2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Columbus Golf

Reif

I tried to piece together a list of good Columbus golf courses from the Ohio thread, but it was pretty cumbersome.

My hope for this thread would be people commenting on the best places to play for us out of towners.

I'm going to play Longaberger tomorrow because I've played there before and really liked it.

I know it's a pretty good drive for Columbus (about an hour from downtown), but I'm staying downtown and making the drive, so it counts :-P

I've heard good things about Pinnacle, and I may have an in to play Hickory Hill sometime - any comments about those tracks?

Thanks.

Reif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Reif' timestamp='1408419966' post='9962643']
I tried to piece together a list of good Columbus golf courses from the Ohio thread, but it was pretty cumbersome.

My hope for this thread would be people commenting on the best places to play for us out of towners.

I'm going to play Longaberger tomorrow because I've played there before and really liked it.

I know it's a pretty good drive for Columbus (about an hour from downtown), but I'm staying downtown and making the drive, so it counts :-P

I've heard good things about Pinnacle, and I may have an in to play Hickory Hill sometime - any comments about those tracks?

Thanks.

Reif
[/quote]

Public my list is as follows:

Longaberger
Northstar
Winding Hollow
Raintree South (Formerly known as Cook's Creek)
Blacklick Woods (solely because I like the course and it's a great value... not necessarily the 5th best public course in town but a fun track to play that's relatively cheap)

Then if you get into private courses there are a whole slew of significantly better options... but it depends on what you can get on. Pinnacle and Hickory Hills are both private. I am a member a Hickory Hills and personally love the course. It's not one of the top 5 or even one of the top 10 private courses in Columbus (probably in the 10-15 range on the list) but it is a accessible private course with a very good, unique, tough layout and is always in great shape (sans the greenside bunkers). Hickory Hills will be as good as anything public you play (except maybe Longaberger). Pinnacle is a great track. Somewhere in the 5-10 range on the list of best private courses in Columbus depending on your opinion. If you can get on it, do it. I think it's better than anything public in the Columbus area.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

On a side note, I would offer to take you out to Hickory but my schedule is pretty shot for the foreseeable future with travel, weddings, a couple tournaments, etc.

I also hope as people play some of these courses they comment on the current conditions.

Played Longaberger today and it was in great shape.

That's a good golf course, I'd say worth the extra half hour or so each way if you really want to play golf.

I have to say I am surprised they don't put sand bottles on the carts - if there is a negative there are a lot of divots in the fairways.

I didn't hit any today, but it wouldn't shock me to end up in one or two in a round.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1408464846' post='9965549']
On a side note, I would offer to take you out to Hickory but my schedule is pretty shot for the foreseeable future with travel, weddings, a couple tournaments, etc.
[/quote]

Appreciate it.

I live in San Diego, but am in Columbus from time to time on business.

I'll drop you a note next time I know I'm going to be in town.

[quote name='Reif' timestamp='1408479743' post='9967543']
I also hope as people play some of these courses they comment on the current conditions.

Played Longaberger today and it was in great shape.

That's a good golf course, I'd say worth the extra half hour or so each way if you really want to play golf.

I have to say I am surprised they don't put sand bottles on the carts - if there is a negative there are a lot of divots in the fairways.

I didn't hit any today, but it wouldn't shock me to end up in one or two in a round.
[/quote]

We have had virtually perfect weather over the last few weeks so pretty much everything is in great shape right now. I haven't played many courses outside of Hickory Hills this year but from what I have played, it's all been in great shape. Hickory is the best its been in a couple of years.

[quote name='ddherman' timestamp='1408486142' post='9968199']
Riviera in Dublin is one of the nicer public courses. If you get a chance to play it this year, do it. Unfortunately it is supposedly being shut down at the end of the year in exchange for a bunch of new houses.
[/quote]

I did not know that Riviera is now public and that it is being shut down. Does anyone know if Jamrock is still being closed down for a housing development?

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1408487351' post='9968335']
Riviera in Dublin is one of the nicer public courses. If you get a chance to play it this year, do it. Unfortunately it is supposedly being shut down at the end of the year in exchange for a bunch of new houses.
[/quote]

I did not know that Riviera is now public and that it is being shut down. Does anyone know if Jamrock is still being closed down for a housing development?
[/quote]

If you are talking about Shamrock I have heard the same thing there. Not sure if they will finally follow through with both of these as they have been mentioning both for about 2 years now

[quote name='ddherman' timestamp='1408490500' post='9968605']
[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1408487351' post='9968335']
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you are talking about Shamrock I have heard the same thing there. Not sure if they will finally follow through with both of these as they have been mentioning both for about 2 years now
[/quote]

That course would actually be better off as a housing development. That place is a dump.

Glenross is a pretty decent track in Delaware. Not a good walking course--plenty of distance between green and the next tee--but well maintained, and affordable.

Re: Shamrock; played there a week or two ago. Yeah, it's too tight, and hardhats are required, but it's not that bad. It is closing after this season--the proshop is clearing out all of their apparel inventory pretty cheap.

Cobra Bio Cell
TM V-Steel 15* 3W and 18* 5W
TM Speedblade, 3-PW
TM ATV, 50, 54,58
Odyssey WHP #9

I'm a big fan of Darby Creek out in Marysville. The front is more of a links style and the back has some more trees. Hickory Hills is a great track too. I won a membership out there last year and had the best year of golf being it was free and always in good shape. Champions isn't a bad track for being city owned, I played it about a month ago and it was in decent shape.

Has anyone played New Albany Links or Clover Valley? I haven't played either in a while, the only thing I remember about New Albany Links are the greens were like concrete.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 3W, 3 Hybrid
TM Rocketballz Stage 1 4 Hybrid
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana
Titleist Vokey SM5 54 & 60

[quote name='UCBananaboy' timestamp='1408473842' post='9966751']
Haven't played there in years but Cumberland Trail in Pataskala was always one of my favorites.
[/quote]

I also like Cumberland and haven't played it in years but somebody told me the course was getting in pretty bad shape. The use to have really good greens but not so much now.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana

I was thinking about going out early Sunday morning and playing National Links in South Charleston and was wondering if anyone has played it recently so I could get a review. I like to walk so could someone let me know if it's easy or hard course to walk.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana

[quote name='lov2golf4' timestamp='1408714635' post='9986311']
I'm a big fan of Darby Creek out in Marysville. The front is more of a links style and the back has some more trees. Hickory Hills is a great track too. I won a membership out there last year and had the best year of golf being it was free and always in good shape. Champions isn't a bad track for being city owned, I played it about a month ago and it was in decent shape.

Has anyone played New Albany Links or Clover Valley? I haven't played either in a while, the only thing I remember about New Albany Links are the greens were like concrete.
[/quote]

I played NAL earlier this year and it was in good shape. It was raining when we played so I can't comment on the firmness of the greens. Everything was fairly soft and damp that day

[quote name='lov2golf4' timestamp='1408714717' post='9986329']
Haven't played there in years but Cumberland Trail in Pataskala was always one of my favorites.
[/quote]

I also like Cumberland and haven't played it in years but somebody told me the course was getting in pretty bad shape. The use to have really good greens but not so much now.
[/quote]

I played 9 there on wednesday afternoon. The greens were super slow due to the heavy rain in the early morning and the bunker greens on 9 were under repair but I thought it was ok considering the price. There were some ball marks on some of the greens but thats about all I really noticed.

Of course I've never played there before so I don't know what it used to be like.

[quote name='gmiller598' timestamp='1408804099' post='9992887']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I played 9 there on wednesday afternoon. The greens were super slow due to the heavy rain in the early morning and the bunker greens on 9 were under repair but I thought it was ok considering the price. There were some ball marks on some of the greens but thats about all I really noticed.

Of course I've never played there before so I don't know what it used to be like.
[/quote]

thanks for the info. I'm hoping today will dry out the course so the greens will be quicker.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana

We are going to come thru Columbus (a bit out of the way, but doing so purposely) on our way to West Virginia, and the way back. We planned on playing Pinnacle on the way out, but they have an outing the day we tried to schedule. We have played Longaberger a few times already so we were thinking of trying something new.....most likely private. Although one of the guys in our foursome hasn't played Longaberger yet, and he is hammering us to do so. Distance apart doesn't matter because we will be playing them different days on the way to and from Bridgeport WV. We can get on these listed (Pinnacle is out due to a outing and aerification on the two days).........Kinsale, Scioto Reserve, Tartan Fields, Rattlesnake Ridge, Scarlet Course, Hickory Hills, Jefferson and Wedgwood. If you were to pick two of these to play, strictly on the quality of the course....which would they be? I haven't played any of them so your opinion is appreciated.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1408813288' post='9993543']
We are going to come thru Columbus (a bit out of the way, but doing so purposely) on our way to West Virginia, and the way back. We planned on playing Pinnacle on the way out, but they have an outing the day we tried to schedule. We have played Longaberger a few times already so we were thinking of trying something new.....most likely private. Although one of the guys in our foursome hasn't played Longaberger yet, and he is hammering us to do so. Distance apart doesn't matter because we will be playing them different days on the way to and from Bridgeport WV. We can get on these listed (Pinnacle is out due to a outing and aerification on the two days).........Kinsale, Scioto Reserve, Tartan Fields, Rattlesnake Ridge, Scarlet Course, Hickory Hills, Jefferson and Wedgwood. If you were to pick two of these to play, strictly on the quality of the course....which would they be? I haven't played any of them so your opinion is appreciated.
[/quote][quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1408813288' post='9993543']
[/quote]

I've played Kinsale, Scioto Reserve, Scarlet Course just once and have played Hickory Hills multiple times and IMO I like Scarlet and Hickory Hills out of them because they aren't lined with houses. I liked Kinsale and SR probably SR a little more. Kinsale and SR a little more open then Scarlet and Hickory. I've heard Tartan Ridge is very nice and the same for Jefferson but I personally can't give you reviews on those courses since I've haven't played them. Hickory isn't that long of a course but makes up with the greens and shot placement that is needed.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana

Of the ones I've played, Kinsale, SR, OSU, and Wedgewood. I would say Wedgewood and OSU. Played Wedgewood recently and was in terrific shape, really nice piece of land for where it's located, lots of trees and good movement. Played Kinsale and SR countless times, always in good shape. SR has more trees and roll to the land. Kinsale is good for the property it is built on, lots of mounding humps and bumps everywhere but really no elevation change to speak of.Both have lots of houses on them, Kinsale more. Both are solid options. Only played Scarlet once but it is a brute, deep bunkers, good conditions all around. You can't go wrong with any of the 4 or the others that I haven't played either from what I hear. Enjoy!!!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I ended up playing National Links and was the 2nd person off on Sunday. Overall it's a really great value and you can play quickly because it wasn't busy. I paid $27 to walk 18 and the course was in good shape. I will give them the benefit of the doubt the reason the fairways weren't mowed was because of the rain we had recently as the course was fairly wet. Also the greens were slow but also due to all the rain we've had recently. They were a little bumpy but I'll chalk that up to the rain too. If it was the middle of summer with little rain I would expect them to be fairly quick. The only downside was the bunkers, every single one was flooded and even if they weren't flooded they wouldn't be in that great of shape. Overall for $27 to walk it's a really great value and pretty challenging. It's really one of the best values on that side of town. The tips measure out over 7200 yards and could be very challenging with some wind. I will definitely be going back.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana

[quote name='lov2golf4' timestamp='1408928859' post='10000247']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I ended up playing National Links and was the 2nd person off on Sunday. Overall it's a really great value and you can play quickly because it wasn't busy. I paid $27 to walk 18 and the course was in good shape. I will give them the benefit of the doubt the reason the fairways weren't mowed was because of the rain we had recently as the course was fairly wet. Also the greens were slow but also due to all the rain we've had recently. They were a little bumpy but I'll chalk that up to the rain too. If it was the middle of summer with little rain I would expect them to be fairly quick. The only downside was the bunkers, every single one was flooded and even if they weren't flooded they wouldn't be in that great of shape. Overall for $27 to walk it's a really great value and pretty challenging. It's really one of the best values on that side of town. The tips measure out over 7200 yards and could be very challenging with some wind. I will definitely be going back.
[/quote]

Yeah the rain really affected the courses over the weekend. The greens at Hickory this time of year are normally close to putting on glass. This weekend they are slow. Just straight up, slow. I didn't ask, but, they clearly weren't mowed, they were wet and until sunday afternoon they were very soft. I think they got like 2 inches of rain of thursday night/friday morning.