2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2024

2 hours ago, lunkerking said:

Hi I know this has been asked before but a recommendation for an instructor in the north Denver / Boulder area ?

I’ve been to a couple up here before. Thanks !

I actually just emailed Ed last night to see about getting into something more consistent with him. I would love to cut down those crappy months and be better on my good months.

12 hours ago, Joelness said:

Halleluiah! I'm finally back bitches!

Glad that you are back.

If you are practicing and have the game, then have you considered psychology?  Most people think that the elite players just bring 100% all of the time are always on the top level, but most of them pick and choose when to do this.  The rest of the time, they are plain talented enough to play at below their apex and still do very well, or win - like Tigger taking second at some random mid-July tournament to somebody who nobody remembers when if he brought his Major or Memorial game/attitude, then he would have won by 5 strokes.

Nobody can have their elite game all of the time.  Those that try burn out or have huge slumps.  The best know when to take it to the next level, but they always leave a level to go to.  This is why winning a SINGLE major in Tennis or Golf is such an accomplishment because they know that when everybody cranks it to 11 that winning is nearly impossible.  It is likely easier to win 4 or 5 regular tournaments when everybody is playing at a 7 or 8.

Those who think that they play their best all of the time usually have no idea that they have another level since they have not learned how to ramp it up and down and they are really at a 7 or 8 and think that it is a 10 - they feel that this notion is a farce (it is not.)  As I have said before, I have no desire to practice anymore or really try and I like to cruise around at a 6 or 7 effort level, but I can roll out a 69 or 70 a few times a year anymore when I really want to - it has little to do with the swing and is 100% a mental and focus thing.  They used to beat this into us in college and we had good coaches who understood how to ramp up and then back down when necessary.  For example, you might need to ramp up to get a lead, but then some might need to ramp down to maintain it whereas others need to stay up to keep it.  Most need to ramp down a bit to close.

It can really mess with you (in a good way) when you are gunning for a 7 or 8 effort level and you are performing at some of the highest that you have in a while.  This is when you know that you have another level that you can go to.

I don't have any good books to recommend to individual sports players - the ones that I have read are for when people are trying to take things from you (team sports with defense).  However, it seems that minds prepared for team sports do quite well with individual sports too.

If just playing a mid-week round, switch bags with somebody that you are playing with at random AND give another few strokes a side to your playing partners - this relies on all of your skills both with feel/touch where you have to feel the driver shaft and the flex and torque since it is not what you are used to... and playing under pressure.  Play the back tees where you have to tee off with a 7 iron, then can use your whole bag.  Never bend over to read a putt (doesn't work at your home club where you know the greens) - elevates the other senses like the feel of your feet and reading the whole green instead of just your putt.  If you need a putting reset, then switch putters for the round with somebody on the tee box.  You can force yourself to elevate parts of your game.  Most mentally tough golfers who understand what you are doing will be happy to switch with you for a round - they get it.  All of these switchups are common in other sports - like going opposite field when in a slump in baseball/softball, pump fake and drive instead of launch a three, slant to get a QB with a few missed back on track... you get it.  More of these would make golfers better, IMO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lunkerking said:

Hi I know this has been asked before but a recommendation for an instructor in the north Denver / Boulder area ?

I’ve been to a couple up here before. Thanks !

Keith Martin at Twin Peaks seems to be very good with most basic things for everybody.  Have never heard anybody who was unhappy with him.  He is as sure of a thing that I know of until you need some pretty advanced help and then he will probably recommend you to somebody else.  Most of the time you have mostly love but some hate with instructors, but not him.  FWIW - I have never seen him, just going off of what I have heard.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

I'm playing Walnut on Friday.  Remind me again if it's walkable? From what I remember the front doesn't seem bad minus the walk from 8 to 9 and the walk up 13 up to 14 is probably a pain but otherwise it doesn't seem awful. 

It's mostly long, gradual inclines and declines--the worst are the uphill holes near the airport, especially when it's windy (since it's the highest point of the course).

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

4 hours ago, Dancin said:

These are always in the best teacher lists

https://www.edoldhamgolf.com/ teaches out of the ranch

https://dansniffingolf.com/ teaches out of omni interlocken

https://trentwearnergolf.com has some of his disciples teaching out of Walnut Creek and Legacy Ridge

What about the south? I need to figure out a couple things with my occasional pull (understanding why I do it) and would like to take my short game to the next level.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

4 hours ago, jda said:

Keith Martin at Twin Peaks seems to be very good with most basic things for everybody.  Have never heard anybody who was unhappy with him.  He is as sure of a thing that I know of until you need some pretty advanced help and then he will probably recommend you to somebody else.  Most of the time you have mostly love but some hate with instructors, but not him.  FWIW - I have never seen him, just going off of what I have heard.

Thanks I think I will give him a shot….I’ve tried some of the others here mentioned but a fresh look would be appreciated.  Hope to be a bigger part of this thread and group in the coming years when I hopefully have more time to play!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dancin said:

Is 54 holes in one day at Wild Horse too much? Already snagged a tee time at 7 and 12 for when I am going. From watching tee times I assume afternoons are less busy and with after 9pm sunset, 54 holes should easily be doable.

I've done it. 

• Like 3

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

18 hours ago, Joelness said:

I need to bring up something deeply personal ATM in regard to my golf game.

How many of you guys have noticed the ebbs and flows of your game? From someone that's practicing/playing every day it's insane.

I would say I noticed it a lot last year where it was almost a perfect four week cycle where I would shoot under par 50%-60% of the time for a month and then I would go through a month where it felt like it fell apart and I couldn't get anything done.

Welp, it appears I'm already through my first ebb of 2024. Ironically, it has been just short of a month since it started.  Our first day in Hawaii I played 36 holes with the ladies (they call them girl-ish trips and every marshal that drives by is jealous, lol) and I was still playing solid shooting 73 at Mauna Kea and 69 at Mauna Lani South. I then walk three days watching the college girls and have 36 again the next day. I wake up and all three of my wood-ish clubs are quacking left, I mean BAD. I also had about a 1.5 week period where I implemented the wrong fix, which straightened the long clubs some but ruined my iron swing.

At the US Open qual Thursday I still played bad and shot 77, but it was mostly putting and was the first "light at the end of the tunnel" round I've had where it felt like the striking was coming around. Then I shot a pretty easy 68 at Fox on Friday and shot 69 today for T1 in the CGA Match play qual. Thankfully I'll even get the 1 seed from my qual for the bracket thanks to the score card playoff.

This has been the case my entire life. I think it's a part of all golfers lives. Does anyone not deal with this?

• Like 3

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

4 hours ago, ASak10 said:

I'm playing Walnut on Friday.  Remind me again if it's walkable? From what I remember the front doesn't seem bad minus the walk from 8 to 9 and the walk up 13 up to 14 is probably a pain but otherwise it doesn't seem awful. 

Have fun. I've been getting out in the Monday men's league there for the past few weeks and it's playing really nice in my opinion. The greens are in really great shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, lunkerking said:

Hope to be a bigger part of this thread and group in the coming years when I hopefully have more time to play!

I have zero time to play, but I post in here all the time! I live vicariously through every else's golf adventures.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2024 at 8:56 PM, Joelness said:

I need to bring up something deeply personal ATM in regard to my golf game.

How many of you guys have noticed the ebbs and flows of your game? From someone that's practicing/playing every day it's insane.

I would say I noticed it a lot last year where it was almost a perfect four week cycle where I would shoot under par 50%-60% of the time for a month and then I would go through a month where it felt like it fell apart and I couldn't get anything done.

Welp, it appears I'm already through my first ebb of 2024. Ironically, it has been just short of a month since it started.  Our first day in Hawaii I played 36 holes with the ladies (they call them girl-ish trips and every marshal that drives by is jealous, lol) and I was still playing solid shooting 73 at Mauna Kea and 69 at Mauna Lani South. I then walk three days watching the college girls and have 36 again the next day. I wake up and all three of my wood-ish clubs are quacking left, I mean BAD. I also had about a 1.5 week period where I implemented the wrong fix, which straightened the long clubs some but ruined my iron swing.

At the US Open qual Thursday I still played bad and shot 77, but it was mostly putting and was the first "light at the end of the tunnel" round I've had where it felt like the striking was coming around. Then I shot a pretty easy 68 at Fox on Friday and shot 69 today for T1 in the CGA Match play qual. Thankfully I'll even get the 1 seed from my qual for the bracket thanks to the score card playoff.

Gratz...!   So you playing any 8.6 HDCP....    😁   JK

Hope you win it all this year...! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2024 at 9:15 PM, Joelness said:

FYI - Those of you that want to play in the Denver City Am (yes they have a ton of net flights too) the signups open May 15th at 9AM here.

On 5/13/2024 at 9:23 PM, Dancin said:

They delayed the signup to the 22nd for the under 2.5 handicap one and the 29th for the 2.5+ flighted one.

I probably would have done this one but not around for the dates. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 8:28 PM, Dancin said:

I did it at Bandon two days in a row carrying my bag for 2 of the 3 rounds. Wild Horse is fairly flat. Commonground has more elevation change from the pictures/video I have seen. But if it is a hot or very windy day I could see taking a cart for the 3rd round.

He did....I was in the room after 36 holes.......... or maybe the bar  😁

Edited by CDM
  • Haha 2

On 5/13/2024 at 9:02 PM, Joelness said:

I also wanted to ask the crew...... What about playing Fox Hill for our meetup? I can talk to management and get a block of tee times for us. It might have to be the afternoon but it could be arranged.

My only "weekend day" without a tournament or golf trip until August appears to be Memorial day. Thoughts?!

I would be down for FH. Sadly Memorial day weekend I will be 5.5/6/0 hrs away.  IF it works for everyone by all means should do it.    If not August works. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'd like to think I feel like Joel right now with a plus handicap and getting man-handled on the course by a couple of mid-cappers for a team match play but alas I'm a plebe with an average game lol....

My partner (a 15.5 index), and me (a 6.2) faced off against a couple of guys that were roughly a 10 and 12 handicap. I shot a 39 on the front with two doubles and quickly went down 5 holes. And one of those holes where I doubled we pushed. Absolutely nuts. Thank goodness they were super cool guys, but I felt like I was in the twilight zone and was completely dejected after I miscalculated scores after 12 to find out we were down 6 holes instead of 5 cause I missed a pop.  

Oh well. We still had a great time despite not having some solid putts drop, but clearly it wouldn't have mattered. Just a bit brutal to get destroyed that much.

Edit: If they were playing a best ball format for a tourney, they would have shot a 6-under on the front nine with no handicap. Brutal.

Edited by thaar
  • Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

15 hours ago, CDM said:

I would be down for FH. Sadly Memorial day weekend I will be 5.5/6/0 hrs away.  IF it works for everyone by all means should do it.    If not August works. 

Same.  Would love to play FH with everyone but Memorial Day is busy with kids soccer tourneys so I won't be able to make it.  If August works then great with me!  At least I hope.  I'm sure some kids events will fill it up but oh well, I'll try! 

14 hours ago, thaar said:

I'd like to think I feel like Joel right now with a plus handicap and getting man-handled on the course by a couple of mid-cappers for a team match play but alas I'm a plebe with an average game lol....

My partner (a 15.5 index), and me (a 6.2) faced off against a couple of guys that were roughly a 10 and 12 handicap. I shot a 39 on the front with two doubles and quickly went down 5 holes. And one of those holes where I doubled we pushed. Absolutely nuts. Thank goodness they were super cool guys, but I felt like I was in the twilight zone and was completely dejected after I miscalculated scores after 12 to find out we were down 6 holes instead of 5 cause I missed a pop.  

Oh well. We still had a great time despite not having some solid putts drop, but clearly it wouldn't have mattered. Just a bit brutal to get destroyed that much.

Edit: If they were playing a best ball format for a tourney, they would have shot a 6-under on the front nine with no handicap. Brutal.

I just spoke to a buddy of mine this morning.  He plays at a right around a 5 Hdcp but is really more like a 3 or so on courses he knows. 

They had there 4 ball match play.  He shot 1 under on the front and was down 1 or 2 which was funny.  I think he said they got back to even on Hole 12.....only to have the other team suddenly become "scratch" golfers and lite them up over the next 4 holes to close them out. 

I think it really is like @Joelness noted and others. All depending on the day. 

Last weekend Friday afternoon I felt like I could not hit face of any club, chip or putt...99% sure I shanked my putter  😂 

Saturday morning felt like normal, hitting it on the face, compressing the ball, chipping was tight and putting good..  Funny thing as much as the it "felt" so different between the two rounds the score was only 5 shots different.   If it was not for having scorecard to reflect on I would have 1000% said Friday round was 10+ shots worse, it just felt that bad.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Sorry, Avs fans, but I called it 12 days ago...

image.jpeg.33862496749ca549e9f3d2475b9630db.jpeg

Walnut really was in good shape on Friday, a little windier than I expected.  I'm so over the wind.  Although on 15 I hit my drive 359 thanks to that wind and downhill shot 😝 I still only managed a par from 70 yards since the wind also took my approach long and left me a really long birdie putt.  Oh well.  We ended up riding instead of walking too, I was way too sore from a hard workout Thursday and quite frankly, I just wanted to relax, have some beers, and hit a golf ball every few minutes. So it worked out well.  Ready for some rounds without a constant wind though! 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dancin said:

Green Valley Ranch golf course sold to private equity group

https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/green-valley-ranch-golf-club-sold/

If I'm reading the article correctly, only the rights to operate the golf course through the year 2100 was sold, not the land itself. Who owns the land? Hamill or Oakwood? Regardless, my guess is that its sky-high green fees are going even higher now. I guess I better use my $110 gift card sooner than later.

I wonder if Hamill's next project is the proposed course to be built just north of the Costco in Parker on the land that Oakwood Homes purchased a few years ago.

Edited by pseudoswede

Yep. Their already insane pricing probably going to go up again next year. Nice sale by Hamill though. The article mentions there were multiple bids so he likely made out pretty good on it. Does anyone know if they ever replaced their irrigation system? I don't remember them doing that and at 23 years that would be coming due soon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Does anyone know if they ever replaced their irrigation system? I don't remember them doing that and at 23 years that would be coming due soon.

Wasn't there a time like 6-7 years ago their bunkers were a hot mess? I believe they also updated their irrigation system at the same time. I could be (and most likely am) wrong, though.

2 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

If I'm reading the article correctly, only the rights to operate the golf course through the year 2100 was sold, not the land itself. Who owns the land? Hamill or Oakwood? Regardless, my guess is that its sky-high green fees are going even higher now. I guess I better use my $110 gift card sooner than later.

I wonder if Hamill's next project is the proposed course to be built just north of the Costco in Parker on the land that Oakwood Homes purchased a few years ago.

From the article, neither Hamill nor Oakwood own the land:

"The land where the course sits is not part of the sale; it is owned by the Town Center Metropolitan District, according to county records..."

• Like 2

I do remember the bunkers being re-done and some changes being made to them.  I do not recall if irrigation work was also done at the same time.  

@Dancin you're probably right about it getting even more expensive. Wonder if they will try to get into Bear Dance/Ridge at CP type pricing.  Which would be a shame, as it's already overpriced on the weekends.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dancin said:

Whoa, they seem to be taking extra joy in tossing them about. When I travel with my clubs I only use a hard case, and I try to insulate the clubs with a bunch of clothes and soft things. This is terrifying.

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS