2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

DJ Watts' Swing Principles/Philosophy

DJ Watts

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1397678528' post='9106085']
[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1397664723' post='9104479']
So, on this board, the reality is simple: If you don't want to be called out, then BE RIGHT MORE AND WRONG LESS.
[/quote]

LOL, classic.
[/quote]

Oh, I dunno...this thread seems a lot more credible than the other. I do not think he is intending to be a troll at all now. I may not buy a lot of the philosophy but I do respect that he seems to have the strength of his convictions and is answering questions but not allowing himself to be drug into a senseless debate as some others seem prone to do solely for the sake of argument. (Not everybody mind you, but there are one or two that do that).

famous quote: "There is nothing new under the sun, for all is vanity".

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397673875' post='9105549']
[quote name='no where to look' timestamp='1397673586' post='9105527']
[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397668805' post='9104941']
[quote name='albiefresh' timestamp='1397667830' post='9104859']
DJ,

In what direction does your spine curve? I am curious because mine curves right such that when I try to stand straight, my right shoulder is lower than my left. I would be interested if some of your adjustments would help me.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Hi albiefresh,

And to make a dark joke, I wish I had your curve! Mine is the other way, it curves to the left with a spiral, so my left shoulder is not only lower than my right, my hips angle to the left as well as my shoulders if I stand up straight with my feet together. So I have to drop my right foot back from the line to bring my shoulders to square, and I have to have my right arm bent at address.

That sets me up to make a swing, and even then, I can't get into the "slot" that most other golfers can, I can only swing freely with an action that gives me a very OTT-looking action.

I considered switching to lefty this past winter, so that I'd have the opposite effect of being set up with the spine curve going with the spine tilt I wanted, but after a few swings, my back told me to forget it, and I listened! I'm not interested in winding up in traction.

For you, I imagine you find that you have a very inside-to-out down swing and likely either push-hook or just block everything, am I correct?

If that's not what's going on, could you tell me what happens when you swing and how you're set up?

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

George Knudson wrote in his book, 'Natural Golf swing' that his right leg was 5/8 inch shorter than his left and for that reason he had his right foot back in 'closed' position in order to balance and feel level.

If trail side is lower it is as if your hitting up hill.

Check his videos. Appears to me he drew his right foot back at least four inches.
[/quote]

nowhere, I love George Knudson's swing - then again, he was Canadian, as with Moe Norman. I actually met Knudson's son at a driving range down the street from where I live, he was a teaching pro there for a while.

You've actually hit on a great visual I used to give people - when you feel like you're hitting a shot uphill, you'll really get that shallow attack angle with the driver and you can hit high mile-long floaters that seem to never want to come down!

Best,

DJ
[/quote]
Dj,

A quote from The Science of hitting, by Ted Williams: that I think applies also to the golf swing. BTW Ted wasn't a Canadian.LOL

"To maintain your length of stroke, you must close our stance in proportion to the distance you have moved the back foot away. In other words, to keep everything constant you must rotate the whole stance around bring your lead foot in as move your back foot away.

... moving around in this manner gives you roughly two feet more room in back to wait for the pitch. And of course it virtually eliminates the pulled ball.
The reverse is obvious: the closer your back foot to the plate, the more you have to open up the lead foot. This gives you less time because you will be hitting the ball farther out front... the more you open up, the more you make yourself pull."

[quote name='no where to look' timestamp='1397681689' post='9106429']
Dj,

A quote from The Science of hitting, by Ted Williams: that I think applies also to the golf swing. BTW Ted wasn't a Canadian.LOL

"To maintain your length of stroke, you must close our stance in proportion to the distance you have moved the back foot away. In other words, to keep everything constant you must rotate the whole stance around bring your lead foot in as move your back foot away.

... moving around in this manner gives you roughly two feet more room in back to wait for the pitch. And of course it virtually eliminates the pulled ball.
The reverse is obvious: the closer your back foot to the plate, the more you have to open up the lead foot. This gives you less time because you will be hitting the ball farther out front... the more you open up, the more you make yourself pull."
[/quote]

NoWhere,

That is pretty good stuff there. I look at the baseball swing much like the golf swing, and I used to swing a pretty decent bat when I was a kid. Different attack angle, but I've come to view the driver swing especially as simply a baseball swing to hit a ball while staying back, that's low and away off the tip of the bat.

Best,

DJ

[quote name='BobbieDollar' timestamp='1397677681' post='9105995']
Mr DJ is talking about hitting on about a 5 degree up angle. This will yield more distance, no question. Its also hitting inside to out. Most tour players actually hit down on the ball at impact by -1 degree. Woods is a famous digger. He would make more progress on his way to China with a good shovel from the Home Depot. Nicklaus was a sweeper who swept even many of his irons right off the surface and definitely hit huge,high fades on the upswing.
Now the question of swing preachers. The problem nowadays is that just like lemmings they tend to run crazy in bunchs. The 'PGA Schools' whatever that means, teach an institutionized method. Good luck with that. It means comfort in numbers. Comfort in conformity. Blistering attacks against nonconformity. Note Faldo and Faxon barely disguising their contempt for Watson during the coverage. Their condescending attitude towards his swing as if he was violating a law. Chamblee was and remains the only one to stand forth and speak truth to this tyranny. He said point blank that the open,free swing with high hands and big circumference and good leverage like the classic swings yields great results and avoids injury. He has repeatedly criticized Woods and others for crimping their natural style, shortening their swings and trying artificially to maximize torque. Personally I think that teaching is a big money industry, you didn't see 'coaches' out on practice ranges at majors in the 60s,70s or 80s. Its a joke and it has created its own theme of need and dependence. Its a for profit industry that sells the viewer on the idea of a lifetime of costly tinkering with his swing that only in most cases will benefit the golf industry. I feel the same way about Trackman. Its a revenue machine more than anything else, just look at how it is being used. People are gullible, they want to be led, they want to be told and they want to surrender their own responsibility and power to a computer and or a 'teacher'. Its Nanny Golf. If I ever wanted a teacher the first thing I would ask the guy to do is take his shirt off in public. If he is too embarassed to do that because he's a potato troll with stick arms and a pot belly than I ask what in hell is he doing teaching a sport?
[/quote]

Now that's a rant! I'll bite - given the amount of sacrifice it takes to be a teaching pro, paying your dues etc, I'd like to think the majority out there teach for the passion of doing so. Some at the high level or of the online quick fix are financially motivated yes, but show me any industry that doesn't have bad apples...

And given your contempt for teaching, you should praise trackman for cutting through any smoke and mirrors, it's pure physics no-one can hide from.

Better instruction along with technology is one of the reasons tour fields have so much strength in depth these days. Back in the day with little instruction those who dug it out of the dirt with success dominated, while the rest fought their games from time to time. It is much much harder to become a breakaway legend now

And since when did golf require one to be an athlete? If Craig Stadler wanted to talk shop on golf I'd listen. Moe Norman, Darren Clarke at his peak, Daly etc etc

DJ is talking about [u]his[/u] swing in this thread. That's awesome! DJ gets a hard time in some of his other threads because he brings pro swings into his theories about his swing and they don't appear to be well thought out; actually quite random.

This is a good thread DJ as it is your thoughts about your swing. I hope you keep it that way as there is much to learn for those who are interested...

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397681844' post='9106447']
Dj,

[/quote]

NoWhere,

That is pretty good stuff there. I look at the baseball swing much like the golf swing, and I used to swing a pretty decent bat when I was a kid. Different attack angle, [b]but I've come to view the driver swing especially as simply a baseball swing to hit a ball while staying back,[/b] that's low and away off the tip of the bat.

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

DJ, (and anyone else)

Do you view the driver swing to be different than an iron swing?

I often hear the phrase "one swing, fourteen clubs", but I'm starting to view irons/fairway woods (metals) vs. driver swings as two completely different animals...

[quote name='BobbieDollar' timestamp='1397677681' post='9105995']
Mr DJ is talking about hitting on about a 5 degree up angle. This will yield more distance, no question. Its also hitting inside to out. Most tour players actually hit down on the ball at impact by -1 degree. Woods is a famous digger. He would make more progress on his way to China with a good shovel from the Home Depot. Nicklaus was a sweeper who swept even many of his irons right off the surface and definitely hit huge,high fades on the upswing.
Now the question of swing preachers. The problem nowadays is that just like lemmings they tend to run crazy in bunchs. The 'PGA Schools' whatever that means, teach an institutionized method. Good luck with that. It means comfort in numbers. Comfort in conformity. Blistering attacks against nonconformity. Note Faldo and Faxon barely disguising their contempt for Watson during the coverage. Their condescending attitude towards his swing as if he was violating a law. Chamblee was and remains the only one to stand forth and speak truth to this tyranny. He said point blank that the open,free swing with high hands and big circumference and good leverage like the classic swings yields great results and avoids injury. He has repeatedly criticized Woods and others for crimping their natural style, shortening their swings and trying artificially to maximize torque. Personally I think that teaching is a big money industry, you didn't see 'coaches' out on practice ranges at majors in the 60s,70s or 80s. Its a joke and it has created its own theme of need and dependence. Its a for profit industry that sells the viewer on the idea of a lifetime of costly tinkering with his swing that only in most cases will benefit the golf industry. I feel the same way about Trackman. Its a revenue machine more than anything else, just look at how it is being used. People are gullible, they want to be led, they want to be told and they want to surrender their own responsibility and power to a computer and or a 'teacher'. Its Nanny Golf. If I ever wanted a teacher the first thing I would ask the guy to do is take his shirt off in public. If he is too embarassed to do that because he's a potato troll with stick arms and a pot belly than I ask what in hell is he doing teaching a sport?
[/quote]

Hall of Fame post! :good:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1397702102' post='9108877']
[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1397698241' post='9108279']
Am curious, was Jack Nicklaus a goat humper? Been looking at some videos and to me it appears he was but don't trust my abilities as quality goat hump detector.
[/quote]

No
[/quote]

He certainly lost tush line at least a little bit in the downswing...whether you want to call that a goat hump is probably more up for debate.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1397713728' post='9109823']
Am curious, was Jack Nicklaus a goat humper? Been looking at some videos and to me it appears he was but don't trust my abilities as quality goat hump detector.
[/quote]

No
[/quote]

He certainly lost tush line at least a little bit in the downswing...whether you want to call that a goat hump is probably more up for debate.
[/quote]

Thanks. I am not buying into this whole goat humping phobia. Off to find me a goat.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBhlkNKjO6s[/media]

Imagine how great Jack could of been if he ever got his tushy correct?

Looks awesome dj .. Most of these guys never even play golf . You are on the Nicklaus " neck plane" , and who will debate the record of Nicklaus? Play your game and your game only . You go to any amateur mini tour event and you will see a million swings . The big difference is they aren't posting a million times a day like us, they are out playing the game and using what works for them . I've only been here for a short time, and I treat this as a place to read some cute funny posts and add my 2 cents where I can . You can't learn a game online (fact) but you do learn the game on a real golf course . You have a perfecto motion, no go out and enjoy yourself. This all comes down to a " look" vs a working " motion". What would you guys choose look? Or a working a motion? I choose working motion

Regards my friends
Craig Foster III

Mr 8 iron .. I retaliate your comment to DJ with the infamous wrx "redline" with my niblick mashie I picked up at a local auction last week . Those funny redines / arrows / blue lines are useless when it comes to really playing scoring golf . Your post made me laugh so loud that I spilled some of my morning latte on my new jogging suit . Now I have to change so I can take my pug trixie out for her daily morning jaunt thru the park

Amusing ! The fabled red line of wrx..

Regards Craig Foster III

[quote name='oikos1' timestamp='1397698699' post='9108355']
[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397681844' post='9106447']
Dj,

[/quote]

NoWhere,

That is pretty good stuff there. I look at the baseball swing much like the golf swing, and I used to swing a pretty decent bat when I was a kid. Different attack angle, [b]but I've come to view the driver swing especially as simply a baseball swing to hit a ball while staying back,[/b] that's low and away off the tip of the bat.

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

DJ, (and anyone else)

Do you view the driver swing to be different than an iron swing?

I often hear the phrase "one swing, fourteen clubs", but I'm starting to view irons/fairway woods (metals) vs. driver swings as two completely different animals...
[/quote]

Hi oikos,

I have the same swing motion with the clubs, although I do vary it slightly for the difference in the clubs. With the Driver, I'm catching it level or on the slightly ascending angle, so my spine tilt might be a little more pronounced than with the wedge swing.

If I tilted my spine that much to the right for a wedge or short iron, I'd hit it fat, but the ball is teed up with the Driver and I can actually hit my Driver fat if the tee isn't long enough. If you've seen my Driver address set up, I've got a good backward lean in the shaft, which allows me to use a lower lofted Driver and still hit high drives. Less spin, longer carry.

With the wedges and irons, I don't tilt my spine as much, even though my swing bottom is past the ball. I like a shallow divot unless I have to change that for some reason. That gives me higher trajectory with those clubs as there isn't a huge forward shaft lean, and I have a high enough club speed that the higher launch doesn't affect my distance.

Hope that helps!

DJ

[quote name='Craig foster' timestamp='1397731890' post='9110205']
Looks awesome dj .. Most of these guys never even play golf . You are on the Nicklaus " neck plane" , and who will debate the record of Nicklaus? Play your game and your game only . You go to any amateur mini tour event and you will see a million swings . The big difference is they aren't posting a million times a day like us, they are out playing the game and using what works for them . I've only been here for a short time, and I treat this as a place to read some cute funny posts and add my 2 cents where I can . You can't learn a game online (fact) but you do learn the game on a real golf course . You have a perfecto motion, no go out and enjoy yourself. This all comes down to a " look" vs a working " motion". What would you guys choose look? Or a working a motion? I choose working motion

Regards my friends
Craig Foster III
[/quote]

Thank you Craig! I appreciate your comments and messages. My action gives me what I've been looking for - distance and accuracy with high repeatability. I think I'll stick with it.

Best,

DJ

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1397657383' post='9103605']
[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397657218' post='9103589']
[quote name='dirthead' timestamp='1397656838' post='9103535']
DJ, I think one problem some of us are having is that hitting balls on a driving range and actually playing golf at a tournament level are two totally different things. Playing competitively, under pressure, will cause your body/swing to do all sorts of things. You try to develop a swing that is consistent from the driving range to the course, and that will hold up under the pressure of tournament play. No offense here, so please don't take it that way, but since you admit to only really hitting balls on the driving range, and not really playing golf, and especially not playing tournament golf, some of us have a hard time really taking anything you say seriously. I'm not saying that out of disrespect. I think your intentions are good and I commend you for your efforts. However, the leap from hitting it pure on the driving range to playing tournament golf is HUGE. They are two totally different things. You just don't realize how big the leap us unless you have experienced it yourself.

You are comparing the swings of tour pros, who have found something that works for them under tournament pressure, to your driving range swing. If you go to a tour event and watch any of the pros hit on the range, they all hit it pure. One perfect shot after another. Put them on the course, some perform better than others. Your ideas would be given a lot more credit if you had some tournament credentials to back them up. Again, no offense, I admire your effort and passion.
[/quote]

Hi dirthead - that is exactly (you're saying) why I started studying the swing and other swingers - before, I never could take my range swing to the course because I was practicing positions that weren't the way I naturally was built to swing. I haven't played since last autumn, but last year, my swing finally began to move from the range to the course, and I was able to finally hit the shots on the course that I hit on the range.

I agree with full with you, the range is a different world from the course. What I worked on was making my swing as solid with certain principles as I could, and then I would go play the course.

As to your point on tournament play, that's what I'll be doing this year, but you can't do both at once. You either study the swing or you play. When you play, you go with what you have. A whole different world from raking over another ball and saying [i]"let me try that again..."[/i]

So, this year I'll be doing different things.

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

Very cool DJ I wish you the best of luck! I'd be curious to see if any of your principles change once you go through moments where you have a lump in your throat from the high pressure. I hope you get rich quickly ;)
[/quote]

tembolo, I've been thinking about what you said regarding the pressure and the lump in the throat - that's something I've missed while working on and studying the swing. Can't wait to get going, actually.

I thought you might find this amusing - I played in a charity scramble last summer and didn't do too badly driving and ball-striking-wise - granted it was not actually competitive, but even in a scramble, when everyone's looking at you to hammer another one down the pipe - I'm telling you, it's awesome!

Seeing it was a charity event, the 4-par holes were largely reachable (320-350) with big drives, so I went for it on just about all of them and took that camera out a few times for the guys back home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5zEolZ2z8U

Just a note: I shot this video while walking during the tourney, with a mind to sharing it with those I work with, so the tone is very glib and a little gloating, only to stick it to them when they watched it. I like to talk a little trash when I play, all in good fun.

It'll be a different world when money is on the line however!

Best,

DJ

DJ, much better thread. I like it. Serious question. Can you describe the shape if your spine. I have a kid that played for LSU and just transferes to TCU who has severe scoliosis. When the US Amateur was at Cherry Hills he made the round of 16. Just wondering how his compares to yours and how the swings might differ due to different shape of the spine. His goes left to right at the bottom then right to left at the top.

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1397725554' post='9110093']
[/quote]

No
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks. I am not buying into this whole goat humping phobia. Off to find me a goat.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBhlkNKjO6s[/media]

Imagine how great Jack could of been if he ever got his tushy correct?
[/quote]

Why does the goat herder like to bang his goats on the edge of a cliff? Give up?

Because on the edge of a cliff the goat pushes back.

:hi: That is all Danke!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397743038' post='9111079']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1397657383' post='9103605']
[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397657218' post='9103589']
[quote name='dirthead' timestamp='1397656838' post='9103535']
DJ, I think one problem some of us are having is that hitting balls on a driving range and actually playing golf at a tournament level are two totally different things. Playing competitively, under pressure, will cause your body/swing to do all sorts of things. You try to develop a swing that is consistent from the driving range to the course, and that will hold up under the pressure of tournament play. No offense here, so please don't take it that way, but since you admit to only really hitting balls on the driving range, and not really playing golf, and especially not playing tournament golf, some of us have a hard time really taking anything you say seriously. I'm not saying that out of disrespect. I think your intentions are good and I commend you for your efforts. However, the leap from hitting it pure on the driving range to playing tournament golf is HUGE. They are two totally different things. You just don't realize how big the leap us unless you have experienced it yourself.

You are comparing the swings of tour pros, who have found something that works for them under tournament pressure, to your driving range swing. If you go to a tour event and watch any of the pros hit on the range, they all hit it pure. One perfect shot after another. Put them on the course, some perform better than others. Your ideas would be given a lot more credit if you had some tournament credentials to back them up. Again, no offense, I admire your effort and passion.
[/quote]

Hi dirthead - that is exactly (you're saying) why I started studying the swing and other swingers - before, I never could take my range swing to the course because I was practicing positions that weren't the way I naturally was built to swing. I haven't played since last autumn, but last year, my swing finally began to move from the range to the course, and I was able to finally hit the shots on the course that I hit on the range.

I agree with full with you, the range is a different world from the course. What I worked on was making my swing as solid with certain principles as I could, and then I would go play the course.

As to your point on tournament play, that's what I'll be doing this year, but you can't do both at once. You either study the swing or you play. When you play, you go with what you have. A whole different world from raking over another ball and saying [i]"let me try that again..."[/i]

So, this year I'll be doing different things.

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

Very cool DJ I wish you the best of luck! I'd be curious to see if any of your principles change once you go through moments where you have a lump in your throat from the high pressure. I hope you get rich quickly ;)
[/quote]

tembolo, I've been thinking about what you said regarding the pressure and the lump in the throat - that's something I've missed while working on and studying the swing. Can't wait to get going, actually.

I thought you might find this amusing - I played in a charity scramble last summer and didn't do too badly driving and ball-striking-wise - granted it was not actually competitive, but even in a scramble, when everyone's looking at you to hammer another one down the pipe - I'm telling you, it's awesome!

Seeing it was a charity event, the 4-par holes were largely reachable (320-350) with big drives, so I went for it on just about all of them and took that camera out a few times for the guys back home.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5zEolZ2z8U[/media]

Just a note: I shot this video while walking during the tourney, with a mind to sharing it with those I work with, so the tone is very glib and a little gloating, only to stick it to them when they watched it. I like to talk a little trash when I play, all in good fun.

It'll be a different world when money is on the line however!

Best,

DJ
[/quote]

Very nice sir! Ultimate Porkage!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[/quote]

No
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is no stall + package thrust / backout though. His hips kept rotating. Completely different.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1397744593' post='9111263']
[/quote]

No
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is no stall + package thrust / blackout though. His hips kept rotating. Completely different.
[/quote]

You'll all have to forgive me. I don't have much to do with farm animals, exactly what does this term refer to? A position? A motion? I have no clue what this discussion is about, and that may be a good thing.

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397747275' post='9111595']
[/quote]

No
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is no stall + package thrust / blackout though. His hips kept rotating. Completely different.
[/quote]

You'll all have to forgive me. I don't have much to do with farm animals, exactly what does this term refer to? A position? A motion? I have no clue what this discussion is about, and that may be a good thing.
[/quote]

Early extension

(edit) or losing the tush line.

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1397747401' post='9111619']
[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397747275' post='9111595']
[/quote]

No
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Early extension

(edit) or losing the tush line.
[/quote]

So it means more than one thing? Sorry, I have only seen this reference on this forum. Thanks HitEmTrue

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1397748285' post='9111731']
I see, bph - and what is the result of this particular move? Less power? Less accuracy?
[/quote]

Both of those...and a pregnant goat.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*