Colorado WRX 2024

This is an annual thread for Colorado residents. Feel free to post anything Colorado golf-related in this thread. For example...

• Great deals on green fees or club memberships
  • Recommendations for Colorado club fitters, swing coaches, etc.
  • Looking for a playing partner/golf league/club membership
  • Colorado golf course news/reviews
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing shorts and a t-shirt ... in January
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing snow gear ... in June
  • Accomplishing the Colorado duofecta of skiing and golfing on the same day

If you're new to Colorado, welcome! If you're a long-time Coloradan who just discovered this thread, welcome! Please introduce yourself!

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

From the 2023 thread...

12 hours ago, jda said:

Are there any golf shops in the front range that have larger selections of used clubs worth viewing?  I am looking for an older/cheaper carbon steel putter that I can refinish.

12 hours ago, golf4pj said:

Lenny’s Golf Shop off I-25/225 has a good selection, though some stock is in the back as they switch to 70% ski/30% golf shop this time of year.  Down in CoSprongs, World Golf usually has a good selection.  Otherwise, the Denver Golf Expo is February 16-18.

And our usual ice-breaker...

• What are you looking to improve with your game this year?
  • What gear do plan on buying this year?
  • Do you plan on joining a club or league this year?
  • Any fun golf trips planned?
  • Like 2

Yuck. I can barely plan for tomorrow let alone a year in advance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am currently working on keeping my front shoulder in during the downswing.  This has been a problem for me since I tore everything in that joint and had surgery - extreme pain for years caused me to pull off and ended up with toe strikes, like sometimes on the smooth part of an iron.  My ultimate goal is to be able to use my blades again, which I prefer still.  After only a few rounds and no range time, very good striking results, but the dispersion and length is all over the place.  I need to video myself, but my guess is that my top hand (right/push hand) is firing too late on occasion.

I might track my rounds/stokes/stuff, although I know where I miss strokes.  The only thing that is stopping me is that I don't always play to score, so I might need a serious account and a for-fun account.  I need to find an app, but I did save my scorecard from yesterday.

I am enjoying playing all over the place.  Since I mostly play by myself, GolfNow works out for me.  Nearly anybody can get a single onto the course.

Have pebble/spanish/spyglass in May.  Playing each twice, I think, and the The Hay.  I did not set this up, just going.  Probably hit Torrey a few times - I signed a lease in San Diego for a college kid, so I am a resident.  🙂  I might make a New York trip and hit Oak Hill, Shinnecock, Winged Foot and Beth Page and see some family, but nothing set in stone.

I have no need for any more clubs, but I will probably buy some.  I have a special place in my heart for soft steel or other well-done blade putters.  I have been chasing a Bettinardi Summer Lovin' and I will buy one when I find one.  After being disappointed in this year's Cameron Holiday Putter, I bought a 2005 Holiday to lean against a wall in my office.  I also love to buy circa 2000 soft blades from Mizuno, Miura and when Titleist still had theirs made in Japan.  I don't quite have a problem yet, but I am getting there...

• Like 4

Happy 2024 everyone!

I'd like to get my handicap down to a 7 or lower...I feel like I'm stuck in this 8-9 purgatory.  Main things I'm going to work on is no penalty strokes off the tee (we'll see if the higher lofted driver setting continues to do the trick!) and wedge shots from 50-150.  I suck at those and it's killing my scores.  I'm pretty good with my long irons and from 150+ I gain strokes, but from 150 and in I lose them.  So annoying.  

I have a hickory golf trip in mid March, going back to Pinehurst!  So pumped, it's my favorite place.  Unfortunately we'll be there a few weeks before No. 10 opens, so won't be able to play that. Guess it'll be a reason to return!  We are playing the ones that we haven't played yet on past trips....3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.  Sunday morning we're playing the Cradle before heading back home. 

Other than that, hoping to play as much as possible this year and play in more men's club events out at CG, but with the kids soccer schedules and travel, it won't be easy. 

I'm also hoping to play some more rounds with you guys from this thread! 

I'm set on gear for now, don't plan to buy anything new.  Actually that's a lie, I already bought another hickory club as an Xmas present to myself, but that doesn't count.   

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jda said:

I might make a New York trip and hit Oak Hill, Shinnecock, Winged Foot and Beth Page and see some family, but nothing set in stone.

Dude you can get on Shinnecock and Winged Foot? That’s amazing. Aren’t those like two of the hardest to get on?

I’ve got circa 2000 set of MP29s, they are amazing. I can see why you like those. 

• Like 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Dude you can get on Shinnecock and Winged Foot? That’s amazing. Aren’t those like two of the hardest to get on?

I’ve got circa 2000 set of MP29s, they are amazing. I can see why you like those. 

I have family at one of those fancy places - they host many others and get hosted back.

mp29 were really long and felt great - more mass behind the ball that they robbed from the toe.  If you sport the game, they are still likely as good as any irons made today.  I would snatch up a set in a heartbeat if they had grooves left still.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 9:07 AM, jda said:

Probably hit Torrey a few times - I signed a lease in San Diego for a college kid, so I am a resident.  🙂 

I'm making a trip next month as I also have resident status.  Crazy advanced reservation fee that I didn't realize was a thing.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:33 PM, j4663535 said:

Was talking with the boys about maybe heading into Nebraska and playing somewhere. 

I was thinking I'd try and get to Landmand and Prairie Club (also Wildhorse again).  Turns out Landmand sold out in 5 minutes.  Prairie Club is starting reservations on the 15th.

Hello fellow Colorado golfers! I (28M) am looking for some advice on getting back into golf after a 10 year hiatus, as I’ve only been playing a few times per year. This past holiday, my dad (who has become inspired to take his golf game more seriously in retirement) and I were gifted a trip to Traverse City, MI for this upcoming summer. So I’m planning on getting my game back in shape! I had a few questions for those familiar with golf near Denver.

1. What practice facilities are your favorite? (my chipping and putting need the most attention)

2. Any recommendations meeting fellow golfers? (I would love to play with more people around my age, who are somewhat more competent than the randoms I’ve grouped up with as a single)

3. Any advice on leagues? (I have never tried organized golf leagues, and would like to know if others have found value in them)

4. What are your top, value public courses (I’m located near downtown Denver, but would be open to drive)

Quick notes on my golf history for reference: I’d guess my handicap was around a 3-7 back when I was 17. I focused on baseball throughout high school and college, so I never played golf competitively. I’m currently playing bogey golf (mostly due to putting and OB strokes), but I’ll still have some bright moments. I’m fortunate to have some pretty impressive ball speeds, so I like playing from the tips. I just bought a push cart (and way too many other golf purchases), so I’d like to walk the course I play.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to reading everyone’s advice.

Edited by PreheatedStove
Grammar
  • Like 4

On 1/6/2024 at 7:46 PM, PreheatedStove said:

Hello fellow Colorado golfers! I (28M) am looking for some advice on getting back into golf after a 10 year hiatus, as I’ve only been playing a few times per year. This past holiday, my dad (who has become inspired to take his golf game more seriously in retirement) and I were gifted a trip to Traverse City, MI for this upcoming summer. So I’m planning on getting my game back in shape! I had a few questions for those familiar with golf near Denver.

1. What practice facilities are your favorite? (my chipping and putting need the most attention)

2. Any recommendations meeting fellow golfers? (I would love to play with more people around my age, who are somewhat more competent than the randoms I’ve grouped up with as a single)

3. Any advice on leagues? (I have never tried organized golf leagues, and would like to know if others have found value in them)

4. What are your top, value public courses (I’m located near downtown Denver, but would be open to drive)

Quick notes on my golf history for reference: I’d guess my handicap was around a 3-7 back when I was 17. I focused on baseball throughout high school and college, so I never played golf competitively. I’m currently playing bogey golf (mostly due to putting and OB strokes), but I’ll still have some bright moments. I’m fortunate to have some pretty impressive ball speeds, so I like playing from the tips. I just bought a push cart (and way too many other golf purchases), so I’d like to walk the course I play.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to reading everyone’s advice.

Welcome to the group! I live in the southern 'burbs, and I kvetch if I have to drive north of DTC, so my answers won't be the most helpful.

1. Family Sports Center in Centennial is probably the best on the south side, but the short game area is always packed. The practice putting green is very large and relatively unused. Lone Tree also has a nice pitching area, but no real good place to practice chipping, and the practice green runs about a 99 on the stimpmeter.

2. This little slice of GolfWRX has a great group of guys that often go out and play together. I recruit for a super chill Thursday night beer league at South Suburban Golf Course if you're interested in that. Otherwise, I hear there is a Denver Golf subreddit (or maybe Discord server) where a bunch of people around your age meet up to play. (@jacobEDGE would know)

3. The league I play in is in my signature below. I've been a member for 10-11 years now. It's on the pricey side, but it's a great group of guys and I never have to worry about booking tee times. My only complaint is that I'm driving 45-60 minutes each way to most courses because I'm always out of town when they hit the southern courses. There are two other traveling golf leagues in the area (GolfWeek and US Am Tour). I like FRGC because it's 100% local. When I first moved to Denver (23 years ago), I joined the Kennedy Men's Club, and I had a good time there.

4. To name a few: Riverdale Dunes, City Park, Indian Peaks, Walnut Creek, Fox Hollow, Meadow Hills.

• Like 3

I mostly stay up north, but I go to Saddleback when I want to practice a lot - you can hit as many as you want there with your range fee.  Colorado National has a really nice practice facility but I do not know if you can join without becoming a member.

In addition to the courses above, Riverdale Knolls is fun for an old course, is an easy walk and is cheaper than most.

If you need to putt, just walk onto the green of any public course.  I have never had anybody say anything to me about it.  I drive all over for work and I stop in to many of them if I need to get out of the car for 15-20 minutes.

• Like 3

Welcome @PreheatedStove!  My best advice would be to take two weeks off, then quit.  But if you insist on playing the most frustrating game ever invented, I guess you've come to the right place.  

1. Murphy Creek is a little bit of a drive but has a fantastic practice area.  Green Valley Ranch has a nice short game area as well.  Closest to downtown is probably City Park and it has a pretty good putting green (but unfortunately they don't have cups in, you just putt to a flag with a bumper on it) and the chipping green is ok.  Depending on where you are downtown too, you can hop over to Indian Tree, they have a decent sized putting green and the chipping green is pretty good too.  

I'd say whatever is most convenient is your best bet, chances are the more of a hassle it is to get there the less you'll get out and practice.  

3. I've never done any of the traveling leagues but I've been in the CommonGround Men's Club for a few years now and love it.  Unfortunately if the past few years are any indication, it will probably be limited to those already in and who played in events last year as the demand has been nuts and they've tried to limit the number of people.  So your best bet is probably one of the traveling leagues.  

4. In addition to those mentioned, CommonGround for sure (and it is a very walkable course if you like walking).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Welcome to anyone new this year and the best thread on WRX........!

Goals this year, first and foremost ..............DO NOT GET HURT THIS YEAR..........3 years running...!!!.........I am not the smartest that is for sure..........😂

GOLF:  More greens in REG....!  I putt okay and drive the ball okay too but when you only poke it out there 175 yards off the tee it is pretty easy to hit fairways..... 

Odd for me but currently no "set in stone" golf trips planned for 24.  Only one trip booked,  2 weeks in Turkey/Greece/Paris but that is 110%  the make it up to the "better half" for the golf trip last year 🤣 

*She has been VERY clear NO GOLF on the trip but I can not say I have not been looking at which courses I could access  hahahahaha

On a different note, I am joping to play more golf wih everyone in this thread...!  Seems like we all have common intrest yet dont get together and play much.  

Edit: 

@Dancin I might even post scores too  🤪

Edited by CDM
  • Like 4

On 1/3/2024 at 9:07 AM, jda said:

I might make a New York trip and hit Oak Hill, Shinnecock, Winged Foot and Beth Page and see some family, but nothing set in stone.

Well if you need someone to fill in, let me know.  Dont get me wrong it will have to fit my schedule but I could try and figure out a way to make it work.................I guess. 

If you want to do "home / away" I can host at Riverdale Dunes, not a member but I have connections" to get us on    🤪

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

lol. Dismal River sold again. This has to be the 5th or 6th owner change now. At least they're keeping the same mgt company in charge so shouldn't be too much turmoil. Given the name of the new owner (DRC investors) I wonder if that is a member run group finally taking control.

https://www.firstcallgolf.com/industry-news/release/2024-01-08/dismal-river-club-ushers-in-new-ownership

Weekend Arizona trip is perfect timing with these temps. Looking forward to seeing people on the links again this year! Let's go baby!

• Like 3

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

It is BLEEPIN' cold!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

What. a. storm.

Just got back from eldora that had 20" overnight and 29" the last 40 hours. The downside was that it was -13F when we got there and -10F when we left. It doesn't matter, I'll brave that s*** for pow like that any day.

I’ve been in Winter Park all weekend and can confirm….epic powder weekend! But yeah the -21 windchill was not too fun. 

I’m not sure how or when I’ll be able to drive home with Berthoud being closed and 70 being shut down….we may have to go all the way down to 285. Oh well. Guess we will see tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Did you get home? I noticed Berthud pass was still closed last night but they did open 70 east of vail pass through the tunnel.

EDIT: To be honest, yesterday had to be one of the best skiing days at winter park EVER considering the pass was closed and nobody could get to the mountain.

Edited by Joelness

On 1/16/2024 at 10:39 AM, Joelness said:

Did you get home? I noticed Berthud pass was still closed last night but they did open 70 east of vail pass through the tunnel.

EDIT: To be honest, yesterday had to be one of the best skiing days at winter park EVER considering the pass was closed and nobody could get to the mountain.

We did finally make it home, a nice 7.5 hour trip!  Oh well.  Had to go around towards Kremmling (took 3 down and stayed off 9) but when we got t Silverthorne it was chaos.  Took an hour to go a mile so we stopped for lunch.  Got on 70 and took 1.5 hours to the tunnel but once through, it was smooth sailing.  Unfortunately 2 days ago we did try to go ski, but between the wind/snow/whiteout conditions you couldn't see anything, and on top of that it was probably -15 with the wind chill.  So we tried but didn't ski much on Monday due to that.  Still a great weekend and totally worth it! 

• Like 2

Cold temps and snow has me a bit bored.  Thought about my Pro Bowl Course in my area.  Anybody care to share theirs?  I went with par of 72 from second to back tees with public courses.

1: Riverdale Dunes Hole 9, as Par 4, 465 - love this hole, but it is not a Par 5

2: Colorado National 17, Par 4, 335

3: Riverdale Dunes Hole 5, Par 4, 401

4: Mariana Butte Hole 13, Par 5, 536 - lake with wind usually in face is fun.. how much to try and cut?

5: Riverdale Dunes Hole 17, Par 3, 164 on the card - always seems like 185

6: Saddleback 15, Par 4, 444 - love this three hole stretch

7: Saddleback 16, Par 4, 308

8: Saddleback 17, Par 3, 197 Uphill

9: Legacy 18, Par 5, 499 - great visual, overhanging trees and protected green

10: Walnut Creek 12, Par 4, 476 - Hole chews me up with length and tough green, love it

11: Colorado National 18, Par 4, 440

12: Ute Creek 2, Par 4, 374 - this is either a birdie or bogey for me... cannot figure it out

13: Indian Peaks 4, Par 5, 523 - Seems easy, but not as many birdies as anybody things

14: Fox Acres 18, Par 3, 213 - love this hole even with every elephant in Africa buried under the green

15: Highland Meadows 12, Par 5, 590 - just love to hit two downhill bombs and see about the speed slots

16: Walnut Creek 7, Par 3, 198 - trouble everywhere

17: Indian Peaks 15, Par 4, 410 - love the visual from the tee with trees and bunkers narrowing on both sides

18: Ute Creek 18, Par 4, 452 - best finishing hole in Northern Colorado

Out: 3364, Par 36

In: 3679, Par 36

I might come up with a list of my stupidest holes, but 18 at Mariana and 7 at Indian Peaks could just be on the list 9 times each.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2024 at 10:55 AM, jda said:

Cold temps and snow has me a bit bored.  Thought about my Pro Bowl Course in my area.  Anybody care to share theirs?  I went with par of 72 from second to back tees with public courses.

1: Riverdale Dunes Hole 9, as Par 4, 465 - love this hole, but it is not a Par 5

2: Colorado National 17, Par 4, 335

3: Riverdale Dunes Hole 5, Par 4, 401

4: Mariana Butte Hole 13, Par 5, 536 - lake with wind usually in face is fun.. how much to try and cut?

5: Riverdale Dunes Hole 17, Par 3, 164 on the card - always seems like 185

6: Saddleback 15, Par 4, 444 - love this three hole stretch

7: Saddleback 16, Par 4, 308

8: Saddleback 17, Par 3, 197 Uphill

9: Legacy 18, Par 5, 499 - great visual, overhanging trees and protected green

10: Walnut Creek 12, Par 4, 476 - Hole chews me up with length and tough green, love it

11: Colorado National 18, Par 4, 440

12: Ute Creek 2, Par 4, 374 - this is either a birdie or bogey for me... cannot figure it out

13: Indian Peaks 4, Par 5, 523 - Seems easy, but not as many birdies as anybody things

14: Fox Acres 18, Par 3, 213 - love this hole even with every elephant in Africa buried under the green

15: Highland Meadows 12, Par 5, 590 - just love to hit two downhill bombs and see about the speed slots

16: Walnut Creek 7, Par 3, 198 - trouble everywhere

17: Indian Peaks 15, Par 4, 410 - love the visual from the tee with trees and bunkers narrowing on both sides

18: Ute Creek 18, Par 4, 452 - best finishing hole in Northern Colorado

Out: 3364, Par 36

In: 3679, Par 36

I might come up with a list of my stupidest holes, but 18 at Mariana and 7 at Indian Peaks could just be on the list 9 times each.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate 18 at Legacy. I has just never fit my eye off the tee. 

That's a good list though. A lot of good holes

• Like 1