1397664194' post='9104423']
Can I ask a serious question? Why does everyone give you such a hard time. I'm always interested in reading different peoples views and opinions. If you don't have a civil and or constructive response, save it for your old lady or something....bunch of internet warriors around here.
[/quote]

Almost every response he gets is a legitimate question, the fact that the questions seem tough is due to the fact that DJ is making ridiculously overboard statements that aren't all true. THAT is why he is having a hard time, there are lots of real teachers on here who knows tons of stuff and they don't let misinformation slip. But, I think it's totally fair because this board is pretty "equal opportunity" when it comes to calling people out for saying misleading or incorrect things. It's not just DJ that gets called out, but anyone. It just so happens that DJ posts more factually objectionable things than many others.

So, on this board, the reality is simple: If you don't want to be called out, then BE RIGHT MORE AND WRONG LESS.

[/quote]

Hi Ryan, thanks for the comment, and I imagine I have ideas and opinions that don't agree with everyone. I don't really say anything that hasn't already been said by others, but I guess when I say it, it upsets some people.

All I can do is talk about why I see, observe and have learned over years of studying the swing. I'm perhaps unorthodox in my methods, but the conventional ways didn't work for me.

The way I look at the swing has helped a good many people, so I'll keep trying to talk about the swing from my point of view. People are going to disagree, some politely, others not-so-politely.

Best,

DJ

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1397664723' post='9104479']
[/quote]

Almost every response he gets is a legitimate question, the fact that the questions seem tough is due to the fact that DJ is making ridiculously overboard statements that aren't all true. THAT is why he is having a hard time, there are lots of real teachers on here who knows tons of stuff and they don't let misinformation slip. But, I think it's totally fair because this board is pretty "equal opportunity" when it comes to calling people out for saying misleading or incorrect things. It's not just DJ that gets called out, but anyone. It just so happens that DJ posts more factually objectionable things than many others.

So, on this board, the reality is simple: If you don't want to be called out, then BE RIGHT MORE AND WRONG LESS.
[/quote]

Well, right more and wrong less in the golf swing is pretty objectionable in itself. Some things work for some people and they don't for others. That's how I always read his stuff. He's not say this is what you HAVE to do, he is just giving pointers on what works for him and might work for you. Maybe I just take what everyone says as their opinion and not exactly what you have to do to be the best golfer in the world...or something to that effect.

I also get what you're saying. There are things he does that aren't ideal?! But whatever. Point being if you don't like it just move on. I highly doubt some people would be so confrontational in the real world. Not saying you are, just some of the folks on here.

Ryan

R11s
R11-3 wood
4-pw 716 AP2
52,55,60 sm4 vokey
S.C. Newport Classic

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397665448' post='9104569']
[/quote]

Hi Ryan, thanks for the comment, and I imagine I have ideas and opinions that don't agree with everyone. I don't really say anything that hasn't already been said by others, but I guess when I say it, it upsets some people. All I can do is talk about why I see, observe and have learned over years of studying the swing. I'm perhaps unorthodox in my methods, but the conventional ways didn't work for me.

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

Exactly, thanks for that response.

R11s
R11-3 wood
4-pw 716 AP2
52,55,60 sm4 vokey
S.C. Newport Classic

IMO, the only thing that causes injury when you restrict hips in backswing is an open stance and use of hips in transition especially the goat hump kind.

Otherwise, restricted hips won't cause injury nor mess up the swing except an upright swing with small accum 3. In fact it's ideal for a lower swing with big accum 3 use because it helps to release early and get down to a lower plane.

DJ has an upright swing with very small accum 3. He NEEDS unrestricted hips.

JMH(acker's)O though...

What's happening to Tiger is he restricts the hips when he has small accum 3 and has a bit more upright swing. Messes up his back because with more upright hands, he can't fire the hips immediately and release them, he has to wait (smaller 3 means later release to allow more time to get down and eventually use a shorter release interval). So more back stress bec more time maintaining the hip torque restriction. Person with big accum 3 can restrict hips bec he will fire hips and release them immediately from the top anyway in order to release the club and accums earlier too. Just don't use an open stance to not mess up the back.

But what do I know?...I can't swing a lick!

[/quote]

I don't really say anything that hasn't already been said by others,

I'm perhaps unorthodox in my methods, but the conventional ways didn't work for me.
[/quote]
Ryan, I think the above quotes from the same post will give you some idea why DJ gets a bit of a hard time on here.

DJ is saying things that have been said for years, but he leads on as if he "found" them and they are revolutionary. Then he condemns "modern" golf instruction and claims himself unorthodox.

So DJ, which is it?

Are you unorthodox, saying brand new things, or are you saying things that has already been said by others?

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

[quote name='duckjr78' timestamp='1397667682' post='9104843']
[/quote]

I'm perhaps unorthodox in my methods, but the conventional ways didn't work for me.
[/quote]
Ryan, I think the above quotes from the same post will give you some idea why DJ gets a bit of a hard time on here.

DJ is saying things that have been said for years, but he leads on as if he "found" them and they are revolutionary. Then he condemns "modern" golf instruction and claims himself unorthodox.

So DJ, which is it?

Are you unorthodox, saying brand new things, or are you saying things that has already been said by others?
[/quote]

duckjr78, I think I've already said that nothing I say is "new." I have said that over years of looking at my swing, other swings and from modeling swings hitting balls, [b][i]certain principles began to repeatedly show up in many different swings[/i][/b]. They aren't new principles, no one in the last 40 years has said anything "new" about the swing, I'm talking about taking certain principles and using them together to build a solid and repeatable swing.

In fact, most of the principles I espouse go back to the days of the old classic swingers. Some people I've spoken with about the swing don't even know who Byron Nelson was or how he swung - to them, a certain concept might be new.

If you're not getting anything from my postings, then you likely don't require any assistance with your swing. That's great. [i] Others[/i] aren't so lucky and find some merit in my postings as indicated by the messages they send me to keep posting and not mind the people who object.

My posts are for them, and others won't find them helpful, but there's something here for some people. I used to believe in a "perfect swing," but now I'm more interested in helping people swing according to their own specs and especially not be discouraged by something like a physical disability or deformity - you can have a great swing even if it doesn't look like the "perfect" model.

I think it's a good thing all around.

Best,

DJ

[quote name='albiefresh' timestamp='1397667830' post='9104859']
DJ,

In what direction does your spine curve? I am curious because mine curves right such that when I try to stand straight, my right shoulder is lower than my left. I would be interested if some of your adjustments would help me.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Hi albiefresh,

And to make a dark joke, I wish I had your curve! Mine is the other way, it curves to the left with a spiral, so my left shoulder is not only lower than my right, my hips angle to the left as well as my shoulders if I stand up straight with my feet together. So I have to drop my right foot back from the line to bring my shoulders to square, and I have to have my right arm bent at address.

That sets me up to make a swing, and even then, I can't get into the "slot" that most other golfers can, I can only swing freely with an action that gives me a very OTT-looking action.

I considered switching to lefty this past winter, so that I'd have the opposite effect of being set up with the spine curve going with the spine tilt I wanted, but after a few swings, my back told me to forget it, and I listened! I'm not interested in winding up in traction.

For you, I imagine you find that you have a very inside-to-out down swing and likely either push-hook or just block everything, am I correct?

If that's not what's going on, could you tell me what happens when you swing and how you're set up?

Best,

DJ

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397668342' post='9104899']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So DJ, which is it?

[/quote]

duckjr78, I think I've already said that nothing I say is "new." I have said that over years of looking at my swing, other swings and from modeling swings hitting balls, [b][i]certain principles began to repeatedly show up in many different swings[/i][/b]. They aren't new principles, no one in the last 40 years has said anything "new" about the swing, I'm talking about taking certain principles and using them together to build a solid and repeatable swing.

In fact, most of the principles I espouse go back to the days of the old classic swingers. Some people I've spoken with about the swing don't even know who Byron Nelson was or how he swung - to them, a certain concept might be new.

If you're not getting anything from my postings, then you likely don't require any assistance with your swing. That's great. [i] Others[/i] aren't so lucky and find some merit in my postings as indicated by the messages they send me to keep posting and not mind the people who object.

My posts are for them, and others won't find them helpful, but there's something here for some people. I used to believe in a "perfect swing," but now I'm more interested in helping people swing according to their own specs and especially not be discouraged by something like a physical disability or deformity - you can have a great swing even if it doesn't look like the "perfect" model.

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

Ok. I think I am starting to get it. You want to help everyone find their own "best" swing. In that case, I applaud your efforts. Perhaps you can help me then. I've had a ruptured L4/L5 disk and live with sciatic nerve and sacro iliac nerve pain. Can you offer some setup or swing ideas that might reduce aggravation of this condition?

Thanks in advance.

duck

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

DJ,

Please. Pretty pretty please, in fact, post something that would give you some shred of evidence to your credibility. I, and many others, are trying to figure out what a "swing researcher" means. You could be an idiot savant with the swing, or merely a crazy guy with a swing video library and a keyboard. What have you accomplished teaching or playing wise that should make anyone want to listen to you? As it stands, I'm comfortable publicly stating that I believe I could give you 3 a side and wax you based off what I see. Can you prove me wrong? Lee Trevino said he'd never take a lesson from someone who couldn't beat him, so what gives you the basis of cutting down pretty much every modern instructor?

Please know that since I am bored, you can expect me to intrude as much as you do until I get an answer. I will post in your threads everyday requesting this information until evidential proof of your abilities is provided. I will annoy you and your alter-ego and/or friend cowpie to the point of frustration, as you've so freely done with this board.

Game on.

Hi SPIF,

I have been primarily focused on swing theory, so you'd likely beat me at scoring golf right now as I'm just transitioning to playing golf from just the swing. In golf swing circles, you'll find a few people who might know me. This is me here on Harrison Shafts page on long drive:

acceleration_1299630791.jpg

I don't know why you would need any proof of anything I've accomplished as what I say about the swing either stands by itself or doesn't. That said, I've worked with mainly the average person looking to improve their swings.

I've helped a PGA of America teaching pro who actually won POY in his section before coming to ask me for swing help. I've had a former Remax Long Drive Champion read my analysis on his swing and who contacted me to tell me he'd made a change I recommended and improved his consistency. These are not people I'll name, because I didn't recruit them, they read things I'd written on the swing and felt I knew a little something.

People ask me for assistance when they see what I can do swinging a club. It's that simple. If a guy can hit a 5 iron straighter and longer than you or hit drives over 300 yards, well beyond that, in fact - and he's saying something about the swing, then it might intrigue you.

I'm not a world famous person, however.

Best,

DJ

I would say that DJ probably flies a drive 100 yards past Foley, something that would have Butch Harmon leaking into his Depends. I would never want to study with some guy who couldn't perform or hadn't demonstrated that he could perform on a superior level.

[quote name='ruddermayhem' timestamp='1397669274' post='9105003']
[/quote]

I was wondering what the beef was too.[b] I mean he's not saying everyone is wrong and he is the only one with the magic[/b]. He's a golf geek like the rest of us.

[/quote]

Is the bold serious? Because I have to respectfully disagree if so. If you look at all his previous threads, you will see that telling everyone they are wrong and he is right is precisely what he was doing. Look, guys, I agree in general not to give people a hard time for no reason, but in this case I just don't see that happening. DJ has been and continues to make extraordinary claims regarding golf instruction and the modern swing. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. All we are saying is that he needs to do a better job of explaining his position if he is going to take make these pronouncements. And, to be honest, isn't it better that people are calling him out? If real teachers who make their living teaching disagree with DJ, then maybe its better that they make this known so less experienced golfers don't take everything DJ says for total truth.

Look, DJ has called himself a "researcher" all along and says he wants his peers to voice their opinions of his ideas. That's what is happening here. If you want everyone to agree with anyone who posts anything about the golf swing just because they are a nice guy (and I agree, DJ is a very nice guy), this probably isn't a great board for that. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here who aren't afraid to disagree when they think it is necessary, and that's what makes this board so awesome.

[quote name='duckjr78' timestamp='1397669496' post='9105027']
[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397668342' post='9104899']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So DJ, which is it?

[/quote]

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

Ok. I think I am starting to get it. You want to help everyone find their own "best" swing. In that case, I applaud your efforts. Perhaps you can help me then. I've had a ruptured L4/L5 disk and live with sciatic nerve and sacro iliac nerve pain. Can you offer some setup or swing ideas that might reduce aggravation of this condition?

Thanks in advance.

duck
[/quote]

That's exactly what I want to help people do, duck - find their own swing. Funny, I should have done that much earlier. Back in '98 when I was hanging out an indoor golf center during the winter, I made friends with two apprentice pros and would hang out with them, playing games with them in the chipping/putting areas, and one of them was always making fun of my "cutting across" the ball on my down swing - had I stopped to think about my back deformity then, it might have saved me a lot of grief.

As for your back issues, I'm certainly [b][i]not[/i][/b] a trained doctor, but every orthopedic specialist's opinion I've ever heard of the golf swing highly, [i]highly[/i] recommends a more erect posture to reduce strain on the lower back and to swing freely, meaning letting the hips move even to the point of allowing the leading heel to detach. I call it [i]"the shoulders leading the hips, then the hips leading the shoulders."[/i]

If you're not doing that already, it might be something to look into.

Best,

DJ

DJ,

Please. Pretty pretty please, in fact, post something that would give you some shred of evidence to your credibility. I, and many others, are trying to figure out what a "swing researcher" means. You could be an idiot savant with the swing, or merely a crazy guy with a swing video library and a keyboard. What have you accomplished teaching or playing wise that should make anyone want to listen to you? As it stands, I'm comfortable publicly stating that I believe I could give you 3 a side and wax you based off what I see. Can you prove me wrong? Lee Trevino said he'd never take a lesson from someone who couldn't beat him, so what gives you the basis of cutting down pretty much every modern instructor?

Please know that since I am bored, you can expect me to intrude as much as you do until I get an answer. I will post in your threads everyday requesting this information until evidential proof of your abilities is provided. I will annoy you and your alter-ego and/or friend cowpie to the point of frustration, as you've so freely done with this board.

Game on.

Hi SPIF,

I have been primarily focused on swing theory, so you'd likely beat me at scoring golf right now as I'm just transitioning to playing golf from just the swing. In golf swing circles, you'll find a few people who might know me. This is me here on Harrison Shafts page on long drive:

I don't know why you would need any proof of anything I've accomplished as what I say about the swing either stands by itself or doesn't. That said, I've worked with mainly the average person looking to improve their swings.

I've helped a PGA of America teaching pro who actually won POY in his section before coming to ask me for swing help. I've had a former Remax Long Drive Champion read my analysis on his swing and who contacted me to tell me he'd made a change I recommended and improved his consistency. These are not people I'll name, because I didn't recruit them, they read things I'd written on the swing and felt I knew a little something.

People ask me for assistance when they see what I can do swinging a club. It's that simple. If a guy can hit a 5 iron straighter and longer than you or hit drives over 300 yards, well beyond that, in fact - and he's saying something about the swing, then it might intrigue you.

Best,

DJ

I would say that DJ probably flies a drive 100 yards past Foley, something that would have Butch Harmon leaking into his Depends. I would never want to study with some guy who couldn't perform or hadn't demonstrated that he could perform on a superior level.

No offense but that is a ridiculous standard. Being a great player doesn't necessarily correlate into being a great teacher, and vice versa.

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1397670172' post='9105095']
[quote name='ruddermayhem' timestamp='1397669274' post='9105003']
[/quote]

I was wondering what the beef was too.[b] I mean he's not saying everyone is wrong and he is the only one with the magic[/b]. He's a golf geek like the rest of us.

[/quote]

Is the bold serious? Because I have to respectfully disagree if so. If you look at all his previous threads, you will see that telling everyone they are wrong and he is right is precisely what he was doing. Look, guys, I agree in general not to give people a hard time for no reason, but in this case I just don't see that happening. DJ has been and continues to make extraordinary claims regarding golf instruction and the modern swing. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. All we are saying is that he needs to do a better job of explaining his position if he is going to take make these pronouncements. And, to be honest, isn't it better that people are calling him out? If real teachers who make their living teaching disagree with DJ, then maybe its better that they make this known so less experienced golfers don't take everything DJ says for total truth.

Look, DJ has called himself a "researcher" all along and says he wants his peers to voice their opinions of his ideas. That's what is happening here. If you want everyone to agree with anyone who posts anything about the golf swing just because they are a nice guy (and I agree, DJ is a very nice guy), this probably isn't a great board for that. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here who aren't afraid to disagree when they think it is necessary, and that's what makes this board so awesome.
[/quote]

Hi bph7, I've actually evolved since first beginning to post on this forum - I will grant you that when I first posted, I may have written in a manner that gave the impression "I'm right and they're all wrong." It's only natural when you believe something strongly to believe you're right. I've learned something about posting and style and wording every time I've posted something, and the first thing I've learned is that no one is absolutely right or wrong about anything, and so I now avoid making statements like that.

I now try to simply give my opinion on something, and why I think that. No one's perfect, and I certainly am not. I can only try to improve the quality of my postings. I think there's enough room on this huge forum for little old DJ and his swing thoughts, and I try to stay out of other peoples' threads. I figure if what I have to say is of any interest, I'll be able to talk about the swing with people. But I can't take back what I've already said, I can only say, [i]"This is how I see it,"[/i] and try to be respectful of others.

I've found that it's not what is being said sometimes, but how it is said that gives the right or wrong impression. I won't ever claim to have [i]"discovered"[/i] anything [i](it would be more accurate to say certain old concepts are still valid and should be discussed, like the erect stance)[/i], and if I gave that impression, I will say now that it was badly written and not my intent.

Hopefully it won't take me too long to get the hang of it.

Best,

DJ

DJ,

Game on.

Hi SPIF,

Best,

DJ

Hi Bobby Dollar,

I would say in response to your comment that one does expect a certain degree of competence from a teacher or coach. Now, I don't think Ben Johnson's coach could ever have beaten him, but his coach was a former national-level sprinter in his own day, and had a lot of technical knowledge combined with his own ability to make him a great coach.

I wouldn't beat the average long-drive competitor, but being able to hit 320-350 yard drives with store-bought clubs when I don't work out or do anything more to work on my swing than just hitting balls - that's technique with whatever athletic ability I possess. And so like I said, one of the best emails I ever got was from a former Remax Champion who read a critique of his swing sent to him, made a change I'd suggested and contacted me to tell me his striking was dramatically improved with regards to consistency if not distance.

Bubba Watson says he'd never take a lesson from someone who couldn't beat him on the course. That takes out every coach he'll ever possibly have, I imagine.

Somewhere, if you mix the right amount of ability, performance with technical knowledge, you'll get what you need.

I won't have a pro or scratch golfer that I help ask me about playing the course or what club to use - that's the game - but when an aspiring tournament player or someone with game has a question on the swing, I am happy to offer my opinion.

The problem I run into is when I see a reputed swing instructor talk about the swing, and then I see his swing, and I say to myself, "What was that?" That's why I'll put my swing up for people to see, because my swing is my swing and people can judge for themselves if I know anything about the swing or not.

And leave poor Butch alone! ;)

Best,

DJ

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397671018' post='9105235']
Hi bph7, I've actually evolved since first beginning to post on this forum - I will grant you that when I first posted, I may have written in a manner that gave the impression "I'm right and they're all wrong." It's only natural when you believe something strongly to believe you're right. I've learned something about posting and style and wording every time I've posted something, and the first thing I've learned is that no one is absolutely right or wrong about anything, and so I now avoid making statements like that.
[/quote]

DJ, I agree that you have improved in this regard...

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1397672015' post='9105367']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with HitEmTrue on this as well. DJ, I think there absolutely is room for your posts on here, just know that if people disagree or have legitimate questions about what you are advocating, they are gonna say so.

[/quote]

[/quote]

HitEmTrue,

I appreciate you acknowledging that, as I am very aware of how I started off. I'm not here to step on toes, everyone has their way of looking at the swing, I'm only here to share my own views and hope to keep improving my delivery of them.

Regards,

DJ

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1397672261' post='9105397']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with HitEmTrue on this as well. DJ, I think there absolutely is room for your posts on here, just know that if people disagree or have legitimate questions about what you are advocating, they are gonna say so.
[/quote]

bph7,

I fully expect people to challenge anything I say with which they disagree. I spend my entire day at times disagreeing with something a well-known instructor has said. But I shouldn't, if I have done so, imply that X knows nothing.

At any rate, I've suffered through a very long and cold winter, perhaps the cabin fever was affecting my writing when I began posting here, but it's spring and I just want to enjoy discussing the golf swing with people!

Best,

DJ

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1397661249' post='9104085']
DJ I forgot to ask...what's your swing speed with the driver?

Have you ever gone on trackman or some similar device? Would be great to see your numbers!
[/quote]

tembolo,

My apologies, I missed the first part of your question, I only saw the reference to Trackman.

I register in the mid-to-high 120's on my SSR with my [i]"playing golf"[/i] swing and can get it up into the 130's when I go after it. The last simulator I hit balls on had me at 135 mph with 190 mph ball speed and 350 yard drives on the monitor [i](averaging my five longest drives)[/i].

I don't buy the speed numbers on many monitors, because I believe there are other factors to long driving than just club speed, and I've absolutely pelted drives at the range that went miles, yet when I glanced at the SSR, I was at 120 or around there. I've driven the ball playing on the golf course 350 yards and around there many times, but I don't believe I've ever had a 135 mph swing when I did or do so now. With a good impact on the sweet spot, the right loft and the right attack angle, I think you can drive it way longer than the charts indicate you can with X swing speed.

I'll try to get some Trackman numbers, but I really just go by raw distance and trajectory to judge my swing.

Best,

DJ

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397668805' post='9104941']
DJ,

In what direction does your spine curve? I am curious because mine curves right such that when I try to stand straight, my right shoulder is lower than my left. I would be interested if some of your adjustments would help me.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Hi albiefresh,

And to make a dark joke, I wish I had your curve! Mine is the other way, it curves to the left with a spiral, so my left shoulder is not only lower than my right, my hips angle to the left as well as my shoulders if I stand up straight with my feet together. So I have to drop my right foot back from the line to bring my shoulders to square, and I have to have my right arm bent at address.

That sets me up to make a swing, and even then, I can't get into the "slot" that most other golfers can, I can only swing freely with an action that gives me a very OTT-looking action.

I considered switching to lefty this past winter, so that I'd have the opposite effect of being set up with the spine curve going with the spine tilt I wanted, but after a few swings, my back told me to forget it, and I listened! I'm not interested in winding up in traction.

For you, I imagine you find that you have a very inside-to-out down swing and likely either push-hook or just block everything, am I correct?

If that's not what's going on, could you tell me what happens when you swing and how you're set up?

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

George Knudson wrote in his book, 'Natural Golf swing' that his right leg was 5/8 inch shorter than his left and for that reason he had his right foot back in 'closed' position in order to balance and feel level.

If trail side is lower it is as if your hitting up hill.

Check his videos. Appears to me he drew his right foot back at least four inches.

[quote name='no where to look' timestamp='1397673586' post='9105527']
DJ,

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Hi albiefresh,

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

George Knudson wrote in his book, 'Natural Golf swing' that his right leg was 5/8 inch shorter than his left and for that reason he had his right foot back in 'closed' position in order to balance and feel level.

Check his videos. Appears to me he drew his right foot back at least four inches.
[/quote]

nowhere, I love George Knudson's swing - then again, he was Canadian, as with Moe Norman. I actually met Knudson's son at a driving range down the street from where I live, he was a teaching pro there for a while.

You've actually hit on a great visual I used to give people - when you feel like you're hitting a shot uphill, you'll really get that shallow attack angle with the driver and you can hit high mile-long floaters that seem to never want to come down!

Best,

DJ

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397673875' post='9105549']
[quote name='no where to look' timestamp='1397673586' post='9105527']
DJ,

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Hi albiefresh,

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

[/quote]

nowhere, I love George Knudson's swing - then again, he was Canadian, as with Moe Norman. I actually met Knudson's son at a driving range down the street from where I live, he was a teaching pro there for a while.

You've actually hit on a great visual I used to give people - when you feel like you're hitting a shot uphill, you'll really get that shallow attack angle with the driver and you can hit high mile-long floaters that seem to never want to come down!

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

o another Canadian , EH

DJ,

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Hi albiefresh,

Best,

DJ
[/quote]
Thanks for your response. I kind of suspected yours was opposite because of what you described, but wanted to make sure.

I enjoy your posts and some of the things you have mentioned have helped my game recently. Keep sharing your thoughts.

Mr DJ is talking about hitting on about a 5 degree up angle. This will yield more distance, no question. Its also hitting inside to out. Most tour players actually hit down on the ball at impact by -1 degree. Woods is a famous digger. He would make more progress on his way to China with a good shovel from the Home Depot. Nicklaus was a sweeper who swept even many of his irons right off the surface and definitely hit huge,high fades on the upswing.
Now the question of swing preachers. The problem nowadays is that just like lemmings they tend to run crazy in bunchs. The 'PGA Schools' whatever that means, teach an institutionized method. Good luck with that. It means comfort in numbers. Comfort in conformity. Blistering attacks against nonconformity. Note Faldo and Faxon barely disguising their contempt for Watson during the coverage. Their condescending attitude towards his swing as if he was violating a law. Chamblee was and remains the only one to stand forth and speak truth to this tyranny. He said point blank that the open,free swing with high hands and big circumference and good leverage like the classic swings yields great results and avoids injury. He has repeatedly criticized Woods and others for crimping their natural style, shortening their swings and trying artificially to maximize torque. Personally I think that teaching is a big money industry, you didn't see 'coaches' out on practice ranges at majors in the 60s,70s or 80s. Its a joke and it has created its own theme of need and dependence. Its a for profit industry that sells the viewer on the idea of a lifetime of costly tinkering with his swing that only in most cases will benefit the golf industry. I feel the same way about Trackman. Its a revenue machine more than anything else, just look at how it is being used. People are gullible, they want to be led, they want to be told and they want to surrender their own responsibility and power to a computer and or a 'teacher'. Its Nanny Golf. If I ever wanted a teacher the first thing I would ask the guy to do is take his shirt off in public. If he is too embarassed to do that because he's a potato troll with stick arms and a pot belly than I ask what in hell is he doing teaching a sport?