Colorado WRX 2024

3 hours ago, jda said:

Anybody play 2 different bags of gear on the regular?  I hear about this with 2 homes, but not so much in the same town.  I got a Sunday Bag, put in an old D, 2i, 4-PW, 52 and putter.  Carried it yesterday with a few tees, balls and had a blast.  It was one my more fun rounds in a while.  No rangefinder or app - just went off of markings on the course.  Felt so olds school to not even have a stand bag.  Shot pretty well for clubs that have been in the basement untouched for years.  I am going to do more of this.  I need a towel and I am all set.  I guess that this is a postable round since I tried and followed the rules, even though I did not take a full bag?  I don't see why not.

I forgot how awesome Titleist 660s are - trajectory, spin and workability (high/low is still easy for me and I can do slight draw or straight but not fade with them) are so much better than even the t100 that I have been using.  They are likely to make a full-time return.  Hit 15 of 18 greens and was close a lot - played the last 4 holes in the sleet too.  I also forgot how awesome DG x100 shafts are in irons.

Does anybody else find that going simple is a lot of fun, or am I just a moron?  I would strongly suggest that anybody with an old set laying around to play a round with them... you might find out that you don't like your current set as much as you think that you do.

I have my hickory set as my second set that I play with all the time! I love it. I often will take it to the par 3 or when I play a round with my kids, it's easier to play from the same tees that way and evens things out a bit for our friendly games. 

You can definitely post those rounds if you want, the club rule is a maximum, there's no minimum amount of clubs you need for it to be "official."  I guess the only wrinkle might be if you have some old wedges in there with non-conforming grooves. But I agree, simpler is often better and it forces you to just play and not overthink things.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ASak10 said:

I have my hickory set as my second set that I play with all the time! I love it. I often will take it to the par 3 or when I play a round with my kids, it's easier to play from the same tees that way and evens things out a bit for our friendly games. 

You can definitely post those rounds if you want, the club rule is a maximum, there's no minimum amount of clubs you need for it to be "official."  I guess the only wrinkle might be if you have some old wedges in there with non-conforming grooves. But I agree, simpler is often better and it forces you to just play and not overthink things.  

I use a half set after the posting season. Not sure if it makes me a better shot maker but I can tell you that it makes my Sunday bag lighter 😉 

• Like 2

I really had a good time.

We used to play 3 club rounds when the heat got awful in the midwest.  I always shot very close to scratch even putting with my sand wedge.  Took 4 wood, 8 iron and 52 degree S.  I know that it made us focus more.  We had a dude with Joel type of length and he took 5 iron, PW and putter and could be +1 to +3 with just these three.  Oh, to be young again.  Amazing that you add in 11 more clubs to get a stroke or two... or none.

• Like 3

Anyone doing the CG Masters event?  Just wondering about it and if it is fun? A course I belong joined is also doing a Masters event but it is a 3 person Shamble.  

Not sure if I should do one or the other? OR just play normal golf?  

Edit:  Someone just texted me that CG just punched the greens.  Will skip it. 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, CDM said:

Anyone doing the CG Masters event?  Just wondering about it and if it is fun? A course I belong joined is also doing a Masters event but it is a 3 person Shamble.  

Not sure if I should do one or the other? OR just play normal golf?  

I’ve played in it in the past and have always had fun.

Not sure I can do this year as the in laws are in town and one kid has a soccer game…but we’ll see.  It’s a fun event since it’s a team best ball score (one net and one cross) and then you’re at the mercy of whatever pro you are paired with for your final score. So in my experience it’s been a much more relaxing and casual round than playing for your own score. Of course everyone in the group is also rooting for each other to do well since it’s a best ball event.

So if you want to play your own ball and keep score but have some fun competition I’d say do the CG event. If you don’t want to be at the mercy of whoever you get paired with (both in the foursome and with the pro) then I’d say just play on your own. I have come to really not like playing scrambles and shambles so I’d vote against that but that is just my personal preference. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

I’ve played in it in the past and have always had fun.

Not sure I can do this year as the in laws are in town and one kid has a soccer game…but we’ll see.  It’s a fun event since it’s a team best ball score (one net and one cross) and then you’re at the mercy of whatever pro you are paired with for your final score. So in my experience it’s been a much more relaxing and casual round than playing for your own score. Of course everyone in the group is also rooting for each other to do well since it’s a best ball event.

So if you want to play your own ball and keep score but have some fun competition I’d say do the CG event. If you don’t want to be at the mercy of whoever you get paired with (both in the foursome and with the pro) then I’d say just play on your own. I have come to really not like playing scrambles and shambles so I’d vote against that but that is just my personal preference. 

Thanks.  Edited my post and going to skip it this go around as someone texted me and said they just punched.   

5 hours ago, ASak10 said:

They punched Monday and Tuesday this week.  I can't imagine the greens won't be back to normal by the 13th but I get it, may not be worth the risk.

Yea what I was wondering.  I would have played CG one, but having two options to I figured take the one I know will good, baring weather like always. 

The other course punched near 2 weeks go.  So should be perfect by the event. 

• Like 1

Played back nine of Collindale yesterday and back nine of Mariana Butte today. Collindale looks great. Mariana looks rough, bunch of dead spots in the fairways, but my guess is they always winter harder than Collindale. 

Game feeling good, not tinkering with equipment this year. I think Taylormade mini BRNR has permanently benched the big ol’ Paradym. All about finding fairways this year. Can’t hit greens if you don’t hit fairways, at least not at Collindale. 

Got signed up for the CGA fourball at the beginning of May. Looking forward to that. 

• Like 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 4/3/2024 at 3:25 PM, CDM said:

Yea what I was wondering.  I would have played CG one, but having two options to I figured take the one I know will good, baring weather like always. 

The other course punched near 2 weeks go.  So should be perfect by the event. 

CGGC has been in great shape in the past within a few days of aerating.  Might be a little sandy but rolls great.  Masters event is fun but outcome is totally random depending on the pro you are assigned.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, birdiemachine said:

CGGC has been in great shape in the past within a few days of aerating.  Might be a little sandy but rolls great.  Masters event is fun but outcome is totally random depending on the pro you are assigned.

Played today at CG.  Fairly smooth for the amount of sand. More then we figured there would be.

Watching approaches land and seeing sand splash you know there is a decent amount but rolled pretty smooth as noted.

It was nice to get round in at CG this year. Winf was brutal for like 6-7 holes though 

• Like 2

We had an event Saturday. Talk about brutal. Cold and super windy. Near the end of the round, I hit my 200yd club from 150 and landed pin high. It was frustrating and amusing all at the same time. GHIN adjusted scores by 3 strokes which I've never seen before. 

I shot an embarrassing 87. I wish I could have blamed the wind more, but I putted absolutely terribly on the front 9, including the dreaded 4-putt and 3 3-putts. So disappointing cause I was driving the ball great, and my approach shots were pretty good. Tough to win any money when you have 5 doubles! 🤬

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Hope all is well. 

We just moved to Longmont from Estes Park and looking for a course for the summer. I'm within walking distance to Ute Creek which appears to be roughly $2k for the season. I've also thought about looking into the Fox Hill Club but don't see their fees listed anywhere. 

Anyone in the area have suggestions as to what I should look at? Have never played in the area so open to anything.

Of note is that I'm just learning the game and hoping to take lessons and play about two days a week. Also need a place to store my clubs as I'll be biking - my wife and I only had one car in Estes and would prefer not to purchase a second if possible.

Edited by EstesPark
  • Like 2

I live on #7 at Ute.  Ute is a very competent public course that is usually not all that busy outside of Holidays and Weekends before 2:00, or so.  The chipping green area is pretty decent and you don't even have to pay to use it - we just go up there and chip around and hit bunker shots and balls are nearly always out for this.  I am pretty sure that they will not store your clubs, but if you can walk, then no big deal.  They usually open quickly in the winter - not many trees to keep the sun from melting the course.  The pro there is capable of teaching new people (most are, right?) and MOST people like him.

Fox Hill is a very reasonably priced private club if you are looking for that experience.  You can go from Ute Creek area to Fox Hill on bike/walking paths and never have to ride on a busy street.  I have no idea who does lessons at Fox Hill - I am sure that @Joelness will chime in.  Fox Hill will be more than Ute, but if you want a club experience, there is probably not a better value.

Both courses are easy walks, but Ute is more distance.  Ute can get a bit slow during busy play - as a member, you can usually get an early tee time and get around quite quickly with the other members.  You can nearly always count on a 4 hour round at Fox Hill - it is in their culture and they MEAN IT.  Both have mens club, league night and events and stuff.

If you decide club or public, either is going to probably be great for you.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, EstesPark said:

Hope all is well. 

We just moved to Longmont from Estes Park and looking for a course for the summer. I'm within walking distance to Ute Creek which appears to be roughly $2k for the season. I've also thought about looking into the Fox Hill Club but don't see their fees listed anywhere. 

Anyone in the area have suggestions as to what I should look at? Have never played in the area so open to anything.

Of note is that I'm just learning the game and hoping to take lessons and play about two days a week. Also need a place to store my clubs as I'll be biking - my wife and I only had one car in Estes and would prefer not to purchase a second if possible.

That's not a bad price at all for annual unlimited for Ute Creek. Play about 40 times and you are ahead, but I doubt they will store your clubs. Fox Hill is around 3-4x that (depending upon your age) plus an initiation although they might negotiate on the initiation. They will be able to store your clubs and you'll have faster golf rounds though. Without monopolizing your family car every time you play those are really your only legitimate options. You wouldn't want to play Twin Peaks or Sunset all the time.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jda said:

I live on #7 at Ute.  Ute is a very competent public course that is usually not all that busy outside of Holidays and Weekends before 2:00, or so.  The chipping green area is pretty decent and you don't even have to pay to use it - we just go up there and chip around and hit bunker shots and balls are nearly always out for this.  I am pretty sure that they will not store your clubs, but if you can walk, then no big deal.  They usually open quickly in the winter - not many trees to keep the sun from melting the course.  The pro there is capable of teaching new people (most are, right?) and MOST people like him.

Fox Hill is a very reasonably priced private club if you are looking for that experience.  You can go from Ute Creek area to Fox Hill on bike/walking paths and never have to ride on a busy street.  I have no idea who does lessons at Fox Hill - I am sure that @Joelness will chime in.  Fox Hill will be more than Ute, but if you want a club experience, there is probably not a better value.

Both courses are easy walks, but Ute is more distance.  Ute can get a bit slow during busy play - as a member, you can usually get an early tee time and get around quite quickly with the other members.  You can nearly always count on a 4 hour round at Fox Hill - it is in their culture and they MEAN IT.  Both have mens club, league night and events and stuff.

If you decide club or public, either is going to probably be great for you.

Amazing info - thank you so much. We just moved into the apartment complex next to the Jim Hamm Nature Arewill likely look to play afternoons during the weekday. Heavily leaning toward Ute just for the access

Again, thanks for all of your info.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dancin said:

That's not a bad price at all for annual unlimited for Ute Creek. Play about 40 times and you are ahead, but I doubt they will store your clubs. Fox Hill is around 3-4x that plus an initiation although they might negotiate on the initiation. They will be able to store your clubs and you'll have faster golf rounds though. Without monopolizing your family car every time you play those are really your only legitimate options. You wouldn't want to play Twin Peaks or Sunset all the time.

Appreciate your time. The Estes course had lockers for rent so I was hoping it was a common offer but not super important as I'm a close walk to Ute.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dancin said:

You wouldn't want to play Twin Peaks or Sunset all the time.

More true words have never been spoken.

8 minutes ago, EstesPark said:

We just moved into the apartment complex next to the Jim Hamm Nature Area

I like to drive around play the public courses from Highland Meadows to Riverdale to Walnut Creek.  If you ever get a second car, you can have a great time playing other courses - there are many good public courses in northern Colorado that are not super expensive especially during the week.  I live almost across the street from you at the corner of Sundance and 17th.

You don't ever have to get on the road from your apartment to Ute Creek, so you could bike with your bag.  They do not have lockers that I know of at Ute, but I also have never asked.

• Like 2

Some public courses have lockers but that is pretty rare. Figure out how much you are going to play if you go with Ute Creek. They have 10 and 20 round weekday pass deals that will be cheaper than the annual membership unless you play a lot. Buying those weekday passes you can get 50 rounds for $1710 and if they sell them all year without restriction (it appears from the web site they do),  you could buy a 20 round and then another 20 and see how it goes instead of committing to the annual up front.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Some public courses have lockers but that is pretty rare. Figure out how much you are going to play if you go with Ute Creek. They have 10 and 20 round weekday pass deals that will be cheaper than the annual membership unless you play a lot. Buying those weekday passes you can get 50 rounds for $1710 and if they sell them all year without restriction (it appears from the web site they do),  you could buy a 20 round and then another 20 and see how it goes instead of committing to the annual up front.

Great advice - thank you! I might do that route and see how it goes.

• Like 1

I will state that Ute Creek is not an easy course for a beginner. Twin Peaks and Sunset would be better with dramatically less chance of losing balls (and a lot cheaper), but a 6 mile bike ride is probably not something you would want to do. Play forward tees at Ute Creek until you have good control otherwise you will just be torturing yourself.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 2

The white tees at Ute have no long carries and are significantly easier than the blues, gold and black.  There are some creeks and water on some holes, but if you are going to golf, then get used to this.  The green side bunker lips need work but this means that you can putt out of most of them right now if you just don't want to fight it while you are learning - no shame in putting out of bunkers and we have had beginner HS players do this a lot and it keeps from crushing them by leaving the ball in the bunker 5 times.  🙂  There are many holes that are wide with not much trouble.

If you are worried about Ute as a new golfer, then Fox Hill will chew you up and spit you out.  Many good golfers won't play there much since it can be such a grind with even good shots in the fairway ending up with branches in your way and stuff.  The members love it, of course.  Character.  If you play here, you will either learn how to hit good shots, or how to play out of trouble, or likely both to some degree - good things to learn either way.

Some people love the challenge and want difficulty.  Either course can provide this if you choose tees appropriately.  Both are real golf courses that if you can find your way around, then you can play anywhere on vacation or with your In Laws or work people or whatever.

Edited by jda
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, jda said:

The white tees at Ute have no long carries and are significantly easier than the blues, gold and black.  There are some creeks and water on some holes, but if you are going to golf, then get used to this.  The green side bunker lips need work but this means that you can putt out of most of them right now if you just don't want to fight it while you are learning - no shame in putting out of bunkers and we have had beginner HS players do this a lot and it keeps from crushing them by leaving the ball in the bunker 5 times.  🙂  There are many holes that are wide with not much trouble.

If you are worried about Ute as a new golfer, then Fox Hill will chew you up and spit you out.  Many good golfers won't play there much since it can be such a grind with even good shots in the fairway ending up with branches in your way and stuff.  The members love it, of course.  Character.  If you play here, you will either learn how to hit good shots, or how to play out of trouble, or likely both to some degree - good things to learn either way.

Some people love the challenge and want difficulty.  Either course can provide this if you choose tees appropriately.  Both are real golf courses that if you can find your way around, then you can play anywhere on vacation or with your In Laws or work people or whatever.

Perfect - thank you.

I think I've decided on sticking with Ute, getting a couple 20 round passes and taking some lessons. Without a car, the location can't be beat and sounds like a great place to learn. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

I really like Ute Creek and Fox Hill. Ute is wider off the tee with bigger greens. Fox Hill is a golfer’s golf course. Good, tough, fair challenge. Twin Peaks might be a good place to learn, but man, a pretty bland snooze fest. 

• Like 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

I must say, I think @jda, @Dancin, and @bobbyclampett!! have done a great job explaining it. Overall, the quality and pace of play would be the difference makers.

I think you're making the right choice starting out at Ute as you are learning. It's definitely wider and a better course to get started on whereas Fox Hill challenges the best. I don't want to repeat them any further so I'll just add the dues. They went up to $425/mo for me this year and I think it's $5,000 down right now. Without doing the math I think the cost starts to even out if you're talking 4x rounds a week. Since my wife plays also we get that done easily. I personally love jumping on any hole I want (as long as it isn't occupied) and getting around super fast in the afternoons, it's a ghost town.

• Like 2

How about another random question for ya'll......

Anyone gotten really good at dealing with calluses? I had not gone full time practice in a couple years and my hards are getting torn up already. I generally just use some cuticle trimmers to cut off the thick stuff and then sand it down with a file but I could use a more regular and effective methodology. 

I never did this, but baseball players, and especially old school ones, pee on their hands.  There is no science behind it, but there are masses that swear that it works.  Smart people who I respected were believers.  They somehow said that it made the hands both softer and more tough at the same time.  Other than some voodoo like this, you are probably doing all that you can.

It is a crazy thing... You have folks who say that they did it and it works.  You have others that say that it is an old wives tale and never did it.  You never see anybody who said that they peed on their hands and it did not work.

I like to file and trim mine after a long soak in the hot tub.  Seems to be easier to work with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

I must say, I think @jda, @Dancin, and @bobbyclampett!! have done a great job explaining it. Overall, the quality and pace of play would be the difference makers.

I think you're making the right choice starting out at Ute as you are learning. It's definitely wider and a better course to get started on whereas Fox Hill challenges the best. I don't want to repeat them any further so I'll just add the dues. They went up to $425/mo for me this year and I think it's $5,000 down right now. Without doing the math I think the cost starts to even out if you're talking 4x rounds a week. Since my wife plays also we get that done easily. I personally love jumping on any hole I want (as long as it isn't occupied) and getting around super fast in the afternoons, it's a ghost town.

Thank you. You have all helped a ton and made this decision easy for me.

I appreciate the help.

• Like 1