Colorado WRX 2024

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CDM said:

My 18.6 index carries pretty good, even when traveling with weather.   😁

@Dancin I'll sign the petition I'm sure you're writing up right now to ban @CDM from the CGA. 🤣

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Posted (edited)

If you are playing tournaments at CG you may want to protest if he wins. I know he has played more than 2 rounds since the posting season started.

Funny story about one of the best amateurs in the state (Jon Lindstrom) when he played in the Walnut Creek men's club. He played a guy in the season long match play that everyone knew was a sandbagger that never posted his really good scores. The guy would have less than 10 scores posted for a year and then come out and shoot par or less in a tournament with his 6 or so handicap. Jon did beat him, but I think he had to shoot 65 or something crazy low to win and then immediately afterward reported the guy to his contacts at the CGA and got his handicap adjusted down and the bug put on him that makes it a lot harder for your handicap to go up.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

@Dancin I'll sign the petition I'm sure you're writing up right now to ban @CDM from the CGA. 🤣

.I know some friends who would sign it too  🤣

11 hours ago, Dancin said:

If you are playing tournaments at CG you may want to protest if he wins. I know he has played more than 2 rounds since the posting season started.

Funny story about one of the best amateurs in the state (Jon Lindstrom) when he played in the Walnut Creek men's club. He played a guy in the season long match play that everyone knew was a sandbagger that never posted his really good scores. The guy would have less than 10 scores posted for a year and then come out and shoot par or less in a tournament with his 6 or so handicap. Jon did beat him, but I think he had to shoot 65 or something crazy low to win and then immediately afterward reported the guy to his contacts at the CGA and got his handicap adjusted down and the bug put on him that makes it a lot harder for your handicap to go up.

Whoaaa Whoaaa Whoaaa lets not get all crazy here.....   "Maybe" I have played a few rounds recently but that GHIN app is hard to work, it confuses me, once I get it figured out I will post scores.  Plus I am still recovering from all the injuries over that last few years adding in I am still trying to figuring out a new driver, Ooooooo and I put a new putter grip recently so as we all know that is good for at least 2 months of not posting as I figure that out, @Joelness will back me up on that..........   😎

Changing topic since I am getting uncomfrotable .......... 

Course Updates:

Three buddies played Common Ground yesterday afternoon. *Not sure if any of them really work...!   All said it was in great shape.  The greens are rolling perfect.  Should be great for this weekends first ISP.   *No I am not playing LOL

Two others played Murphy Creek and said it is NOT in good shape.  Pretty rough I guess like last year to start the season.  I did go over to MC on Sunday mid afternoon to get in some range time but it was pretty wet so went over to the putting green and it was in rough shape.  If the greens on the course are like the putting green, I would avoid playing MC for a 2-3 more weeks min. 

Saddle Rock, a friend played and said it is coming into form.  He played it 2 weeks ago in a club event and said its very close, so figure by now with the rain, it is probably good to go.   SR seems hit or miss at times on conditions, and the one thing that I always notice there is NO one fixes ball marks.......!  Not sure why but I seem to notice it there more then anywhere? 

Riverdale Dunes is in great shape early like always... not that I am out playing.... heard it from a friend of a friend.  The greens are rolling perfect but pretty soft, fairways too.  Whatever RD does they seem to be able to keep those greens in great shape all the time.   Granted same as SR people need to FIX BALL MARKS.....!  Seriously how hard is that to do.......!  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CDM said:

Two others played Murphy Creek and said it is NOT in good shape.  Pretty rough I guess like last year to start the season.  I did go over to MC on Sunday mid afternoon to get in some range time but it was pretty wet so went over to the putting green and it was in rough shape.  If the greens on the course are like the putting green, I would avoid playing MC for a 2-3 more weeks min.

Murphy Creek is aerating greens next week. Probably why they didn't do much with them yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CDM said:

Sounds like @Dancin will set it up....!   Should give me time to get my 18.6 to 21.4.....!!!!!   Double Strokes on some holes....!!!!!

Unless we're only a foursome, I would need someone else to help book tee times. Walnut only lets you book one foursome per day. Walnut tee times open up 14 days ahead. $65 to walk weekends.

• Like 2

I’d be down for a CO WRX day at Walnut. I’ve been wanting to play there. I’d help book tee times. 

CGA Fourball tomorrow and Saturday and maybe Sunday. Got to do a practice round with @Joelness today at Legacy Ridge. Always fun to get out with him. I enjoyed the place. Seems like they run a tight ship there. Looking forward to tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Posted (edited)

oof a team double on the first par 3 at Legacy (#4) in 2 man best ball? wtf @Joelness

I can understand a double on 13 as you have to hit that fairway or you are screwed, but that par 3 is benign. Pin must have been near the water and they went hunting trying to make something happen late in the round. Interested to hear what happened there.

Going to be tough for anyone to catch the guys in the lead at LR when they get the easier day at TC tomorrow. They did an almost perfect ham and egg today. +6.1 Parker Edens. lol. Must be itching to get old enough for the senior tour

Edited by Dancin

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 7:56 AM, CDM said:

Riverdale Dunes is in great shape early like always... not that I am out playing.... heard it from a friend of a friend.  The greens are rolling perfect but pretty soft, fairways too.  Whatever RD does they seem to be able to keep those greens in great shape all the time.   Granted same as SR people need to FIX BALL MARKS.....!  Seriously how hard is that to do.......!  

Insider info is that Dee Ann is retiring. The old super from the Knolls course that moved to CO National (Rob) is coming back to replace her. He starts next week out there. He learned from her and spent a lot of time there so he knows the course. However, it's really hard to fill the shoes of a CO Golf HOF supe

6 hours ago, Dancin said:

oof a team double on the first par 3 at Legacy (#4) in 2 man best ball? wtf @Joelness

I can understand a double on 13 as you have to hit that fairway or you are screwed, but that par 3 is benign. Pin must have been near the water and they went hunting trying to make something happen late in the round. Interested to hear what happened there.

Going to be tough for anyone to catch the guys in the lead at LR when they get the easier day at TC tomorrow. They did an almost perfect ham and egg today. +6.1 Parker Edens. lol. Must be itching to get old enough for the senior tour

We started on 10 today. The first double on 13 was my partner hitting the tree, I missed the green and then had a stupid 3-jack from 13'.

Yeah, four was bad. When we were on the tee it felt into the wind and since it was into the wind on 3 I hit a 205 shot from 192 to a back right pin. I hit it like crap and figured it was in the rollers on the left and we struggled to find it. While looking I noticed that the wind felt down all of a sudden and found my ball in a terrible lie in the native on the downslope over the green. I opened up my 60 but didn't get under it and it squirted over the green into the water. My partner hit a bad chip to 40' with a good first putt to 2.5' and didn't even hit the hole for bogey. I tried to hole out my chip after dropping but no bueno. 

I played pretty bad shooting +5 but my partner played his first over par round of the year and it was REALLY bad. I think he actually finished 6-8 of the 18 holes today.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, act0fgod said:

Anyone bidding on the Nebraska golf auctions?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/796795925310175

Ends tonight.  I'm interested in playing prairie club (actually currently have something booked).

Jeebus. If they had posted the golf auctions on the main forum, they probably would've gotten double the closing bids (thinking mainly of the Dismal River and Landmand ones).

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Jeebus. If they had posted the golf auctions on the main forum, they probably would've gotten double the closing bids (thinking mainly of the Dismal River and Landmand ones).

I don't get the high price for the Landmand auction.  The auction doesn't say you'll get to pick your preferred date in advance next year, but hoping the course will do something like that, otherwise $1700 for golf that anyone can book online for $720 makes no sense (and willing to bet the winner may not even play Green Valley).  I guess if you really want to donate $1000 to the Mullen HS football and volleyball team.

The dismal ($269 unaccompanied is what I paid last year) and prairie club ($325+tax) auctions were both a bit under the unaccompanied rate.  For dismal it's also probably pretty good for the club as they'll likely get some lodging and food revenue.

Sand Hills goes to show you the high prices that the truly elite private courses could charge (over $2k per person).

Edit:  I do love that the Mullen high school football coach is a member at Sand Hills.  The teaching turf videos by fried egg talked about how recruiting the local high school athletes for maintenance work important.

Edited by act0fgod
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 6:35 PM, Joelness said:

Yeah, four was bad. When we were on the tee it felt into the wind and since it was into the wind on 3 I hit a 205 shot from 192 to a back right pin. I hit it like crap and figured it was in the rollers on the left and we struggled to find it. While looking I noticed that the wind felt down all of a sudden and found my ball in a terrible lie in the native on the downslope over the green. I opened up my 60 but didn't get under it and it squirted over the green into the water. My partner hit a bad chip to 40' with a good first putt to 2.5' and didn't even hit the hole for bogey. I tried to hole out my chip after dropping but no bueno. 

Dude, same. We started on 1 and it was cold and the wind was from the east, and on 3 I hit 7 iron from like 160 and came up twenty yards short (granted I thinned it), so when I got to 4 and it was 192 I pulled 4 iron (usually a 225 club) expecting to hit a spinny cut and I just hit a rope draw and it was on the very top of that back hill covered in native. Barely found it, chunked one that just got started down the hill and onto the green and had a 30 footer for par. Not easy. 

I drove it great all weekend with the mini driver. Short game and putting was good. Iron play was real bad. It’s always been my weakness. Kind of found something on the last few holes. Typical. Basically just wasn’t in tournament shape. Missed the cut by a mile. Oh well.

Todd Creek’s fairways were in pretty bad shape. Probably won’t be making the trip down there to play that one.  My goal

this year is to play TPC and Wanut. 

• Like 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

14 hours ago, act0fgod said:

Edit:  I do love that the Mullen high school football coach is a member at Sand Hills.  The teaching turf videos by fried egg talked about how recruiting the local high school athletes for maintenance work important.

I first thought this was Mullen High School here in Denver, and thought, "I'm sure there are plenty of parents who are members of these clubs." I'm glad these courses are supporting their in-state high schools.

Posted (edited)

Anyone play yesterday...?  Damn it was cold out in the morning...! 

"If" I had played South Suburban at 7am yesterday I am sure it was would have been pretty much close to freezing temps for the 3.5hr round...!  ........Also had I played I would have recalled how bad you have to stay under the hole at all times at SS...!

Oooooo and I would been able to let everyone know the course overall is in great shape, but had no idea they moved sooo many holes around and that the greens are still growing in from punching over a month ago....?...and they are still using temp green on a par 3 from over a month plus ago....?

......but if only I had played I could have let @Dancin know  🤪

Edited by CDM

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 7:51 AM, pseudoswede said:

I signed up to play FRGC at Indian Peaks on Saturday. I have no idea when I'll be able to swing a club between now and then, and the LW in my signature is still in the shipping box it came in when I bought it in January. I did it as an excuse to be closer to Boulder to help continue moving stuff out of my kid's dorm.

Welp. You can't win the 1st flight by shooting a FIFTY. ONE. on the front nine. That included three penalty strokes, five recovery shots (three on #7), and a lip-out from 12 inches. I improved slightly on the back nine with a 41--highlighted by a birdie on #17 to close out my match play 2&1. My opponent was also playing at an 8, and he shot an 90--and he missed three putts inside 14 inches. The third guy in our group played at an 11, and I believe he didn't break 100. We crushed it, I tell ya.

I'm literally hitting everything as far down on the toe as you can without it being a shank--the ball went in the general direction I wanted, but only about 70-80% of the desired distance. Sadly, I think I'm done with golf until mid-June. I fly back from Korea on June 8, and there is an FRGC event on June 9 at Red Hawk Ridge--unsure how jet-lagged I'm going to be to commit.

Weather-wise, we teed off at 11:36, and it was just chilly enough to justify pants and maybe a light jacket. I was comfortable in my polo and sun sleeves. But the time we finished, it was a very pleasant day.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

I played Friday afternoon at Lone Tree. Teed off at 310pm and it was 78*F. Finished at 720pm and it was 49*F, and super windy nearly the entire round. One of the more miserable conditions I've played in. It probably would have been ok if I knew the temp was going to drop that much. Fortunately, I had pants and packed a sweatshirt. I even had a neck gaiter in my bag from the previous weekend where we had a tournament canceled as I pulled into the parking lot due to the ridiculous cold and rain which eventually turned to snow. But it still wasn't enough. 

I'm starting to really dislike spring in Colorado 😂

• Haha 3

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

On 5/2/2024 at 2:22 PM, CDM said:

Sounds like @Dancin will set it up....!   Should give me time to get my 18.6 to 21.4.....!!!!!   Double Strokes on some holes....!!!!!

I'm in as long as I'm @CDM s partner 🤣

• Haha 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 007iron said:

This Friday? Devil's Thumb is among my favorite courses I've played becuase it's really interesting, quirky, fun and cheap.

Can you get to Battlement Mesa Saturday afternoon instead of 36 at RM? Worth the 40 minute or so drive from GJ.

Man, I maybe can, espically since I'm having a hell of a time getting my rounds comped at Redlands. Battlement Mesa is better?

I'm seeing Battlement just punched

Edited by ztull