2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2024

16 hours ago, Joelness said:

How about another random question for ya'll......

Anyone gotten really good at dealing with calluses? I had not gone full time practice in a couple years and my hards are getting torn up already. I generally just use some cuticle trimmers to cut off the thick stuff and then sand it down with a file but I could use a more regular and effective methodology. 

If you get any built up on your fingers (my right ring finger has a permanent callus built up), I love using tape like this

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

22 hours ago, EstesPark said:

Hope all is well. 

We just moved to Longmont from Estes Park and looking for a course for the summer. I'm within walking distance to Ute Creek which appears to be roughly $2k for the season. I've also thought about looking into the Fox Hill Club but don't see their fees listed anywhere. 

Anyone in the area have suggestions as to what I should look at? Have never played in the area so open to anything.

Of note is that I'm just learning the game and hoping to take lessons and play about two days a week. Also need a place to store my clubs as I'll be biking - my wife and I only had one car in Estes and would prefer not to purchase a second if possible.

I live in Erie, about 20 minutes south of Longmont. Indian Peaks is my favorite local course (not sure if that's been mentioned), but I've played Ute 50 times and it's a good open track IMO. 

sorry, just went back and read about the biking distance. Ute is probably your huckleberry... 

Edited by stoneydukes
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2024 at 10:45 PM, Dancin said:

Oh man. Thanks jda. That is going to open up so many ways to needle Joel when I play him this year now. 😂

I'm sure @CDM would pee on his hands for him

• Haha 4

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

7 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Anyone in the CG club doing match play?  I'm going to do individual for sure but if someone wants to do the fourball, I may be able to swing that as well.  

I haven’t signed up for the match play in several seasons. It’s a shame cuz I love playing match play as a format, but my availability is just too sketchy; I’d be the guy who can’t ever get a match scheduled.  I think this year the schedule said you had to be available 4/20 and 4/27 to sign up, and of course I’m out of town this weekend.  Missed out on signing up for the masters team event. I’m hoping to get into the first stroke play event on 5/4. 

• Like 1

I’ve been meaning to ask… anyone here a member at Meridian anymore?  I played it once 5 or 6 years ago, with somebody that was on the forum here, but can’t remember his login.  

After last season of fighting the public tee time battle, and then this past weekend having a 5 hour round at the Meadows (1hr and 20 minutes to play 15-18! Four freaking holes!!), I’m seriously starting to consider joining somewhere.  Meridian is five minutes from my house, and I remember enjoying the course. 

Just curious how the tee sheet is on a typical weekend, and if it’s easy to slide into a group.  I don’t want to pay the $$$ and find out that the same old dudes who have been there for 20 years have every tee time from 7-noon held every Sat and Sun for the rest of eternity…

Edited by Gmcourtney
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gmcourtney said:

I’ve been meaning to ask… anyone here a member at Meridian anymore?  I played it once 5 or 6 years ago, with somebody that was on the forum here, but can’t remember his login.  

After last season of fighting the public tee time battle, and then this past weekend having a 5 hour round at the Meadows (1hr and 20 minutes to play 15-18! Four freaking holes!!), I’m seriously starting to consider joining somewhere.  Meridian is five minutes from my house, and I remember enjoying the course. 

Just curious how the tee sheet is on a typical weekend, and if it’s easy to slide into a group.  I don’t want to pay the $$$ and find out that the same old dudes who have been there for 20 years have every tee time from 7-noon held every Sat and Sun for the rest of eternity…

I often drive by it multiple times per day, and it looks packed to the gills on the weekends, and pretty busy on the weekdays. Usually one or two groups on the tee box on #8 (the par 3 running parallel to Lincoln), especially when there is a south wind that will push balls into the lake. The Meridian office park is one of the best places to teach your teen how to drive. On the weekends, the golf course parking lot was always nearly full, and every hole we drove parallel to had groups on it.

I believe @ztull (or people he knows) might have better insight on how it really is.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

13 hours ago, Gmcourtney said:

I think it was Forecast6236 (Matt?) that was a member. I believe we were both part of that outing years ago. 

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Guess nobody wanted to go out in the wind today.  Walked with my Sunday Bag in tidy 2:52.

I have learned quite a bit in my Sunday Bag experience.  For some background, put together a minimal bag with old clubs to carry on some days (turned into all days).  Titleist 660 blades 2-PW, Cleveland 52 and 60 and Driver.

1).  2:52 is too fast.  I hit a few horrible shots in the last 3 holes.  3:30 is probably as fast as I need to do it when carrying clubs.

2).  Would rather have my trolley if the round is going to be 4:30 to 5 hours.

3).  With no place to keep a pencil and card in the small bag, I really am in love with a leather score book.  It had been a long time and I forgot how much I like to walk while I write.

4).  Blades do indeed make you fix swing issues faster.  I know that you have to have a modicum of skill for this to work, but nearly 2 years trying to keep my front shoulder in a pull down into the ball with my t100 and 10ish rounds with blades got this all fixed.  Ball striking is as good as it has been in a long time for me.

5).  x100 is the best iron shaft ever for my game.  I know all of the reasons and hype for Project X, Rifle, etc. but the heavy and power through the ball just felt good from the first round.

6).  My 660 blades have a 48 degree PW that goes as far as the 44 degree PW in my t100 set.  The blades are a whole club longer if you count degrees... but the both say P on them.  The blades have much more spin.  The long irons are about half a club longer with the blades when comparing the same lofts.

7). 2 iron still has more usefulness than a 5 wood or hybrid.  Hammering it in sweeping fashion to both to find fairways with that big bounce and roll out, or I can go steep and get some height and have it stop on greens.

8).  Cannot have 2 drivers between the main bag and the Sunday bag.  Eventually moved the main driver over.  The D3 Titleist will gear and you want to hit on the top of the face and the D4 does not gear like this and you want a center strike.  I am not good enough to change between the two from round to round.

9).  Used the same putter between the two bags too.  I putted fine with a backup but I just prefer my main one.  Preference over performance on this one.

10).  Don't need a 56 degree wedge - the 52 and 60 are enough.

11).  Taking 3 balls with you is enough.  You can find tees along the way.  You need chapstick and bandaids still.

12).  Shot my number even on sandy, bad greens and some rounds with sleet/snow and lots of wind.  Expect to drop a few strokes when conditions improve since ball striking is much better.

I think that I mostly learned that there is some new driver tech that is useful, but I am starting to seriously doubt that most iron and iron shaft tech is mostly garbage - I don't play GI stuff so there could be something there.  I feel like companies could release irons on 5 year cycles and nobody would care or be any worse off.

I am really glad that I went back to some basics and changed things up.  I will be keeping the leather scorecard holder in the back pocket, have no plans to replace the 2 and 3 iron, probably will play the blades for a while or as long as I can find the center of them - might even send another set that I have off to get refinished... longer distance, more spin and I can hit high, low and draw with them easier than t100.  We have not seen much rough yet, but they will be better out of the rough too.

I challenge anybody who feels that they game is stale to try something like this.  I am happy that I did.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jda said:

I think that I mostly learned that there is some new driver tech that is useful, but I am starting to seriously doubt that most iron and iron shaft tech is mostly garbage - I don't play GI stuff so there could be something there.  I feel like companies could release irons on 5 year cycles and nobody would care or be any worse off.

I mean, they could...if the whole golf world was on the same 5-year cycle. Because they aren't, you can make small, incremental changes every year, and someone will technically benefit. If you go 5 years between club changes--first, turn in your GolfWRX card, you luddite 🤣--then you will enjoy four years' worth of incremental changes that, as a whole, will probably benefit you to truly improve your game.

• Like 1

Very tiny incremental gains in irons. Even the game improvement ones have gotten to the point that it is incremental help. Manufacturers/Club fitters encouraging mixed iron sets and/or making the long irons a different design in the same model set is probably the biggest help for people the last two years. For the majority of players including most pros, you are hurting yourself if you have the same exact design of 4/5 iron as your 8/9 iron.

• Like 2

I went from 2021/2022 to 2006.  I guess that my WRX card does have a SASE that I can mail it back with.  🙂

I think that the golf manufacturers are just making things up to sell more clubs.  YouTube creators need content so they make videos talking about speed wings, slots, and all of that only to have them disappear in the next iteration.  WRXers desperate for any help will believe anything most of the time - MOI on a putter kills me like if you cannot find the sweet spot of the putter, then fix your swing and don't worry about the club.  If this year's club is so revolutionary, then how can they have another revolutionary club in a year or two... and what does that really say about the revolutionary clubs from 2022, 2020, 2018, 2016, etc.  To me, pure bunk.  Saw a set of Tommy 845s at the thrift store the other day and the material, offset and shafts look just as good as pure steel cavities today (no elastomers) - I supposed that some might not like the distance loss since these are not strong lofted to boost egos, but they sure look like they could play.  Am I a ****** or what?

I can tell differences in driver head tech - not so much shafts and some just feel like different colored versions of the older ones that everybody loved.  I guess that the balanced driver shafts were some new tech.  These might still have new things to offer.

I also did learn that I probably do need to replace my wedges more often.  I still have 200 Series Vokeys that I have to stop using (2023 grooves), but they were probably worn out anyway.  Heard that they might remake the 200 with legal grooves for us schlebs and that they do make them for pros still.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 2:30 PM, ASak10 said:

Anyone in the CG club doing match play?  I'm going to do individual for sure but if someone wants to do the fourball, I may be able to swing that as well.  

I signed up for the 4 Ball with a friend, not doing individual. The players I know who have done the 4B a number of times said it is fun but if your a low HDCP it's more of a waste?  Said you need a "sandbagger" 9-11 HDCP to have a chance....  😎

Friends I know in CGMC are solid players and they all said (like @Joelness has noted prior) they are tired of playing great and getting smoked by someone who suddenly has a "career" round.....

The person I am playing with said the format pairings are fine it is the structure that is the issue.  It allows, or benefits higher Hdcp players based you pick tees for each match? 

Is that true you pick the tees for each match you play? They are not set tees?  So every match could be different tee? Plus the shortest tees picked by either team are used?

That seems odd as I was told they try to flight teams based on total team HDCP.  So if they try and flight it why would they not set tees? 

Last Tuesday playing Riverdale Dunes with some who played in the 4 Ball the last few years, when I asked if they were signing up? You would think I killed a family member. 

Last year I guess they wanted black or gold tees, other team said red tees...!  It was a joke but the other team would not move off the white tees. They noted they knew the other two players and said both are big hitters and one is solid 3 but they knew the 10 Hdcp on that team has horrid mid / long iron play.  So they wanted to move back to put pressure on that aspect and other team said no way....and would not budge on playing white tees and "per rules" they had too.

They shot even and 2 under and lost 3-2.  The other team 3 HDCP shot even but expected that from the whites. The "horrid long iron"  / 10 Hdcp shot 74.........NET 64.... !  I guess it was all on the front 9.  Looking at score card from the whites I could see that for a big hitter.  Could not overcome the front 9 bulging they got. 

* They said the 10 HDCP player shot a 30 on the front with strokes 

If that is true on picking tees, it seems odd if they go through a process of trying to match up teams based on HDCP totals to try and make it fair and not to set a tee requirement?

• Like 3

Allowing teams in match play to dictate a shorter tee box makes sense to me to avoid screwing over shorter hitters or to work towards their team's strengths. Everyone knows the rules going in and should be prepared for that.

I can see a 10 handicap shooting 74 from shorter tees on a good day for them. Unfortunately the slope/rating system does not accurately account for what extra distance can do to those who are mid handicap players. If I play blues vs blacks (one tee up) at Legacy Ridge that's at least a 5-6 stroke advantage for me (even more so on a 9 hole round where there is less chance for me to have my typical blowup hole due to shorter length and number of holes) whereas the slope and rating say it should only be 2-3 strokes.

If I wanted to "legally" manage my handicap up before a tournament, I'd start playing the tips everywhere. The slope/rating adjustment is not enough to account for what hitting long clubs into every green would do to my score. It is an exponential decay for many mid handicappers.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 4

@Dancin bringing the heat again.  This was a big problem for me when I was at Fox Hill - everybody plays from the white during all league play, games and tourneys and the good players would give up 1, or so, with the rating and slop and shoot 4-6 strokes better.  9/PW instead of 6/7 into a Par 3, every Par 5 could be a 2 shot hole - the handicap system sucks for this when people move up tees.  If a player struggles with irons, then they can drive it and use wedges ala Bryson in his US Open win and shoot well below their number.  Moving up tees is a cheat code for most people with any kind of a game under 80 yards.

Ironically, got paired up with a twosome at Legacy on Sunday morning and one guy drive 7, 10 and I think 15 from the back tees - not like got next to the green, but on the surface.  Shot 65 without really trying.  Rare to see this in a random pairing at a public course.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jda said:

Ironically, got paired up with a twosome at Legacy on Sunday morning and one guy drive 7, 10 and I think 15 from the back tees - not like got next to the green, but on the surface.  Shot 65 without really trying.  Rare to see this in a random pairing at a public course.

I'd bet you played with one of the people playing in the CGA four ball championsip in early May that is always held at Legacy Ridge.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jda said:

I went from 2021/2022 to 2006.  I guess that my WRX card does have a SASE that I can mail it back with.  🙂

I think that the golf manufacturers are just making things up to sell more clubs.  YouTube creators need content so they make videos talking about speed wings, slots, and all of that only to have them disappear in the next iteration.  WRXers desperate for any help will believe anything most of the time - MOI on a putter kills me like if you cannot find the sweet spot of the putter, then fix your swing and don't worry about the club.  If this year's club is so revolutionary, then how can they have another revolutionary club in a year or two... and what does that really say about the revolutionary clubs from 2022, 2020, 2018, 2016, etc.  To me, pure bunk.  Saw a set of Tommy 845s at the thrift store the other day and the material, offset and shafts look just as good as pure steel cavities today (no elastomers) - I supposed that some might not like the distance loss since these are not strong lofted to boost egos, but they sure look like they could play.  Am I a ****** or what?

I can tell differences in driver head tech - not so much shafts and some just feel like different colored versions of the older ones that everybody loved.  I guess that the balanced driver shafts were some new tech.  These might still have new things to offer.

I also did learn that I probably do need to replace my wedges more often.  I still have 200 Series Vokeys that I have to stop using (2023 grooves), but they were probably worn out anyway.  Heard that they might remake the 200 with legal grooves for us schlebs and that they do make them for pros still.

I would have to agree with the overall theme here.

Everyone wants to get better but less than 5% are willing to put in the work. Marketing departments know this and use all the proper buzzwords to suck in the 95%. They tell you its "soo much better at X," but never say they had to make Y worse to do it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I would have to agree with the overall theme here.

Everyone wants to get better but less than 5% are willing to put in the work. Marketing departments know this and use all the proper buzzwords to suck in the 95%. They tell you its "soo much better at X," but never say they had to make Y worse to do it.

My swing is a hot mess and (1) I'm too lazy to fix it and (2) new clubs won't fix it, either. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 years between club changes?  

I did get fit and bought new irons last year.  But my driver is from 2017 (Ping G400), and I just looked and google tells me my 4w is from 2011! (Tour Edge XCG4).

When I did the full bag fitting, I tried a ton of driver heads and shafts. Nothing was even close to my Ping. Fitter told me that the G400 and G400Max are the two things he can never improve on, for the guys that like ‘em. On the 4W, it’s my favorite club, that I just feel very confident in it… so we agreed not to mess with it.  13 y/o FW: just call me Henrik. 

I am a believer in getting the right fit. But beyond that, I’m not sure I even buy most of the incremental improvements. The major sea changes, yes. Persimmon to metal. Steel to graphite. Steel to titanium. Figuring out weight distribution. I’ll buy all of those. But… AI developed faces?  Meh. 

It's a fashion industry.. last year it was red.  This year it’s BLUE!  Go buy! 

Edited by Gmcourtney
  • Like 2

I do feel like I need to add in that there are major changes, but those are definitely fewer and farther between. The adjustable weights and lofts/lies on drivers is a biggie and the newest in the irons was driven by PXG R&D around the foam filled irons. Before that the big change was basically designing drivers completely differently after the invention of the launch monitor forced manufacturers to realize that high launch/low spin is the way to hit the longest shots.

Either way, I still use one-piece forged heads on the irons because they are still the best feeling and most controllable design. I mean, when was the last time there was a big change in MB/CB's? The 50's?!?!

1 hour ago, Gmcourtney said:

I am a believer in getting the right fit. But beyond that, I’m not sure I even buy most of the incremental improvements. The major sea changes, yes.

1000% this. I will never forget the first time I swung a golf club with the right shaft in it for me, it was the butteriest feeling I had ever had to that point.

Forging CBs in the 90s was probably the last major change to them - before this, cast models like DCI, Parallax, 845s, etc were good, but you can tell that they were cast and good luck trying to bend or change them.  You saw some tungsten added lower in the clubheads during some models, but this took weight away from other places in the heads and they were unstable there... probably was a net loss.  If you could find some 90s Hogan Apex or Bridgestone J's Weapons with grooves left, they probably would play really nicely for anybody.

Wilson took weight out of the neck, hosel and bore-through and added it the sweet spot and toe to make blades less heel biased in the 1990s too.  Blades probably peaked in late 90s and early/mid 2000s.  More pure alloy was used at this time too... mostly in Japan.  Miura still makes blades very much like this and Mizuno mp32, mp33 or Titleist 660 still probably have not been beaten.

I would be shocked if anybody could tell a difference in a 2010 ap2 type of club (players cavity with plastics) from a new one.  They have moved weight to the toe, back to center, toe, back to the center so many times and called it revolutionary.  Perhaps my favorite type of change was the black out, polished and satin looks that have come over the years, but hardly any changes to performance.

Feel like fairways peaked in 2010-2013 years.  Tour Edge, Titleist 910 and 913 are still as good as anything today, among many others like Cobra Tour, Callaway Hot.  Adams Golf got these so right that TM bought them for their tech.  Heavier shaft, low center of gravity with a bit of spin - too little spin is a problem in a fairway for most even if they do not know it.  Fairways just got too light to try and get swing speed and playability suffered with lower ball speed, IMO.  I have a newer fairway and it is good once I put some more weight on it.

Late 2010s drivers changed with more forgiveness across the face.  Also saw low spin models for most brands with weights in front - used to have to do this with lead tape.  Not sure that much has changed in the last 5/6 years since all brands got good about this time and steal from each other.  Honma probably make the most hot and consistent head/face, but nearly nobody would know - it doens't matter since the big OEMs will steal the designs from them again.  Cobra had a lot of the f9 copied too - 2019 f9 is an amazing driver still.

Wedges are designs out of the 50s and 60s.  Blades with bottom weighting.  Simple tools that don't really need to change much.  All of the bounces and grinds seemed to confuse people and make them harder to hit - not an improvement for most golfers.  Feel like when the S and L matched the set, everybody was used to the 7-PW and could just make most shots with the S and L with ease - they were harder to hit flops and traps and spinners and other 3% type of shots, but those who need to hit these don't struggle with wedges anyway.

757 Speeder in 83 or 85 grams, Tour X tipped about an inch with tape under the grip in a 905T Driver was my first love, but we had to fit ourselves.  Got a 757 made with a Titleist tip and used it from 913 until about TS and it finally broke.  Tensei 1K Orange in X (cannot do Tour X anymore) tipped with tape under the grip is my new love - 1 inch long this time and I can choke up, or not.  Made a 3 wood shaft the same way.  This keeps me in Titleist stuff and hard to swap brands, but that is OK since I feel that they all are mostly the same anyway.

Anybody do a Club Swingers event?  Did a few in Missouri as the heat and length of the summer had us burnt out - you put a ball with your initials into a hat and the person who draws it puts your clubs in their bag... everybody plays with somebody else's clubs.  Post it note with info about the irons like 1 inch long and 2 degrees strong - wedges and drivers are usually marked.  Everybody had a blast.  It would be like seeing Joel try and play with a 40 gram, senior shaft driver.... or me with a SpaceShip mallet putter.  Most folks shoot about right at their number, some got monstered and everybody learned something about themselves and their game.  We got generous ability to move balls away from rocks, roots, cart paths to protect gear and everybody spent 10-15 minutes on the putting green with their "new" putter.

Edited by jda
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Dancin said:

Allowing teams in match play to dictate a shorter tee box makes sense to me to avoid screwing over shorter hitters or to work towards their team's strengths. Everyone knows the rules going in and should be prepared for that.

We agree to disagree 🤣

I get the aspects "for advantage" and exactly what you note about your game Ie: scoring different to account for having to hit long irons all day into greens is the point. 

I am saying no one should be allowed to pick a tee.  The men's club should set the tee and it should be based on handicaps associated. 

All that does is allow "someone" to pick a tee that allows for them to "save themselves" from not working on / practicing on what they should be.   

By allowing one side to pick to help the weakness they have how is that fair match?    

IE: you have played with David, he never misses fairways or greens for that matter as you know.  Not crazy long, but his game is that rock solid from all the effort and practice he puts in.  So a player who.....lets call it.... has "weaker game" and says "I can beat you but we have to do it on my TERMS." is that really a true match?  

*Yes we force Scott to play the tips and he is a 4-5 hdcp so his hdcp  would play the tips, he is longer then all of us off the tee but that makes him pull driver and we all know that is his weakness.  If  he does not  like it work on driving better and it would not be an issue.   It has also backfired on us a few times too when he is on with driver... 

What is odd is Common Ground is the only one I know that does this?   All the other clubs the tee is set, done, no debate.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jda said:

@Dancin bringing the heat again.  This was a big problem for me when I was at Fox Hill - everybody plays from the white during all league play, games and tourneys and the good players would give up 1, or so, with the rating and slop and shoot 4-6 strokes better.  9/PW instead of 6/7 into a Par 3, every Par 5 could be a 2 shot hole - the handicap system sucks for this when people move up tees.  If a player struggles with irons, then they can drive it and use wedges ala Bryson in his US Open win and shoot well below their number.  Moving up tees is a cheat code for most people with any kind of a game under 80 yards.

Exactly....!  See @Dancin is wrong  🤣   JK

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CDM said:

By allowing one side to pick to help the weakness they have how is that fair match?

There is nothing fair about welfare.  It relies on those that have to give to those that do not have.  Some are happy to spread the wealth and some want to keep what they worked hard to accumulate - and EVERYBODY had 100 different reasons for their position on either giving or receiving.  Handicap in golf is welfare.  Just need the rules to be clear going in so that people can decide if they want to participate in the event.

What is truly fair is to just play straight up and let things fall where they may.  You reap what you have sown - nothing more and nothing less.  However, not much fun for most, right?

I just want to have fun, so I go along with it and enjoy the day.  These events try and appease the masses, not to have a fair outcome.

• Like 2

I do like the flexibility of choosing my tee box in league play. I look at the scorecard and just figure out what tees allow me into most par 4's with a short iron. Then I calculate out how many strokes I will lose versus the pre-assigned tee box. If the pre-assigned tee box gives me 9 strokes, and moving up a tee box only gives me 7, then I look at the 8th and 9th-handicap holes and make an honest assessment if I can easily par those holes outright.

In match play, if I'm giving strokes, I try to minimize it. If I'm getting strokes, it's really based on knowing my opponent's game. I let organizers know "if opponent chooses X tees, I will play from Y tees."

• Like 2

In the midwest, 0 and Plus played the tips, 0-6 up a box, 6-12 up another, etc.  Sometimes gaps of 7 or 8. Handicap calculated from the slope/rating of the box so a +4 could often be a +1 from 74.2/145 on the tips and a 20 would be 14 from 68.1/111 from the whites (whatever, just made those up).  It brings everybody towards the mean with less strokes going here or there.

In some events the tees were flexible by one and you could move up one box for a 1 stroke/9 loss, or back and gain 1 stoke/9.  You also get whatever the slope/rating calculated.  If you were a 6 or 7, but long, you could get to a 11 of 12 by moving back to the tips.  They started doing this since people whined about being a 2 handicap, but were not long (they lack of challenging themselves argument).  Always a privileged adult whining about not getting enough, right?

I just want to complete.  I would rather get slightly not enough than too much.  I would gladly pay a few dollars and get better.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jda said:

Only lost 1 moving up?  

We played up for our Masters Tournament on Saturday, I lost four moving up. That should be pretty similar to a tournament I’ll play back in Nebraska in a couple of weeks. I’ll lose four or five. 

Are their tee ratings really close?

1 hour ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Only lost 1 moving up?  

At Fox Hill, a 5.6 goes to 7 from the blues and 6 from the whites - scorecard found online so not sure if it is the old or new rating, but it was that way when I was a member.  This is a whole different story since many think that Fox Hill is rated too high to begin with, but it is how it works out.  Legacy is 5 to a 3 from Black to Blue.

This is why many clubs/orgs also subtract 1 per nine if you move up.

9 minutes ago, jda said:

At Fox Hill, a 5.6 goes to 7 from the blues and 6 from the whites - scorecard found online so not sure if it is the old or new rating, but it was that way when I was a member.  This is a whole different story since many think that Fox Hill is rated too high to begin with, but it is how it works out.  Legacy is 5 to a 3 from Black to Blue.

This is why many clubs/orgs also subtract 1 per nine if you move up.

Wow. Thats crazy. 

At the two Greeley Courses:

at Highland Hills a 5.3 goes to a 2 from the whites and a six from the blues. 

at Boomerang the 5.3 goes to a 1 and a 4 from the blues. 

At HH several of the whites are within a few steps of the blue. Not worth moving up for 3. But at Bommerang there are big differences, it’s well worth moving up there. 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 3