2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2024

2 hours ago, Coupeguy23 said:

Most of the guys in the group played to their handicap or higher, our low capper threw up a bit of a stinker lol.

It is early season so to be expected, last i saw we were maybe 4th place? Haven't seen the email reply with finals yet...

Me on the other hand came out swinging! My cap before this was 16.7 but have been hitting the simulator hard this year all through the winter and its paying off!!! Went out and shot a 78, with 3 birdies and a proxy on a par 3. 

How about you guys? Them greens were fast and firm!

We finished outside the money.  How did we play....???....well a bit hard to explain...

The app would not work for me as noted but I know looking at one of the players phone, we were 4 under I think with 7 holes to play and and we went to S*** ......   🤣   Sad part it was the easy holes we messed up.... BAD.  We played the hardest holes great hahaha. 

Shot 79 with 3 doubles so not real happy with the 3 doubles but early season.  

They did give out proxies? App not working is not cool.     Which Par 3 did your team get a proxie for?

Regardless it was fun and glad we got out for early rounds, weather was perfect. 

EDIT:  We got one the of the skins somehow.   So not a total loss.  Honestly I am surprised we did.  On hole 1 which is why I am surprised as it is the #1 Hdcp. So unless you are a ZERO or 1 Hdcp everyone in the field should have gotten a stroke on hole 1 with the 80% rule.  I birdied it for net eagle but I guess no one else did OR if someone did none of the playing partners got par for second score?

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

We played The Ranch yesterday. I’ve never played there previously. I thought it was a fun course. Our greens have been so slow it’s fun to putt on ones that actually roll. 

I don’t think I would want it to be my everyday course as the greens really seem to be the only defense. It’s pretty short and very wide open. I would think you’d quickly get into the habit of swinging for the fences. But it was very enjoyable for the first time. I’d like to go back again now that I’ve seen it once. Have a better idea of where to be. 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 3

Played Legacy on Friday afternoon and shot 77. Driver felt meh, couldn't get any distance but the irons were on point. Greens were still pretty shaggy and had back to back to back 3 putts on 11/12/13. Birdies on 10/15/18 saved the back 9 though. 

Looking forward to the 1st Indian Peaks tourney on Saturday.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

We played The Ranch yesterday. I’ve never played there previously. I thought it was a fun course. Our greens have been so slow it’s fun to putt on ones that actually role. 

I don’t think I would want it to be my everyday course as the greens really seem to be the only defense. It’s pretty short and very wide open. I would think you’d quickly get into the habit of swinging for the fences. But it was very enjoyable for the first time. I’d like to go back again now that I’ve seen it once. Have a better idea of where to be. 

I've played The Ranch twice. First in some charity event and then in a club vs club match. Both times I shot low 70s which was really good for me back then and both times felt I would rather be playing any of Legacy Ridge, Walnut Creek, Broadlands or Riverdale Dunes instead. Great facilities. Nice group of members. Bad driving range that seemed to be water logged and muddy both times I was there despite the course being dry. Very average and short course. Not much you could do to improve it either. If they blew up all the greens and put a lot more movement into them ala Doak then I think it would be better.

I happened to be playing against one of the board members or something in the match and when he saw I was a member at another private and knew that I was living just a few minutes away he was pushing me hard to join and the whole time I'm thinking sorry dude I'd rather be at Walnut Creek playing a 4.5 hour round than playing faster rounds at The Ranch. It's been over 7 years since I last played it. Maybe I'll give it another chance this year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dancin said:

I've played The Ranch twice. First in some charity event and then in a club vs club match. Both times I shot low 70s which was really good for me back then and both times felt I would rather be playing any of Legacy Ridge, Walnut Creek, Broadlands or Riverdale Dunes instead. Great facilities. Nice group of members. Bad driving range that seemed to be water logged and muddy both times I was there despite the course being dry. Very average and short course. Not much you could do to improve it either. If they blew up all the greens and put a lot more movement into them ala Doak then I think it would be better.

I happened to be playing against one of the board members or something in the match and when he saw I was a member at another private and knew that I was living just a few minutes away he was pushing me hard to join and the whole time I'm thinking sorry dude I'd rather be at Walnut Creek playing a 4.5 hour round than playing faster rounds at The Ranch. It's been over 7 years since I last played it. Maybe I'll give it another chance this year.

Yeah,the range is tiny. And ends at 275 yards. There is a sign there that says if you hit past the distance, privileges could be suspended. 

I haven’t played those others you mentioned but once or twice each , but I would also definitely choose them over the Ranch if I had to play it regularly. But I’m glad I got to play is at least once, and if invited back, I’ll give it another go. And the pace was great!

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Coupeguy23 said:

Most of the guys in the group played to their handicap or higher, our low capper threw up a bit of a stinker lol.

It is early season so to be expected, last i saw we were maybe 4th place? Haven't seen the email reply with finals yet...

Me on the other hand came out swinging! My cap before this was 16.7 but have been hitting the simulator hard this year all through the winter and its paying off!!! Went out and shot a 78, with 3 birdies and a proxy on a par 3. 

How about you guys? Them greens were fast and firm!

Duuuuuude, glad I didn't play against that. I would've had to shoot 60 to tie?

Great round man. Sounds like someone needs to sign you as a men's league partner this year, pay you a salary.

20 hours ago, CDM said:

We finished outside the money.  How did we play....???....well a bit hard to explain...

The app would not work for me as noted but I know looking at one of the players phone, we were 4 under I think with 7 holes to play and and we went to S*** ......   🤣   Sad part it was the easy holes we messed up.... BAD.  We played the hardest holes great hahaha. 

Shot 79 with 3 doubles so not real happy with the 3 doubles but early season.  

They did give out proxies? App not working is not cool.     Which Par 3 did your team get a proxie for?

Regardless it was fun and glad we got out for early rounds, weather was perfect. 

EDIT:  We got one the of the skins somehow.   So not a total loss.  Honestly I am surprised we did.  On hole 1 which is why I am surprised as it is the #1 Hdcp. So unless you are a ZERO or 1 Hdcp everyone in the field should have gotten a stroke on hole 1 with the 80% rule.  I birdied it for net eagle but I guess no one else did OR if someone did none of the playing partners got par for second score?

I got a Proxy on 17, was playing about 218 or so and hit a 5 iron to 3'-4". Sad part was i actually 3 jacked it from that distance for a bogey lol. I had someone else working the APP so we didn't have any troubles with that, hole 1 is notorious for pars and above so not super surprised you got the skin there. Had a great time as usual, you considering joining this men's league this year?

13 hours ago, Joelness said:

Duuuuuude, glad I didn't play against that. I would've had to shoot 60 to tie?

Great round man. Sounds like someone needs to sign you as a men's league partner this year, pay you a salary.

Ha ha no kidding, my last 3 scores from previous rounds have been 92, 90, and a 96... i have a Uneekor EyeXO setup in my basement and have been playing a ton on GS Pro so was grinding all winter long to get in shape for this season (my wife says I'm obsessive, um that is an affirmative lol). I have been as low as a 12.1 but had a kid and we all know how that goes... Although we all know as soon as you post a low one the handicap rockets down, went from a 16.8 to a 14.4 overnight! Hopefully I'm trending in the right direction would love to flirt with single digit handicap this year.

• Like 1

As a 10.6, I shot a 74 at Indian Peak and wrote to tell about it...

I believe it was also the first instance of mentioning Golf Genius on the WRX forums. FRGC was one of the first golf leagues to use it.

• Like 4

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

I used to play Indian Peaks in the early 2000s and always shot low and killed my handicap there. I always felt the rating and slope were way too high. Just checked and they did finally re-rate the course and dropped it down quite a bit.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancin said:

I used to play Indian Peaks in the early 2000s and always shot low and killed my handicap there. I always felt the rating and slope were way too high. Just checked and they did finally re-rate the course and dropped it down quite a bit.

They’re supposed to rerate Highland Hills in Greeley this year. They’ve taken out some critical trees (but are planning to add in course OB because of one). I’m hoping it helps to drop the rating. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

I believe it was also the first instance of mentioning Golf Genius on the WRX forums. FRGC was one of the first golf leagues to use it.

I broke 80 for the 1st time with a 78 at CommonGround when I was a 14cap. This was during a match play thing and the guy I played against was not happy.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 10:14 AM, Coupeguy23 said:

I got a Proxy on 17, was playing about 218 or so and hit a 5 iron to 3'-4". Sad part was i actually 3 jacked it from that distance for a bogey lol. I had someone else working the APP so we didn't have any troubles with that, hole 1 is notorious for pars and above so not super surprised you got the skin there. Had a great time as usual, you considering joining this men's league this year?

17 pin was deep.  I was torn between my 5 Iron and 4 hybrid.  At the last second I went 4 hybrid figured going long would be better.  I tried to back of it and as expected I pulled it left LOL.   I lucked out as it went into the second bunker on the left...SO just escaped going into the water.  🤣   Got up and down but I think I was the only one in our group to par that hole. Thinking about it I think all them 3 putted. 

Two friends are in the men's league so why we played with them. 

I joined Common Ground this year, which for me is rare to join one honestly.  I only joined as 5 friends I play most my golf with have been in the CC club for years.   Looking over the tourney schedule this year I will probably only play 2 events, maybe 3.  Playing with friends locally plus going out of town once or twice month during golf season to play a course I joined I would not have time to do multiple men's clubs.   Plus have to keep the "Wife Agro" at a tolerant level.. LOL   

If I ever did join another one it would Meadow hills, have always liked it. 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 2:14 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

They’re supposed to rerate Highland Hills in Greeley this year. They’ve taken out some critical trees (but are planning to add in course OB because of one). I’m hoping it helps to drop the rating. 

We are losing trees like crazy at Fox Hill also. They took down five or six that come into play. The other 14/15 really aren't in play but they definitely make it look a lot different.

22 minutes ago, ztull said:

Got to play Desert Forest last month, and I LIKED it. Here's a full writeup:

https://straightgross.com/2024/03/28/brooksy-splish-splash/

If you want to up your Hilton game, check out the Hilton Honors forum on FlyerTalk dot com.

• Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

15 hours ago, Joelness said:

We are losing trees like crazy at Fox Hill also. They took down five or six that come into play. The other 14/15 really aren't in play but they definitely make it look a lot different.

CG lost some trees too, most notably on 16.  It was on the right and would cause issues with your approach shot if you went too far right. Now that it's gone I feel like it's a much easier hole and certainly a much easier tee shot.  

• Like 1

For about the 10th or 12 year, I told myself that I am going to step up my on-course game by getting yardage for every shot, reading putts from both sides, taking practice swings, tying my shoes, keeping some stats and all of that.  Oh well, maybe next time...

I did keep some stats today and 10/14 fairways, 6/18 greens and 29 putts on sandy, aerated greens.  I guess that I need to get more aggressive with the big dog to try and get those green numbers up.  I think that these numbers might tell other people different things.  What the stats do not say is that the sandy greens left many balls just off the fringe for easy up/down, 1 putt but no green checkmark.  I did have a three putt which upset me.  Maybe all of these analytics are not for me after all...

• Like 1

There used to be a website that would calculate how likely your number was based on the course stats and your handicap. Subbed in at Fox Hill one night and my partner (who I never met) shot 30 or 31 as a 22 cap - this was like one in a hundred million (lotto type of odds) type of thing except he was probably scratch or better.  I once got 66 at Saddleback as a 3 or 4, but this was like one in a few hundred - plus, it is Saddleback.

Some of you are probably not sandbagging as much as you think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jda said:

There used to be a website that would calculate how likely your number was based on the course stats and your handicap. Subbed in at Fox Hill one night and my partner (who I never met) shot 30 or 31 as a 22 cap - this was like one in a hundred million (lotto type of odds) type of thing except he was probably scratch or better.  I once got 66 at Saddleback as a 3 or 4, but this was like one in a few hundred - plus, it is Saddleback.

Some of you are probably not sandbagging as much as you think.

Handicap is always going to lag a little behind your skill level when you're getting better. It's not really sandbagging, it's just the nature of the system. Eventually it will catch up.

There are some real sandbaggers out there. I know a guy who is consistently around an 8 or 9 and he is the best 8 handicap I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen a 22 shoot 31 bad though. That's just egregious.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:27 AM, Joelness said:

Yeah, I generally skip net match play at this point. I'm sick of shooting 68 (which wins my club champ) and losing 3&2.

We had our first tourney last weekend for South Suburban, and Sam Marley (I'm pretty sure you know who he is) was giving up 8 strokes 🤯. He destroyed the field last year in our club championship. I'm fairly certain he won by 15 strokes lol.

As for my play that day, it was hot and cold. I started off really poorly (+6 thru 3) which is somewhat expected for not swinging a club for nearly 5 months aside from hitting up the range the day before. Tendonitis is still giving me fits unfortunately, but doesn't really impact my swing - just hurts every so often on a swing even with a brace. It was a shotgun start which we started on the 2nd worst hole IMO which I still played decent despite missing an easy putt. Ended up settling down and was +1 thru the next 11, but fell apart for the last 4 holes for an 84. I can't be too upset since I haven't played at all, plus we had a great time. The last four holes may have been part of being tired and a bit tipsy lol. 

Definitely felt great to play again though. I'm to the point where I want to play all of the time and think about golf pretty much constantly. 🍻 to a good season!

• Like 4

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Been a long time since I've checked in around here... hope everyone's spring is starting off well.

Finally made it out this morning for the first round of '24.  Definitely had some serious rust, but felt good to get out.  Was absolutely spraying off the tee... only hit 5/13 fairways.  Some encouraging signs though...  Made two birdies, and had a good look at a 3rd.  

I signed up for the Commonground MC again this year... the schedule looks pretty good for me this year.  Last year, I think I only made it to 2 events.  I'm hoping for 6-8 this year.

• Like 4

On 3/30/2024 at 3:05 PM, Gmcourtney said:

Been a long time since I've checked in around here... hope everyone's spring is starting off well.

Finally made it out this morning for the first round of '24.  Definitely had some serious rust, but felt good to get out.  Was absolutely spraying off the tee... only hit 5/13 fairways.  Some encouraging signs though...  Made two birdies, and had a good look at a 3rd.  

I signed up for the Commonground MC again this year... the schedule looks pretty good for me this year.  Last year, I think I only made it to 2 events.  I'm hoping for 6-8 this year.

Welcome back..! A lot of people on this thread are in CG MC. I signed up as well. Friends I typically play with have been in CGMC for a number years and keep pushing me to join. So gave in.  I "might" play 2-3 events looking schedule, if that. 

Edit: The schedule looks pretty good, just bad timing for me. All on me with family aspects and other set trips not lining up.

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

Anybody play 2 different bags of gear on the regular?  I hear about this with 2 homes, but not so much in the same town.  I got a Sunday Bag, put in an old D, 2i, 4-PW, 52 and putter.  Carried it yesterday with a few tees, balls and had a blast.  It was one my more fun rounds in a while.  No rangefinder or app - just went off of markings on the course.  Felt so olds school to not even have a stand bag.  Shot pretty well for clubs that have been in the basement untouched for years.  I am going to do more of this.  I need a towel and I am all set.  I guess that this is a postable round since I tried and followed the rules, even though I did not take a full bag?  I don't see why not.

I forgot how awesome Titleist 660s are - trajectory, spin and workability (high/low is still easy for me and I can do slight draw or straight but not fade with them) are so much better than even the t100 that I have been using.  They are likely to make a full-time return.  Hit 15 of 18 greens and was close a lot - played the last 4 holes in the sleet too.  I also forgot how awesome DG x100 shafts are in irons.

Does anybody else find that going simple is a lot of fun, or am I just a moron?  I would strongly suggest that anybody with an old set laying around to play a round with them... you might find out that you don't like your current set as much as you think that you do.

• Like 3

I have a set of old cavity back King Cobra II irons I keep in Japan and it always amazes me how easy those get up in the air when I go over and play. The shafts on them are much heavier than what I play now though. I always think about bringing them back and getting them re shafted with a lighter shaft.

• Like 2