2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Nike Buy of Titleist (WHAT THE?)

foss69

Not sure if I remember correctly or not though, wasn't there a post going back a month or so ago that NIKE were looking to try and buy TmAG?

There always seems to be rumors like this floating around. To date all are rumors. Ask your self yourself this... What does Nike have to gain from this? You may just answer your own question.

I am not saying that I buy this rumor, but keep in mind that the management of Fortune Brands are there to make money and they are for lack of a better term a venture capital firm. I am not sure what Nike would gain by purchasing a brand like Titleist since Nike already is a player in the same markets as Titleist, but I do not discount that Fortune would sell the brand if management feels the price is right.

Why would they purchase them? Why did Callaway purchase TopFlite and Ben Hogan? Why did True Temper purchase Royal Precision? Patents. Research. Titleist just doesn't sell like TaylorMade. After their balls, which are far and away #1, their clubs don't move like others. Its all about profitability. Everyone needs to quit thinking with their heart, think with your brain. Companies don't just go out and buy another company just because they feel like it. IF this is true (probably not even close to true), but IF, Nike is after something that Titleist has.

I'd bet ball research.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to touch base again on this subject.

Have appreciated everyones input on this subject, a lot of wrx's have sourced some valuable information and I have enjoyed hearing everyone's opinion on this discussion...

Like a lot of people have put forward, TITLEIST is only a small percentage of Fortune Brands companies and I believe that a decision like this would be made based entirely on dollars and cents and not on principles alone....

I have always played TITLEIST balls and gloves because I believe they are they best... Hopefully they are the best for a reason and not just marketing hype... I believe they are due to the Patents and research that Acuschnet own...

If NIKE is serious about the acquisition it will be because it wants the technological advantage that TITLEIST has over the competition... NIKE balls are still lacking and I am sure they realise how important Balls are to overall market share and profitability...

In our Pro shop our number one seller is Pro V1's and X's, that alone is proof alone that at a grass roots level TITLEIST is a giant... And that alone would almost be reason enough for NIKE to try and buy TITLEIST...

According to my mates at NIKE's FT WORTH HQ, NIKE is willing to throw whatever it takes at the golf market to succeed and if that means forking out a few green backs to buy TITLEIST then that is what they will do...

I just hope that someone somehwere on this site is better informed than the rest of us and has some real Information and evidence that we can pour over.

CHEERS WRX's

Just wanted to touch base again on this subject.

Have appreciated everyones input on this subject, a lot of wrx's have sourced some valuable information and I have enjoyed hearing everyone's opinion on this discussion...

Like a lot of people have put forward, TITLEIST is only a small percentage of Fortune Brands companies and I believe that a decision like this would be made based entirely on dollars and cents and not on principles alone....

I have always played TITLEIST balls and gloves because I believe they are they best... Hopefully they are the best for a reason and not just marketing hype... I believe they are due to the Patents and research that Acuschnet own...

If NIKE is serious about the acquisition it will be because it wants the technological advantage that TITLEIST has over the competition... NIKE balls are still lacking and I am sure they realise how important Balls are to overall market share and profitability...

In our Pro shop our number one seller is Pro V1's and X's, that alone is proof alone that at a grass roots level TITLEIST is a giant... And that alone would almost be reason enough for NIKE to try and buy TITLEIST...

According to my mates at NIKE's FT WORTH HQ, NIKE is willing to throw whatever it takes at the golf market to succeed and if that means forking out a few green backs to buy TITLEIST then that is what they will do...

I just hope that someone somehwere on this site is better informed than the rest of us and has some real Information and evidence that we can pour over.

CHEERS WRX's

First of all, the facility in Ft Worth is an R&D and test center, not NikeGolf's HQ. Second, I don't know who your mates are, or who this "staffer" is, but that doesn't sound like any rumor that I have heard floating around. This rumor (and how it came to be) is seriously lacking credibility.

Why is everyone surprised that Nike wants to buy Titleist? All of Titleist strengths are Nike's weaknesses. Titleist dominates the putter and ball market, while Nike is lacking considerably in both areas. Nike is leading the way with technology and marketing, while Titleist is the standard for quality and is dominant at the grassroots level, and with club professionals which is where Nike is hurting the most.

Nike staffers leave Nike because of the ball (Jason Gore recently), and very few have a nike putter in the bag. If Nike can solve these problems with the Pro V and with Cameron, Nike will dominate the golf equipment market in sales and on tour. On top of that you can't overlook Tiger's former relationship with Titleist.

I have no idea if this is going to happen, but to me it sounds like both companies would benefit greatly. Nike gets an image boost, and they get their equipment in more golf course shops, while the Titleist brand gets more money to work with in terms of R&D and sponsorship money. Titleist just lost Ernie, and now the only superstar or player in the top 10 that they have is Adam Scott who has not even won a major yet. To me it would be a perfect fit, but that does mean it is going to happen.

It doesn't really matter.....what Nike has to gain by owning Titleist. Over a nice 30yr old single barrel scotch, Wally and I had a nice laugh, although it only lasted for 30 seconds, that Titleist is not for sale. Fortune Brands could not be less interested in any offer.

Jeez.....who wants to buy a big red bridge? I'll give it to you cheap, just PM me.

Seriously doubt this would happen, even though Nike would probably have the money to do it. Also, as the Titleist brand dominates the ball market, the company is probably massively profitable so any conglomerate is only likely to sell it if other core parts of the company are really struggling and they need the cash.

Personally, I think Nike have been on to a loser from day 1 in terms of the golf equipment market. Over here in the UK I've never seen one golfer with a set of nike irons anywhere. The odd driver and ball show up, and the clothing line does okay, but on the whole, for the investment they've made in Tiger and others I don't think they've got a decent return yet.

I don't play Nike clubs, and haven't felt particularly inclined to play any of their clubs. There's nothing wrong with them, but nothing appreciably better about them either. Same with their balls IMO.

I don't hate Nike by any means but I really think they've misunderstood the golf market in general. Most golfers are male, aged above 30 and probably don't play that much other sport anymore. The Nike brand may be the best for trainers/sneakers, but once your past the age of 30 most people don't really give a toss about 'youth' brands/marketing BS. Fair enough they might attract kids/juniors and hope they stick with them, but most early 20s players I see are still playing mizuno/TM/ping/titleist by then.

There is also an undoubtable degree of ill-will against nike due to their multi-billion dollar profile (mass-manufacturing, global hegemony) and the sense that they just barged they're way into the golf market. Most golfers like the tradition of the game, perhaps even like the idea of precision hand-crafted clubs made by some guy in a shed (perhaps not these days!), or learning with your dad's old rusty clubs, that sort of thing. Not some flashy mass-manufactured shite covered in yellow bits, promoted by some rent-a-smile pro-golfer git who everyone knows only plays them because they get paid $50million a year.

What they should have done is copied the Taylor-made/Adidas model. By owning an equipment brand with a good heritage and good public image, they have boosted their market share by doing what they do best - marketing, but kept the original good reputation and sense of tradition intact to a certain extent. They've also kept clothing as adidas so as to avoid cheapening the Taylormade name by selling pink t-shirts with their logo.

Nike should cut their losses and stick to making soft goods and consumables/balls. If they do buy Titleist, they need to keep Titleist written on their stuff.

This is a reply to TOURPRO and DEMOLITION MAN...

Grow up! Come down off whatever mountain air it is that you're breathing and take a good hard look at yourself...

If you look at the original thread, this was never meant to be a substantiated rumor, it was meant to be an excursion to see if anyone had any hard evidence, otherwise this is a conversation about nothing!!! That has been my stance from the beginning.

As for providing sources for TOURPRO and DEMOLITION MAN... I feel no need to justify or reveal any of my sources...

ONE: I never said that the FT WORTH facility was 'NIKE's HQ' I said that it was 'an' HQ. Which it is for R&D, testing and fitting for tour players (my source there fits the tour staffers)...

TWO: My mates that are NIKE staffers play on nationwide and Mini tours and one of them actually happens to have the US Amateur Trophy sitting in his cabinet at home... (and funnily enough they don't feel the need to go around by a call sign of TOURPRO :drinks: )

THREE: As for myself lacking credibility, as a former tour player, tour caddie and member of the PGA I feel no need to look credible in your eyes....

'MY MATES' and I will just sit around and laugh about all those that feel that the more so called 'tour clubs' they have under their names the more it compensates for other deficiencies (mostly talking about that other site we all love, but if the shoe fits?)

Go on Foss69 (STICK UP FOR YOURSELF)!

Too many people are quick to abuse posts on websites. Whether its clubs that are being sold, points of view or information given.

At the end of the day this post has obviously created interest (a good thing). Personally, I couldn't care less if Nike bought Titleist. I don't get paid be either company so why would I! Equipment is equipment, play what suits you best!

And one last point - If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing!

This is a reply to TOURPRO and DEMOLITION MAN...

Grow up! Come down off whatever mountain air it is that you're breathing and take a good hard look at yourself...

If you look at the original thread, this was never meant to be a substantiated rumor, it was meant to be an excursion to see if anyone had any hard evidence, otherwise this is a conversation about nothing!!! That has been my stance from the beginning.

As for providing sources for TOURPRO and DEMOLITION MAN... I feel no need to justify or reveal any of my sources...

ONE: I never said that the FT WORTH facility was 'NIKE's HQ' I said that it was 'an' HQ. Which it is for R&D, testing and fitting for tour players (my source there fits the tour staffers)...

TWO: My mates that are NIKE staffers play on nationwide and Mini tours and one of them actually happens to have the US Amateur Trophy sitting in his cabinet at home... (and funnily enough they don't feel the need to go around by a call sign of TOURPRO :drinks: )

THREE: As for myself lacking credibility, as a former tour player, tour caddie and member of the PGA I feel no need to look credible in your eyes....

'MY MATES' and I will just sit around and laugh about all those that feel that the more so called 'tour clubs' they have under their names the more it compensates for other deficiencies (mostly talking about that other site we all love, but if the shoe fits?)

By the way go find yourself a real Scotch like TALISKER and then tell me how good that 30yr old you probably paid too much for tastes....

I do apologize in behalf of GolfWRX for the Moderator comments. He was out of line and should have taken the high road. I edited his posts. We do not want you to fear adding things like this on our website. It makes for interesting topics as someone said. We have an open community here and want to keep it that way.

Let's try to keep this thing civil folks before it ends up getting locked. Thanks.

I cleaned it up a little.

Go on Foss69 (STICK UP FOR YOURSELF)!

Too many people are quick to abuse posts on websites. Whether its clubs that are being sold, points of view or information given.

At the end of the day this post has obviously created interest (a good thing). Personally, I couldn't care less if Nike bought Titleist. I don't get paid be either company so why would I! Equipment is equipment, play what suits you best!

And one last point - If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing!

That is right. If you have nothing good to say than say nothing. More over, in our rules here there is a lot said about this.

1 of 3 goals we have is...

-the most open, honest, friendly, and most respected golf forum environment on the web.

And there is much written in the rules. Please keep it clean and positive. If you cant then please post elsewhere.

Richard

I appreciate the support of GolfWrx and have always respected this site...

If you feel the need to edit my earlier post, please feel free... I was a little hot under the collar at the time and do not wish to throw fuel on the fire...

Just wanted to add that I had a PM apology from Demolition Man and just wanted to make sure that his standing with fellow WRX's is not affected in a negative way...

All is smooth sailing...

I don't know what the exchange between you and Demolition Man was like, but as for myself you asked a question and I gave you a response. I don't recall attacking your credibility, I believe my exact words were "this rumor and how it came to be" are seriously lacking credibility. Rumors float around the Tour, The Oven, the van all the time. Most of them are just that, rumor. Gossip. And I never asked you to name a single name did I? Staffer is is quote not to doubt you know him or he is a staffer, but simply because you are not going to give up his identity any sooner than I would want to give up mine. If I really wanted to check your credibility, I wouldn't bother asking you. It would be much easier to ask Mike, Travis, or Rob or anyone else that works at Nike. So exactly why are you so defensive and feel the need to attack me because it really ticks me off. I am tired off people posting stuff then getting bent when someone either answers them or disagrees with them. As for the handle TourPro, the idea was to identify myself as a professional while maintaining anonymity ( which it was suggested that I do ) and to be here to be a part of discussion and answer questions, not get into pissing battles. That has gotten increasingly hard to do. I appreciate the supportive PM's that I have gotten and hope that I was able to pass along some helpful information from time to time. I'm done. :drinks:

Wow...2 of my favorite things - Golf and Investing

I doubt this will ever take place, but it is possible Nike is looking or has looked at the option. However, I do think that if there was any more than just looking at the possibility (i.e. approaching Fortune about the possibility, any discussion, or preliminary negotiations) that someone on Wall Street would have caught wind and the rumor would be in an analyst note or story.

These are first and foremost public companies that are attempting to maximize profit and return on investment. Therefore, Fortune's only reason to sell Acushnet/Titleist would not be because they are short on cash. Most executives will tell you that for the right price anything is for sale.

On a side note - there have been suggestions that Fortune should spin-off Acushnet (or other brands), making it a separate company, in order to maximize profitability and provide better focus for Fortune as a whole.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

• 1 month later...

To beat this dead horse a little more. My next door neighbor works for Cobra Coporate and told me over the weekend some things. I play Tity up and down (keep your thoughts clean guys) and he's been trying to get me to switch over to Cobra for a while and can get me some good numbers on clubs because Cobra's profit margin is really high. Also was mentioned that Titleist's margin is not very good and that Fortune realizes it.

My 2 abe lincolns

Cobra has been very agressive with its advertising lately. Maybe FO is gearing up to shed Titleist.

(<--------- Stirring the pot)

scratch does make some since, to add a little more light on the subject. My next door neighbor works for Cobra Coporate and told me over the weekend some things. I play Tity up and down (keep your thoughts clean guys) and he's been trying to get me to switch over to Cobra for a while and can get me some good numbers on clubs because Cobra's profit margin is really high. Also was mentioned that Titleist's margin is not very good and that Fortune realizes it.

My 2 abe lincolns

I don't see the "rules at the top of every forum" which I have violated. Please do explain so I can further correct my actions in future postings so as to not offend any of my fellow "friends". Erasing my hard written post was not very nice... it was purely informational and only contained mild phrases such as "you kids" and "i'm right"... if that's wrong in the world of posting then I don't know what to do. I was just offering simple math lessons to those who may reside at a remedial status, in a non offensive way of course. If anything I should awarded a metal for trying to help people make money. Good day

Trust me he has pull, but why wouldn't you want to push your own product? The more snakes on the course the better exposure, better exposure leads to more sales, more sales = more $$$. His priority is Cobra, not Titleist. Since I live in a community that is about a mile away from Callaway, Titleist/Cobra/Footjoy, and TMAG headquarters, I have had the opprotunity to meet several people from these companies at our community pool, park, kid parties, etc. Everybody thinks their toy is the best and it's fun watching the friendly banter.

Money talks and time will tell what actually happens. If he has a new parent company that keeps him flying to China once a month and $$$ in the bank-he wont lose any sleep. (we've had this conversation before).

I don't see the "rules at the top of every forum" which I have violated. Please do explain so I can further correct my actions in future postings so as to not offend any of my fellow "friends". Erasing my hard written post was not very nice... it was purely informational and only contained mild phrases such as "you kids" and "i'm right"... if that's wrong in the world of posting then I don't know what to do. I was just offering simple math lessons to those who may reside at a remedial status, in a non offensive way of course. If anything I should awarded a metal for trying to help people make money. Good day

Scratch,

Here are the rules of the board in case you "overlooked" them...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?ac...mp;f=4&id=3

Ping G425 LST w/ GD Tour AD DI 7

TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti w/ Kuro Kage 70

Ping G425 4H w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

Titleist 718 T-MB 4i w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

TaylorMade P790 5-PW w/ MMT 125

Ping i210 UW

Ping Glide 4 Stealth 54/58

Ping PLD Olso 3

I apologize to all whom may have been offended in my banter filled post, I know none of you are children, who am I to say "you kids"? I was merely exercising my constitutional forum right that states this is "A non-biased forum for golf enthusiasts to be able to come online and discuss an array of issues with confidence and without fear of reprisal." Now my information was non-biased, actually came from a corporate exec., and was expressed with confidence oozing from every word when, for effect, I used mildly demeaning words to captivate the attention of my beloved audience, without fear of being called a meany or a bully or having someone threatening my life for useful information. I apologize for "overlooking" the rules Sac, thanks for all your help in leading me to them... they are nice rules.

As for the Cobra thing, I agree with the pushing the products but that's like Microsoft telling people to use Vista instead of XP, either way they are still getting paid. Cobra and Titleist are made by the same company, so he can hit his Cobras and you can play your Titleists and you can take all of his money that Cobra is paying him which in turn is mainly funded by the Titleist name. I see it as a win-win.