2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2024

4 hours ago, j4663535 said:

Playing at the Knolls on Sunday. Don't know if my body can handle 2 days back to back right now

Knolls is easy walk and at least pretty flat but fully understand.   I hit balls a couple days ago and was pretty stiff.  Realized I need to get off the couch more during off season so my thought is more winter golf trips Vs actually working out 😁 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, j4663535 said:

Playing at the Knolls on Sunday. Don't know if my body can handle 2 days back to back right now

I'm playing City Park on Friday, Wellshire on Saturday and Merdiian on Sunday.  Then leaving on Wednesday for 4 days in a row in Mesquite @ Oasis Palmer, Oasis Canyons, Conestoga and Falcon Ridge!!

Getting my golf in early in the year!

Edited by golf4pj
  • Like 2

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

I hit range balls today in Cheyenne into a 50mph headwind. It was awesome. I love hitting off dormant turf. Didn’t get to play in Fort Collins this weekend, which was sad. Looking forward to the season!

• Like 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

5 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Joel brought the snow squall down on us with that comment. Still should melt by Friday with temps we have the rest of the week.

And the stupid roofing company thought it would be a good idea to start the roof replacement yesterday. "Yeah, we can get this done in a day." Argh.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

19 minutes ago, jda said:

Sun is out right now in Longmont.  Might be able to play Ute in an hour or two if nothing else comes.

Might prefer this afternoon to Walnut Creek in the wind the other day.  I don't even mind wind golf, but I might be getting too old for balls not staying on tees and stand bags blowing over.

Lucky you. Got about 2 inches here in Parker in the past 90 minutes and still snowing heavily.

• Like 2

Hit balls last saturday for the first time in a bit. Laser beams through the entire bag. Had a poor year last year from a ball striking consistency standard. Planning on working harder on the range and doing a few more trips this year. Game plan is to get about 60 rounds in and hoping to get back to a plus handicap with 10 of the 60 in the 60's. Trying to hit as many fairways as @Dancin, make as many birdies as @Joelness, and have as much "fun" as @CDM this golf season! 

• Like 3

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

15 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Hit balls last saturday for the first time in a bit. Laser beams through the entire bag. Had a poor year last year from a ball striking consistency standard. Planning on working harder on the range and doing a few more trips this year. Game plan is to get about 60 rounds in and hoping to get back to a plus handicap with 10 of the 60 in the 60's. Trying to hit as many fairways as @Dancin, make as many birdies as @Joelness, and have as much "fun" as @CDM this golf season! 

Hope it happens...!!  That way I can get 4 a side  😁

The comment "working harder on the range" is something I need to really do. More so "focus" better. Been on the range a few times this year and I know I need to work "better" on my swing.   Not just pounding balls.    

• Like 1

This year I no intention of buying equipement this year........well that lasted like 30 days LOL. 

Picked up a driver just to "test'.  *price was too good to pass up to try. 

Ping G430 LST (10.5).  Has the stock Chrome 2.0 shaft. Shockingly it seems like a pretty good shaft.  I did not need it as been driving the ball pretty solid/straight but always hunting for that extra 10 yards. Have a few shaft I can test over with it too. 

IRON QUESTION:  Love the mizzy's just not 100% happy with the Accra shafts.  Great feel and control but I have a miss left with them which started end of last year.  Messing in the sim with fitter he does not the flex (S+) is the issue, more so weight is to light.   

Wathcing video my release is early and I fitter thinks it is from shaft being to light.  They are 95 gram.  I use 60+ and 70+ in my woods and no issues with relase or loosing it left unless I snap my hands through to fast. 

Fitter thinks I should be  in the 110-115 weight range.  98 gram currently.  *We tried a DG S300 (130 gram) since that is the "standard" per se and my release was a lot later.   

We discussed resetting the setup (re fit) for shafts but my heads where replaced this year so though close to the same a bit different weight to the new ones.   

He tossed out an option to test on a range that is cheap and easy to see if it is the shaft, swing OR maybe head weight. 

Stick 15 grams of lead tape on a shaft.  Place 3-5 gram pieces, one in the middle and then one below it 2.5 inches and one above it 2.5 inches.  More evenly balanced so to speak.  Hit balls and see if it helps the release (lefts) .  If it does not help then for sure it is some issue in my swing or head weight.

Anyone ever heard of doing this with lead tape?  

• Like 1

I hope that this is not too long...

I put lead tape under my grips to balance out the tape that I put on the heads.  This is mostly in the woods for me.  I already use and love heavy shafts so not as much need.  My "I don't play a lot set" has a 44 degree PW so I had to get a 48 (normal PW for me) and it had a 108g shaft in it already and I put a lot of tape down the shaft - it works.  It is a common thing for folks who play at a high level and none of them use shafts, heads, etc. off of the shelf - more normal in the olden days when there were less options and every college and mini tour bag had tape on nearly every club somewhere.  Many play as heavy of a club as they can whilst keeping swing speed and contact good.

I find that as I age, my SS has gone down but my strength has not.  I can swing a heavier club just as fast as a lighter one which means more mass at impact, better smash and better ball speed.  For me, a heavier club is also easier to control but everybody feels this way.

If you just do the heads, then the profile of the shaft changes even if you cannot feel the head-heavy setup, and most can.  I would not use more than 5g on the heads unless you have a more stout shaft and really love the end-heavy feel - this can be great with wedges but most people don't like it with full swings.

When you do this, look at the ball speed as much as feel and stuff.  Don't worry about swing speed.  I don't understand lighter shafts until strength wanes.  IMO, it is a trick to make SS higher (instead of ball speed) and sell clubs for most who still have some strength who are probably better off going another way, but this is harder equation to solve... and clubs need to sell quickly.  The SS numbers at the fitter look good, but people can hate the lighter shafts as they play them.  As strength does wane, then lighter shafts can be great.

If you hate it, the lead tape and residue comes right off with some Goo Gone.

You can get really good at this and even tailor each iron differently, but shhhh!  Cannot sell as many fittings and/or new gear if people knew about lead tape.  🙂  (I am quite wary of most fitters as number readers and shaft swappers since the really good ones are so far and between, so please ignore my disdain)

/novel on tape on shafts...

Edited by jda
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, jda said:

more normal in the olden days when there were less options and every college and mini tour bag had tape on nearly every club somewhere

Fitter stated the same.  Way more common back in the day before all the tech aspects / going into a place like Club Champion and hitting everything they had.   

I was going to mess around on the 6 Iron as a test and if does not work as you note pull it off and use some goo gone.   Thanks for the response. 

Put more tape at the top of the shaft and less in the middle and bottom... like 5 top, 4 middle and 3 bottom if you want 12 grams.

In the end, you are your own best fitter.  Lead tape is awesome for this.  If you take a good club builder a stick with lead tape all over it, they should be able to make you a awesome set.

The only thing to know is that you cannot alter it once you start a round (for the serious rounds), so if the tape starts to come undone during normal play, then just stick it back on or you can replace it the same way.  Have a witness.  You can restore the club, but never install additional or remove the tape.  This is mostly an issue with tape on the bottom and not so much on shafts.  Ask me how I know to have a witness.  😞

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CDM said:

This year I no intention of buying equipement this year........well that lasted like 30 days LOL. 

Picked up a driver just to "test'.  *price was too good to pass up to try. 

Ping G430 LST (10.5).  Has the stock Chrome 2.0 shaft. Shockingly it seems like a pretty good shaft.  I did not need it as been driving the ball pretty solid/straight but always hunting for that extra 10 yards. Have a few shaft I can test over with it too. 

IRON QUESTION:  Love the mizzy's just not 100% happy with the Accra shafts.  Great feel and control but I have a miss left with them which started end of last year.  Messing in the sim with fitter he does not the flex (S+) is the issue, more so weight is to light.   

Wathcing video my release is early and I fitter thinks it is from shaft being to light.  They are 95 gram.  I use 60+ and 70+ in my woods and no issues with relase or loosing it left unless I snap my hands through to fast. 

Fitter thinks I should be  in the 110-115 weight range.  98 gram currently.  *We tried a DG S300 (130 gram) since that is the "standard" per se and my release was a lot later.   

We discussed resetting the setup (re fit) for shafts but my heads where replaced this year so though close to the same a bit different weight to the new ones.   

He tossed out an option to test on a range that is cheap and easy to see if it is the shaft, swing OR maybe head weight. 

Stick 15 grams of lead tape on a shaft.  Place 3-5 gram pieces, one in the middle and then one below it 2.5 inches and one above it 2.5 inches.  More evenly balanced so to speak.  Hit balls and see if it helps the release (lefts) .  If it does not help then for sure it is some issue in my swing or head weight.

Anyone ever heard of doing this with lead tape?  

Super interesting idea. Tbh, I only know myself and the mizuno automated fitting tool had me in the ProjectX LZ which is their "light version." It felt awful for me, just absolutely hated it.

I like where you guys are going with the experimentation. I mean, why not if you have time? It sure seems easy to get lost in this one though since it's so customizable. @jda is giving some solid direction and "guard rails" to save time though.

Personally, I'd rather try a bunch of new shafts at a fitting and see what feels best and helps your dispersion. Once that is done I'd rather use the extra time on getting better instead of all the weight swapping but that's 100% opinion on this one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joelness said:

Super interesting idea. Tbh, I only know myself and the mizuno automated fitting tool had me in the ProjectX LZ which is their "light version." It felt awful for me, just absolutely hated it.

I like where you guys are going with the experimentation. I mean, why not if you have time? It sure seems easy to get lost in this one though since it's so customizable. @jda is giving some solid direction and "guard rails" to save time though.

Personally, I'd rather try a bunch of new shafts at a fitting and see what feels best and helps your dispersion. Once that is done I'd rather use the extra time on getting better instead of all the weight swapping but that's 100% opinion on this one.

I agree, feels like one could get lost down the rabbit hole. 

Giving it more thought I think I will try the lead tape, just for weight aspects. To see if what the thought process is works. If I find something that feels right "weight" wise will go back in and test shafts that are in that range.   I think that might  be the best route.  

17 hours ago, jda said:

Put more tape at the top of the shaft and less in the middle and bottom... like 5 top, 4 middle and 3 bottom if you want 12 grams.

In the end, you are your own best fitter.  Lead tape is awesome for this.  If you take a good club builder a stick with lead tape all over it, they should be able to make you a awesome set.

The only thing to know is that you cannot alter it once you start a round (for the serious rounds), so if the tape starts to come undone during normal play, then just stick it back on or you can replace it the same way.  Have a witness.  You can restore the club, but never install additional or remove the tape.  This is mostly an issue with tape on the bottom and not so much on shafts.  Ask me how I know to have a witness.  😞

@jda many on here probably found that bold statement funny.

I am pretty low key and just like to have fun 99% of the time, only thing I take serious is talking trash @Dancin  🤣

• Like 2

Have you found any place that has different shafts fit into the heads with epoxy?  I tried shafts a few times, but the apparatus that allows the shafts to screw on/off just felt different.

For example, I went to a ???? fitting (the ones that have multiple brands) and swung some Mizuno, Titleist and SEVEN blades all with x100 (among others).  They felt nothing like x100 at all.  Fitter said that they altered the shafts so that it would compensate for the fitting apparatus, screws and altered metal on the heads, but how is this a still a true indication of the shaft if they remove material from the inside?

Are the places better at this now?  I have not tried many places and it has been a while.

Hello All, Just want to introduce myself, since I just found this thread. I've been golfing for 5 years and fully into the sport. 

I'm in the Denver area and frequent Family Sports and Murphy Creek for practice. 

I'm looking to join a men's league this year and I'm open to any suggestions. Common Ground is on my list, but I've been told it's really hard to get in. Considering MurphyCreek/Saddle Rock as well. 

• Like 3

Snagged a G430 LST.  *Killer price from a Ping Pro rep and I swore I was not buying any clubs this year 🤣   

I went to PGA Superstore prior to buying and compared it to current gamer. TSI3 w/Ventus TR Red.

Same shaft in both that the LST was longer by 10 yards on identical hits (per se).   They carried roughly the same but launch angle was flatter/better with LST and it reflected better run out. 

SO in WRX fashon, I bought it...hit it 4-5 times on the range and gamed it.  It is longer

I had the stock shaft (Chrome 2.0)  as did not have time to switch shafts.   Stock shaft is good, but not smooth feeling, somewhat "crisp" and 2x4 feeling to me.  Hands down the TSI3 /TR RED feels way better.   

I also did not want to change up the TSI3 combo yet in case it did not work out. I put in a Tour AD DI.   Took it the range Friday night.

Holy H*ll the swing weight moved big time...! I expected it too, but way more then expected..  I knew some SW change would happen but not this much. 

Are Ping driver shafts are counter balanced...? I read this weekend they are, but could not find the Chrome 2.0 is? 

Going to check SW this week, but thinking it went up a full point or more.  Talking with people I know/play with they are all over the board with responses on adjusting it:  

3  - note just take the weight in the back and just lower the grams down? 

3 - note just add a few grams to the butt end to offset? IE: Counter balance it... 

3 -  noted you have to do a combo of the two, it always should be done this way.  (??)

....And one person said:  "F'it, you were ripping it just fine so leave it alone and get used to it you *****"     🤣

How have you guys handled this? 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

Just now, Leaky_Bucket29 said:

Hello All, Just want to introduce myself, since I just found this thread. I've been golfing for 5 years and fully into the sport. 

I'm in the Denver area and frequent Family Sports and Murphy Creek for practice. 

I'm looking to join a men's league this year and I'm open to any suggestions. Common Ground is on my list, but I've been told it's really hard to get in. Considering MurphyCreek/Saddle Rock as well. 

Welcome to the board. 

CG is the most popular for sure and I thinnk it opened yesterday or today so if you want to get in that one you better check or call them.

Murphy is my practice location also since I live out in that area.   I know MC/SR is a pretty good league too but last few years I think a few have dropped out of it.  

A number of my friends  play in the mens clubs you noted and it seemed a few did not like the CG schedule this year compared to years past? Not sure why? Only one said it was okay but seemed to note he liked the 18 hole Friday events as it worked better for him.

Two of them joined Meadow Hills this year too and as they thought the schedule was pretty good.  I think it was $250 to join but it includes events fees, so all you pay is greens fees if I heard them right on Saturday. 

12 minutes ago, Leaky_Bucket29 said:

Welcome @Leaky_Bucket29!

I believe @ASak10 is a member of the Commonground Men's Club, but I'm sure it's full. Murphy Creek/Saddle Rock will probably be just as difficult. Three others to consider would be Meadow Hills, Kennedy, and/or Wellshire. Since you appear to be on the better side of town, think about The Links at Highlands Ranch and South Suburban.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CDM said:

How have you guys handled this? 

Are you asking about putting tape under the grip vs lowering the weight in the head, right?  I put tape under the grips with every driver and fairway that I own.  I usually add some to the head too.  If you do it right, it puts more mass behind the ball, makes the club heavier and easier to control (for most) but the club does not feel heavier when you swing it.  IMO, under the grip is better than having it just below the grip, but you can experiment down there before you remove and replace grips since ten bucks a pop sucks.  This is very popular with pros and stuff and was super popular when builders existed instead of fitters.  Going back to Arnie and Jack, this is very popular and should be searchable.  You might really like more mass in the head and then on the butt end to balance.  I would never make a head lighter until you lose strength - just gets too wobbly and hard to control, if that makes sense.

If you meant otherwise, then ignore me.

Edit: the four reasons to counterbalance in this article are right-on for me.  More stable and more mass behind the ball are my main things.  IMO, anybody serious about golf should at least try it.

https://golf.com/gear/gear-questions-youre-afraid-to-ask-what-is-counterbalancing/

Edited by jda