2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Advice on Hogan Apex and Hiro Honma irons

Hello Golf Friends

I picked up these Apex irons ($44.00) and I would appreciate advice and confirmation from experts here. I believe they are from 1973 maybe? PW is an Equalizer. Bands even have previous owner's name.

I soaked them in Coke and removed small amounts of rust. Then removed paint with acetone. I redid the colors with nail polish. When they were new, would the grooves have been black? I thought there was a thread where a member redid his father's clubs and did the grooves black.

The grips are original and in fair shape - a little slick and hard but okay. I would like to try and play these clubs, periodically. I would like to put Crosslines on them to play and try to keep the old original grips and replace later if possible, for heritage sake. Could the grips be removed easily without damage and replaced later or should I just play with them as is or just replace? This is my first refurbish of vintage clubs, so I hope its not a crazy question.

I also got a set of Hiro Honma 608/606 irons in immaculate condition, with pretty good grips, and I would like to try similar. The previous owner bought them second hand, played once by his young son and then they sat in a garage for 15 years. I don't need to refurbish at all. I believe they were from the 80's?

I was also wondering, what age in general, do clubs have to be to be considered vintage?

2iv0ili.jpg

2m5m24w.jpg

2wr2ipe.jpg

Honma - the three iron is just wickedly narrow!

Thanks for your input - I was never interested in older clubs until reading and feeling the great enthusiasm on these threads.

2ms26w8.jpg

28qfxd.jpg

2ufbxoj.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried soaking the grips in warm to hot water for 5 mins with a little bit of soap powder then rubbing vigorously with an old rough towel till dry . It works wonders for my clubs old and not so old. Never tried to take off old grips to keep. The Honma are from around 1985/88 . Back then Honma were a quality players brand. FYI the sweet spot is heel side of centre , well it is on my cl708 pros anyway

[quote name='Ozsouthpaw' timestamp='1427697354' post='11243655']
Have you tried soaking the grips in warm to hot water for 5 mins with a little bit of soap powder then rubbing vigorously with an old rough towel till dry . It works wonders for my clubs old and not so old. Never tried to take off old grips to keep. The Honma are from around 1985/88 . Back then Honma were a quality players brand. FYI the sweet spot is heel side of centre , well it is on my cl708 pros anyway
[/quote]

For rubber grips a red or green scotchbrite with dish soap works wonderfully. The harder you scrub the better the result.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Scotch Golfer - I think you're right about the Hogans being the '73 version, in which case you've landed yourself a set of very well regarded irons. Not saying they've got great resale value, but for $44 you've got a really playable set and they seem to have cleaned up into great condition.

I would absolutely regrip those, assuming that the original grips aren't leather. Those heads and shafts (if the flex suits you) are timeless, but in my experience most rubber grips have a definite shelf life, and IMO Hogans definitely fall into this category. You will have no idea how good those irons are going to feel and play until you get decent grips fitted.

In theory, it might be possible to salvage the original grips - but in all honesty, I would probably cut them off myself. There are Golfsmith and Golfworks tools available to prise a grip free of the shaft and pour solvent in to loosen the grip, or you can improvise something yourself. Check this thread out [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/261176-so-you-want-to-save-a-grip-huh/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ave-a-grip-huh/[/url] - I have to say though, I've tried to do something similar with a foot long barbecque skewer and I've found it a painfully slow and difficult process. Perhaps my technique is at fault, but I just abandoned an attempt this weekend to salvage some very good condition cord grips that were probably the last grips I fitted using double-sided tape. More recently, I've fitted grips with single sided masking tape and compressed air, and they're much easier to remove if the mood takes you.

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1427719615' post='11244189']
Scotch Golfer - I think you're right about the Hogans being the '73 version, in which case you've landed yourself a set of very well regarded irons. Not saying they've got great resale value, but for $44 you've got a really playable set and they seem to have cleaned up into great condition.

I would absolutely regrip those, assuming that the original grips aren't leather. Those heads and shafts (if the flex suits you) are timeless, but in my experience most rubber grips have a definite shelf life, and IMO Hogans definitely fall into this category. You will have no idea how good those irons are going to feel and play until you get decent grips fitted.

In theory, it might be possible to salvage the original grips - but in all honesty, I would probably cut them off myself. There are Golfsmith and Golfworks tools available to prise a grip free of the shaft and pour solvent in to loosen the grip, or you can improvise something yourself. Check this thread out [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/261176-so-you-want-to-save-a-grip-huh/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ave-a-grip-huh/[/url] - I have to say though, I've tried to do something similar with a foot long barbecque skewer and I've found it a painfully slow and difficult process. Perhaps my technique is at fault, but I just abandoned an attempt this weekend to salvage some very good condition cord grips that were probably the last grips I fitted using double-sided tape. More recently, I've fitted grips with single sided masking tape and compressed air, and they're much easier to remove if the mood takes you.
[/quote]

Thanks for your info!

[quote name='Scotch Golfer' timestamp='1427852012' post='11257641']
Just got a mint Hogan Power Thrust 2 iron as well, just for the challenge! It might only make the range, but gotta give it a try.
[/quote]

I love to practice with the 2 iron as well, but it rarely goes to the course with me. Nothing will reveal your swing faults more readily than a flat faced long iron. But, if you can get to the point where you're hitting 4 out of 5 solidly with good direction and trajectory then you are a real ballstriker.

I love Jack Nicklaus' advice for practicing with the long irons: never hit more than five shots in a row with it, then hit five with a short iron before you go back to the long iron. Alternating with the short iron keeps your tempo up and your frustration down.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1427916864' post='11263355']
^^^ GOOD ADVICE!!! lol. I prefer my Dynapowered 2 iron to the PC 3 iron. At least I've had more success with it.
[/quote]

IMO Wilson made the best long irons. My Turfrider 2 iron is far easier to hit than any other I've tried...and I've tried a lot over the last two years lol.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1427889230' post='11259755']
[quote name='Scotch Golfer' timestamp='1427852012' post='11257641']
Just got a mint Hogan Power Thrust 2 iron as well, just for the challenge! It might only make the range, but gotta give it a try.
[/quote]

I love to practice with the 2 iron as well, but it rarely goes to the course with me. Nothing will reveal your swing faults more readily than a flat faced long iron. But, if you can get to the point where you're hitting 4 out of 5 solidly with good direction and trajectory then you are a real ballstriker.

I love Jack Nicklaus' advice for practicing with the long irons: never hit more than five shots in a row with it, then hit five with a short iron before you go back to the long iron. Alternating with the short iron keeps your tempo up and your frustration down.
[/quote]

That is great advice - I have noticed, even with hitting too many drives with the driver at the range, that if I try to go to irons, I can no longer hit the irons. Alternating with shorter irons is great idea. I'll take Jack's (and your) advice any time! Thanks.

SG