2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

For a FULL 18-hole round, how does your back-9 compare to your front-9 ?

Front 9 vs Back 9. How do your 18-hole rounds MOST OFTEN go ?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I realize that most respondents probably have NOT kept records so your responses will be anecdotal in nature.

But on your "great", "average" and "poor", 18-hole rounds, how do your front and back 9s most often go ?

I think most options are covered. If not, I hope they don't matter. :classic_laugh:

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

• nsxguy changed the title to For a FULL 18-hole round, how does your back-9 compare to your front-9 ?

I looked at just over a hundred rounds earlier today. The USGA would have heaps and heaps of data on this from hole-by-hole scores as well as other bits of data.

I think people would be surprised at how different nines can be. IMO, people need to stop assuming that if they play well on the front they'd continue to play well on the back. That doesn't happen very often, and players are MUCH more likely to sort of revert to their average than to continue to play well and produce an outstanding score.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 28. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

I don't have a pattern.  I play enough golf where it all evens out in terms of "tendencies".

What I will say though is that 15-20 years ago, there was rarely a round where I played poorly on the front and great on the back because I mentally checked out and was just in **** it mode for the remainder of the round.  So now I do sometimes have rounds of 45-38, or my wildest round of 51-34.  But that just means I balance out to the rounds where I shoot 38-45, 39-49, etc.

I've had days when the front nine was a sign of what was to come for the whole round (good or bad), days when I seemed to run out of gas on the back, and times when I seemed to kick it into another gear after a rough front. 

I guess it just varies for me with no discernible trends.

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

4UI: Turner 239

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used), Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 10.5 (purchased used)

All of the above. I'm that inconsistent.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Statistically, they are within 0.1 shots of each other! 

However, for going low, the back 9 is almost always better! 

I have probably 30 rounds on a back 9 that equal or better my second best front nine score ever:

Best front=-7 

2nd best front=-4 

Best back=-6 (six times)

2nd best back=almost uncountable

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

Always better  on the front 9, and would be a + handicap if I only posted 9 hole scores. For whatever reason, 4-5 hours is too long for me, and my focus and concentration really fade after about 3h. I also lose patience with slow play, and frustration boils up on the back nine on those 5 hour days (I’ve walked in on many occasions when there are 2 groups on the tee box, or one group just leaving the tee and another waiting). I like to play quickly, and the back 9 logjams kill me.

I have shot many sub-par front 9/9 hole scores, but have never broken par for 18.

Posted (edited)

Typical good round 40-38 in either order 

Average round 42-40

Bad round 44-42

Of course I have the occasional 47-42.  But not very often. 

Not many birdies or doubles.

Edited by ChaosTheory

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 1:44 PM, pseudoswede said:

All of the above. I'm that inconsistent.

I'm not a good golfer, but I wouldn't say I'm a bad golfer. I'm very inconsistent, like you're joking about. The one thing I'll say about my inconsistency, it's fairly consistent lol.

On 5/17/2024 at 1:59 PM, b.mattay said:

Statistically, they are within 0.1 shots of each other! 

However, for going low, the back 9 is almost always better! 

I have probably 30 rounds on a back 9 that equal or better my second best front nine score ever:

Best front=-7 

2nd best front=-4 

Best back=-6 (six times)

2nd best back=almost uncountable

On 5/17/2024 at 4:29 PM, ChaosTheory said:

Typical good round 40-38 in either order 

Average round 42-40

Bad round 44-42

Of course I have the occasional 47-42.  But not very often. 

Not many birdies or doubles.

Looking at my stats for 18 holes, the general trend is better on the back than the front it's usually pretty close but usually a shot or so better on the back 9. I have had some rounds where the back 9 is worse, but that's not the norm.

I will say there is probably a lot of things that effect my stats though and makes it tough to give an answer with decent data.  First of all is just a lot of noise from a small sample size, I've only played 15 18 hole rounds, while I've probably played over 150 9 hole rounds since I started keeping track. Secondly, when I am playing 18, it's usually a new course to me, so there's usually a little bit of a feeling out process. 

So, to make a long story even longer, in regards to the poll I haven't had what I feel is a great 18, but my best 18 was 41 on the front and 40 on the back on a par 68. Very good for my skill level, but I wouldn't consider it great.

Edited by Roejye

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I typically get better as the round progresses.  Most all of my "blow up disaster" holes come early in the round, then as I get warmed up, my ball striking improves dramatically.  Overall though, I'm wildly inconsistent.  For a few holes, I'll hit the ball like a pro, string together some pars and a birdie........then two holes later, I look like I just took up the game that day, playing like a beginner hack.

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

3 Hybrid Adams Idea Super LS 19* w/KuroKage

4 Hybrid Callaway Rogue ST Max 24*  w/ProjectX Cypher Black

6 Hybrid Adams A12 OS  28* w/Graffoloy ProLaunch Blue

Irons 7-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

Pre-accident I was a notoriously slow starter. Tried everything in changing / structuring / lengthening / shortening warm up routine but the pattern was still there. I think the biggest differential I ever had was 50 😳 - 37, was somewhere around a 5 index at that time. 

That pattern is gone now, post-accident a few more years and a lot more city mileage on the body means I tend to get tired and fold up late. Thankfully I no longer am prone to the slow start. That will get better but there’s no way to make it get better quickly, it’s sticking with my fitness regimen and playing more. Cool with me. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

No pattern whatsoever, in the long run. I'll go through spells of getting off to a bad start or finshing badly for a few rounds in a row. But as confirmed by my previous analytics over the years, my scores on "front" and "back" average out to exactly the same, give or take a fraction of a stroke. Any tendencies I think I have are just a illusion based on short-term or selective recall. 

• Like 1

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

I am all over the place.  The only thing I can say is my good rounds I make 3-4' putts and my bad rounds I build a lot of snowmen.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-UW Ping i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero / Bridgestone Tour B XS

Almost without exception my back is better/more consistent than the front when I ride. My one exception is a very hilly course I frequently walk for exercise. When I carry my clubs on a warm/hot day, the last 3-4 holes really seem to suffer.

Have a buddy I play with frequently. We are polar opposites. He always scores well on the front and loses steam on the back. I take too long to get in the 'groove' on the front and then do better on the back. We've talked about this for the last couple of years it is so predictable. 

Posted (edited)

I think you need one more possible selection for question 2, which is "all of the above".  I have found no consistency other than my great rounds are great on both the front and the back.  My average rounds could be just about any combination except for lousy on both front and back...which will not turn out average.

Edited by Dewdman42
  • Like 1

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made RBZ 4W and Sim2 Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX (still deciding)

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 1:32 PM, nsxguy said:

I realize that most respondents probably have NOT kept records so your responses will be anecdotal in nature.

But on your "great", "average" and "poor", 18-hole rounds, how do your front and back 9s most often go ?

I think most options are covered. If not, I hope they don't matter. :classic_laugh:

10 minutes ago, Dewdman42 said:

I think you need one more possible selection for question 2, which is "all of the above".  I have found no consistency other than my great rounds are great on both the front and the back.  My average rounds could be just about any combination except for lousy on both front and back...which will not turn out average.

Well, I'm quite sure pretty much everybody has "all of the above" rounds here and there, but the OP did say "how do your front and back 9s most often go". 

But thanks for voting(?).  👍

Edited by nsxguy

Ping Glide Pro 48*

as I said, question 2 does not have the option to say "there is no pattern there is more than any other pattern.  could be two mediocre 9's, could be great front lousy back, could be lousy front, great back.  They all apply equally the same.  There is no way for me to answer the poll without that option.

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made RBZ 4W and Sim2 Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX (still deciding)

16 minutes ago, Dewdman42 said:

as I said, question 2 does not have the option to say "there is no pattern there is more than any other pattern.  could be two mediocre 9's, could be great front lousy back, could be lousy front, great back.  They all apply equally the same.  There is no way for me to answer the poll without that option.

No worries.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

19 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

I agree. The only one I could answer is Great 18 hole round.  My best rounds are when I play well on both nines. 37-37

Going by my most recent rounds...41-41, 42-42, 41-47, 46-42, 43-42, 47-41. 

My worst rounds this year have been when I shoot upper 40's on both nines. My average rounds have been when one side is upper 40's and one side is lower 40's. My best rounds are when I shoot in the lower 40's on both sides. When I shoot in the 70's I have never had a 9 hole score over 40.

If I can stay in rhythm, I don’t see a huge difference but the back 9 is usually a stoke or two better. 

If I get out of rhythm, usually by getting annoyed at a backed up course, my game goes down the tubes pretty fast. My front nines are pretty consistent but if I end up waiting around a lot at a backed up 10th, I get thrown out of sorts. 

• Like 1

I have a bad habit of expecting perfection on the front 9. The first bad shot rattles me and I start to think "I need to get that one back." That thought leads to super aggressive, risky shots that end up getting me into even more trouble.

By the 8th or 9th my goal of perfection is gone and I start to stay in the present. Just think less and focus on the shot in front of me. Usually translates to 3 or 4 shots lower on the back 9.

Drives me nuts that I keep doing it - would play much better if I could maintain that mindset across all 18.

Ai Smoke Max D (9°) - PX Denali Black 70 6.5

Ping G10 (15.5°) - Aldila VS Proto 85X

Ping Rapture (18°, 21°) - Aldila VS Proto 80X

TM P-790 (5-P) - KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM7 (52°, 56°) - DG S400 Tour Issue

Vokey WW V-Grind (60°) - DG S400 Tour Issue

TM Spider Tour Z3

In the original organization of my home course, three of the first four holes could be disastrous for those not single-digit HDCPers:

• A tight par 4 with a deep swale 170 yards out from green...
  • A risk-reward par 4 with a forced carry over a nature area to a shallow green with a spoon depression in the front right quadrant / (and the greenside bunkers are eroded)...
  • And a stovepipe dogleg hole with a down-hill final approach fronted by a gone-wild wetland patch.

A couple of seasons ago, the management reversed the nines. Now, the horror holes start out the back nine. As long as I get to start on the new front nine, the nine scores are about the same (because I'm warmed up before I face the horror holes.) But, if they go nostalgic and start us on the new No. 10 (old No. 1), back nine is probably three strokes higher. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, a lot better. Since trying to implement some swing changes, the front nine has become a warmup nine for me.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9.0° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S

Mizuno Pro 223 5i, Pro 221 6-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1