2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Columbus Golf

Reif

[quote name='saggysag' timestamp='1409280283' post='10028679']
played Winding Hallow and Muirfield last week. Both were amazing....very impressed with Winding Hallow- - -great tree lined, fun track.
[/quote]

Muirfield CC or Muirfield Village?

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A group (8) of us played The Club of Dublin last year. We all enjoyed our round. Played Longaberger on the same trip. We normally play in the Akron area but make a yearly (sometimes 2) sojourn to play different venues.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1409318499' post='10030181']
played Winding Hallow and Muirfield last week. Both were amazing....very impressed with Winding Hallow- - -great tree lined, fun track.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Muirfield Village - amazing experience

[quote name='saggysag' timestamp='1409328121' post='10031227']
[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1409318499' post='10030181']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Muirfield Village - amazing experience
[/quote]

That's awesome... It's been a couple of years since I've played there but it's always a special day. I'm pretty jealous

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1408813288' post='9993543']
We are going to come thru Columbus (a bit out of the way, but doing so purposely) on our way to West Virginia, and the way back. We planned on playing Pinnacle on the way out, but they have an outing the day we tried to schedule. We have played Longaberger a few times already so we were thinking of trying something new.....most likely private. Although one of the guys in our foursome hasn't played Longaberger yet, and he is hammering us to do so. Distance apart doesn't matter because we will be playing them different days on the way to and from Bridgeport WV. We can get on these listed (Pinnacle is out due to a outing and aerification on the two days).........Kinsale, Scioto Reserve, Tartan Fields, Rattlesnake Ridge, Scarlet Course, Hickory Hills, Jefferson and Wedgwood. If you were to pick two of these to play, strictly on the quality of the course....which would they be? I haven't played any of them so your opinion is appreciated.
[/quote]

Play Scarlet if you can because the the web.com event.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1408813288' post='9993543']
We are going to come thru Columbus (a bit out of the way, but doing so purposely) on our way to West Virginia, and the way back. We planned on playing Pinnacle on the way out, but they have an outing the day we tried to schedule. We have played Longaberger a few times already so we were thinking of trying something new.....most likely private. Although one of the guys in our foursome hasn't played Longaberger yet, and he is hammering us to do so. Distance apart doesn't matter because we will be playing them different days on the way to and from Bridgeport WV. We can get on these listed (Pinnacle is out due to a outing and aerification on the two days).........Kinsale, Scioto Reserve, Tartan Fields, Rattlesnake Ridge, Scarlet Course, Hickory Hills, Jefferson and Wedgwood. If you were to pick two of these to play, strictly on the quality of the course....which would they be? I haven't played any of them so your opinion is appreciated.
[/quote]

IDK how I just saw this but apparently I missed it... have you made this trip already? Of the courses listed, I have played all of them except Rattlesnake. I would hands down play Wedgewood. I believe it's the best course on the list. I personally think it's the 5th best course in Columbus behind the big 4 (Muirfield Village, The Golf Club, Scioto CC and Double Eagle). Wedgewood is always in fantastic shape and is a very well designed course.

Next on the list I would play Tartan. It's close to Wedgewood in my opinion. Really fun lay out to play, a little tricked out at times but very well maintained and offers a good variety of holes. It's a fantastic track.

Jefferson, Scioto Reserve and Kinsale to me are in the same category. They are very very well maintained courses, but, they don't do a ton for me. I liked Jefferson the most out of the 3 but not by a wide margin. Each of the courses are more of a modern course design. None of them really have any memorable holes. Everything kind of looks the same on them.

I'm in the minority on this, but I personally don't like Scarlet. The course is kind of boring. It has fast greens, deep bunkers with soft sand but that's about it. It's a difficult course solely because it's long. 3 putts are common because the greens are fast and are gigantic. The course itself is not really ascetically pleasing and really isn't that special. It's just a straight, long course with huge greens, and thick rough. Not really my favorite type of course.

I am totally biased towards Hickory Hills because I am a member there and grew up playing out there. It's a classic course design. Lots of elevated greens you have to hit up to. Very tight fairways where you have to strategically place the ball. The course offers a bunch of unique holes. There is not a single house on the course and it traverses through woods. The greens are fast, in great shape and are very sloped (at times, comically sloped). Of the above listed courses, it the black sheep. It's totally different from the courses you listed above (which are all more modern designs that are longer with more generous fairways and houses on them). Hickory has no really thrills other than the course itself. It has a small clubhouse, no pool, no elegant grill room, and doesn't have that country club feel. Their slogan is that 'It's a golfer's course". That saying couldn't be more spot on. Just a great layout and truly is a hidden gem in a great golf city.

No, we have not gone on the trip yet. Thanks for your advice

At this point, it looks like we are going to play Rattlesnake Ridge on the way back from WV for sure. I haven't talked to one person who knows the course that hasn't told me that course is great. It seems the going word on it is if it were closer to the city, it would be considered one of the best.

On the way to WV, it will either be Wedgewood or Longaberger. As I said in the earlier post, one of the guys in our foursome hasn't played Longaberger yet, and really wants to go there. If we don't get to Wedgewood this time around, we will definitely get to it next season.

We are playing 36 at the Pete Dye course in Bridgeport WV, so I am afraid whatever we play before and after it will not look quite as good as it probably is.

The other courses on there.....Hickory Hills and Tartan Fields in particular we will play next season for sure.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1409882734' post='10067383']

At this point, it looks like we are going to play Rattlesnake Ridge on the way back from WV for sure. I haven't talked to one person who knows the course that hasn't told me that course is great. It seems the going word on it is if it were closer to the city, it would be considered one of the best.

On the way to WV, it will either be Wedgewood or Longaberger. As I said in the earlier post, one of the guys in our foursome hasn't played Longaberger yet, and really wants to go there. If we don't get to Wedgewood this time around, we will definitely get to it next season.

We are playing 36 at the Pete Dye course in Bridgeport WV, so I am afraid whatever we play before and after it will not look quite as good as it probably is.

The other courses on there.....Hickory Hills and Tartan Fields in particular we will play next season for sure.
[/quote]

Sounds like a good trip. Yeah I need to get on Rattlesnake. I have heard similar things from people that have played it. That's a relatively unknown course around Columbus but it's good.

My dad has a buddy who is a member at the Pete Dye Club. We just haven't had a chance to make the trip. My dad has played it a handful of times and flat out loves the place. I'm sure that will be a lot of fun.

Between Longaberger and Wedgewood you really can't go wrong. I know you have played Longaberger so you know what to expect. Longaberger is a prettier course as it has the sprawling views of the countryside and no homes on the course. Wedgewood is in a country club community and is not built on near as much land as Longaberger so it certainly is not as pretty. Wedgewood will be better maintained than Longaberger as they have one of the best, if not the best, superintendent in the city (rumors are that Muirfield was trying for years to take him but he has something against Jack and refuses to work there). I think anyway you spin it you are slated for some great tracks. Let me know if you need a 4th haha.

There is a chance I will need a 4th sometime this season in late Sept or Oct for a round at Pinnacle. If so, do you want me to let you know when that may be? Depending on if they make us take a forecaddie or not....it would be $50 - $75.

I do know that when we come up there it will be a Monday, Wednesday or Thursday

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used Boxgroove to get on any private courses around Columbus, specifically the courses that don't post tee times and you have to request a tee time. I realize that you probably can't request a tee time at the big 4 courses but was wondering about any of the others. It says that when you request a tee time that you are basically asking a member that uses Boxgroove for them to approve as a guest. I didn't realize that I got a free premium upgrade to there services for a year for belonging to skycaddie so there's no out of pocket expense. I wanted some feedback if anyone has used it.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 3W, 3 Hybrid
TM Rocketballz Stage 1 4 Hybrid
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana
Titleist Vokey SM5 54 & 60

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1409882734' post='10067383']

[/quote]I'd be interested in getting your review of Rattlesnake Ridge. It's one of the better courses in central Ohio IMO but nobody knows about it; it's very hard to get to.

I always think it's sort of unfair to play a new course, and then review it, right after you play a destination type course. We played Rattlesnake Ridge the day after playing 36 holes at the Pete Dye course in WV. There is a good chance whatever we played the next day wouldn't get quite the same praise. That being said.....we enjoyed Rattlesnake Ridge. The conditions were great, and the layout was pretty good. It's a very flat course, and unfortunately we all like some good elevation changes. That is about the only thing that we noticed we didn't care for. The asst pro ( I think his name was Preston) was very helpful, and easy to work with. The greens were lightning fast, and fun to putt on. They do have some ugly power lines that run thru the course, but then again so does Valhalla. Not a big deal, but you can definitely hear that electricity humming in some areas.

We would surely go back again in the future. That is how I normally tell how good a course is, for me anyway. Would I be willing to make the trip (120 miles) again to play there, and the answer is yes for Rattlesnake Ridge.

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1422156222' post='10812759']
Of the courses listed, I agree that Wedgewood is the best. Not played Jefferson or Hickory but Kinsale and Scioto and nearly identical. And Rattlesnake is just as good except for the power lines. If you can get on privates, I like both Medallion and Lakes better than all but Wedgewood, however. Scarlet? Meh, overrated.
[/quote]

Haven't played rattlesnake but I agree with everything else you said. I liked Jefferson a little more than kinsale and Scioto reserve. I'm biased towards hickory since I have been playing there for 15 years. It's a old school track and doesn't have the modern amenities and layout of a kinsale but it's a fantastic layout. I've never been impressed with scarlet.